The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #1
TazzMission
Banned

Default Hawaii astronomer captures image of forming planet

HONOLULU (AP) — Astronomers have captured the first direct image of a planet being born.

Adam Kraus, of the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy, said the planet is being formed out of dust and gas circling a 2-milion-year-old star about 450 light years from Earth.

The planet itself, based on scientific models of how planets form, is estimated to have started taking shape about 50,000 to 100,000 years ago.

Called LkCa 15 b, it's the youngest planet ever observed. The previous record holder was about five times older.

Kraus and his colleague, Michael Ireland from Macquarie University and the Australian Astronomical Observatory, used Keck telescopes on Mauna Kea to find the planet.

"We're catching this object at the perfect time. We see this young star, it has a disc around it that planets are probably forming out of and we see something right in the middle of a gap in the disc," Kraus said in a telephone interview.

Kraus presented the discovery Wednesday at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. Kraus and Ireland's research paper on the discovery is due to appear in The Astrophysical Journal.

Observing planets while they're forming can help scientists answer questions like whether planets form early in the life of a star or later, and whether they form relatively close to stars or farther away.

Planets can change orbits after forming, so it's difficult to answer such questions by studying older planets.

"These very basic questions of when and where are best answered when you can actually see the planet forming, as the process is happening right now," Kraus said.

Other planets may also be forming around the same star. Kraus said he'll continue to observe the star and hopefully will see other planets if there are in fact more.

Scientists hadn't been able to see such young planets before because the bright light of the stars they're orbiting outshines them.

Kraus and Ireland used two techniques to overcome this obstacle.

One method, which is also used by other astronomers, was to change the shape of their mirror to remove light distortions created by the Earth's atmosphere.

The other, unique method they used was to put masks over most of the telescope mirror. The combination of these two techniques allowed the astronomers to obtain high-resolution images that let them see the faint planet next to the bright star.

The astronomers found the planet while surveying 150 young dusty stars. This led to a more concentrated study of a dozen stars.

The star LkCa 15 — the planet is named after its star — was the team's second target. They immediately knew they were seeing something new, so they gathered more data on the star a year later.

http://news.yahoo.com/hawaii-astrono...230958310.html

hopefully now people will wake up and realize god dosent exist
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Why would this possibly make anybody think God doesn't exist?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
Why would this possibly make anybody think God doesn't exist?
Something else could have been responsible for creating that planet, possibly not anything to do with god.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
Space Cop
The Dandy

It's not going to change people's minds one way or the other.
Many, many people believe God/a god used natural means of creation.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Wow and here I thought Tazz had changed..... Even thinking that people need to "wake up and realize there is no God" is a pretty ignorant statement.

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
It's not going to change people's minds one way or the other.
Many, many people believe God/a god used natural means of creation.
thats why i say i think the term "" god"" is more of a natural event.

it's not everyday a scientist or astronemer says hey everyone i actually got to see a planet form.

we still have a lot to learn about space because we dont know everything about it oviously.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
Your level of tolerance and acceptance is astounding.
Caleb Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

How do you know that "god" didnt begin the process 100,000 years ago that would eventually lead to this planet.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
HONOLULU (AP) Astronomers have captured the first direct image of a planet being born.

Adam Kraus, of the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy, said the planet is being formed out of dust and gas circling a 2-milion-year-old star about 450 light years from Earth.

The planet itself, based on scientific models of how planets form, is estimated to have started taking shape about 50,000 to 100,000 years ago.

Called LkCa 15 b, it's the youngest planet ever observed. The previous record holder was about five times older.

Kraus and his colleague, Michael Ireland from Macquarie University and the Australian Astronomical Observatory, used Keck telescopes on Mauna Kea to find the planet.

"We're catching this object at the perfect time. We see this young star, it has a disc around it that planets are probably forming out of and we see something right in the middle of a gap in the disc," Kraus said in a telephone interview.

Kraus presented the discovery Wednesday at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland. Kraus and Ireland's research paper on the discovery is due to appear in The Astrophysical Journal.

Observing planets while they're forming can help scientists answer questions like whether planets form early in the life of a star or later, and whether they form relatively close to stars or farther away.

Planets can change orbits after forming, so it's difficult to answer such questions by studying older planets.

"These very basic questions of when and where are best answered when you can actually see the planet forming, as the process is happening right now," Kraus said.

Other planets may also be forming around the same star. Kraus said he'll continue to observe the star and hopefully will see other planets if there are in fact more.

Scientists hadn't been able to see such young planets before because the bright light of the stars they're orbiting outshines them.

Kraus and Ireland used two techniques to overcome this obstacle.

One method, which is also used by other astronomers, was to change the shape of their mirror to remove light distortions created by the Earth's atmosphere.

The other, unique method they used was to put masks over most of the telescope mirror. The combination of these two techniques allowed the astronomers to obtain high-resolution images that let them see the faint planet next to the bright star.

The astronomers found the planet while surveying 150 young dusty stars. This led to a more concentrated study of a dozen stars.

The star LkCa 15 the planet is named after its star was the team's second target. They immediately knew they were seeing something new, so they gathered more data on the star a year later.

http://news.yahoo.com/hawaii-astrono...230958310.html

Really dude???? Cause this is obviously irrefutable proof of that.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
How do you know that "god" didnt begin the process 100,000 years ago that would eventually lead to this planet.
your suggesting that a living god just left some form of timer saying ok when the time expires create a new planet?

come on man what world are you living in?

this is just my opinion but i think the more we continue to look above at the stars and space i think we will discover how we were created.

im not saying its a man with a white beard doing miracles but theres something out there that all humans from the past until now that have been searching.

the question is what is it.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

You are saying the article proves that there is no good. Please show me where it says that. It is an article about a man seeinf a plante form. Nothing more nothing less. Respect it for the scienftific find that it is and not an agenda to prove or disprove god.

What world am I living in?? It's called Earth. Somewhere you seem to be seriously detached from.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Quote:
your suggesting that a living god just left some form of timer saying ok when the time expires create a new planet?

come on man what world are you living in?

this is just my opinion but i think the more we continue to look above at the stars and space i think we will discover how we were created.

im not saying its a man with a white beard doing miracles but theres something out there that all humans from the past until now that have been searching.

the question is what is it.
No what Im saying is that if there is a god and "intelligent design" does exist then everything that is formed is as a result of things that "god" put into place and laid the framework for it.

Also if the planet started forming so long ago then the guy didnt really see shit forming since it takes so long to happen.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
No what Im saying is that if there is a god and "intelligent design" does exist then everything that is formed is as a result of things that "god" put into place and laid the framework for it.

Also if the planet started forming so long ago then the guy didnt really see shit forming since it takes so long to happen.
or maybe his science is wrong.

lets be real here we may never know how old are universe and planets is and we only touched a small portion of it when it comes to satelites and telescopes.

you know me well enough that im a firm believer in science but i also have no problem that some if not alot of science can be just guesses without some form of actuall proof.

im not saying i know all because i dont but not everyone knows everything wether they have a great i.q or not.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

i.q. has nothing to do with any of it.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
i.q. has nothing to do with any of it.
Who said it did?
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

tazz brought it up, implying that people with a larger i.q. know more even if they dont know "everything".
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #17
CYLON (13)
Alpha-Lantern

Cool article.

Haveta say this:

If God doesn't exist...I'm kickin' all of yer asses.
"Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
*Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*
CYLON (13) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Quote:
tazz brought it up, implying that people with a larger i.q. know more even if they dont know "everything".
Flash Fact, smart people usually are more gullible than those with lower IQs.
Most smart folks think they're too smart too be fooled.
It also has to do with smart people still clinging to ideas they had been told well before they developed into a smart person.
The whole "Easier to believe a lie, than abandon it for the truth" thing.

Last edited by Caleb Lancaster; 10-20-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Flash Fact just sounds better
Caleb Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
im not saying i know all because i dont but not everyone knows everything wether they have a great i.q or not.
Is this you claiming a high IQ?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #20
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lancaster View Post
Flash Fact, smart people usually are more gullible than those with lower IQs.
Most smart folks think they're too smart too be fooled.
To be fair, I think a lot of not too smart folks ALSO think they are too smart to be fooled. In fact, that perception has more to do with ego than actual intelligence, I'd wager (though obviously things like pride in one's education, or professional status, or even IQ scores, can lead to inflated egos). There is a competing "fact" that would counterpoint yours, the idea that the more one knows, the more they realize they DON'T know. I really don't know which is truer. I wonder if any studies have been done...

I'm not sure how one measures relative gullibility accurately, anyway. I mean, if you correlated IQ scores to something like lottery ticket sales, or (even better) falling for silly e-mail scams, I wouldn't be surprised if the results skewed toward lower IQs buying into them more often, but that's not a straight gullibility test, since, if there was ANY correspondence of IQ to median income (which there apparently is, even if it is not linear), that could skew things simply because the well off would be less motivated to look for the easy buck.

It is an interesting question.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-21-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote