The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 05-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Default Artist Ethan Van Sciver: Internet Bully?

Ethan Van Sciver: Artist. Douchebag. Coward. Charity-Hater.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Zan_Black_Lantern
Senior Corps Member

Eh read it, not jumping to a conclusion, don't know both sides of the story, only what this guy posted so can't really say whos right or wrong in this situation.

Edit: In all fairness though, isn't he being a tad hypocrital by posting this article and basicaly trying to rally his own friends and fans against Ethan? Just sayin, don't bash someone for being a "Bully" and then act like one yourself.

Edit Again: Also so I'm not being one sided, Ethan probably should have just messaged the guy, told him not to send further prints without his express permission, sent the prints back, and been done with it, both people acted a bit childish here.

Last edited by Zan_Black_Lantern; 05-29-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Zan_Black_Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

tl;dr,
but the things I've read were somewhat strange and very childish on both sides. I mean, just make clear statements that can't be missinterpreted. The Fan seems to be a little bit annoying and demanding, but the way EVS handled the situation was unprofessionally as well.

Last edited by Whitey; 05-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan_Black_Lantern View Post
Edit: In all fairness though, isn't he being a tad hypocrital by posting this article and basicaly trying to rally his own friends and fans against Ethan? Just sayin, don't bash someone for being a "Bully" and then act like one yourself.
I'd say no. He's been labeled as a weirdo and a stalker and all that stuff by someone who put it out to hundreds of people. He's been attacked in a public forum, to which he could not respond to since he was blocked. I don't think he's trying to rally anyone. Just put out his side of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

isnt this the guy who gave evs trouble before? i thought i saw evs post something either on twitter or fb last year about some dude trying to trash him

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhan View Post
I'd say no. He's been labeled as a weirdo and a stalker and all that stuff by someone who put it out to hundreds of people. He's been attacked in a public forum, to which he could not respond to since he was blocked. I don't think he's trying to rally anyone. Just put out his side of the story.
He could have told his side of the story without posting pictures of Ethan and his wife, and without the countless name calling. Getting his POV out there is fine and dandy, but trashing Ethan back isn't mature or very helpful for anyone of us reading it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
He could have told his side of the story without posting pictures of Ethan and his wife, and without the countless name calling. Getting his POV out there is fine and dandy, but trashing Ethan back isn't mature or very helpful for anyone of us reading it.
im curious to see what moose has to say because his name was mentioned in the article

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Zan_Black_Lantern
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
That's what I attempted to state, I simply did not do a good job of it.

Edit: Just noticed, I posted a similar reply on this guys actual post yesterday to no suprise, it's been deleted, seems like this guy only wanted to keep comments that made him look like the victim of a big bad bully.

Last edited by Zan_Black_Lantern; 05-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Zan_Black_Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
im curious to see what moose has to say because his name was mentioned in the article
I believe Moose made a statement regarding the article on his FB page yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/DrWhoFan

Last edited by Jeff; 05-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

It's an obvious misunderstanding. Jeff thought that Sharis was his friend, Sharis saw him as just a fan. And then Jeff sent Ethan prints without a green light. And then Jeff went on to badmouth Ethan and Sharis. Attention seeking idiot.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #11
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
I believe Moose made a statement regarding the article on his FB page yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/DrWhoFan
whoever contacted moose should be to blame for this whole thing imo

i dont know much of evs as a person but thats all i can really say from where im sitting

Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
It's an obvious misunderstanding. Jeff thought that Sharis was his friend, Sharis saw him as just a fan. And then Jeff sent Ethan prints without a green light. And then Jeff went on to badmouth Ethan and Sharis. Attention seeking idiot.
isnt this sharis person the same individual that was harrassing evs like a year ago at some comic convention?

i thought i read an article or even seen a video of evs mentioning someone like that maybe im just loosing it

Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #13
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Sharis is evs's wife
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Also Evs and Mark said harassed a art thief a year or so ago for lying about being affiliated with Dwayne mcduffie just weeks after he died and rightfully so.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...d.php?p=557410
Old 05-30-2012, 03:33 AM   #15
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Our Mod Gljimt is named as one of the people in ethan's Facebook thread
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan_Black_Lantern View Post
That's what I attempted to state, I simply did not do a good job of it.

Edit: Just noticed, I posted a similar reply on this guys actual post yesterday to no suprise, it's been deleted, seems like this guy only wanted to keep comments that made him look like the victim of a big bad bully.
And with that, I say this issue is closed.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I have meet Ethan Van Sciver and Sharis. They invited me and a group of other fans to join them at Universal Studious Halloween Horror nights. They also invited some of house to thier home at another day to Watch MST3K.

The only thing the Van Scivers are guilty of is being too Awesome.

It sounds like Jeff had the best attentions. But when He called Ethan a Hypocrite,he made it personal. You asked him to do you a favor,Insulting him to his wife on her cell phone was just stupid.

I only see Ethan When he comes to MegaCon yet every time I do he treats me like a long lost friend. The Idea of some one calling him a bully frankly pisses me off. To also claim that Ethan and Shairis have something against Charirty is laughable at best. I am pretty sure Sharis dose work with a battered womens orgization, and from what I have herd The Comissions that you see Ethan do at the cons, I herd that he gives that money to a charity.

Don't take my word for it though. Next time Ethan is at a con go meet him. His kindness and goodwill speak for them selves.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

I meet him last year after the DC panel at MegaCon he was not only awesome to me, he spent a few minutes talking to my wife who really didn't want to be there at first and ended up having that as the highlight of the day.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

He once did a little con we have here in Tampa at the double tree. He knew what a huge Sinestro fan I was from the DC message board. He let me sit next to him all day. We talked about comics and he gave me some tips on the little online comics I use to draw. Though I have no illisoun to the limitations of my artistic talents he treated me like I had the potential to be the next Jack Kirby.

Ethan is the best. Any Green Lantern fan that has not taken thier copie of rebirth to get signed is cheating themselves from meeting a great talent and a good man.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Of course, it is still possible for both parties in this to be wonderful human beings who just didn't handle this particular situation very well. It happens. Trying to look past the name calling and hyperbole, it sounds to me like the whole situation could have been easily avoided by simple actions on EITHER side. On the one hand, it strikes me as foolish to EVER put yourself in a position where you are ASSUMING that no response means yes (as the fan did here), but on the other, I find it ludicrous to depend on a total LACK of response to express NO, when an actual NO would have been simple to deliver, and the person asking isn't exactly a total stranger. If somebody tells you that they are going to interpret silence as a yes, even though that's kind of silly, a NO seems like the easiest way to resolve the situation with clarity, especially when dealing with somebody who HAS apparently had sufficient contact with you and you family that expecting a response of SOME kind isn't totally out there.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Of course, it is still possible for both parties in this to be wonderful human beings who just didn't handle this particular situation very well.
I'm 100% sure it started out like that. But when you resort to namecalling, post pictures of somebody's underage son against their explicit will on your blog and delete every comment that disagrees with you, no matter how polite, I'd say that you've turned into the internet equivalent of a third rate soap opera Machiavelli wannabe.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #22
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

What both intrigues and disgusts me about this situation is the control EVS has over his followers- Once he tags a man as something negative, the entire fucking friend list goes after this guy Jeff. He could literally point a finger and say "go kill" and his fans would obey him with question, without reasoning out the situation, without thinking about how immature EVS's actions were in comparison to Jeff's. Yes, I agree the name calling is the sign of a dullard. Making up stories about stalkers is potential defamation of character. Titling your comeback as douchebag and coward is uncool. This is not a stab at EVS, but I have to ask: did any of his FB friends and fans ever stop to consider that EVS played a significant role in what turned out to be a pretty shitty situation for both parties? EVS is not the god his followers think him to be. I stand behind my words without doing the whole "anon" thing, and I don't follow either of the gentlemen.

I will openly admit this: I sent a message to Jeff saying that I'm sorry he had to go through this, and at that very moment, I wanted to burn my copy of Rebirth.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #23
GLJIMT

the poster was corrected by the sites owner... email that EVS recieved from the owner of the site.

Quote:
Aboutheroes.com has apologized! Here's the note I just got:

Mr. Van Sciver,

I’ll keep this short and simple. My name is Omar Valdivieso, Aboutheroes is my website. We’ve met once before at MidOhio con three years ago and you were nothing but nice to my wife and I. Very professional and answered some questions for the site back then.

While it is my website I usually let the reviewers and authors have free reign. I have a newborn at home and to be honest with you I don’t get to read each post as often as I used to. It came to my attention last night by other posters that this article appeared on my site. They were displeased because they didn’t want to be associated with the site if this is the kind of thing we were going to do.

I remember talking to Jeff about it on Saturday and he said he was going to post something about having you return some art to him since he wasn’t friends with you on Facebook. That seemed harmless enough. I had no idea it was going to get so personal and crap like this is something that either stays on Facebook or Twitter (this is why I don’t have either and I don’t want crazy exes to find me too). As soon as I read it I took it down and called Jeff up.

His beef with you is exactly that. It’s between him and you and he can find other means to let out his frustration. He doesn’t represent all of us at AH. I completely understand how you feel towards the website and would expect that kind of reaction from anyone that was bashed like that.

So on behalf of the rest of Aboutheroes.com and myself who has actually met you (but I’m sure it’s really hard to remember everyone you meet brother): We deeply apologize for this whole mess and hope you find it in your heart to let bygones be bygones one day. Oh and I still hold you as the definitive Green Lantern artist!!!
there you go.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #24
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
Our Mod Gljimt is named as one of the people in ethan's Facebook thread
I am? one of what people?

Last edited by GLJIMT; 05-31-2012 at 01:52 AM.
GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #25
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
Also Evs and Mark said harassed a art thief a year or so ago for lying about being affiliated with Dwayne mcduffie just weeks after he died and rightfully so.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...d.php?p=557410
i believe thats the one i was talking about

thank you for setting it straight