Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anything Johns introduced in Green Lantern vital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anything Johns introduced in Green Lantern vital?

I'm going to throw that question out there and see what people think.

Yes. Hal Jordan is alive, and so is the Corps. They all died in GL Vol 3 #50. We were left with Kyle. And as much as I like Kyle, well... I'm a Hal gal.

Bringing Hal back could have been done multiple ways, however. Maybe it was all just a dream sequence.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen City View Post
      Yes. Hal Jordan is alive, and so is the Corps. They all died in GL Vol 3 #50. We were left with Kyle. And as much as I like Kyle, well... I'm a Hal gal.

Bringing Hal back could have been done multiple ways, however. Maybe it was all just a dream sequence.
      Well... I don't regard Hal and the Corps as having been introduced by Johns. I'm talking about stuff Johns created.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        Well... I don't regard Hal and the Corps as having been introduced by Johns. I'm talking about stuff Johns created.
        If you are saying we could reset to before Emerald Twilight, than nothing. I like some of his alien GLs (though some were [co-]created by Tomasi), but Johns main function to me was retconning Hal back into a good guy.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2017, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I think Trey is referring to new concepts in the GL mythos. For example:

the emotional spectrum
          the various corps
          life and death color rings, making zombie black lanterns of every dead hero out there
          the avatar for each color (turned Parallax into a bug, then had one creature for every color)
          oaths for every pretty color ring
          home planets for the CPB for every pretty color ring
          some sort of Guardians or bosses for each of the various Corps (except the Zamorans, Sinestro and debatably Nekron)

the First Lantern
          Alpha Lanterns (though he didn't come up with all of that)
          doubling the GLs per sector to get to 7,200 members
          the 10th law
          Cowgirl and the Edwards base backdrop
          Atrocitus murdered Abin Sur (and for some reason is still allowed to live and be free)
          Some piece of garbage called Simon Baz
          Another piece of garbage called Jessica Cruz

Comment

There are a few events and characters which will be tied to the mythos for decades to come. Geoff reinvigorated Green Lantern and Flash, which has led to new fans and a general perception of how their respect worlds function.

While some of the emotional spectrum's effects have faded, the idea of an anti-corps will stay. We've seen the Sinestro Corps as antagonists even without Sinestro. If the current plan really is to have existing members absorbed into the GLC, I expect another group to eventually fill that void. It's just too tantalizing for writers to bring in old/non-GL characters and have them "ring up" to oppose the GLC.

Characters like Saint Walker, Larfleeze, Arkillo, and Atrocitus will continue to exist in some form. They may or may not be tied to their original energies, but they're too famous to ignore at this point. I've repeatedly heard DCEU fans calling for Atrocitus and the Reds to be part of that universe. Given that he has shown up in JL Action and Injustice 2, I'm guessing that the Reds are being primed for live action *if* the DCEU survives long enough. Saint Walker and Larfleeze could be breakout characters like Marvel Studios has had with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lastly, the Yellow Impurity has been dealt with and won't become an essential concept to future GL stories. Prior to Johns, I often heard that aspect of the GL mythos criticized as childish. Johns made it logical, but he also realized that there's only so far that a color weakness can go without being a narrative stumbling block. The Green Lantern mythos grew up in many ways under Geoff Johns, and generations of DC fans will still be enjoying what he did for GL.
            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              I think Trey is referring to new concepts in the GL mythos. For example:

the emotional spectrum
              the various corps
              life and death color rings, making zombie black lanterns of every dead hero out there
              the avatar for each color (turned Parallax into a bug, then had one creature for every color)
              oaths for every pretty color ring
              home planets for the CPB for every pretty color ring
              some sort of Guardians or bosses for each of the various Corps (except the Zamorans, Sinestro and debatably Nekron)

the First Lantern
              Alpha Lanterns (though he didn't come up with all of that)
              doubling the GLs per sector to get to 7,200 members
              the 10th law
              Cowgirl and the Edwards base backdrop
              Atrocitus murdered Abin Sur (and for some reason is still allowed to live and be free)
              Some piece of garbage called Simon Baz
              Another piece of garbage called Jessica Cruz
              ^I get that, but that's your list of what's vital? I didn't think you were such a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                There are a few events and characters which will be tied to the mythos for decades to come. Geoff reinvigorated Green Lantern and Flash, which has led to new fans and a general perception of how their respect worlds function.
                The sales of GL are awful. It's hard to call that a revival. What did he bring in that's had lasting appeal?

It's just too tantalizing for writers to bring in old/non-GL characters and have them "ring up" to oppose the GLC.
                I think all of that could go away with no bad results. In fact, I think it could go away with good results.

Characters like Saint Walker, Larfleeze, Arkillo, and Atrocitus will continue to exist in some form. They may or may not be tied to their original energies, but they're too famous to ignore at this point.
                That's not a ringing endorsement. I think a good writer could do away with them and nothing bad would come of it.

Saint Walker and Larfleeze could be breakout characters like Marvel Studios has had with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
                DC marketed Larfleeze as a "breakout character" when he got his own ongoing.

The Green Lantern mythos grew up in many ways under Geoff Johns, and generations of DC fans will still be enjoying what he did for GL.
                But not so many of them are enjoying it now. I think it's worse now than it was a long time ago, and the sales back up what I'm saying, but you're entitled to disagree.
                Trey Strain
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-19-2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  If you are saying we could reset to before Emerald Twilight, than nothing. I like some of his alien GLs (though some were [co-]created by Tomasi), but Johns main function to me was retconning Hal back into a good guy.
                  A lot of fans wanted Hal and the Corps back. Not just Geoff. He was a latecomer. And they took a hell of lot of grief for saying so and for being right. I was one of those guys. Stan Lee used to market things by saying, "Because you demanded it!" During the Kyle era DC said, "You demanded it, but we won't do it!"

A lot of people used to say that Ron Marz's greatest achievement was nuking Hal and the Corps. For me, that never computed. To say that Geoff's greatest achievement was bringing back Hal and the Corps is the same thing, except in reverse.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-19-2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Geoff got rid of Vuldarian Guy and exonerated Hal in making Parallax the big yellow grasshopper of fear. I was cool with that until Geoff decided all the Corps were gonna need entities and made Ion the GLC's.

A lot of the stuff post Sinestro Corps War was also conceptualized by EVS and he didn't get due credit for his input on the other Corps. To say Geoff came up with all of it on his own is a disservice to the other people who were contributing to that era.

Pre Sinestro Corps War Geoff worked wonders with Hal's rogues in the same manner he did the Flash's during his time writing Wally West. Which is generally what a lot of Barry's comics mimic now. To make the villains real threats to Hal and his power ring was needed. The Shark, Tattooed Man, Hector Hammond, etc all needed facelifts. I just hate that we got away from that.

EDIT: Geoff's run on the Flash during the Wally West era is what I view as the perfect superhero comic formula. There was the legacy element, the rogues getting retooled and modernized [but not to the point of obscurity], Wally's dramatic shift in status quo's actually making sense, shifting POV's, time travel, you name it that run had it. And likely nailed it.

~//V\\~
                    Ωmega Man
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-19-2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

The sales of GL are awful. It's hard to call that a revival. What did he bring in that's had lasting appeal?

I think all of that could go away with no bad results. In fact, I think it could go away with good results.

That's not a ringing endorsement. I think a good writer could do away with them and nothing bad would come of it.

DC marketed Larfleeze as a "breakout character" when he got his own ongoing.

But not so many of them are enjoying it now. I think it's worse now than it was a long time ago, and the sales back up what I'm saying, but you're entitled to disagree.
                      What Geoff brought was stability. The sales are certainly sagging, but that's better than the multiple cancellations that GL has endured. Prior to '04, what were the most identifiable GL events to the casual fans? Hard Traveling Heroes? Emerald Twilight? Girlfriend in the refrigerator? Those moments were all well and good, but were they concepts that could support an ongoing title for years or decades? Without Geoff, GL might have gone through another cancellation instead of a golden age. I can't imagine anything positive coming from an attempt to completely roll back the clock. The mythos needs to go forward, not backward.
                      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I'm sorry, but crediting Geoff for bringing back Hal and the Corps and suggesting that they were a "creation" of his won't fly. There has never been a case of so many fans wanting something done, and of a comics company being so adamant against doing it. The company's behavior was strange and self-defeating, and it seems even more so with the passage of time.

John Broome and Julius Schwartz created Hal and the Corps, and DC finally brought them back when Kyle's sale dipped below 30K. Which BTW is about to happen again.
                        Trey Strain
                        Guardian of the Universe
                        Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-19-2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Green Lantern doesn't need anything added to it and never really has, except for some new villains. It really could use some new villains.

What it needs is for someone to go in there with a bush hog and eliminate the undergrowth that's accumulated in it for so long.

Except for taking the Guardians away, Geoff added stuff that took over the property. Like those invasive pythons did in the Everglades.

Comment

I'm sorry, but crediting Geoff for bringing back Hal and the Corps and saying that they were a "creation" of his won't fly. There has never been a case of so many fans wanting something done, and of a comics company being so adamant against doing it. The company's behavior was strange and self-defeating, and it seems even more so with the passage of time.

John Broome and Julius Schwartz created Hal and the Corps, and DC finally brought them back when Kyle's sale dipped below 30K. Which BTW is about to happen again.
                            I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen with the 2 GL titles, which is a shame since they're both solid. I know GL needs an injection of freshness, I'm just unsure of how DC goes about that right now. However, I'm sure that going to back to stories about Hal dating an underage alien or getting lobotomized by his ring isn't the way to go.

Comment

Green Lantern doesn't need anything added to it and never really has, except for some new villains. It really could use some new villains..
                              Now this is something on which I completely agree. I don't think it needs to be legacy villains or more light-wielders, either. The new characters should be different than anything we've seen in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X