X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete List of Licensed Products

I am trying to get a list of EVERY licensed GL product ever produced

so

Dave, Jack and anyone else help a Lantern out!

I need name or description of the item and the maker of the item (ie Mattel, Hasbro, ect)

and hopefully a pic of the merchandise

Thanks guys
    GLJIMT
    Last edited by GLJIMT; 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM.
    My Ketogenic Journey

Oh Jesus.

I have a notebook that I wrote everything down in that I know of, but didn't yet have. I'd ass new items as I heard about them, and put them in order of when they came out. I stopped updating it about 4 years ago when there was a t shirt or some DCD product every week. Still, if you can think of everything that's come out in the last couple of years, I can backtrack it for you back to the 60s when they put out two different childrens Halloween costumes. I might be missing a FEW things, but it's pretty close to complete. It's just all handwritten and not in my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
      I am trying to get a list of EVER licensed GL product ever produced

so

Dave, Jack and anyone else help a Lantern out!

I need name or description of the item and the maker of the item (ie Mattel, Hasbro, ect)

and hopefully a pic of the merchandise

Thanks guys
      Jiminy Christmas, Jim, that's no easy task you're attempting!

There's only one area of GL merchandising where I consider myself knowledgeable enough about it to contribute, and that's power rings and other prop replicas. When it comes to the various officially licensed replicas of the power rings and the power batteries, I know all the various officially licensed versions that have been released over the last 20 years, as I own most of them in the case of the rings!

I'll compile my list, along with photos of all of them that I have photos for, over the next few days. If there's one I don't already have photos of, I'll pull out my digital camera and snap some pics if it's something I own.

Other than that, I'll help out with the occasional item here and there, but as Dave pointed out, there has been so much GL merchandising worldwide over the last 20 years, that it's hard to keep track of it all! And the large number of "gray market" unlicensed items makes it even harder still!

Comment

Dosen't Malvolio have lots of this info already? at least some on Emeralddawn.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
          Dosen't Malvolio have lots of this info already? at least some on Emeralddawn.com?
          Jack thats actually the area I am less knowledgeable in I am pretty good on Toys myself the props, rings, glasses, ect is not my area of expertise

Thanks for all your help

and Mal does have some but it is nowhere near a complete list
          GLJIMT
          Last edited by GLJIMT; 03-22-2008, 05:48 PM.
          My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

How does one find out if something is a licensed product if it was only ever in a dif country ?

for example

from Mexico note pad and candy
            My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

How does one find out if something is a licensed product if it was only ever in a dif country ?

for example

from Mexico note pad and candy
              THAT, my friend, can be tricky. Ideally, there would be the usual copyright and/or trademark lines on the product and/or the packaging. However, when you're dealing with foreign countries in general, and Asian countries in particular, there's a LOT of counterfeiting and pirating going on. I wouldn't put it past those bootlegger scum to put copyright and/or trademark lines on counterfeit product.

Anyway... here's the first installment from me...

DISCLAIMER: The list below is NOT complete! It will be continued/completed at a later date!

Okay, here we go with some Power Ring replicas. All of these are officially licensed by DC Comics, and as such are ™, ©, and ® DC Comics.

The earliest/oldest one I've seen, which I've only just seen recently via eBay, was made for sale in vending machines in Argentina all the way back in the 1970s! Given that it's a foreign item, without any real packaging, it will be very hard to determine if DC actually licensed this product. But I'll post it here anyway, if only because it existed more than a decade before the earliest GL Power Ring replica I had previously been aware of.

The first Power Ring replica I was ever aware of was made by Toy Biz, and was included with their Green Lantern figure from their DC Comics Super Heroes line of figures that they made back around 1989 or so. That was the first year Toy Biz was in business, and it shows! They were reusing Kenner's old molds from the classic Super Powers line, but the figures they made with those fantastic molds look so crappy in comparison to Super Powers figures, that they ended up looking more like cheap 3rd world bootleg knock-off figures!

But there WAS a wearable power ring included with the figure. While it was most likely sized for children (I'm not 100% sure, because I don't own one) it did have a MASSIVE hunk of glow-in-the-dark plastic mounted in the center of the ring, for added "play value". It's interesting to note that Toy Biz also mounted the GITD plastic in GL's power battery, as well.

The next replica came out just a few years later, in the early '90s, released by DC themselves, as a premium given out with issues of Green Lantern: Mosaic # 1 (and in some stores, Green Lantern Corps Quarterly # 1, as well, since both issues went on sale at about the same time.) It's another ring with a glow-in-the-dark center, although DC used a more modestly sized disc, rather than the massive, oversized hunk of plastic Toy Biz used. This is the ring that many fans lovingly refer to as the "Kilowog ring", due to its large size. It's a men's 12 or 13, if not larger, and is so large that most people can wear it OVER a pair of gloves with their GL costume!

DC Direct then got into the act with numerous official replicas. They, also, did rings packaged in with figures. Made out of PVC, the first one they made was Hal Jordan's "signet style" ring, which was packaged in with their first Hal Jordan figure, and then later included with various other figures as well. It was originally released painted in a 2-tone color scheme, with a slightly darker shade of green in the recessed areas of the face.

It was later reissued painted yellow with DCD's first Sinestro figure, as a replica of his first yellow power ring. The mold was then reused for the Super Friends Green Lantern and Sinestro 2-pack, with GL's ring being white with a green logo, and Sinestro's being yellow with a green logo, to match their appearance in the Super Friends cartoon.

DC Direct has recently issued the ring yet again as a give away premium at their booths at the various big comic conventions. The first such version came in a metallic green foil baggy, sealed, so you couldn't see what ring you had. It was rumored that some were Sinestro's ring, while the rest were Hal's. The only one I've seen opened, which I foolishly forgot to bid on on eBay, was a nice translucent green color, and looked fantastic!

Then, in 2007, they switched over to making these rings out of a metallic green PVC. They do not appear to be in any packaging now, as ALL of the ones I've seen for sale on the aftermarket are loose. Here's a couple pictures of this newest version.

While these are said to be "one size fits all", the band is so small, that it's too small for my size 10 finger. I ended up using a piece of clear PVC tubing to bridge the rather large "gap" between the 2 halves of the band to keep the thing on my finger. Not their best replica in that regard.

The next official replica is one made in the mid-'90s for sale exclusively at the now-defunct Warner Bros. Studio Stores. It was made out of Sterling Silver, and was made by a jeweler by the name of Robert Lee Morris. Here's a picture of the beautiful prototype he made:

Image courtesy of EmeraldDawn.Com. These very rarely come up for sale on eBay. In fact, I've only seen one in my size once in several years of collecting GL ring replicas! The real production rings do NOT look anywhere near as good as the prototype! They look rougher, are CLEARLY hand carved/sculpted, and if there's any color in the center at all, it's usually more of a gray, as opposed to the black seen on the prototype. While these would be easy to counterfeit, the genuine article can be identified by the inscription on the inside of the ring, "RLM ™ DC". If one hits eBay, expect to pay SEVERAL hundred dollars for it. They're rare enough that you'll have lots of people bidding against you.

In 1996, an officially licensed ring was made as an exclusive premium to be given to dealers at the Florida Expo (FX) '96 convention. There were 3 versions, being made of bronze, silver, or gold. The ring is made in the bare metal, with a green stone set in the center. On one side, there is a raised "FX" carved into it, and on the other side, a raised "96". These were "blind-bagged/boxed" and a dealer had no idea which one they'd received until they opened it. The rarest is the gold ring, only 12 were made. The silver and bronze are progressively more common, but even the bronze was limited to only 150. These were packaged in a green velvet bag with a numbered Certificate of Authenticity:

There is also a prototype for this ring, which is of indeterminate rarity. I have never been able to find out how many were made, but they seem to be more common than the gold production version. I got one from eBay several years ago, from a seller who had at least 2 in his possession, due to having worked for the FX '96 con:

As you can see, it's a drastically different design, and is coated with a green enamel, so that the whole ring is green, instead of just the center stone! It's a heavy ring made of solid metal (not sure what type) and it DOES bear a DC Comics copyright/trademark inscription on the inside of the band. These do turn up on eBay from time to time, so keep your eyes open if you want one!

In 1999, another officially licensed ring was released through WB Studio Stores and comic shops, although it wasn't quite the power ring prop that fans were wanting. This one was also made of Sterling Silver as well.

The reason for its design being what it was is that it was part of a series of rings all designed with that same look. There were several others in the series. I know I've seen ones for Superman and Batman, but there may be others beyond those.

At this point, I'm going to skip over the rest of DC Direct's various power ring prop replicas (I'll list those at a later date) and jump ahead to the most recent licensed rings, which can be found in stores NOW!

This one came out about 3 years ago, from the company that makes all of the officially licensed DC Comics belt buckles. It used to be available at Hot Topic, but can now only be found online. I've heard it described as a "chunk" ring, and it is another one I describe as a "Kilowog ring". It comes in almost every ring size (whole sizes only), so that you can get your actual size.

It's made of some sort of chrome-plated base metal, and the chrome plate CAN wear off if you wear it regularly. But it's inexpensive, and it has a neat feature: The green material in the center is black light reactive! Expose it to a black light (UV) bulb and it glows!

Sadly, the company that makes it recently discontinued it in favor of an adjustable ring that, frankly, looks pretty craptastic!

But if you're looking for a really cheap, wearable ring, there you go. I suppose the die-hard Super Friends fans might get a kick out of it. :-/

And that's it for right now. More to come... when I get around to it, ya poozers! ;-)

Comment

Yeah, my old list found on my site was created back in the day before the Green Lantern merchandise "explosion", so it is far from complete. It shocks me on all the GL stuff available!

Don't forget the old GL Costume from the 60's..... Sometimes found on ebay.
                Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
                  Yeah, my old list found on my site was created back in the day before the Green Lantern merchandise "explosion", so it is far from complete. It shocks me on all the GL stuff available!

Don't forget the old GL Costume from the 60's..... Sometimes found on ebay.
                  huh? what? pics please?
                  My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

huh? what? pics please?
                    It was one of those typical "costumes" of the 60's. You know, a full face mask held on with a tiny thin grey rubber band. The tunic was merely a green and white (yellow?) "pajama" with the words "Green Lantern" on it and a pic of Hal flying. Hardly a "real" costume.

I'll see if I can find the mask pic.
                    Lord Malvolio
                    Corps Honor Guard
                    Last edited by Lord Malvolio; 03-28-2008, 01:53 AM.
                    Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

Holy shit! any pics of the mask?
                      My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
                        DC Direct then got into the act with numerous official replicas. They, also, did rings packaged in with figures. Made out of PVC, the first one they made was Hal Jordan's "signet style" ring, which was packaged in with their first Hal Jordan figure, and then later included with various other figures as well. It was originally released painted in a 2-tone color scheme, with a slightly darker shade of green in the recessed areas of the face.

It was later reissued painted yellow with DCD's first Sinestro figure, as a replica of his first yellow power ring. The mold was then reused for the Super Friends Green Lantern and Sinestro 2-pack, with GL's ring being white with a green logo, and Sinestro's being yellow with a green logo, to match their appearance in the Super Friends cartoon.

DC Direct has recently issued the ring yet again as a give away premium at their booths at the various big comic conventions. The first such version came in a metallic green foil baggy, sealed, so you couldn't see what ring you had. It was rumored that some were Sinestro's ring, while the rest were Hal's. The only one I've seen opened, which I foolishly forgot to bid on on eBay, was a nice translucent green color, and looked fantastic!

Then, in 2007, they switched over to making these rings out of a metallic green PVC. They do not appear to be in any packaging now, as ALL of the ones I've seen for sale on the aftermarket are loose. Here's a couple pictures of this newest version.

While these are said to be "one size fits all", the band is so small, that it's too small for my size 10 finger. I ended up using a piece of clear PVC tubing to bridge the rather large "gap" between the 2 halves of the band to keep the thing on my finger. Not their best replica in that regard.
                        Okay, thanks to Lantern2814.20850, here's a pic showing some more of the PVC rings. Besides showing the Hal Jordan ring in both its original paint scheme, and it's white and green Super Friends paint scheme, this picture also shows DC Direct's PVC Kyle Rayner ring, which is MUCH more wearable! It's sized at like a 10-11, but it also has the split in the middle of the band, so that it will fit larger fingers. A MUCH better "one size fits most" ring than the Hal Jordan ring!

More info and pics to come later.

Comment

Correct Order please (action figs)

Kenner - Super Powers Hal
                          Toy Biz DC SuperHeroes Hal
                          Toy Biz DC SuperHeroes Hal w/water jet ring

Hasbro - DC SuperHeroes Hal (MEGO style)
                          Hasbro - Total Justice Kyle Rayner
                          Hasbro - Total Justice Parallax
                          Hasbro - Kyle/Dr Polaris 2 pack
                          Hasbro - JLA Kyle
                          Hasbro - JLA Kyle (Rock of Ages)

DCD
                          HTH Hal
                          GA Alan Scott

Just Us League of Stupid Heroes - Alfred E Newman as GL

GLCorps Series 1 John S. Variant John S. Tomar Re
                          GLCorps Series 2 Fatality, Classic Kyle
                          Hal Spectre

GLCorps Series 2 (clam shell box) -
                          Gil Kane Hal
                          Classic Guy
                          Effigy

Justice

Wave 3 - Hal
                          Wave 6 - Armored Hal
                          Wave 7 - John S.

GL Series 1

Toyfare Promo - Emerald Shield Hal

Hal
                          Parallax
                          Kilowog
                          Ganthet & Guardian
                          Black Hand

GL Series 2

Modern Guy
                          Salaak
                          Sinestro as GL
                          Manhunter Robot
                          Shark

GL Series 3

Bat-Lantern
                          Modern Star Sapphire
                          Sinestro Corps Hank Henshaw
                          Sinestro Corps Sinestro

Kingdom Come
                          Alan Scott
                          Jade

Reactivated: KC Alan Scott

Justice League

Kyle Rayner (Jim Lee)
                          Modern John S. (JLA Box set)

JLA Classified John S.

Superman/Batman Series 6 EVS Hal Jordan

SuperFriends 2 pack Hal/Sinestro

Whos Who - Series 1 Hal gets ring from Abin
                          Whos Who - Series 2 Hal charging ring

Pocket Super Heroes
                          Hal/Sinestro
                          Alan/Grundy
                          Guy/Gaurdian
                          GL Box Set Jade, Sentinel, Classic Kyle, Parallax, Qwardian Guy, Modern John S.
                          Kyle (Jim Lee) JLA Box set

First Apperance Wave 1 - Alan Scott

New Frontier Wave 1 - Hal
                          Elseworlds Wave 3 - Red Son Hal Jordan

13 inch Deluxe Hal
                          13 inch Deluxe Hal reissue - with 4 changable heads

Minimates

SDCC Promo - John Stewart
                          Wave1 Hal / Star Sapphire
                          Wave 3 Guy/Kilowog
                          Wave 8 Salaak/Sinestro

I believe that is all the DCD GL merch listed as Action Figures. (some help on the order would be nice)

Mattel JL - coming soon (god help me on this one!)
                          My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                            Oh Jesus.

I have a notebook that I wrote everything down in that I know of, but didn't yet have. I'd ass new items as I heard about them, and put them in order of when they came out. I stopped updating it about 4 years ago when there was a t shirt or some DCD product every week. Still, if you can think of everything that's come out in the last couple of years, I can backtrack it for you back to the 60s when they put out two different childrens Halloween costumes. I might be missing a FEW things, but it's pretty close to complete. It's just all handwritten and not in my computer.
                            well we have a pic of the one costume, how about the other?

this is what I am working on more added soon (warning lots of pics)

Ring Replicas
                            http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/web/merch.htm

Glasses, Cups, Mugs
                            http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/web/merch2.htm

I know there are some rings missing tell me if there are any cups, glasses, mugs missing
                            GLJIMT
                            Last edited by GLJIMT; 03-30-2008, 11:41 PM.
                            My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

um, yeah, right...

M

Comment

Working...
                              X