For the Corps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
    My name is Andy, I love this site and board!!!

I started with comics back in the 70s. Back then I only read Marvel (not entirely sure why now): my favorites were Tomb of Dracula, Avengers, and Warlock. After several years, I put comics away for nearly 35 (!) years, only coming back after having been blown away by "Man of Steel". This time, I mostly loved DC comics and animation, and Marvel movies. My favorite characters today are Green Lantern Corps, Superman, and Iron Man.

I had never been much interested in Green Lantern, but after having seen (and fallen in love with) the Animated Series I decided to dive right in with the Omnibus vol. 2 (the Johns era) and WHAP! I was blown away; I really didn't particularly gravitate to one Corps member (except probably Kilowog, loved his portrayal in the abovementioned series), but rather to the Corps itself, and it's been awesome fun back tracking to all the new and old Corps stories and characters.

Welcome Andy, I like your enthusiasm, please don't lose it.

I'm a GLC first guy as well though I do have favorites after that.

Comment

Thanks for the awesome welcomes everybody! And if I do have a favorite it's Kilowog (didja guess?)

Comment

I'm trying to acclimate to the ANAD. I did kind of like the "Ultimates", which was a bit like the (awesome) movies. But I miss the old days (and in my case I mean the OLD days lol). I do really like Brubaker's Cap run.

When it comes to Daredevil, I just plain love that character, my favorite run with him is the Miller "Born Again". I'm currently subscribed, and am really itching to try out the Bendis years.
        Bru's Cap is completely awesome, maybe my favorite Cap run of all time.

Bru's DD is just as good in my humble estimation, really, really great run.

I liked the start of Bendis DD, he had amazing artists on the book with him, but by the end, it was like watching someone strangle a kitten. I was pretty happy to see Bendis leave the series. Some fascinating bits, but written at a 'watching paint dry' speed.

Tough to top Miller for sure. Waid's DD is a bit closer to Stan Lee's run on the book, and kind of fun. But wow, Brubaker's stuff combined the best of everything.

I guess I am still somewhat of a Marvel snob after all. Part of the reason so much of their 'new' new rebooted, relaunch, redux part two flavor of the week is driving me to drink.
        “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
          Bru's Cap is completely awesome, maybe my favorite Cap run of all time.

Bru's DD is just as good in my humble estimation, really, really great run.

I liked the start of Bendis DD, he had amazing artists on the book with him, but by the end, it was like watching someone strangle a kitten. I was pretty happy to see Bendis leave the series. Some fascinating bits, but written at a 'watching paint dry' speed.

Tough to top Miller for sure. Waid's DD is a bit closer to Stan Lee's run on the book, and kind of fun. But wow, Brubaker's stuff combined the best of everything.

I guess I am still somewhat of a Marvel snob after all. Part of the reason so much of their 'new' new rebooted, relaunch, redux part two flavor of the week is driving me to drink.
          This is a very helpful post, thank you! I think I'll start with the Brubaker DD, since I'm simply not familiar with Bendis yet (just starting to get there). I already admire Brubaker, the Cap was practically untouchable in my eyes.

The "Born Again" arc in Daredevil means a lot to me, I just adore that story.

Comment

This is a very helpful post, thank you! I think I'll start with the Brubaker DD, since I'm simply not familiar with Bendis yet (just starting to get there). I already admire Brubaker, the Cap was practically untouchable in my eyes.

The "Born Again" arc in Daredevil means a lot to me, I just adore that story.
            Talking DD is always fun. Talking DD on a GL board is unique. :-)

Born Again is great. Heck, even the Smith/Quesada Marvel Knights run was solid, very much in a Miller mode.

Not sure if you prefer the original comics or collected editions, but they had Bru's run in a couple nice oversized hardcovers at one point.
            “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Lundonj View Post
              Talking DD is always fun. Talking DD on a GL board is unique. :-)

Born Again is great. Heck, even the Smith/Quesada Marvel Knights run was solid, very much in a Miller mode.

Not sure if you prefer the original comics or collected editions, but they had Bru's run in a couple nice oversized hardcovers at one point.
              OO. I'm hitting Amazon, thanks! I go both ways, but usually the collected stuff first.

Comment

OO. I'm hitting Amazon, thanks! I go both ways, but usually the collected stuff first.
                Outside of older comics, I kind of like the nice hardcover collections like I do cable movie channels -- no commercials!

Comment

Not that this has anything to do with anything, but every time I'm on the home page looking at the title of this thread, my mind keeps seeing "For the Corgs!".

Just an interesting little side note.

Comment

Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                    Not that this has anything to do with anything, but every time I'm on the home page looking at the title of this thread, my mind keeps seeing "For the Corgs!".

Just an interesting little side note.
                    But that's a GOOD thing, right?

Comment

But that's a GOOD thing, right?

OH, absolutely! I mean, someday, the Corgis WILL be taking over the Earth.

Comment

lol!

Comment

More likely it will be Heelers

Comment

Originally posted by buffalorock View Post
                            More likely it will be Heelers

Yikes! Can't believe I missed this. So here's my rebuttal:

Comment

lol! Yes, the Hoary Hosts of Hogarth demand it!

Comment

Yikes! Can't believe I missed this. So here's my rebuttal:

Haha, well played sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X