The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 12-01-2009, 01:17 AM   #26
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
Recommended Marvel? Well my list looks like this:

AVENGERS INITIATIVE (old-school Avengers fun!)
MIGHTY AVENGERS (ditto)
CAPTAIN AMERICA (Ed Brubaker works wonders)
NEW AVENGERS (I enjoy it, I mean its a different animal to the old Avengers title, or any other but as long as you accept that it is fun, IMHO)
NOVA (especially if your a fan of GREEN LANTERN or GREEN LANTERN CORPS)
THUNDERBOLTS
TORCH (just because I'm a fan of Golden-Age characters)

Any of those are good, IMHO.
What's the premise of Nova? Can you give me any help getting into the issues?
Quaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #27
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Wolverine: Enemy of State is a really great trade. Buy the Ultimate Collection one, it is a softcover.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #28
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

speaking of ultimate collections, i was planning to get ALIAS collection 1 & 2.

is it good ?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #29
Lemmerman

I've just got the 4 Alias trades, not read them yet though. So I'm no help there

I'm glad that the first poster suggested Incredible Hercules. That book is brilliant. Invincible Iron Man has also been really strong since it first came out. I also like Ms. Marvel, but that's been cancelled
Old 12-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #30
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmerman View Post
I've just got the 4 Alias trades, not read them yet though. So I'm no help there

I'm glad that the first poster suggested Incredible Hercules. That book is brilliant. Invincible Iron Man has also been really strong since it first came out. I also like Ms. Marvel, but that's been cancelled
lemme know man, if Alias is good
Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 AM   #31
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Has anybody here metioned the Marvel Comisc scene. I hear its fantasitc. If you are into Star Wars, then its the book for you
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
James Hunter

Default Some Nova help

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliccorps View Post
What's the premise of Nova? Can you give me any help getting into the issues?
The basic premise of Nova for the first 18 issues was Rich taking on the responsibility of all the Nova Corps whilst adjusting to having the full power of the Worldmind in his brain.

The Worldmind has sowly been corrupted for much of the series and, from #18 it has been subtly recreating the Nova Corps whilst Rich has been sleeping. After the disaster of WAR OF KINGS there are now only 6 Nova centrurions (Rich as Nova Prime, Robbie Rider, Fraktur, Quibbit, Trey, Linda and Marrow with Palo who has just been rescued from the fault as the probitioners trainer/instructor. To put it in simple terms he is the Kilowog of the new corps).

It has been an excelent series from the word "go" but I recommend the following trades Annihilation: Nova, Annihilation Conquest-Nova, Nova-Secret Invasion and Nova-War of Kings at least.

Sorry if this reply appears a little dis-jointed hope its off some help though!

Cheers.

James.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #33
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Nova
New Mutants (especially if U were a fan of Vol. 1)
Realm of Kings
the Ultimates

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 PM   #34
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

This week I picked up the latest issues of Thor and Daredevil. I Enjoyed them both and will keep reading them in the future. I got Siege: The Cabal as well which set ups everything nicely for the main series. I also got Fall of the Hulks Alpha because of a recommendation from the guy at my comic shop. It was a fun read and I'll read the rest of the event. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #35
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, even though I ignored them.
Ok.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #36
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Castle View Post
Ok.
I didn't ignore your suggestions. You recommended reading Iron Man and Daredevil and I picked them both up. I can't afford to pick up everything everyone recommended even though I'd like to.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:23 AM   #37
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I didn't ignore your suggestions. You recommended reading Iron Man and Daredevil and I picked them both up. I can't afford to pick up everything everyone recommended even though I'd like to.

Yes, you did. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #38
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Castle View Post

Yes, you did. Thank you.
Your Welcome. For Daredevil I'm planning on picking up Kevin Smith's run and Brubaker's (including the new omnibus) within this month. I'm going to wait on the Fraction Iron Man trades until that omnibus/deluxe hardcover comes out in a few months.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #39
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Your Welcome. For Daredevil I'm planning on picking up Kevin Smith's run and Brubaker's (including the new omnibus) within this month. I'm going to wait on the Fraction Iron Man trades until that omnibus/deluxe hardcover comes out in a few months.
Yeah, that hardcover's pretty much the cheapest way to get it.

With DD, I'd just run down the hardcovers.

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Vol-...9991142&sr=8-1

Oh, some of the Bendis stuff is out of print. Well, you might have to get the Omnibus then. Or trades.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #40
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

*bump*

Attempting to get back into comic reading. Looking for books to get into quickly and cheaply from any publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, etc.) without having to read through copious amounts of TPBs. Any help is appreciated.

I see that Marvel has a variety of books with single-digit issue totals, so I'm thinking that could be a nice start when traveling to the LCS tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #41
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Marvel:

Hawkeye. The best Marvel book on the stands right now. When it's actually on the stands, the schedule is a bit erratic. The third TPB is out this month, but there's a nice oversized hardcover collecting the first two. This is the book about what Hawkeye does when he's not with the Avengers. In a nutshell, it's Steve McQueen in the Marvel Universe. It's amazing.

Moon Knight. Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey are making this a must-read book. It's a shame they're only on the title for two more months, making it a total of six issues. Great approach to the character, beautiful art. The only criticism is that Ellis is having no denouement to his stories, every issue ends immediately after the climax, which is irritating.

Ms. Marvel. It's a book about a muslim teenage girl with Pakistani parents, living in New Jersey, who gets crazy shape-shifting superpowers after being exposed to Terrigen Mists. It's as far removed from me as a reader as it could probably get. And yet I love every single issue. This is the Runaways of this decade, and not just because of the awesome, awesome Adrian Alphona artwork. Check out the free Infinity Comic at Comixology.

Silver Surfer. The biggest problem in almost fifty years of Silver Surfer was that the Surfer wasn't accessible as a character. Dan Slott fixes that by giving him a Doctor-Who-like female companion from Earth. And Mike Allred's trippy artwork is amazing, and a great fit for this book. Again, there's a free Infinite Comic teaser at Comixology.

Amazing Spider-Man. Forget One More Day. It was a shitty rush job with massive plotholes. But you can't deny that the Spider-Man comics have gotten progressively better since then. And a huge factor in this has been writer Dan Slott. He gets Peter and his supporting cast like few other writers, and yet he's not afraid to play with the Status Quo. Last year, he ended a classic body-switch storyline between Peter and Doc Ock by having Peter's mind in Ock's dying body. His attempt to send his mind back into his body failed, and Otto Octavius became the Superior Spider-Man, complete with minions, robot drones, and an actual supervillain HQ on an island. As if that wasn't enough, he cut all ties with Mary Jane, fell in love and moved in with a short person, made Peter's body get a Doctor's degree in nanotechnology and created the think tank Parker Industries. He punched Black Cat and handed her over to the police. He got the Avengers to the point where they wanted to throw him out.
And then Peter got his body back. And he has to deal with all the crap that Otto did. Two issues are out so far, and they are a great read. Bonus: #1 comes with a free reprint of the recent Inhuman #1 by Charles Soule and Joe Madureira.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #42
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Image:

Nailbiter. It's Silence of the Lambs meets Twin Peaks. Imagine a tiny town in Oregon that has spawned sixteen serial killers in the last fifty years. The latest one is the Nailbiter, a guy who abducts people who bite their fingernails. Be then waits until their nails grow back, chews their nails right off and kills them. He gets caught in the first four pages of #1, the rest happens months later. Because one man wants to find out why so many serial killers come from this town. He discovers the truth, calls his friend over and immediately goes missing. His friend now has to deal with this weird town and all its secrets.

Ghosted. Another book by Joshua Williamson, the writer of Nailbiter. It starts with a guy assembling an Ocean's Eleven type team for a spectacular heist. He has to go into a haunted mansion... and steal the ghost. Basically, it's Hellblazer outside of Vertigo. Which is a good thing because DC cancelled Hellblazer and replaced it with the boring character assassination called "Constantine". Ew.

Sex Criminals. Five issues are out (and available in one TPB collection), the sixth is coming soon. Sex Criminals is the story of a girl who can stop time for everyone else - whenever she has an orgasm. She's working at a library that has massive financial problems. The bank wants to foreclose the property because they want to tear down the library and sell the land at a profit. Enter the love of her life - who has the exact same powers. And he's working at the bank, and he hates it. They soon have the idea that they could fuck and make time stand still, rob the bank and save the library. But things are much more complicated than they think. What saves this somewhat silly idea is the brilliant characterization of the two lead characters. They are some of the most well-rounded and honest characters I've seen in a long time. And the tons of background jokes are an additional layer of fun.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #43
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

I read a few issues of Hawkeye years ago, so I'm intrigued to check that out again.If Ellis wasn't leaving the book so soon, I'd probably start Moon Knight. I liked Slott's ASM previously, so that sounds like a good move. Ms. Marvel and Silver Surfer seem right up my alley as more personal, stand-alone tales, so those sound perfect. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: From looking around the web, Nailbiter seemed liked something to read up on, so that only validates it. Great.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #44
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

DC:

The big problem is that DC relaunched all of their books in September 2011. Most of the titles have been cancelled since then, those that survived are hard to get in without "copious amounts of trade paperbacks". However, there are certain jumping-on points.

Batman. Although I highly recommend starting at #1 from 2011 (there are four paperbacks out so far), they had a great jumping on point last year, when they started the year-long "Zero Year" storyline. It's basically Batman's origin in the New 52, complete with what might be Joker's origin and the Riddler taking control of Gotham City. It's exciting.

Wonder Woman. There is no recent jumping on point, but the book is so great that I have to recommend it anyway. Again, there are four trades available, but if your LCS is well-stocked, they should have the $1 reprint of the first issue to get a taste. In a nutshell, Wonder Woman has been active in Man's World for five or six years when she discovers that she wasn't made from clay after all. That was a lie, told to protect her. Turns out Hippolyta is her biological mother, and her father is none other than Zeus. Who is gone, leaving behind a power vacuum on Mount Olympus. Wonder Woman now gets drawn into a Game of Thrones like power struggle. Gods and demigods fight, die, and spin their intrigues. And everything is centered around one little baby. The baby of the prophecy. Highest recommendations.

Justice League. Another long running series, but don't worry, all you need is last month's #30. Here's the story so far: The Justice League was founded five years ago. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman and... uh... Cyborg (don't ask why). They have protected Earth from alien invasions, Atlantean forces and countless other threats. But when their evil counterparts from Earth 3 took over the world, it was Lex Luthor and his ragtag team of villains who saved the day. In his eyes, that makes him League material. Which is why he decided to overhaul the Justice League, with himself as the leader...
I'll be honest. Geoff Johns' Justice League run has been more miss than hit and was only saved by the stellar artwork of Jim Lee and Ivan Reis. But the new status quo is intriguing.

Vertigo:

The Wake. A ten-part series. Nine issues are out already. There's a collection of #1-5, and it's cheap. You should be able to get, or at least reorder, issues #6-9 at your LCS. It's not easy to describe The Wake without giving too much away. Let's just say that there's a civilization of underwater monstrosities, older than humanity. And the book starts with the first contact. It's a cross between Alien, Abyss and Waterworld (but it's much better than Waterworld). It's scary. And I can't wait for issue #10 to come out so that I can read them all in one sitting.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #45
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
*bump*

Attempting to get back into comic reading. Looking for books to get into quickly and cheaply from any publisher (Marvel, DC, Image, etc.) without having to read through copious amounts of TPBs. Any help is appreciated.

I see that Marvel has a variety of books with single-digit issue totals, so I'm thinking that could be a nice start when traveling to the LCS tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

wb man.

anywho, are U just looking for series to get into, or do U want some good reads??

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #46
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Who would want to get into a series that isn't a good read?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #47
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

wb man.

anywho, are U just looking for series to get into, or do U want some good reads??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Preferably both, Taz!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #48
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern

Mileage REALLY varies for something like this, but my favorite Marvel storylines are:

Fraction's run on Hawkeye
"Age of Apocalypse"
Uncanny X-Force: Sex and Violence

Though I've fallen behind, just the straight up Uncanny X-Force.
The new She-Hulk is damn entertaining, as is the new Ms Marvel title.

I like my Marvel universe to take the shape of ridiculous slice of life, or gratuitous violence.

Also, books I can't recommend nearly enough:

Saga
The Rat Queens
Sex Criminals
Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #49
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Lobdell fans.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #50
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
I didnt mean good read as in "quality" per se, but rather "of limited duration"........

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 06-17-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Tags
marvel