Green Lantern Omnibus Volumes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern Omnibus Volumes

This September DC released the vol. 2 of their Green Lantern Omnibus series. Is it clear if the will release the whole vol. 2 in this format? As far as I know, there are 218 books released in vol. 2 and the two omnibus volumes collect the first 45 issues (the showcase nummers not counted).

What do you think, will they release the whole vol. 2? I mean, they have to release about five more omnibus books to cover all the issues. I don't know if this would be worth for DC, but I would like to have 'em all

I'm hoping they'll release at least #3, since the Archive line has probably permanently stalled. I'm still annoyed that they don't break Omnibus #2 at the same point as Archive #6, so now if I DO get Omnibus #3 (assuming they make one) it will have duplicate issues from my last Archive.

Omnibus #3 would take them to a natural breaking point just before GL/GA starts.

Comment

i have the first. I plan on getting the 2nd. I want them to collect all the original issues so this would be the best way to go imo.

Comment

I bought both of them. After my disgust that DC yet again abandoned one format to start another subsided, I really fell in love with the idea of these omnibuses doing the GL vol 2 run. I think they have a much better shot than the archives ever did of seeing the run completed.

And it WOULD be nice if they crammed in enough issues into volume 3 to fit #46-75. A nice break right there. The GL/GA run would probably take up volumes 4 and 5 to get to GL/GA #122. I'm sure if people keep buying them, DC will keep making them since they seem to be striking while the iron is hot. Most of those issues have NEVER been reprinted. And though I already own all of GL volume 2, it's always been a dream of mine to have the entire run collected in hardcover.

And I'll gladly buy them all.

Comment

You have a complete series 2? Including #1? I like you even more, now, Dave.

Comment

I'll definitly keep buying them in the future. The Question to me is, how long will the releases take up to be released. Moreover I don't know if these volumes are selling very well, because I think this is very "special interest stuff" - maybe even for the GL-fan?

Comment

I am not clear on the difference among an omnibus, an archive, and a chronicle series, nor do I see how any can call itself "comprehensive" when the GL JLA adventures, Flash cross-overs, and guest appearances in other Silver Age books are skipped over. And I worry about the bindings of the omnibi volumes--will so many pages lead to spine breakage? To this point the omnibi are re-publications of the microfilms that were cleaned up for the Archives editions. I'll stick by the Archives for as far as they go.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen City View Post
                I am not clear on the difference among an omnibus, an archive, and a chronicle series, nor do I see how any can call itself "comprehensive" when the GL JLA adventures, Flash cross-overs, and guest appearances in other Silver Age books are skipped over. And I worry about the bindings of the omnibi volumes--will so many pages lead to spine breakage? To this point the omnibi are re-publications of the microfilms that were cleaned up for the Archives editions. I'll stick by the Archives for as far as they go.
                Well, I also prefer the Archives. I just fear that "as far as they go" is as far as they HAVE gone. If Omnibus #3 comes out before any more GL Archives, I'm going to have to make a decision to either stick with a format that may NEVER get continued, or switch to the Omnibus for the last few issues I do not have in some form already.

As for being comprehensive, they are comprehensive volumes of GL TITLES, not GL appearances. I think making them comprehensive of GL appearances would be a bad idea, because that would entail a lot of pages being duplicated between various lines. I think their customer base for this sort of thing is small enough as it is without that sort of nonsense. If you want to read GLs appearances in JLA, get the JLA Archives. It doesn't make sense, from a publishing perspective, to pad out the volumes of EVERY hero's adventures with the SAME JLA issues, just because they all appeared on the team. I know I'd be upset.

Comment

Isn't one of the big differences between the Archives and the Omnibus, that the Omnibus is in colour?

I've read the Flash Omnibus 1 and the binding was good. Though I was wondering why the used only an inferior gluebinding instead of a - don't know the english word - stitched-binding, especially when the price is as high as it is I would love to pay 5$ more and get a better binding.
                  Whitey
                  Corpse Trainee
                  Last edited by Whitey; 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
                    Isn't one of the big differences between the Archives and the Omnibus, that the Omnibus is in colour?

I've read the Flash Omnibus 1 and the binding was good. Though I was wondering why the used only an inferior gluebinding instead of a - don't know the english word - stitched-binding, especially when the price is as high as it is I would love to pay 5$ more and get a better binding.
                    No. Archives are in color. Chronicles are in color. Omnibus is in color. The only differences are amount of content per volume, and binding. Archives and Omnibus are HC, Chronicles are TPB.

Comment

Showcase are the b&w with cheap paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        You have a complete series 2? Including #1? I like you even more, now, Dave.
                        Every issue from Showcase #22 to today. Every issue, miniseries, oneshot, backup strip, teamup, reprint, hardcover, softcover etc. I just need a couple of the recent sketch variants which I'll pick up soon enough. Other than that, the only holes in my collection is the golden age material.

The pain in the ass now that I am done is keeping up on the reprints. DC has me buying the same shit over and over again just to have everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                          Every issue from Showcase #22 to today. Every issue, miniseries, oneshot, backup strip, teamup, reprint, hardcover, softcover etc. I just need a couple of the recent sketch variants which I'll pick up soon enough. Other than that, the only holes in my collection is the golden age material.

The pain in the ass now that I am done is keeping up on the reprints. DC has me buying the same shit over and over again just to have everything.
                          I'm shocked and impressed at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post

My wallet is glad I'm not THAT completist. My goal is simply to have stuff in SOME form. So if I've got an issue in an Archive, I'm not looking for the original issue, and if I've got an original issue, I'm sure as heck not interested in a reprint (unless my original is deteriorating).

Comment

My first goal is to complete original copies of series 2. I don't see a point in getting all the reprints and TPbs unless it's to have reader copies. There's too many variants now for me to keep up with. If I complete S2, I'll start trying the Golden-Age stuff and to get every appearance of Hal (I have Action, but not the Flash run and not nearly all the JLA stuff).

Comment

Working...
                              X