The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 07-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Lettercol

What did hardcore GL fans in 1961 say about their favorite character? Did a quick scan of the lettercol to #7.

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

I like the one about not introducing companions.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
GLJIMT

I wonder how many of those letter writters are still big GL fans or still alive for that matter
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Martley of 2814

Crazy that 's over 40 years in the past. Yeah, I wondered what happened to these fans....
Old 07-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
Cephied Variable

This is over fourty years old, and the comic book fans writing in sound exactly the same as they do today. It's almost comforting to know that some things *truly* never change.

I really miss letter columns. Back when I was an X-Men and Sonic reading little girl, I would always be excited to finish an issue because I had the LETTERS COLUMN!!!! to look forwards to. Hell, even now whenever I buy a batch of older comics, the first thing I do it flip to the back and read the letters. I guess the theory here in getting rid of them is that fans can now communicate opinions through the internet. :P 20 years ago when, like, Terra first betrayed the Titans or whatever, there was no way to know what comic fans outside your circle of friends thought about plot twists BESIDES reading the letter columns.

But I still miss them. D:

Thanks for posting this!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
raynersraider

I wish letter columns would come back. There was something nice about reading feedback right in the comic itself. Plus, if you sent letters in yourself, there's always the off-chance that you'd get your name printed in your favorite comic and have a small place in your comic forever.

Very fanboy(and girl)-ish, yes. That was the point. And the best lettercols were the one where the editor had a sense of humor in the responses or would give you some cool tidbits of info.

This lettercol from the past is great. It's nice to know that readers then were just as detail-oriented and critical as we can be.

And the guy that suggested Hal should get a buzzcut or use hair gel made me laugh.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

There's no good reason why there shouldn't be lettercols anymore. Even 1 page.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
Cephied Variable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynersraider View Post
I wish letter columns would come back. There was something nice about reading feedback right in the comic itself. Plus, if you sent letters in yourself, there's always the off-chance that you'd get your name printed in your favorite comic and have a small place in your comic forever.

Very fanboy(and girl)-ish, yes.
But did you ever see that letter Geoff Johns got printed in a mid-90's Superboy comic where he suggested that maybe Kon got the other half of his DNA from Lex Luthor? That kind of made me laugh forever. And gave me hope that maybe one day I too could get a job working for DC and writing my crazy fanwank theories into canon (one day I WILL write the equivalent of Rebirth for Maxwell Lord!!!!!)

Another "favorite letter" of mine is in one of my old JLI issues where some random reader suggests that Booster Gold and the Blue Beetle have a team up. Giffen's reply is all like: "I DON'T SEE THAT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON, SRY."
Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephied Variable View Post
But did you ever see that letter Geoff Johns got printed in a mid-90's Superboy comic where he suggested that maybe Kon got the other half of his DNA from Lex Luthor? That kind of made me laugh forever. And gave me hope that maybe one day I too could get a job working for DC and writing my crazy fanwank theories into canon (one day I WILL write the equivalent of Rebirth for Maxwell Lord!!!!!)

Another "favorite letter" of mine is in one of my old JLI issues where some random reader suggests that Booster Gold and the Blue Beetle have a team up. Giffen's reply is all like: "I DON'T SEE THAT HAPPENING ANYTIME SOON, SRY."
Did he really? hahah

I have a letter printed in Batman #511 that, as I recall, they really butchered. Also tons of letters in the Mirage TMNT comics.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #10
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephied Variable View Post

Geoff Johns wrote that in and they published it?? That's great! See, that's why those lettercols were so great...little nuggets like that...

I never got a letter published...my friend got one in an issue of Uncanny X-Men, and it was edited slightly, but mostly intact.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #11
Cephied Variable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynersraider View Post
I never got a letter published...my friend got one in an issue of Uncanny X-Men, and it was edited slightly, but mostly intact.
I wrote more letters than I can remember to the old Archie Sonic franchise between the ages of seven and twelve. I never, EVER got a letter printed, but I once received a letter and 'Sonic & Knuckles' poster from the editor of Archie Comics for having my name appear in the 'Find Your Name in Print' page more than any other fan (it's kind of weird that they kept track of that).
Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #12
Nived

I got many letters published back in the day. Even have one in Hal Jordan's Funeral Issue. No I wont tell you which one because my then lack of GL history knowledge embarrasses me.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
Cephied Variable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nived View Post
I got many letters published back in the day. Even have one in Hal Jordan's Funeral Issue. No I wont tell you which one because my then lack of GL history knowledge embarrasses me.
I admit I immediately went to read that letter section upon reading that. XDD
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 AM   #14
Nived

I was young I had yet to read the original Hard Traveling Heroes... I didn't know about the cover referance.

I DIDN'T KNOW!

Ah well we live, we learn.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #15
Cephied Variable

Quote:
I was young I had yet to read the original Hard Traveling Heroes... I didn't know about the cover referance.

I DIDN'T KNOW!

Ah well we live, we learn.
SEE, NOW THAT YOU'VE SAID THAT, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE! :O :O :O

it's okay, a year and a half ago I wouldn't have known wtf the cover reference was either (I'M A QUICK STUDY NOOB OR SOMETHING. OH YEAH).

(hey at least you weren't the guy who inferred that Kyle and Connor's friendship was better and cooler than Ollie and Hal's!)
Old 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Nived

Yeesh I just pulled it out of the longbox and read it. I thought a Lobo/Kyle issue would be 'cool'. The things we think rock when we're 14.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:08 AM   #17
Kevin T Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martley of 2814 View Post
Crazy that 's over 40 years in the past. Yeah, I wondered what happened to these fans....
Well, I know what happened to at least one fan who wrote letters *cough* 25 some years ago....

He's responding to your post.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T Brown View Post
Well, I know what happened to at least one fan who wrote letters *cough* 25 some years ago....

What comics are your letters in, Mr. Brown?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:11 AM   #19
GLJIMT

Quote:
Yeesh I just pulled it out of the longbox and read it. I thought a Lobo/Kyle issue would be 'cool'. The things we think rock when we're 14.
Hey, Guy/Lobo was good IMHO.
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #20
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Great read, I like the idea that when i'm 40 i'll still be a GL fan and pass it down to my kids like my pops did to me.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #21
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I thought the fan "Dorun Aronoff" was funny in her focus of the relationships w/in the title; she sounded like a typical girl to me

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #22
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T Brown View Post

You're not that Uncle Elvis guy, are you?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 AM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Reading the letter collumns was always one of my favorite parts of reading comics! When I was a kid in the days before the internet, that was all we had to go on! I was too young and didn't have enough money to go to conventions, so I always read the LCs. It's funny hearing you guys recall specific letters; I remember a lot of old letters other people wrote, and thought I must be the only one!

I had seven letters printed in DC books over the years, but never one in GL. I wish they'd at least bring ONE page back, it'd certainly be better than the page they waste every week with Didio's ramblings. Or theramblings of his coworkers. If they're going to do that, why not a one page LC again?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #24
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio
Default Who here has had letters printed in GL?

I have had maybe three or four letters printed in GL and Spectre. I'll try to scan them someday and post them. Anyone else?

edit: D'oh there is already a letters thread. Please merge!

Last edited by Lord Malvolio; 07-28-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I wish they'd at least bring ONE page back, it'd certainly be better than the page they waste every week with Didio's ramblings. Or theramblings of his coworkers. If they're going to do that, why not a one page LC again?
That's what I've been saying. One page isn't going to kill them.