Green Lanterns cancelled with issue #57

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
    I would say 6. "Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps" is, apart from being a horrible, horribly insulting title, about as odd duck of a title as say, "Emerald Knights." It's its own thing.
    I would agree (actually, if anything, I felt GLs was supposed to be the successor). I guess we'll have to see what Comic Vine and Overstreet do with it, but I'd think this will be vol. 6.

Comment

Agreed with Space Cop. GLseses is close to Green Lantern singular so I'm curious to how that will play out with guides and fandom numbering them looking back. I'm not even sure what I would do. HJ&TGLC was a dumb name that doesn't roll off the tongue and I wouldn't use that as volume 6. It would be GLs or nothing I guess.

Comment

There was no title called Green Lantern, so I would say the last volume of Green Lantern happened during the New 52.

It was very, very clear that Green Lanterns was going to be canceled. Just like it was obvious Morrison would not be writing a Kyle Rayner and/or Guy Gardner title, especially after sources said his book would be about Hal Jordan. Despite whatever Morrison did with Kyle Rayner in Justice League, like I said before, that was 20+ years ago and a very different DC Comics landscape.

Going back to Green Lanterns, I think the only person who wanted that title to happen was Geoff Johns, and I don't think Geoff Johns or anybody else had any good ideas for what to do with it. And Johns isn't in a position to really protect Jessica Cruz anymore. It will be interesting to see if she really has any organic staying power. I'm positive Baz doesn't.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before, but I don't think Green Lantern Corps will be relaunched. I mean, it's possible, but that doesn't seem in line with DC's direction with Green Lantern right now, which is to scale down.
        ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
          Despite whatever Morrison did with Kyle Rayner in Justice League, like I said before, that was 20+ years ago and a very different DC Comics landscape.
          Sad but true. But definitely there was enough to cling to hope in that. For example, when far bigger characters didn't even get one bit of spotlight in it... Morrison made sure and give Kyle at least a little bit of love in "Final Crisis."

Comment

They do have all 6 human GLC members on the cover for the final issue of GLs. So we know they all survive that long. And honestly I don't see Jurgens being the trigger guy to off any of them. They will likely all live on, just mostly in the mothballs for a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
              ... Morrison made sure and give Kyle at least a little bit of love in "Final Crisis."
              What did Kyle do in FC? That story is such a blur to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                Thats what I would call mercy.

Comment

Look at it this way. DC was publishing four issues of Green Lantern a month that were making a profit, and now it's going to publish one issue? I assume that Morrison's comic will sell well, but it probably won't be more profitable than four issues a month with modest sales.

This looks like they simply did what it took to sign Morrison.

And re Morrison taking it in a new direction -- maybe not. There are reports that he wants Hal to again become a wanderer who is always between jobs. That is, the awful Dennis O'Neal version.

The only good thing Geoff Johns ever did in Green Lantern was to bury that version.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    It's hazy but I remember specifically Kyle being given a scene on the Watchtower in the middle of things.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      Look at it this way. DC was publishing four issues of Green Lantern a month that were making a profit, and now it's going to publish one issue? I assume that Morrison's comic will sell well, but it probably won't be more profitable than four issues a month with modest sales.

This looks like they simply did what it took to sign Morrison.

And re Morrison taking it in a new direction -- maybe not. There are reports that he wants Hal to again become a wanderer who is always between jobs. That is, the awful Dennis O'Neal version.

The only good thing Geoff Johns ever did in Green Lantern was to bury that version.
                      You have to factor in that DC has to pay people to make the comics. So it is not like DC publishes two comics at no cost. They may have been making a profit, but was it substantial, all things considered?

Also, Hal Jordan was wandering from place to place and job to job before Denny O'Neil started writing him. That is how places like Evergreen City and characters like Eve Doreamus came about. I think Morrison is inspired more so by that period than the O'Neil era.
                      Star-Lantern
                      Weaponer of Qward
                      Last edited by Star-Lantern; 07-25-2018, 07:06 PM.
                      ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                        You have to factor in that DC has to pay people to make the comics. So it is not like DC publishes two comics at no cost. They may have been making a profit, but was it substantial, all things considered?

Also, Hal Jordan was wandering from place to place and job to job before Denny O'Neil started writing him. That is how places like Evergreen City and characters like Eve Doreamus came about. I think Morrison is inspired more so by that period than the O'Neil era.
                        There's really no other newer era to draw upon. The tiny bit of civilian Hal stuff in the beginning of Vol. 3? Geoff Johns having him be a hotshot pilot with a girlfriend who he forgot about for a few issues in Vol. 4, before losing interest in that?

You have to go way back.

Comment

Well here's the thing - Simon and Jessica were never that interesting to begin with. The diversity thing can only get you along so far, after a while the characters need to be compelling and the story more exciting than "generic space bad guy."
                          Continuing from there, there are simply too many human/Earth Lanterns. What are we at now? 7? It's just gotten watered down. It's time to phase Simon and Jessica out. The experiment didn't pan out. It happens. Let's move on.

Comment

These people don't know what the hell they are doing. It will be interesting to see what crappy ideas DC will come up with in the future. They are going down the drain.

Comment

Final issue out today. It's finally over.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                                Final issue out today. It's finally over.
                                Yep. It even says "End" on the last page (though I have yet to read it).

Comment

Working...
                                X