Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 03-02-2021, 03:56 AM   #26
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Right now I'm watching firemen knock down a fire in a vacant business on Sepulveda Boulevard. Several vacant businesses nearby are going to suffer major smoke damage.

I'm told that a homeless woman started it. It's a warm day, so she was probably smoking tobacco or something worse.

They've got to be taken off the streets. It's not even cheaper to leave them out there, let alone is it humane.
That's an aspect that doesn't get the attention that it should. Yes, it sounds cold and calculating, but for onlookers who might be very individualistic, it could strike a chord that the altruistic aspect doesn't. The facts are that when humans are left to the elements, they'll engage in behaviors that inevitably cost society more than those same individuals getting supportive services.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
That's an aspect that doesn't get the attention that it should. Yes, it sounds cold and calculating, but for onlookers who might be very individualistic, it could strike a chord that the altruistic aspect doesn't. The facts are that when humans are left to the elements, they'll engage in behaviors that inevitably cost society more than those same individuals getting supportive services.
If it's costing you more money to be a jerk than it would to behave decently, then it's difficult to defend your attitude.

Some of the costs imposed by the homeless are indirect. Their presence harms everyone's quality of life and wrecks property values.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-02-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #28
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Should a person have to live outdoors because he's a moron?

An awful lot of people think so, but I disagree with that.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:24 PM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

BTW, I've gotten jobs for a couple of those people, who were obviously not morons and who seemed like nice guys. They've done well in them.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #30
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I don't know how I became a do-gooder. This is what usually happens to such people. It's called The Do-Badder and written by the only person who could have written it, John Meston. Check it out before CBS takes it down.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zgmo8
Old 03-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #31
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

These cases are confidential, so I'm not told how they turn out. But I believe they brought that guy indoors, because I haven't seen him around there for a while. I'm told he had been on the streets for at least seven years.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #32
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Well, no they didn't because I just saw him. I think they got most or all of those others in though.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:46 PM   #33
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It's hard to keep any particular area clear of them. And not because more and more people are becoming homeless. It's because water seeks its own level. If there are two lakes and one is at a higher elevation, and you connect them with a channel, water will flow from higher lake to the lower one.

That is, when an area becomes free of the homeless, some who have been living in areas that are crowded with them will tend to move into the newly cleared areas. They have more choices about where to live there, and they can get away from people they don't like.

I've gotten several areas clear of them, and have been surprised to see chronically homeless people -- those whose clothing and so forth show that they've been outdoors for a long time -- show up there before long.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-05-2021 at 03:49 PM.
Old Today, 05:46 PM   #34
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think they finally did get that guy into a room.

And some tents that had been up FOREVER have disappeared.

Something that's shocked me about this though is that at least two-thirds of them resist the idea of moving into free rooms. I thought they'd all jump at the chance.