Best Artwork of All Volumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Artwork of All Volumes?

I find the artwork in Volume 4 to be astounding, in every way, from pencils to pens to colors. The style is realistic, detailed, and bright. I love it. The style for Volume 5 seems to be more cartooney, which is nice in its own way, but doesn't carry the same 'mature' look as Volume 4. Anyone else agree?

The artwork is so good, in fact, I can't find any other comic that is equivalent, apart from some put out by DC during the same era. Is there anything that even compares?

Depends on your tastes. I don't think any volume was all good or all bad. My favorites would be (not necessarily in order): Ethan Van Sciver (mostly vol. 4), Neal Adams (vol. 2), and Gil Kane (vol 2).

Comment

So true and I do enjoy the artwork of other volumes, especially throughout Volume 2. But the art in Volume 4 seems to be another level of incredible. It almost seems too good, that they were like "f-- this, this is too much effort, let's find something easier/simple" after that era ended.

Comment

Darryl Banks, bar none.
        The last fan of 1990s comics
        Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
          Darryl Banks, bar none.
          I have to agree, Darryl Banks did the best constructs by far!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Depends on your tastes. I don't think any volume was all good or all bad. My favorites would be (not necessarily in order): Ethan Van Sciver (mostly vol. 4), Neal Adams (vol. 2), and Gil Kane (vol 2).
            Second that. Only thing that brings Kane down, IMHO, was the ghosters who did his fill-ins and inks after about Vol 2 #35. Also favor the Sekowsky and McLaughlin art in JLA vol 1.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen City View Post
              Second that. Only thing that brings Kane down, IMHO, was the ghosters who did his fill-ins and inks after about Vol 2 #35. Also favor the Sekowsky and McLaughlin art in JLA vol 1.
              Yeah, it's amazing how inkers could screw up his pencils. He was by far his own best inker.

Comment

Billy Tan (vol. 5)

just kidding : p

Neal Adams (vol. 2), Ivan Reis (vol. 4), Joe Staton (vol. 2).
                I'd say those are my favorites.
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Outside of a panel here and there....my favorite is Billy Tan....but I've loved his work for a long time. After him it has to be Reis.

Now the worst IMO was Mahnke....he just could NOT draw a man's face looking right at you.

Comment

Originally posted by bjread View Post
                    Now the worst IMO was Mahnke....he just could NOT draw a man's face looking right at you.
                    I agree, he's only good with alien faces.

Comment

Alan Davis draws Hal Jordan like no other. During Hal's exile, the most joy I got was enjoying Alan's JLA The Nail alternative universe tales. Ivan Reis is to Alan Davis, what Phil Jimminez was to George Perez. He is now my all time favorite GL artist and The Sinestro Corps War is my all time favorite GL arc. A close second is Darryl Banks, I loved his art work and his Par(Hal)lax armor is one of my three favorite DC costumes post the Silver Age. The Parralax View arc, with Par(Hal)lax taking out the JLA and Green Lantern #0 were my favorite examples of Banks art.

Comment

Volumes 2 and 4 have the best artwork IMO. Volume 2 has some of my favorite, mosty iconic artists, but volume 4 has more consistently amazing artwork. Say what you want about Geoff writing skills (or lack thereof), but one thing he DID get was the A list artists. I loved EVS, Reis, and Mahnke. Hell, even the fill in artists were better than most regular guys. The entire volume just looks great from beginning to end.

That said, volume 2 has Gil Kane.

Comment

Gil Kane is THE green lantern artist, with Ivan Reis being a close second

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

As much as I love Ivan Reis, Ethan Van Sciver will always be my #1 GL artist.

Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

Carlos Pacheco had a few great issues at the beginning of volume four, but otherwise, I agree with Banks, Van Sciver and Reis.

Comment

Working...
                              X