Why the Green Lantern is not Black in the movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Green Lantern is not Black in the movie

Over the past few weeks, I have been following anything posted regarding Green Lantern. While I do this mainly to keep up with the latest movie news, I also run across a lot of twitter posts of people saying they are mad because the Green Lantern is Black, and that WB is “White Washing” the movie. This is meant to set the record straight.

Before we get into the history “Green Lantern” is basically a Job title, in its current form The Green Lantern Corps has over 7200 members, and is not unlike a Police department. 4 of which have been human including one who is black and one who came before them all and was not affiliated with the Corps. To avoid confusion I will only talk about two of them.

In the Showcase #22 in 1959 written by John Broome and Drawn by Gil Kane, Hal Jordan became The Green Lantern. This time however, the Ring was passed on by a Dying alien named Abin Sur, A member of the Green Lantern Corps, a space police force overseen by the Guardians of the Universe. The Ring could create object passed on the will of the wearer, but did not work on the color yellow. Hal Jordan is who Ryan Reynolds will be portraying.

I know what you are thinking now “Ok that’s great and all but what about the black Green Lantern I remember?”

in Green Lantern #87 a architect and Marine corps Veteran, named John Stewart was selected, Hal Jordan resigned from the Corps for a extended period of time making John the main Green Lantern and the one a lot of people remember as simply the Green Lantern.

Where the real confusion sets in is the Animated series “Justice League” and “Justice League Unlimited” in these shows John Stewart was the Green Lantern.

There have been claims that John was the Green Lantern of this series simply because everyone else was either white or Martian. I personally believe that he was simply the right Green Lantern for that job. Regardless in both series John Stewart became the Green lantern that had the most Mass market exposure to a non comic reading audience. John has had many toys, and other merchandise because of the animated series.

To kids growing up and parents around this time or people that like super hero animation but do not read comics(hard to believe they are out there but I used to be one myself), this made John the only Green lantern to them.

While I understand the outrage considering the exposure John Stewart had been receiving as the Green Lantern. The 2004/2005 Comic series Green Lantern Rebirth brought written by Geoff Johns Hal Jordan and the entire Green Lantern Corps was brought back into the DC universe, Returning Hal Jordan as the main character once again. Since then Green Lantern has been one of DC’s top Selling Comics.

The movie is loosely based on another Story by Geoff Johns called Green Lantern: Secret Origins Which can be picked on AMAZON, in which Hal Jordan receives the ring from Abin Sur In the same way he received it however different events take place afterward.
    I hope this clears up the confusion and everyone can enjoy the movie on June 17th.
    Superlantern
    mmmm Beer!
    Last edited by Superlantern; 05-10-2011, 05:00 PM.

This post is meant for people that do not know as much about Green Lantern as the rest of us... if you would like to add anything please do so.

Comment

It might be worth noting that in the DC Animated Universe continuity, of which Justice League/JLU is a part, John wasn't even the first Earth GL - Kyle Rayner was. He essentially got Hal Jordan's origin in the Superman Animated Series episode "In Brightest Day."

And I think Guy Gardner was Hal's backup in the comics even before John was. I know he appeared before John did.

At any rate, John is the only one of the "alternates" with a part in the movie, played by actor Nick Jones, which means that perhaps he'll become a GL in a future film?

Comment

i hate when people say " green lantern is black, they are fuckin shit up". they are so stupid and dont kno crap about green lantern universe. they only judge cause of the animated cartoon. drives me nutz

Comment

^ i know! this really pisses me off... i was talking to a friend who said he knew everything about green lantern.. i said "So you like Green lantern", he said "Yea, especially because he's black" I was like, "There is a white one too," He sais "There is more than one?"

Comment

It is a good start, but I would mention Guy for sure. Hell, he would have been first if he had been closer. Don't dumb it down, drop knowledge on them! lol Kyle was THE GL for a long time. Def worth a mention also.

Comment

Yo.

I think U should tweet that post to the world @large SL; give all those "know-nothings" a taste of TRUTH.........

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

I actually hear this all the time from my students, "Why isn't he black?" or "Why did they change him from being black?"

It's been mentioned here but one thing to keep in mind that the "Twitter Generation" ranges from 15-34 in reality. With the most active being under 24 according to a report I read a while back. So jump back to 2001 when Justice League started and you've got that demographic at 5-24 when it started, the most active being 5-14 at that time and for the next 5 years knew nothing but John Stewart. So they are the ones who are posting actively about it and bringing the confusion.

WB has always treated the Earth GLs as interchangable without paying attention to the history of it, they don't bother to figure out ways for other Earth lanterns just pick one and give him every trait possible.

Considering that Hal is in the spotlight now and the animated series if it runs for 5 years for example starting in 2012, we'll have a group of kids in the near future who will say "I didn't know there was a black Green Lantern?" I'm sure. It isn't a racial thing just bad form on the part of treating the source material by WB. The same thing works for Flash, I'm sure when the film eventually comes out if they go with Barry, some people will say "I thought it his name was Wally?" while not the same issue it's still an issue, look at how Smallville has incorporated all the Flash identities together...
                twoeightonefour
                Weaponer of Qward
                Last edited by twoeightonefour; 05-10-2011, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I, Booster Gold, would like to point out that even in the JLU series, Hal Jordan was an Earth Green Lantern, and made an appearance. I don't recall the episode title, but when they're dealing with the changing timelines, there is a scene where John suddenly turns into a white guy with a slightly different looking uniform. Everyone is taken aback but he just looks at them and says, "Its another shift in the timeline. I'm Hal Jordan. Don't worry, I'm caught up." A few minutes later he suddenly turns back into John. Anyone familiar with the series, should be reminded of this as a clear example that JLU was an alternate timeline where Hal was never chosen.

Another example of such a reference is that Hal Jordan's plane was shown in the Kyle GL episode of Superman TAS. Also, that episode presents the effective GL alterations of the timeline, through the fact that Sinestro had already gone bad before the Abin Sur came to Earth... meaning that in the JLU timeline, Abin Sur didn't crash land on Earth as early as he did in the canon universe, which made for a bypass of both Hal and Guy, and that Sinestro eventually fell away form the corps without Hal Jordan being present for it all, even though that was a defining moment in his early career as a rookie GL.

Comment

Excellent points Booster.

Also, it should be noted that even though JL and JLU ran for a while that there is still a huge section of the populous who still has no clue who or what Green Lantern is. I can't tell you how many times just wearing my ring people ask me if it's for the Green Hornet or Green Arrow, adults and children alike, one student asked me if it was for the Green Goblin from the Raimi Spider-Man movies once.

I think the issue at hand is a small pocket at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Boosteroo View Post
                      Also, that episode presents the effective GL alterations of the timeline, through the fact that Sinestro had already gone bad before the Abin Sur came to Earth... meaning that in the JLU timeline, Abin Sur didn't crash land on Earth as early as he did in the canon universe, which made for a bypass of both Hal and Guy, and that Sinestro eventually fell away form the corps without Hal Jordan being present for it all, even though that was a defining moment in his early career as a rookie GL.
                      Eventually it was. Originally, Sinestro HAD gone bad before Hal ever joined the Corps. It was Emerald Dawn that first changed that, many, many years after the character was introduced.

(Though frankly that has always struck me as one of the best retcons ever to hit GL, in that originally it made little sense for Sinestro to be so focussed on messing with Hal specifically over the years. Without Hal's direct connection to Sinestro's downfall, there just wasn't any compelling reason, IMHO anyway, for him to detour so significantly from his original goal of getting back at the Guardians, such that he would often go out of his way to harass Hal on Earth, ignoring the Guardians and the rest of the Corps entirely.)

Comment

Originally posted by twoeightonefour View Post
                        Excellent points Booster.

Also, it should be noted that even though JL and JLU ran for a while that there is still a huge section of the populous who still has no clue who or what Green Lantern is. I can't tell you how many times just wearing my ring people ask me if it's for the Green Hornet or Green Arrow, adults and children alike, one student asked me if it was for the Green Goblin from the Raimi Spider-Man movies once.

I think the issue at hand is a small pocket at best.
                        My son insisted on wearing his Green Lantern mask and ring to the playground this weekend (where does he GET this stuff?) and all the other parents were like "And who are you? The Green Hornet?" And my 2 1/2 yr.-old son, god bless him, was all "I'm Green LANTERN!" in their faces.

So, yeah, I guess we should be glad that people even know who Green Lantern is.

Also, WB should be paying my son to promote their damn movie. So many of his friends want to wear the ring and mask that we bought a spare set to bring with us for his friends to borrow. I should put him in a GL shirt with "June 17, 2011" in big letters on the back so everyone knows...

Comment

I had an entire history with Alan Guy and Kyle included buy the post was too big and the forum refused to post it

Comment

Originally posted by Boosteroo View Post
                            I, Booster Gold, would like to point out that even in the JLU series, Hal Jordan was an Earth Green Lantern, and made an appearance. I don't recall the episode title, but when they're dealing with the changing timelines, there is a scene where John suddenly turns into a white guy with a slightly different looking uniform. Everyone is taken aback but he just looks at them and says, "Its another shift in the timeline. I'm Hal Jordan. Don't worry, I'm caught up." A few minutes later he suddenly turns back into John. Anyone familiar with the series, should be reminded of this as a clear example that JLU was an alternate timeline where Hal was never chosen.
                            Once and Future thing: Part 2

+ YouTube Video
                            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Funny thing is, I've never heard anyone say, "I thought GL was Black." Then again, I don't tweet and have never used twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by twoeightonefour View Post
                              one student asked me if it was for the Green Goblin from the Raimi Spider-Man movies once.
                              Did you give that student an F ?

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                              X