Green Lantern: Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern: Where to start?

Greetings everyone! I'll start by giving a little background. Growing up my 2 favorite characters from the comic world were Batman and Spiderman and was completely oblivious to the fact that they were from 2 different companies until I got a little older. I always wanted to get into comics when I was younger, but finding a good starting point was always somewhat daunting as most comics have continuity (or so I thought) being carried on from the time of their inception. A year or two ago I found out about the New 52 stories where a lot of characters got reboots from issue 1 which for me was amazing. I started with Batman and fell down that rabbit hole and got Batman new 52, Batman and Robin, Detective Comics and Batman Incorporated along with the new 52 Justice League which All mak references about each other which is why I bought a lot of the different series.

Now with that said i've been looking to get into Green Lantern and other DC characters preferably set in the new 52 Universe. Upon doing some research and asking a friend who is a bit more knowledgeable with comics I found out that if I want to read the new 52 green lantern series that there are some stories I would first need to read so I could be caught up which I do not mind doing at all. I'm ready to dive head first into the world of Green Lantern and I am ready to drop some money on some books if need be

Below are a list of books I was told to pick up and i'm looking for some confirmation as to whether or not these are good books to catch up with as well as what order I should be reading them in:

- Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 (Green Lantern Omnibus)
    - Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns
    - Absolute Blackest Night
    - Absolute Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Holyroller
    Corps Recruit
    Last edited by Holyroller; 06-06-2015, 01:16 AM.

Originally posted by Holyroller View Post
    Greetings everyone! I'll start by giving a little background. Growing up my 2 favorite characters from the comic world were Batman and Spiderman and was completely oblivious to the fact that they were from 2 different companies until I got a little older. I always wanted to get into comics when I was younger, but finding a good starting point was always somewhat daunting as most comics have continuity (or so I thought) being carried on from the time of their inception. A year or two ago I found out about the New 52 stories where a lot of characters got reboots from issue 1 which for me was amazing. I started with Batman and fell down that rabbit hole and got Batman new 52, Batman and Robin, Detective Comics and Batman Incorporated along with the new 52 Justice League which All mak references about each other which is why I bought a lot of the different series.

Now with that said i've been looking to get into Green Lantern and other DC characters preferably set in the new 52 Universe. Upon doing some research and asking a friend who is a bit more knowledgeable with comics I found out that if I want to read the new 52 green lantern series that there are some stories I would first need to read so I could be caught up which I do not mind doing at all. I'm ready to dive head first into the world of Green Lantern and I am ready to drop some money on some books if need be

Below are a list of books I was told to pick up and i'm looking for some confirmation as to whether or not these are good books to catch up with as well as what order I should be reading them in:

- Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 (Green Lantern Omnibus)
    - Green Lantern: War of the Green Lanterns
    - Absolute Blackest Night
    - Absolute Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey, they completely throw it out every few years, so who knows?

If you want to read GOOD STORIES though, instead of attempting the impossible task of finding a good entry point, I suggest these.

Emerald Dawn

Emerald Dawn 2

The Road Back

The stories above are available in TPB from Amazon. The ones below can be found in local bargain bins.

A Guy and His G'Nort

Mosaic
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-06-2015, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply and i'll have to check those titles out as well I ended up finding my answer elsewhere. I still wanted to read a straight story even if they do constantly change it. The trade order I found is:

1. Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 (2 comes out this august)
      2. Sinestro Corps War
      3. Blackest Night
      4. War of the Green Lanterns

So i'll have plenty of reading material pretty soon

Comment

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble!

Originally posted by Holyroller View Post

1. Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 (2 comes out this august)
        2. Sinestro Corps War
        3. Blackest Night
        4. War of the Green Lanterns
        Yeah, sure. Somebody might tell you to add "Brightest Day" (which was a buildup story about White Lanterns that immediately followed BN), but it's not as important as the ones you listed and a good chunk of it has already been retconned in the New 52 (it's complicated).

I would say that if you're just trying to catch up, "Rage of the Red Lanterns" and "Agent Orange" are almost as important (continuity-wise) as "Sinestro Corps War," but they're not as good (imho).

And as a side note, I remember being a little kid and wondering why the stuff I read in comics didn't seem to match the stories in the Christopher Reeves movies. I assumed everything was in continuity with every appearance.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-07-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Yeah. Upon researching titles to read I found news about Convergence and DC taking off the New 52 branding from a lot of their current titles. That and alternate timelines is where it starts getting really confusing to me. Flash will be the next character i'll probably read after Lantern. I read that convergence (all speculation for now) may allow anything that was retconned pre-flashpoint to exist along side the 20 something new 52 timeline stories as well as the other 20 something new titles they'll be launching in that same universe. Perhaps this means the Lantern stories will still be legit? Probably not the right word to use lol :T

Comment

Yeah, none of us is quite sure about that and if you read the Convergence thread you'll see some of our speculation, but for now what we know is that the New 52 continuity is still the main continuity, but that pre-Flashpoint continuities are available even if only in the multiverse (which essentially means other dimensions).

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Continuity (especially over the whole DC universe) is the kind of thing you pick up over years of reading. Just check out the GL stories you want to read and use Wikipedia or Comic Vine (not to mention this board) when you want to fill in the gaps.

Comment

Unless you're just wanting to have Blackest Night in Absolute form, I have the single issues that I'll sell you. PM me if you're interested.

And welcome to the board.

Comment

Working...
              X