Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #6777
BLACK HAND
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post

Me too, I dug it. Reminded me of those old 80's sci-fi/fantasy flicks like Krull, Ice Pirates, Space Raider, and more than a dash of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. If you dug that stuff as a kid you will have a lot of fun with Thor. Great Saturday popcorn movie...and now I can't wait for Infinity War.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #6778
Space Cop
The Dandy

13 Ghosts (1960)

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies."

Duel (1971)

''Twenty, twenty-five minutes out of your whole life and then all the ropes that kept you hanging in there are cut loose. And there you are, back in the jungle again.''

The White-Haired Witch [of Lunar Kingdom] (2014)

"I will remember for both of us."

Nightmare[s in a Demented Brain] (1981)

"You ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-12-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #6779
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:

My wife and I saw this last night at an Imax. Pretty entertaining time, though the joke onslaught was a bit too much.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:51 PM   #6780
Space Cop
The Dandy

Eyes without a Face (1960)

"Smile. Smile. Not too much."

13 Frightened Girls [aka The Candy Web] (1963)

"A dead language is not worth dying for."

Reel Injun (2009)

"We're too busy trying to protect the idea of a Native American or an Indian, but we're not Indians and we're not Native Americans. We're older than both concepts."

A pretty good (not great) documentary about American Indians in cinema.

Casper (1995)

"You think you got it tough? I got a facelift! And there's one that looks just like it underneath!"

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-12-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:52 AM   #6781
robojac
Weaponer of Qward

Justice League: War (2014)

Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #6782
Space Cop
The Dandy

Vernon, Florida (1981)

"I wish there were as many turkeys as there are buzzards."

Class of 1999 (1989)

"Do you believe everything you hear in school?"

Sharknado 3: Oh, Hell No! (2015)

"Sharks in space!"

Wonder Woman (2017)

"Really, specs? Suddenly she's not the most beautiful woman you've ever seen?"

Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh (1991)

"Admit it; you think she's pretty."

Goofy, low-budget horror comedy with the one benefit that Tom Savini did the effects.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-18-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #6783
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I remember catching Class of 1999 on TV once, years ago. I really should sit down and watch the whole thing one day.

Suicide Squad (2016)

"I'm a soldier. You're a serial killer who takes credit cards."

Trying to be as cohesive as the animated Assault on Arkham, but I still liked some of it.

The use of Belle Reve as a supermax for metahumans and supervillains galore was good because that's been DC's version of the Vault/Raft/Cube/whatever-they-use-now for a while, although it still felt like Harley and Croc should have been in Arkham anyway since they're Batman Rogues. It would have made things a bit better had Waller made a comment about pulling some strings and transferring them to Reve to pull the team together more easily. Eh.

I couldn't really get into Harley. It's not that I have always disliked the character, but I've always had trouble liking her to begin with (same with Joker, just hard to connect for me despite wanting to really enjoy each). I kind of liked her roller-girl look, and I really loved the revolver she uses, though. Her crazy could have been toned just a tad down.

Croc looked pretty good, really have to applaud the makeup artists.

Diablo was just stellar. Great design, good effects for his powers, and a man who understands the cost of power. Arguably the best character of the entire cast.

Deadshot was basically Will Smith with a gun. He's a great actor, but it felt less like Floyd Lawton and more like Will Smith with a gun. He had a great costume, though, and some good scenes and dialog, so I'm going to say that he was a benefit to this film rather than a detriment.

Katana and Boomerang were barebones, but acceptable. Boomerang was at least kind of funny.

Rick Flagg is trying so hard to be the consummate soldier who's in command of a squad of misfits, but he's really just a helpless boyfriend with a brand-new 9mm he bought at Wal-Mart. Could have served as a really great foil to Deadshot, failed. Try harder, script writer(s).

Enchantress should have really just been the villain the whole time or not been in the film to begin with. Having her unearthed and she follows magical leylines to a convergence point that she then taps into in order to upheave the world magically could have been the Dr. Strange-like plot for a Justice League Dark live-action flick. The mortal host, June Moone (terrible name) looks like a squeaky-clean librarian stereotype.

Jared Leto's Joker is the reason I wanted to see this (though I'm going to have to find a cheap copy of the Extended Cut for his extra material). I mostly liked his version, maybe a few less metal teeth and no facial tattoos, but otherwise I rather liked his redesign (I'm a big tattoo fan, though). I felt like he really got cheated out of a good film here, both Leto and the Joker character, so I'm hoping the sequel (if it ever happens) will address this. I did find his gang's costumes (noticed the Batman mask, hilarious) to be highly amusing.

Really, plot should have been Waller pulling together the Squad ("Task Force X") and marking Joker for death as a dry-run for them, coincidentally testing Quinn for her love-hate relationship with Joker. Squad goes in to Joker's territory, tussles with the gang he controls so we can showcase them all in some fights, and then walks into his personal headquarters only to realize the place is an insane death trap that even Quinn has trouble getting through. Joker begins to actively funnel/hunt the Squad, like a superhuman cat-and-mouse scenario. Boom, better film, collect money and awards, do it again in three years with the sequel.

So yeah, not terrible, but it lacked any sense of cohesion and the editing was a complete mess. Tried way too hard to be a wild new thing where the bad guys are the heroes rather than pace itself properly. Reeks of studio hack-job.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:17 AM   #6784
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hell or High Water (2016)

"Are you trying to make me mad? I said Dr. Pepper, this is Mr. Pibb.
-That's all they had.
Only a***oles drink Mr. Pibb.
-Drink up."

Dream House (2011)

"There is something wrong with this house."

Prophecy (1979)

"What's the only liquid in the world that isn't wet?"

The Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981)

"Which is the moth and which is the flame?"

Psycho III (1986)

"You could have been coming instead of going!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I remember catching Class of 1999 on TV once, years ago. I really should sit down and watch the whole thing one day.
It is on a DVD horror collection (though it's not really a horror movie) I have and a friend had mentioned it multiple times, so when he came over tonight we watched it. It was fun.

Quote:
Suicide Squad (2016) . . . Really, plot should have been Waller pulling together the Squad ("Task Force X") and marking Joker for death as a dry-run for them . . . So yeah, not terrible, but it lacked any sense of cohesion and the editing was a complete mess. Tried way too hard to be a wild new thing where the bad guys are the heroes rather than pace itself properly. Reeks of studio hack-job.
Yeah, I like, but didn't love Suicide Squad. I'd pretty much echo your sentiments. The biggest problems were (1) editing; (2) that's a horrible main threat for the first story. The threat-came-from-within story is the kind of thing you should do when you're two or three deep into a series, but not when you're trying to establish it. And the first threat shouldn't have been magical. Maybe Joker or at least something terrestrial (a terrorist or assassinate a North Korean-type dictator). They could have done that and still had some hidden agenda from Waller (and, btw, killing the feds was OTT). I liked Leto's Joker a lot and personally think it's a closer to the traditional comic book villain than Ledger's morose anarchist, though they focused on him as a gangster more than has probably been done since the silver age.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-15-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #6785
robojac
Weaponer of Qward

Batman: Bad Blood (2016)

Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #6786
Space Cop
The Dandy

Deep Water (2006)

"People need to dream."

Dark Star: HR Giger's World (2014)

"I've seen everything I wanted to see. Everything I wanted to do or show, I've done it."

Following (1998)

"You take it away to show them what they had."

Blow-Up (1966)

"Nothing like a little disaster for sorting things out."

Weird, hippie-type movie in which witnessing a murder is part of the story without the movie being a real mystery or procedural. A strange plus is that in a night-club scene the movie captures the band The Yardbirds in the short time when both Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck (who smashes his guitar a la Townsend) were in it.

Dragon [aka Wuxia] (2011)

"Is the law really more important than humanity?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-18-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #6787
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Review here. https://dailyuv.com/feed/931266
Old 11-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #6788
robojac
Weaponer of Qward

Wonder Woman (2017)

Old 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #6789
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

it looks like my film script is going to get produced. And I'm hard at work on a second one. If it happens, I'll review them here before they come out. But i don't promise to be unbiased.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 11-17-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:58 AM   #6790
Space Cop
The Dandy

Get Out (2017)

"So I do all my research, you know, 'cause as a TSA agent. You know, you guys are detectives. You know, I got the same training. We might know more than y'all sometimes, you know, 'cause we are dealing with some terrorist s**t."

Whitey: United States of America v. James J. Bulger (2014)

"Expletive you, too!"
Old 11-18-2017, 05:21 AM   #6791
robojac
Weaponer of Qward

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #6792
Space Cop
The Dandy

Ong Bak 2 (2008)

"Your life depends on you."

Personal Shopper (2016)

"You know how they say the dead watch over the living?"

M (1931)

"It's me, pursuing myself! I want to escape, to escape from myself! But it's impossible. I can't escape, I have to obey it."

Quote:
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)
I really liked that movie. I keep meaning to pick it up on BD, but like most Disney cartoons, it never comes down in price (and I've only amassed so large a collection because I get things on sale or used).
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #6793
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Doomsday (2008)

"If you're hungry, why not try a piece of your friend?"

A viral outbreak causes Scotland to be cut off from the rest of the world. Thirty years later a now-adult former refugee, as a Domestic Defense Security agent, is sent back in with a team to find a possible cure when the virus resurfaces in London.

In a nutshell, this is The Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome, and maybe a bit of Fury Road of a Scottish flavoring, mixed with the "disease apocalypse" trope. Really works out fairly well, to be honest.

The main character, Eden Sinclair (Rhona Mitra), gives impressions of Jolie's Lara Croft, but has the bonus of a technological eyeball (hers was shot out as a child while escaping the quarantine). Her superior officer is none other than Bob Hoskins (and instead of warning cartoon rabbits not to drink liquor, he's warning the English government about things going "tits up"), who turns in the usual solid performance yet again (which just makes me miss him even more).

There are actually a load of villains here:

1) The English Government --- led by Prime Minister John Hatcher (Alexander Siddig), right hand Micheal Canaris (David O'Hara), who mismanage things so badly that the virus finds new birthing grounds in city slums. Siddig's character makes me wonder if he's a critique of Margaret Thatcher, because I know not everyone loved her. O'Hara has a very unique voice, sounds like his throat is clogged with phlegm or something so it makes him difficult to understand, but at the same time gives him a sinister air.

2) The Cannibals --- led by Sol (Craig Conway), whose right hand is Viper (Lee-Anne Liebenberg), they bring The Road Warrior to the streets of the Celts. He's this psychotic showman (has a stage show he puts on, complete with scantily-clad female strippers and kilt-wearing burly dudes legging it to the can-can song. Their antics are actually kind of entertaining and humorous, but they're far from being pushovers.

3) Dr. Marcus Kane --- played by Malcolm McDowell, he's the target the team must find to get a cure and stop the resurgent virus. He's also the reason Beyond Thunderdome has resonance here. You might say this film fulfills a time-travel dream fight some might wonder about.

The visuals are pretty damn solid: lots of city shots of either shit-loads of people dying of a gruesome infection or haunting shots of abandoned homes and institutes, coupled with some truly gorgeous location scenes. Really gives the sense that decades of dereliction have passed by.

You also get a unique look for each faction (the cannibals are post-apoc biker/street gang freaks; protags are armor-suited soldiers; etc). Really creates distinct aesthetics to tell everyone apart.

Overall this is a pretty decent action flick. Gives a good nostalgia feel for George Miller's old works and yet has a fresh take on things. Gotta suspend a fair bit of disbelief but then again, it IS an action flick.
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM   #6794
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Evil [aka House of Evil] (1978)

"You are an endless source of amusement to me."

Pretty standard haunted house flick except Richard Crenna takes the lead as a skeptic trying to set up a drug rehab in an old mansion over hot springs.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Also (after finishing the book) re-watched the 1997 mini-series of The Shining. I won't do the full bit because it's a mini-series not a real movie. There are good bits, but however closer to the book it may be (King scripted it), it could never live up to Kubrick's masterpiece (which I personally believe is a better movie than King's is a book, even though it's a pretty good book).

Quote:
Doomsday (2008) . . . In a nutshell, this is The Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome, and maybe a bit of Fury Road of a Scottish flavoring, mixed with the "disease apocalypse" trope. Really works out fairly well, to be honest. . .
I liked that one. Think I might have written a couple words on it here.

Quote:
...2) The Cannibals --- led by Sol (Craig Conway), whose right hand is Viper (Lee-Anne Liebenberg), they bring The Road Warrior to the streets of the Celts. He's this psychotic showman (has a stage show he puts on, complete with scantily-clad female strippers and kilt-wearing burly dudes legging it to the can-can song. Their antics are actually kind of entertaining and humorous, but they're far from being pushovers...
And he enters to Adam Ant's "Dog Eat Dog," which I thought was perfect.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
it looks like my film script is going to get produced. And I'm hard at work on a second one. If it happens, I'll review them here before they come out. But i don't promise to be unbiased.
When will you be able to give us the title?

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 01:53 AM.
Old Today, 05:30 AM   #6795
robojac
Weaponer of Qward

Justice League (2017)

Old Today, 01:37 PM   #6796
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post

When will you be able to give us the title?
Both of them are adaptations of old novels that are in the public domain. That's all I can tell you now.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:12 PM   #6797
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Omen (2006)

"All of this is for you!"

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 02:46 PM.