Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameron Stewart accused of sexual misconduct

The Beat: Multiple women accuse Cameron Stewart of sexual misconduct

I'm a little confused. From what I'm reading here, he sounds like he's a bit creepy, but am I correct in my understanding that he did not actually have any sexual contact with any of these women? And that in many cases it would not have been illegal even if he had (for 18+ year olds)? Is the contention here that he is a sexual predator, but just really unsuccessful at it?

Comment

Warren Ellis, too, by the way.

And while grooming is technically legal (at least in those cases where it doesn't overlap with sex with minors, although it often does), it's predatory behaviour. North American comic books are an industry where cis-men have all the power and all the connections. Young girls trying to get a job are at an unfair disadvantage, and successful men trying to exploit that are icky creeps at best.

I don't think this campaign is trying to get Stewart, or Brian Wood, or Ellis thrown in jail. But it's telling young girls that they do not need to have a flirty or sexual relationship with men twice their age to get a break. A lesson that seems obvious to us, but obviously isn't.

Comment

G. Willow Wilson (Wonder Woman, The Dreaming: Waking Hours) writes:
        Been trying to formulate useful, non-inflammatory thoughts on the situation unfolding in comics right now, and I have too many to fit into a tweet, or even several tweets, without clogging people's feeds, so I will stick to the 2 most salient ones:

1. I don't know how anybody who hung around any of the late 90's-mid 00s Ellis forums can profess to be surprised. It wasn't even a secret. (No idea what went on after that era because I left.) I don't just believe these women; I saw with my own eyes the culture they were in.

2. A lot of ppl seem to be asking 'How is any of this wrong though?' Here's the thing: at that time--and still today, to a certain extent!--there was a core group of men who were *the only* way into the comics industry. There was no submission process; no applications.

If you had any professional aspirations, you had to convince one of them to open their rolodex. And it was very clear there were 2 separate tracks: if you were a guy, all you had to do was be moderately talented and kiss the right ass. If you were a woman, it was different.

There was a casting couch atmosphere. There was an attitude of--sexism is fine as long as it's *ironic sexism.* Racism is fine as long as it's *ironic racism.* If you objected and said 'maybe ironic sexism and ironic racism are just sexism and racism, actually,' then bye bye.

I was very young when I lurked about the periphery of this culture (19-early 20s) and I felt like the kid from the Emperor's New Clothes. Ie, doesn't anybody else see this?? Why is everybody pretending this is fine?? I spoke up once or twice and lived to regret it.

Anyway, I will stop now and let the principle people involved say more or not as they see fit.
        Michael Heide
        Heide Finition
        Last edited by Michael Heide; 06-17-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
          Warren Ellis, too, by the way.

And while grooming is technically legal (at least in those cases where it doesn't overlap with sex with minors, although it often does), it's predatory behaviour. North American comic books are an industry where cis-men have all the power and all the connections. Young girls trying to get a job are at an unfair disadvantage, and successful men trying to exploit that are icky creeps at best.

I don't think this campaign is trying to get Stewart, or Brian Wood, or Ellis thrown in jail. But it's telling young girls that they do not need to have a flirty or sexual relationship with men twice their age to get a break. A lesson that seems obvious to us, but obviously isn't.
          Thanks, that makes it clearer. I was somehow missing the context of the flirting, etc. being an abuse of power, with women feeling forced to put up with it for career advancement reasons. Absent that context, I wasn't quite getting why a 35-year old guy hitting on younger women (and consistently failing, apparently) was such a big deal. Creepy, sure (especially at the younger end of the range. I have a hard time seeing a mid-thirties guy being attracted to a 21-year old as THAT big a deal), but ultimately not rising above mildly distasteful given that it didn't go anywhere physical. But add that element in, and it becomes significantly more disturbing.

Comment

Ellis used his newsletter to reply to the by now over 35 individual young women (and counting) who claim that he abused his comic book industry connections to coerce them into sexual relationships (and he did have a lot of influence, he put Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie on the map, for example, and gave a massive signal boost to artists like John Cassaday and Declan Shalvey). His excuse is "I didn't know I was famous."

Here is the text in full.

Hello. Please forgive the lateness of my appearance. I have been speaking to people, and listening carefully, for a few days.

Recent statements have been made about me that need to be addressed.

I have never considered myself famous or powerful, to the point where I’ve made a lot of bad jokes about it for twenty-odd years. It had never really occurred to me that other people didn’t see it the same way—that I was not engaging as an equal when gifted with attention, but acting from a position of power and privilege. I did not take that into account in a number of my personal interactions and this was a mistake and I own it.

While I’ve made many bad choices in my past, and I’ve said a lot of wrong things, let me be clear, I have never consciously coerced, manipulated, or abused anyone, nor have I ever assaulted anybody. But I was ignorant of where I was operating from at a time I should have been clear and for that I accept 100% responsibility.

I hurt people deeply. I am ashamed for these mistakes and I am profoundly sorry. I will not speak against other people’s personal truths, and I will not expose them to the toxicity of the current discourse. I should have been more aware, more present, and more respectful of people’s feelings and for that I apologise.

I have had friendships and relationships end, sometimes in bitterness, often due to my own failings, and I continue to regret and apologise for the pain I have caused.

I have always tried to aid and support women in their lives and careers, but I have hurt many people that I had no intention of hurting. I am culpable. I take responsibility for my mistakes. I will do better and for that, I apologise.

I apologise to my friends and collaborators for having created this situation, and I hope they will be treated kindly. Mistakes and poor choices in my personal life are not on them, but only on me.

We have a responsibility to one another, every day. And I have, in my past, let too many people down. I hope to one day become worthy of the trust and kindness that was placed in me by colleagues and friends.

I will continue to listen, learn, and strive to be a better human being. I have sought to make amends with people, as I have been made aware of my transgressions, and will continue to do so. I have apologised, I apologise, and will continue to apologise and take total responsibility for my actions without equivocation.

I am going to be quiet now, to listen more than I speak, for other voices matter far more than my own right now.

I will be closing this newsletter. Thank you for your past support. Look after yourselves.

Comment

Oops, did I say 35? Nearly 50. And they have evidence.
              https://mobile.twitter.com/Foxtongue...46722380869632
              Jhayne Holmes
              @Foxtongue
              For an idea of how many women and girls have been hurt by Warren, we're averaging two new people stepping forward every hour since I made my post.

The private group now has nearly 50 members. Please, if you know of anyone who might have been targeted by
              @warrenellis
              , send them our way. This is so much bigger than you might guess.

Comment

^This sounds like enough for harassment charges at the least.

Comment

Working...
                X