The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 4
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 4
View Poll Results: Is it time for a new Green Lantern?
Yes, it probably is 50 60.98%
No, probably not 32 39.02%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #51
Zan_Black_Lantern
Senior Corps Member

No, simple as that i don't think a new Earth GL would work
Zan_Black_Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #52
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The strange part is that he doesn't even get much attention in a title featuring the Justice Society of America.
Quite true, which is SO sad. Alan, Jay, and Carter should take up the most page space in JSA.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #53
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

You could say the same thing about John in JLA when McDuffie was there. John never had any moments, development until the very end where he would just be Vixen's antagonist.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #54
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxLantern View Post
I like the different Earth lanterns with their different personalities. A completely new GL isn't necessary until they kill one of them off.

John got his own his own mini-series and I don't hear a lot of talk about Mosaic.
thats easy, it was becuz:

1) he played caretaker for the entire run of the book, and not Captain Butt-kicker SUPREME!!

2) a good number of the stories were fucking SUREAL.

3) gotta say it: they played the BLACK -card a few times, which DOESNT usually attract readers.

4) it just never found its audience, even tho it was well-written (but crudely drawn IMNSHO).

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #55
RageofAtrocitus

No!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #56
LanternBrina
Lady in Waiting

How about they move Hal to Green Lantern Corps and put the new Green Lantern or Kyle in the main book?

I read there was a Russian woman Green Lantern once. Maybe she can get a ring again?
LanternBrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #57
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

I'd have to say a big NO on the rotating GL's - they tried it already in volume 3 and it didn't work. It'd just end up dividing the GL fanbase even more with nobody coming out the winner.

If there weren't already so many active earth GL's, I'd love to see an earth woman get a ring. I've always thought Marz should've killed Kyle a few issues into his run to really surprise us and given the ring to Alex as the main post-Hal GL.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #58
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle should get his own series with Wally and Connor. John, Jade and Alan should go into the GLC. Green Lantern should be left alone.

That would give you three strong, viable titles, although only two of them would actually be GL titles.

I'd also like to see Hal and Superman teamed up in an ongoing, instead of Superman and Batman. And Batman and Oliie should team up in a title.

That fixes everything that's GL-related.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 AM   #59
Omega Lantern
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via AIM to Omega Lantern Send a message via Yahoo to Omega Lantern

if one of the other corps survive blackest night perhaps a blue, sapphire, or indigo in titans, gl, glc, jsa, or jla
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #60
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Might be hard to write the adventures of an Indigo or Blue lantern on Earth with the Titans.

But I like the idea of Kyle teaming up with Wally and Connor. There has to be something DC can do with the 90's characters besides killing them off.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #61
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I'd like to see...
  • ...Hal continue as the main lantern of Green Lantern as long as Geoff writes it.
  • ...John moved over to GLC. Have it be about Guy, John and Kyle, using the musical chairs approach mentioned above. Move the alien Lanterns to a backup feature in the book, and use that backup feature to tell us more about Arisia, Sodam, Kilowog, Stel, etc. And use it to introduce new characters from other sectors.
  • ...a new continuity, running parallel to the current books, kinda like an Ultimate DC. Over here, we could introduce a new Earth Lantern. Say, a female Special Effects designer from Hollywood. Let's see what she can do with the ring.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #62
Shingo Wol

Hal is fine. Although i'd like it if john got a little more face time.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 AM   #63
gambello
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanternBrina View Post
How about they move Hal to Green Lantern Corps and put the new Green Lantern or Kyle in the main book?

I read there was a Russian woman Green Lantern once. Maybe she can get a ring again?
Dude, haven't you been reading the comments?? There are already FOUR Green Lanterns already on Earth (five if you include Alan Scott). There doesn't need to be another one. And although I like Kyle, Hal is the only guy I want for the main Green Lantern book, esp. if Johns is writing it. Why even bother to bring Hal back as a GL in the first place if you're going to make Kyle the main guy again?
gambello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #64
twoeightonefour
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
I'd also like to see Hal and Superman teamed up in an ongoing, instead of Superman and Batman. And Batman and Oliie should team up in a title.
I'd rather see Barry and Hal teamed up in a series similar to Superman/Batman or bring back the Green Arrow/Green Lantern team up.

As for a new Lantern, I'd like to see it but not on Earth. Leave Hal where he is, he is the best GL and I've always found Guy to be a "trying too hard" character and John a bit boring. Kyle was alright but they've already screwed with him enough knocking him around in terms of importance that I don't think I'd follow the book.

There are thousands of sectors, why not create a book based on one of them? If the writing is interesting they could easily tell stories that were compelling, get a new Lantern learning the ropes without screwing with Earth's continuity, not to mention tie-ins and crossovers would be easily to accomplish. I wouldn't mind seeing the training of a Green Lantern with Kilowog at the helm, really see what they go through from Day One until they "graduate".
Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #65
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeightonefour View Post
I'd rather see Barry and Hal teamed up in a series similar to Superman/Batman or bring back the Green Arrow/Green Lantern team up.

As for a new Lantern, I'd like to see it but not on Earth. Leave Hal where he is, he is the best GL and I've always found Guy to be a "trying too hard" character and John a bit boring. Kyle was alright but they've already screwed with him enough knocking him around in terms of importance that I don't think I'd follow the book.

There are thousands of sectors, why not create a book based on one of them? If the writing is interesting they could easily tell stories that were compelling, get a new Lantern learning the ropes without screwing with Earth's continuity, not to mention tie-ins and crossovers would be easily to accomplish. I wouldn't mind seeing the training of a Green Lantern with Kilowog at the helm, really see what they go through from Day One until they "graduate".

This, it would be awesome.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #66
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
This, it would be awesome.
I agree.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #67
twoeightonefour
Weaponer of Qward

It could be done amazingly well, with Earth's Lanterns they've almost been all naturals, controlling the ring and flying through trainings to the point of them being useless. A new Lantern from an alternate sector could be chosen because of his potential and have to go through learning how to control the ring, learning the codes, even the oath. Its easy for an established Lantern to flip off the Guardians but for a newbie, everything and anything they said would be law and so imagine the angst if they found another trainee they were attracted to but couldn't do anything about or had to apprehend a family member because it was the law even though inside they wished they didn't have to. You could really make the book something if DC really wanted to give us a fresh take on the Lantern mythos without having to reboot Sector 2814.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #68
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I'd like to see...
  • ...Hal continue as the main lantern of Green Lantern as long as Geoff writes it.
  • ...John moved over to GLC. Have it be about Guy, John and Kyle, using the musical chairs approach mentioned above. Move the alien Lanterns to a backup feature in the book, and use that backup feature to tell us more about Arisia, Sodam, Kilowog, Stel, etc. And use it to introduce new characters from other sectors.
  • ...a new continuity, running parallel to the current books, kinda like an Ultimate DC. Over here, we could introduce a new Earth Lantern. Say, a female Special Effects designer from Hollywood. Let's see what she can do with the ring.
I like the idea of John being back in space with the rest of the GLC, especially since Hal will be fronting the JLA. That said, I adore how GLC gives a balanced approach to storytelling with the entire Corps. Characters like Natu, Iolande, Vath Sarn and Isamot Kol provide a lot of texture to the stories and deserve to be more than just backup characters.
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #69
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeightonefour View Post
A new Lantern from an alternate sector could be chosen because of his potential and have to go through learning how to control the ring, learning the codes, even the oath. Its easy for an established Lantern to flip off the Guardians but for a newbie, everything and anything they said would be law and so imagine the angst if they found another trainee they were attracted to but couldn't do anything about or had to apprehend a family member because it was the law even though inside they wished they didn't have to. Y
Whew. Some punctuation in that second sentence would've been nice!

Good idea, though. GLC was doing this to a point with Sodam Yat, but his bearing of the Ion power and his destiny as the last Guardian eclipsed his rookie status. It would be interesting to see a story documenting a tougher training process for a rookie GL, even after getting the badge.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #70
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

I think we need a new one and a definite exit for at least one of the four we've got now

A younger/teen Lantern would be better, appeal to a younger audience and would add a new dynamic to younger teams like the Teen Titans

I think the mythos is geared too much towards an older audience and existing fans, a re-vamp for a younger crowd would be better, they don't even need to replace Hal, the new GL could get a new title, like Robin did

Problem is you'd need a brand new char, not linked to the previous ones, maybe another minority, a muslim Lantern would be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastroncafe
Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #71
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

I'd be very interested in a Lantern from west Africa or Malaysia, who approaches the role from their cultural perspectives.

That said, a lot of the alien species act as cultural analogues to the American Earth-based GLs, anyway.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #72
Rainbow Lantern

What if Alan Scott died and passed on his ring.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #73
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Lantern View Post
What if Alan Scott died and passed on his ring.
Funny you should say that. Check the fan fiction thread..
Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #74
Rainbow Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Funny you should say that. Check the fan fiction thread..
NO WAIZ!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #75
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Lantern View Post
NO WAIZ!!!
Waiz I wrote a 4 issue arc (as scripts) for a story I call "The Green Lantern Forever Burns The Flame" you can read the scripts here http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=10591

Enjoy

Darth_Andrea