Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 20 years, will anyone care about Kyle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 20 years, will anyone care about Kyle?

I mean, at the current trajectory. With Kyle just showing up in guest appearances here or there, stuff that comes around like Titans and gets cancelled after 2 years?
    Yes
    81.82%
    No
    18.18%

Will there even be monthly comics in print form in 20 years?

Comment

As for your question about Kyle specifically, it all depends on how many comic fans who were kids in the mid 90s that became GL fans because of Kyle will still be around reading comics in 20 years. Some characters have been engrained into comic culture through multiple generations. Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Peter Parker...all characters who have 50 to 80 years behind them and multiple generations of fans. Kyle doesn't have that luxury. His time was 10 years, which is pretty impressive as his character kept the title afloat by himself that entire time. But it just seems smaller and smaller in the grand scheme of things as more time goes by. It's now been 13 years since that 10 year reign ended. Because of that I think ultimately it depends on how many fans stick around for 20 years who specifically came in at that crucial time of circa 1995.

I personally don't think Kyle will be considered relavant in 20 years, but not so much because of dwindling Kyle fans as dwindling comic book fans as a whole.

Comment

I've gone through phases of favorites in four decades as a comic fan, especially with Marvel. However, Kyle has been my favorite DC character for many years now. I can't imagine another character ever supplanting him at this point. Even with Hal and the Corps returning, I've been quite happy with Kyle's role at DC.

My concern right now is that WB is missing a huge opportunity with him. As I was watching the Venom film again this week, I thought about the similarities with the Eddie and Kyle's places in comic lore. The original Venom was a white-hot breakout character for around 10 years until Marvel couldn't figure out what to do with him. Until recently, Eddie was an afterthought who only appeared in short arcs. Spider-man and Marvel cartoons over the last decade have mostly featured other versions of Venom, despite the fact that they aren't nearly as popular as the original. Yet Sony decided to tap into the magic of Venom in the 1990s, and we're seeing a renaissance for the character. If WB made an animated movie about Kyle's journey, put him in the Flash TV show, or told his story on the big screen, it would be a goldmine.
        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
          As for your question about Kyle specifically, it all depends on how many comic fans who were kids in the mid 90s that became GL fans because of Kyle will still be around reading comics in 20 years. Some characters have been engrained into comic culture through multiple generations. Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Peter Parker...all characters who have 50 to 80 years behind them and multiple generations of fans. Kyle doesn't have that luxury. His time was 10 years, which is pretty impressive as his character kept the title afloat by himself that entire time. But it just seems smaller and smaller in the grand scheme of things as more time goes by. It's now been 13 years since that 10 year reign ended. Because of that I think ultimately it depends on how many fans stick around for 20 years who specifically came in at that crucial time of circa 1995.
          Kyle had a good solo run, and has went on to appear in more comics than even John and Guy who've got more of that luxurious time and experience behind them you mention. And for a 23 year old, going on 24 year old character, I think he's had a damn good run thus far. When his character turns 25 in 2020 DC should make a big deal about it somehow through some form of comics/merch. I'd streamline his story a tad in a mini series, say he's been a GL since he was 21 in the context of the comics timeline, and actually have him turning 25 in the context of a comic.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
          I personally don't think Kyle will be considered relavant in 20 years, but not so much because of dwindling Kyle fans as dwindling comic book fans as a whole.
          Comics just need to refocus on some thing to connect with the right audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
            When his character turns 25 in 2020 DC should make a big deal about it somehow through some form of comics/merch.
            His 25th is in 2019. Emerald Twilight came out in early 1994.

Comment

I liked Kyle and his "the one, the only Green Lantern" power ring that had no rules (and no yellow weakness). If it wasn't for the idiot Ion years and the Black Hole Gang mess-up before Rebirth, Kyle could have gone on for years. He's still in the DC 1,000,000 storyline. But after "The Ring Thief" and "Space Jesus" forecast, having Kyle depowered into "just" a Green Lantern again was a big disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                His 25th is in 2019. Emerald Twilight came out in early 1994.
                Kyle didn't even have a name in his first appearance during ET [first part WAS January '94], I'd make his birthday based on his first full issue of GL, which was #51 in May '94.

I'd even go the full monty and have the proposed mini also celebrate the anniversary of the death of Alexandra DeWitt in issue #54 dated August of '94.

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                I liked Kyle and his "the one, the only Green Lantern" power ring that had no rules (and no yellow weakness). If it wasn't for the idiot Ion years and the Black Hole Gang mess-up before Rebirth, Kyle could have gone on for years. He's still in the DC 1,000,000 storyline. But after "The Ring Thief" and "Space Jesus" forecast, having Kyle depowered into "just" a Green Lantern again was a big disappointment.
                I had hoped that after HJ&tGLC Hal's enhanced ring would be given to Kyle full-time to more mirror his classic role in the GLC and power set. I think with a couple tweaks that EVS redesign would've been a perfect base suit for him moving forward.

Comment

It's really hard to say what will be going on 20 years from now, but at the current trajectory, I think the answer is no.

Kyle Rayner will certainly never be a mere footnote in Green Lantern lore like I think Simon Baz will, but the character hasn't been relevant for a very long time already. While it's difficult to say what the future of "Big 2" comics will be, many of the actual characters and concepts that originated from comics are very healthy and enduring. People love superheroes and they have for decades! I don't think that will change, or at least it shows no signs of changing. Indeed, you can make a very strong case that people love superheroes now more than ever before. However, they tend to love them outside of comics.

Kyle Rayner had an impressive comic book run, but what he has always severely lacked are notable appearances in other (beloved) media. I would say his most notable appearance was a single episode of Superman: The Animated Series from about... psh... what was it now? 22 years ago or something?

A lack of outside media presence and relatively weak support from DC makes me skeptical that people will care all that much about the character 20 years from now. There's just nothing now to suggest that he will get many new fans going forward, which is vital for relevance.

But! In 1991 who would have believed you if you told them that Iron Man would be more popular than the X-Men and be Marvel's biggest hero? Or for something closer to topic, who would have believed you if you told them that John Stewart would be on the popular Justice League cartoon with Kevin Conroy's Batman? At the time, there was no reason to think the character would even be a contender for that slot.
                  You never really know what might happen. Something totally unexpected could happen and cause some sort of zeitgeist or something.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-23-2018, 07:18 AM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    It's really hard to say what will be going on 20 years from now, but at the current trajectory, I think the answer is no. . .You never really know what might happen. Something totally unexpected could happen and cause some sort of zeitgeist or something.
                    Yeah, you never know with something like that. 20 years from now, Kyle could referenced by some new Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison and have a sudden comeback. There have been several characters who came back from the four-color graveyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Yeah, you never know with something like that. 20 years from now, Kyle could referenced by some new Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison and have a sudden comeback. There have been several characters who came back from the four-color graveyard.
                      So I am thinking about that seriously for a minute. In 1994-95, boys that were 12 years old that would be the most inspired by Kyle Rayner's debut in GL volume 3 would have been born around 1981-84. Those boys are all in their late 30s now. In 20 years they will all be in their late 50s, pushing 60 and retirement age themselves. They won't be young budding up and coming comic writers.

Any Kyle fans in the industry are ALREADY writing.

Comment

Unless they became fans post-Infinite Crisis or Sinestro Corps War. They'd be up and comers now in the biz, and be future Morrisons and Snyders 20 years from now and in their 50's... LOL

The concept will always remain, but if the GLC film is another bust for the franchise it might get the complete overhaul some folks think it needs.

I don't know if the DCU would be the same if it was the Tangent or Stan Lee GL rubbing shoulders with the mainstream Superman and Batman rather than Hal and the Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
                          I had hoped that after HJ&tGLC Hal's enhanced ring would be given to Kyle full-time to more mirror his classic role in the GLC and power set. I think with a couple tweaks that EVS redesign would've been a perfect base suit for him moving forward. ]
                          Instead of Hal giving up the Krona Power Gauntlet leading to a time loop with Kyle's and Soranik Natu's future son using the Gauntlet to try and destroy the GLC for the sake of the Sinestro Corps, we could have had Kyle becoming the Torchbearer again, rather than an also-Earth-Lantern.

Comment

I can't imagine too many new Kyle fans in the industry that. Discovered him after the 2005 Rebirth reboot. Especially that will be A list talent 20 years from now in their late 40s. But say there are...if a GLC movie flops, do you really think they will throw out everything in the comics to revert to Kyle as the only GL again like the 90s? I just don't see that.

I can see DC trying to rework the franchise to update it for a new generation, but after all this time the Corps concept and mythology are pretty well established. For instance, if you wanted to really shake things up you could make Alan Scott the sole GL again. Retell his origin in modern times with him as a young character, and revamp him however you want with personality, appearance, costume etc. But I just can't see DC doing that when so much merchandising has been tied up in the GLC mythology. And I only pick Alan because it is such an extreme example. Anyone else would be Hal-lite.

I suppose I could see DC doing something stupid and killing off everybody for a while, and trying a title with a tranny, minority, gay, woman, etc fill in the blank pc checklist and seeing if that sells. Kind of like when they made Rene Montoya the hat trick of pc wet dreams by replacing Vic Sage with a woman/lesbian/latina. Hell, maybe Jessica Cruz has a better shot than I want to think about. But I don't see it being Kyle in a second tour of duty.

Comment

You don't have to wipe out the corps again to give Kyle another solo book.

Comment

Working...
                              X