The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 01-15-2021, 04:52 AM   #176
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Typical liberal. Tries to start a discussion and backpedals.
Someone didn’t click the link to see the definition of what you’re doing.

Yes making Black Panther, the king of an African country, is changing his character just like changing Alan into a gay man. That doesn’t mean it’s the same thing. It’s not like turning Alan gay for an alternate reality book and a TV show changes his entire character like making Black Panther a white man would. At worst, Alan had Jade and Obsidian because he was in the closet. So generally still the same. White Panther would be a completely different story.

Be more like Space Cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^I don't think it's a matter of reflecting or not reflecting the world. It's re-writing the history of a brand to sell a political view.

If you were making all new characters and reflected the diversity as you'd likely come across it, that would be one thing. For instance, if you were making a story about a bunch of twenty-somethings living in modern NYC, it would ridiculous to have them all be straight, white males.

But they're re-writing the narrative; de-emphasizing the characters that have been the long-standing focus because they are inconveniently straight males.

Alan Scott isn't gay. A short-lived alternate-reality version was. But they will present that version (and likely in marketing promote it as THE comic version) because they can get extra points. Ditto if Guy is presented as some neanderthal example of toxic masculinity. That's not being true to the core of the franchise. It's pandering.

I mean I can see how that would appeal to some, but I'm sure you can see how that could also be an insult to Alan and Guy fans or even (by their absence) Hal, John, and Kyle fans?
He logically makes his argument.

FYI They’re making T’Challa Star Lord for an episode of What If so you can throw a hissy over that too.

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #177
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
Someone didn’t click the link to see the definition of what you’re doing.

Yes making Black Panther, the king of an African country, is changing his character just like changing Alan into a gay man. That doesn’t mean it’s the same thing. It’s not like turning Alan gay for an alternate reality book and a TV show changes his entire character like making Black Panther a white man would. At worst, Alan had Jade and Obsidian because he was in the closet. So generally still the same. White Panther would be a completely different story.

For the umteanth time i find alternative realities really lazy by the writers. How about sticking to one continuity and reality and flesh out characters that are gay women or people of color? Your telling me black panther is marvels only black hero? Lets look at dc new batman is black right? Batman is batman do to his tragedy not for being a white billionare playboy. People argue above all the different robins i tell them for me dick grayson is the only robin or batman Should never have a sidekick . Now thats my personal thought. Instead of tokenism why not you know make black lighting the face of black heros since 1. His show on cw is successful 2. He runs the jl on young justice outsiders. You want to tuck away ICON who is basically a black superman but want to replace kal EL with a black superman with a brand new black alter ego? Wouldn't it be less of a headache to revive Icon instead? Why sacrifice a character for the multiverse wich you know will be trash? You are aware there are white Africans who live in southern Africa right? So basically since you argued African country a white person can be black panther. Also i enjoy being me and i think its insulting to space cop to say i Should be like him. Space cop is a good dude

I'm not homophobic you are hetrophobic so thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 01-15-2021 at 07:02 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote