Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #301
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I hope it bombs. If WB insists on giving us garbage, it deserves to bomb to show them that we want movies the level of quality of WW.
Yea, it's flopping, projections have only lowered after yesterday.

At this point I'd say the only DC movies guaranteed to be made are Aquaman (since it's already finished shooting) and Wonder Woman 2, everything else is in question after JL's performance so far.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #302
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

I wish you guys would see it for yourselves and make your own judgement instead of just wanting it to fail.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #303
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
I wish you guys would see it for yourselves and make your own judgement instead of just wanting it to fail.
I would. Sales and critics don't usually dissuade me if I'm really interested. But I guess I'd have to say I'm only minutely interested. I haven't liked a Snyder movie in years. I don't like the the look of a lot of the characters. I hated the jokes in the trailer and Flash in particular got on my nerves just from those two minutes (let alone two hours). So, I'm pretty sure I can wait until it hits BD. Maybe I will see it anyway (I have some discount tickets), but there's other movies I'd rather see.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #304
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I saw it and enjoyed it but it was obvious the movie was changed around a bit between filming and editing. I liked a lot of what we got with Cyborg, and while Aquaman is probably the character I was rooting for... I think Mamoa as Aquaman NEEDS the harpoon hand if they insist on giving us *this type* of Aquaman.

The one thing I'd never do as a film agency is hire the competition, didn't they learn anything from the early 2000's? WB thought they struck gold when they got the guy who did the first two X-Men movies to direct Superman Returns [Singer]. And in spite Fox/Marvel got the guy who was supposed to direct Superman Returns originally [Ratner] and BOTH films sucked. If they announce the guy who was originally set to direct Ant Man to do the Atom I MIGHT get excited since he basically said "f Marvel and Disney" on his way out.

I'd give it 7 outta 10.

~//V\\~
Old 11-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #305
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
I saw it and like I said I think Geoff Johns has some blame he clearly had his fingers all over this like in Green Lantern movie

WB/DC just doesnt learn
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #306
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Yeah I’d bet Geoff had a big hand in turning Batman into Tony Stark

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #307
IonFan
Forum Member

i'm sorry but what part of

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
just got back from seeing it
wasn't clear

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #308
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I saw Justice League over the weekend and I left the theater disappointed despite the poor reviews and Rotten Tomatoes score.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #309
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I saw the movie over the weekend expecting it to be an absolute disaster and was pleasantly surprised. The theater saw a packed house on Sunday afternoon and the film ended to a thunderous applause from patrons. It wasn't that great for me, but it was fun and the characters were engaging, elements that had been void in most of DC's films.

The editing was horrible and the villain was weak, but for me, the most disappointing thing was the end credits, mostly because I do not like this version of Luthor. Still, I'll look forward to the next installment.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #310
Space Cop
The Dandy

IIRC, the audience I saw Green Lantern with applauded, but it was the midnight show and they were probably just psyched to be there.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #311
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

As with Green Lantern, the problem isn't so much the gross as it is the budget. Once again, the spending got out of hand. This writer says that JL will have to gross $700M worldwide to show a profit. Wonder Woman has grossed $821M to date.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/justice-...ar-1202211094/

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-21-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #312
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
As with Green Lantern, the problem isn't so much the gross as it is the budget. . .
Yeah. GL actually made back its production budget, but the suspected bloated development and advertising made it a loser. Had it been a small movie or an indie it would've been considered an okay box office but for a big, summer comic movie it was a flop.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:09 AM   #313
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah. GL actually made back its production budget, but the suspected bloated development and advertising made it a loser. Had it been a small movie or an indie it would've been considered an okay box office but for a big, summer comic movie it was a flop.
There was too much unnecessary CGI. They could have written that stuff out. The **cough cough** ring constructs too.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #314
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
There was too much unnecessary CGI. They could have written that stuff out. The **cough cough** ring constructs too.
I agree about it having too much CGI (the suit in particular), but overall I liked how the constructs came out and I've actually used the street battle (where Hal goes from using a shield, to a catapult, to an anti-aircraft gun) as an explanation to people who know I'm a GL fan why I like him more than other heroes.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-21-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:25 AM   #315
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Eh, I'm certainly not rooting for it to fail and I will see it in theaters eventually. The whole ignore critics and make your own judgement ship sailed with BvS, the difference in opening weekends shows that the general audience just isn't going to be invested in the DCEU without good critical reception moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
I saw it and like I said I think Geoff Johns has some blame he clearly had his fingers all over this like in Green Lantern movie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
Yeah I’d bet Geoff had a big hand in turning Batman into Tony Stark
There's probably more than enough blame to go around between Snyder, Tsujihara, Johns and Whedon.

Last edited by Hypo; 11-21-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:28 AM   #316
Space Cop
The Dandy

Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #317
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Super-hero movies tend to use CGI not because it's needed but because they can. If the film makers could do something else that would cost much less and would work just as well or even better, their default mode is to use CGI.

It's stupid. They obviously think CGI itself sells movies.

I've always thought that the Hulk shouldn't be CGI. They should have found another huge bodybuilder like Lou Ferrigno and put green makeup on him. That would have saved a fortune and looked better.

A disturbing possibility is that Justice League might actually lose money.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #318
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

There's probably more than enough blame to go around between Snyder, Tsujihara, Johns and Whedon.
What's convenient about that is that when the blame gets spread around, nobody gets punished.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #319
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

I saw the movie on Friday at my local theater (no 3d, six screens, I can walk to it) and the theater was maybe a third at most of the way full. A lot of people were laughing at the Flash the whole time but otherwise not much fanfare.

I was disappointed, but I thought the movie could have been worse. I probably have the same gripes as anyone and thought the effects were bland, villain was bland, and overall plot was bland. I just didn't care and having Barry Allen drop jokes in every scene got old for me real quick, even if they were funny jokes.

I thought Cyborg was fine and Aquaman was OK, and wish they had never killed Superman because bringing him back was a chore to watch.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #320
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

So "Justice League." All in? ALL BAD!!!

* SPOILERS *

It isn't difficult to figure out that Whedon chopped out probably an hour or more of Snyder's movie, then added about 30 minutes in (apparently more? I'm hearing even Whedon's final version was 2 hours 30 minutes before the studio said "It's gotta be TWO HOURS TOPS! We smell a flop and need to maximize profit!!!" and chopped even his cut). Every time you see Superman it's clear it was from the reshoots... because of the SUPER OBVIOUS CGI on his upper lip to hide the mustache they had to disguise because he was shooting MI6 when the reshoots were happening. I thought for sure they had it handled and it wouldn't be a big deal... but it is! Every time you see him it's like, "What the **** is going on with his face?" I don't want to see this movie ever again but I might if they fix the lip stuff because of how distracting it is. From the end of BvS to all the hubbub about the black suit and beard (Cavill teased the black suit on Twitter), it's easy to surmise that Superman was brought back to life by Steppenwolf and was evil for at least most of the movie in that version. That dirt wasn't levitating at the end of BvS because it knew Batman might think to dig up his grave a year or two later. Seems to be Whedon chopped all of that out, created the very awkward storyline with the League deciding to dig up his body and do it themselves so that Superman can be there in the final battle and he can be all savey and stuff. Aquaman amounts to nothing here, everything about who he is and the Atlanteans in Atlantis is just told in dialogue, not shown. No reason is given to care about Cyborg. Flash is funny and some of his stuff works but it's not enough (to be fair, I did like his part in this better than, say, Quicksilver in the last two X-Men movies, or Quicksilver in Avengers 2). And he is a FAKE Barry Allen. About Batman, you can also spot the reshoot stuff with him... he is noticeably quite a bit chubbier (face a lot flusher, too) in some scenes and more in line with his look in BvS in others. He also seemed to be having a lot of trouble with the material this time around. Wonder Woman is still good, though it's like between Snyder and Whedon, neither one could get a great performance out of her... her line readings here are more stilted and awkward than anything in WW and it sticks out. So much joking around and maybe only half of the jokes land. Nothing about this movie leaves you walking away thinking you got anything in the way of a coherent story or vision... even BvS is better than JL in this way. The "Nightcrawler" was lame an pointless. The "Bat Troop Carrier" isn't remarkable for anything. Final battle is disjointed... you can see the seamlines of the brutal editing (a lot of characters saying the probably newly written lines with their backs to the camera so you can't see what their lips are doing, other stuff, too, etc.). I suspect there is a metric ton of Steppenwolf stuff on the cutting room floor because he isn't anything here... a cardboard villain who literally just wants to destroy the world (I think?). I'd actually really like to see the full Snyder cut of this, if only to get a full grasp of what the original thinking was on everything and what was done, which is easily at a level of a Rogue One overhaul, maybe moreso.

Oh, and the music score is awful. All the news about Elfman is reusing his Batman theme or the Williams Superman theme... these are super brief moments to where you might go, "Hey, is that...?" but then it's gone and never heard again. Super lame. If you're going to do that, don't just tease it. No music in this movie is remotely as powerful or as moving as Zimmer's work in MoS or BvS, not by a long shot.

As much in love with old stories as Snyder was, gee, I wonder where he got the idea with for his JL duology, then. Could it be this man?

Of course it fucking is. When Geoff Johns' own New 52 "Justice League: Origin" is (which is CLEARLY the basis for this movie, either version of it) is only like 4 years old. Just like with the GL movie (in which he was heavily involved and held full creative veto power), though, Geoff has so many angles and people to hide behind. "It was Snyder's fault! N-n-n-obody liked BvS even though I was involved with that one, too!" or "I-I-I tried to help Whedon but by then I could only help so much!"

That sniveling little weasel. Hopefully he goes down with the ship this time. He wishes he was Kevin Feige but he is NOT Kevin Feige.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #321
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Justice League is projected to lose $50-$100M. If I were in charge of that situation, some heads would roll. But I'll be surprised if any do, since none rolled over Green Lantern.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...on-Warner-Bros
Old 11-26-2017, 02:09 AM   #322
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

This is who is responsible. Let's see whether there will be any repercussions for them.

Director: Zack Snyder
Screenwriters: Chris Terrio, Joss Whedon; story by Chris Terrio, Zack Snyder
Producers: Charles Roven, Deborah Snyder, Jon Berg, Geoff Johns

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-26-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #323
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I saw Justice League a few days ago on a matinee with my 11 year old nephew. The movie I saw I would best describe as a hot mess. I would grade it as a solid D+.

I won't buy it on bluray/DVD, and I will likely never see it again. My hope is, that now that this is done, WB and Zack Snyder part ways on their super hero line, and WB starts making movies the quality of Wonder Woman.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #324
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-i...green-lantern/

Quote:
Justice League: Identity of the Green Lantern Possibly Revealed

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:51 PM   #325
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
I'm buying what he's selling. Seems very likely that was the GL of times past they were gong for.