The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 01-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #3601
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

any1 here into zombie films, and have maybe seen Operation: Ragnarok??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 AM   #3602
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
Haunt was the surprise hit for me in terms of horror for 2019. Did you guys dig it?
Just finished it. It didn't blow me away, but I definitely liked it and particularly how it ended (no spoilers). In the realm of the-haunted-attraction-is-real horror, I thought it was better than The Houses that October Built.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #3603
BLACK HAND
Green Lantern Initiate

I don't think it was mind blowing but I hope they carry the concept forward into a sequel. It kind of/sort of reminded me of The Funhouse in a way which I think is Hooper's underrated masterpiece. This is more of a modernized updated for the post-SAW generation, and I also thought it did the whole "this haunted horror attraction is real" thing well.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #3604
Space Cop
The Dandy

^The sequel is confirmed? Good for those guys. They did their own thing. It's at least refreshing to see alternatives to the big franchises (unless, of course, it's made into one) and constant horror reboots.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:42 AM   #3605
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Creature (The Titan Find) (1985)

"We found... a child's butterfly collection... but some of zees butterflies... were not too friendly..."

So I thought this was a rip-off of Alien, but it turns out it predates that film by a year so if anything, Alien is a rip-off of Creature.

I have to admit that this is better than I thought it would be, as the visuals are pretty good (for standard def, would look much crisper in HD) and you get a good reason why the film largely takes place in underground caverns (the ground caves in from the weight of the ship, although I thought it was kinda dumb that so much of the internals are damaged heavily in the process).

While a lot of this does follow tropes out the ass (the corporate shill who commands the expedition, the silent badass female security officer, half the antics of the regular crew, the first death being kind of hard to understand), it does take some unexpected turns (the mind control, the corporate shill wising up eventually).

I did like Klaus Kinski, he was surprisingly good in this. My dad, who dislikes horror flicks, got a good laugh when the one victim's face was ripped off (admittedly it is a good effect, as is the subsequent headshot). We both got a huge kick out of a blatant reference to Howard Hawk's The Thing from Another World.

Overall this film is almost a B+, you can see it actually does some things pretty well that set it apart from other sci-fi/horror films including Alien, but it still needed a little polish in places. This is a solid rental, cheap own, gotta give it the respect it deserves.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:08 AM   #3606
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Creature (The Titan Find) (1985) . . . So I thought this was a rip-off of Alien, but it turns out it predates that film by a year so if anything, Alien is a rip-off of Creature...
Aliens (the Cameron sequel) is 1986, but Scott's Alien was in 1979 and IIRC Creature is widely considered a rip-off or coattail flick to it. But then again, Alien itself borrowed a lot from 1958's It! Terror from Beyond Space (James Rolfe calls it a remake, but that's a bit extreme).
Old 01-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #3607
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I don't know why I kept forgetting to put the S at the end of Aliens. I must still be asleep from this morning.

You know, every time I see these films that borrow so heavily from one another, I wonder which films happened to be coincidence and which took advantage of the floodgates being opened. I'm not going to dredge through the production dates or anything so exhaustive and precise, but one does wonder at times when watching these things.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:22 AM   #3608
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah. I mean that one is clear because it's years later, but I remember some where they were close like The Truman Show and EDTV, where people cried foul. But they were actually both in production at the same time. That kind of thing has more to do with coincidence; the fact that there's only so many plots; and what sociologists call zeitgeist.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #3609
Tazer

Yo.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ne...rce=reddit.com

Quote:
New Version Of Horror Classic The Thing In The Works, Adapted From Lost Original Novel

Blumhouse is reportedly producing a new version of The Thing.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:12 AM   #3610
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Having read "Who Goes There?", I can tell you it'd make for a pretty freaky-looking monster.

...And of course I still don't own a copy of the 1950s version of the film! (Obviously going to hit up eBay tomorrow).
Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 AM   #3611
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Having read "Who Goes There?", I can tell you it'd make for a pretty freaky-looking monster.
I'm almost positive I read it, but I can't remember much of it.

Quote:
...And of course I still don't own a copy of the 1950s version of the film! (Obviously going to hit up eBay tomorrow).
But you've seen it?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:08 PM   #3612
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Saw it several times as a kid, yes. Every chance I got when it was on the boob tube. I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

The short story isn't perfect, really will need some elaboration because it'd work better as an hour-long TV/streaming flick than a theatrical product, but it's definitely solid (even if MacCready is bronze-skinned, with a bronze set of eyes and a bronze beard while wearing bronze clothing, including bronze nipple rings).
Old 01-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #3613
Parrylakks
Comte de la Fere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
any1 here into zombie films, and have maybe seen Operation: Ragnarok??
I used to be really into zombie cinema, but my interest waned around the time Romero died.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:51 PM   #3614
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

So yeah, just ordered a standard def copy of TTFAW --- but wait, what's this!? Suggestions for additional buys include The Day The Earth Stood Still, the mindblowing 1951 classic and the only film that could not only challenge but exceed the brilliance of Howard Hawks!!!

So I then do a quick search and find a load of sellers trying to ditch their 2009 remake copies, and I think, "Hmm, 3-disc special edition on Blu-ray must have something more to it than a shitty remake and mediocre making-of clips." Found a helpful (albeit brief) review on Amazon that THANK FUCKING GOD pointed out that the '51 version is on one of the three discs.

Bought it for barely $5.

I feel better than hitting the goddamn lottery.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:15 PM   #3615
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
I used to be really into zombie cinema, but my interest waned around the time Romero died.
so I'm guessing U haven't seen this then?

its a fun movie for satisfying that Fri-nite popcorn munch-atk ya might get...!

Tazer

Quote:
Old 02-03-2020, 12:07 AM   #3616
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

New Invisible Man film coming, saw an ad on Instagram.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #3617
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
So yeah, just ordered a standard def copy of TTFAW --- but wait, what's this!? Suggestions for additional buys include The Day The Earth Stood Still, the mindblowing 1951 classic and the only film that could not only challenge but exceed the brilliance of Howard Hawks!!!
Both arrived in good condition this afternoon, but Thing '51 is in one of those shitty cardstock-cover snap-side DVD cases instead of a real case. If only the idiot who thought that up could get a slap in the face for every one sold.

Now to pick which one to watch this weekend at my dad's, unless Netflix delivers a winner.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #3618
Space Cop
The Dandy

Speaking of good zombie flicks, I finally saw The Girl with All the Gifts last night and it's one of the best I've seen in the genre in some time. Very interesting; good characters. Really, the zombie apocalypse is done in this flick and serves more as a backdrop, which was cool.

Last edited by Space Cop; 02-05-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #3619
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Saw the Invisible Man trailer on YouTube while eating dinner.

Basically the protag woman is believed to be insane because she can see an invisible man who is trying to kill her.

Except that there really is an invisible man trying to kill her, and he really will fuck people up to get what he wants.

Trailer had some genuinely creepy feels to it, and the idea of a stalker figuring out how to turn invisible and then coming after you is terrifying.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:43 AM   #3620
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Invisible Man trailer looks really good.
I liked the way they are playing the story, that nobody believes this woman and the stalker element. Seems like a no brainer but I can easily see that making for a terrifying story. I may see it in the theater though I havent had time to go lately.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:53 AM   #3621
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm not sure how I feel about a backdoor remake of The Thing. Part of me wants them to leave it alone while another part of me is curious to see what they come up with. It seems the selling point is using the recently discovered early version of Who Goes There? found in Campbell's effects. I just picked up a copy of the softcover recently released as Frozen Hell but havent had a chance to read it yet. It appears to be 40 to 50 pages longer than the original short story.

Agent, does the version you have of that story have a ton of misspellings and grammatical errors? I have a few versions of the story but in the original ORIGINAL version that came out in that issue of Astounding Science Fiction is LITTERED with them. Like nobody took the time to proofread anything back then, which amuses me. Fun story though. And you are right about MacReady being bronze everything in that story. It was like Campbell wanted to insert Doc Savage into the story in his own way and that's how he chose to do it.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:47 AM   #3622
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Invisible Man reviews are up.

Most recent trailer:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:13 AM   #3623
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
The Invisible Man trailer looks really good.
I liked the way they are playing the story, that nobody believes this woman and the stalker element. Seems like a no brainer but I can easily see that making for a terrifying story. I may see it in the theater though I havent had time to go lately.
The IM character, as with any character really, has been reinvented from film to film (from tragic scientist originally to framed criminal to reluctant WWII spy), and a lot of the elements of the old don't necessarily need to be preserved (he doesn't need to have world domination fantasies to be a dangerous control freak). Remakes aren't inherently bad, they allow for a new vision of a classic without being a straight imitation of the original. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it can be truly amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about a backdoor remake of The Thing. Part of me wants them to leave it alone while another part of me is curious to see what they come up with. It seems the selling point is using the recently discovered early version of Who Goes There? found in Campbell's effects. I just picked up a copy of the softcover recently released as Frozen Hell but havent had a chance to read it yet. It appears to be 40 to 50 pages longer than the original short story.

Agent, does the version you have of that story have a ton of misspellings and grammatical errors? I have a few versions of the story but in the original ORIGINAL version that came out in that issue of Astounding Science Fiction is LITTERED with them. Like nobody took the time to proofread anything back then, which amuses me. Fun story though. And you are right about MacReady being bronze everything in that story. It was like Campbell wanted to insert Doc Savage into the story in his own way and that's how he chose to do it.
Huh, I thought it was just a closer adaptation of WGH?. If it's being republished in lengthier form, then I might have to check it out. As for how I myself feel about a remake closer to his original vision(s), I'm cautiously optimistic, because we never have gotten a true adaptation and the original description of the Thing is fucking disturbing.

I'll have to dig my copy out again to give you a clear answer, but since I don't remember having any trouble reading it, I'm going to say the anthology copy I have had a competent editorial staff on hand to keep the readers from failing to grasp the horror of the characters' situation.

And I'm glad to see Invisible Man is getting good initial reviews. Knowing me, especially now that I'm going to end up working overtime due to staff shortages, I won't be able to see it in theaters (but then again, I prefer home viewing).
Old 02-27-2020, 11:39 PM   #3624
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
I'll have to dig my copy out again to give you a clear answer, but since I don't remember having any trouble reading it, I'm going to say the anthology copy I have had a competent editorial staff on hand to keep the readers from failing to grasp the horror of the characters' situation.
Just flipped through a couple pages of my copy (doesn't say what year it was published, 1948 is the last year given but the copy is mint so it's obviously not 60-odd years old, it only says Buccaneer Books and lists their phone, fax (!), and AOL E-mail), and it has very competent editing, so now hilariously-bad grammatical shenanigans going on.

I should really read the six other stories in the collection.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #3625
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Jordan Peele is doing a fucking Candyman film.

Mother. Of. God.