The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #26
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

But Lucas knows he's not a very good director and was still angry about the colorization of Stooges when it was released on DVD EVEN THOUGH they also put the black and white version on there. It's pretty hypocritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #27
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

Lucas is a marketer.

He doesnt need to be a good director.

I could shit in a box and put a lightsaber picture on it and it would sell and he knows that.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #28
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom View Post
Actually, I would like to re-phrase my response to Kuhan because it came of incredibly cunty, and that was definitely not the intention.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that we have choices. You can like or dislike or feel neither about anything in the world. Star Wars in general has been such a focal point in my life- from when I was 2 right on to now (36) that I tend to see it grow as I grow; moving in different directions, sometimes not always the right way, and sometimes it goes "Wow!" in direction, and everyone has a choice about how they feel on that.

I understand what Kuhan is saying from a "George, this is what you said before" thing, however, I tend to view the directors of ESB an ROTJ as more...."figure heads" directors. At the end of the day, it's still Lucas' property and his vision and they more or less swayed the frame to the current of the story. Don't get me wrong- ESB was fucking brilliant and Kirshner's direction of the story is a milestone in cinema; ROTJ not so much but satisfying, but it's got Lucas written all over it.

Ironic, but to boil things down, everyone has "a certain point of view".
i agree with everything you just said. nowadays there are people who believe if you dont buy every version of the star wars films ( or read every batman book) your not a true fan.

im sorry but who in the blue hell are they to say if im a fan of something or not?

im happy with the 2004 dvd original trilogy and just because i dont buy the new updated nooooooooooooooo darh vader version dosent make me less of a fan if anything i made a statement by not buying it because those changes really bug me alot.

thats like saying have the guy who did silence of the lambs just throw unwanted scenes or diolauge changes into a allready classic film.

and since im a fan of that film dosent mean ill be the all new scenes scam bullshit.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #29
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...I tend to view the directors of ESB an ROTJ as more...."figure heads" directors. At the end of the day, it's still Lucas' property ...
Lucas has said himself that he viewed it kind of like a TV show where there's one guy (him) who's responsible for everything but others come in to direct certain episodes.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #30
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Quote:
however, I tend to view the directors of ESB an ROTJ as more...."figure heads" directors. At the end of the day, it's still Lucas' property and his vision and they more or less swayed the frame to the current of the story.
No.

Incorrect.

Wrong.

You get nothing.

No points, no consolation prize.

Go home.

Lucas is a liar, who likes to talk about how creative he is, which is bullshit. Any originality from Star Wars is thanks to people like Gary Kurtz, or the actors. What he did, was make up names like 'Darth Vader' which is just a few letters off and away from Dark Invader. And that's like his creative peak.
From story to characters, it's a science fiction fairy tale.
What makes Star Wars what it is, is the cinematic history behind it. It's the technical, the special effects, maybe even the writing. All of which, have nothing to do with Lucas.
He may have directed the first film, and he had promise with that. Hell, THX 1138 is a okay film, and so is American Graffiti.
But his involvement of what makes Star Wars as good as it was, was nil.
It was the lived in atmosphere. It was the charm of the actors. It was the throw back style.
If Lucas had things his way, with his most primitive designs, it would have been a vastly different film.

Lucas is a piss poor writer, director, and designer, and a hack who steals credit from truly deserving people. And I would rather hear how much Daredevil is a vision of Frank Miller's, than hear how that hack made Star Wars what it is.
Caleb Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #31
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's funny. Even with all the complaining of the tweaks Lucas does, I have sitting on my Star Wars shelf, unaltered, theatrical cuts of the entire original trilogy...on DVD! Gasp! It's like he already put them out...because he DID!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #32
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
It's funny. Even with all the complaining of the tweaks Lucas does, I have sitting on my Star Wars shelf, unaltered, theatrical cuts of the entire original trilogy...on DVD! Gasp! It's like he already put them out...because he DID!
Granted, they were bare bones, non-anamorphic widescreen versions, that were reportedly poor transfers (you would be able to evaluate that better than I, as I don't own them), but at least he threw the fans a bone, right?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #33
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Well.
There's always bootleg.
Because Lucas ain't giving the money to Gary Kurtz, and for all I care, Lucas's kids can have Blue Box Mac & Cheese.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Granted, they were bare bones, non-anamorphic widescreen versions, that were reportedly poor transfers (you would be able to evaluate that better than I, as I don't own them), but at least he threw the fans a bone, right?
Oh they weren't cleaned up at ALL. Scratches and everything. Shitty sound...it felt like watching them at the drive in back in the day. It was almost like he did it under protest and said, "you want unaltered? Enjoy this bitches!" and threw them on dvd. I don't mind because I wanted them for the sake of history. Even the original crawl in on the '77 version with no episode IV distinction.

And yes, they are bare bones; just the films. I'm sure they'll end up on bluray at some point, just like he did them on vhs and dvd.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
It was 25 years ago. A man can change his mind. Let it go already, everytime someone brings up star wars someone has to mention that damn testimony.

Since he owns the brand he can do whatever the fuck he wants with it and we can't do shit about it.
No kidding.

Either watch it or don't. But calling Lucas an a-hole, while in another thread praising Steve Jobs for being such a great guy seems a little hypocritical.

But that's just me.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #36
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I don't know why people get up in arms about this. Just don't buy it. Simple as that.

You've got to figure that no matter how many rings they add to an explosion or Stormtroopers they add to a scene, people are going to eventually get fed up and stop buying.

I have the original DVD set and I'm happy with it. Until Lucas makes something new and original, I'm done with Star Wars.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #37
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I thought we as Americans had the right to change our minds? I own the original trilogy on Blu Ray and I love it.

If ya really don't want it, don't buy it.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
It was 25 years ago. A man can change his mind. Let it go already, everytime someone brings up star wars someone has to mention that damn testimony.
I'd be curious to know if he REALLY changed his mind, or if he just "changed his mind" as it applies to himself. Does he still feel the same way about people messing with OTHER films, and simply gives himself a pass because, "Well, THAT'S different!"?

I don't know the answer to that. I think I'd respect him a bit more if he truly changed his views on the matter across the board, even if I didn't agree with him. But if he still thinks colorizing old films, or editing the work of dead directors without their consent, is wrong, but simply has a big blind spot for his own manipulations, then I'm a lot more inclined to lose all respect for the man.

Of course, as I said, I don't know which is true, and I don't forsee being able to reliably determine which is true, either.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #39
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Old 10-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #40
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lancaster View Post
No.

Incorrect.

Wrong.

You get nothing.

No points, no consolation prize.

Go home.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #41
CYLON (13)
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Lucas is a liar, who likes to talk about how creative he is, which is bullshit. Any originality from Star Wars is thanks to people like Gary Kurtz, or the actors. What he did, was make up names like 'Darth Vader' which is just a few letters off and away from Dark Invader. And that's like his creative peak.

Quote:
From story to characters, it's a science fiction fairy tale.
Yeah, that's why it's great. D U H !

Quote:
What makes Star Wars what it is, is the cinematic history behind it. It's the technical, the special effects, maybe even the writing. All of which, have nothing to do with Lucas.
He may not have written every single word, but he did come up with the outline. He did raise the funds. Without him, we'd have none of the glories of the Empire! Uh, nevermind.

Quote:
Oh they weren't cleaned up at ALL. Scratches and everything. Shitty sound...it felt like watching them at the drive in back in the day.
That sounds cool, I'd still want the BR's though.

Quote:
It was almost like he did it under protest and said, "you want unaltered? Enjoy this bitches!" and threw them on dvd.
"Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
*Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*
CYLON (13) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #42
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If ya really don't want it, don't buy it.
I have no plans to buy it.

The blu-ray and the special editions aren't what boil my blood.
I don't care what he does to the films now. What they are after the first print, mean nothing to me.

What I care about, is that first print.
That first print doesn't represent my childhood, or something like that.
As a kid, I like Star Wars well enough, but I was never crazy about it.
What the first print means to me, is cinema history.
This may not be something everyone here gets, but Star Wars isn't appealing to me, or to film historians because of the Science Fiction element. It's all about the cultural, historic, and aesthetic value within those films.
And like all films that hold up to that level, such as the films of the Criterion Collection, or of the National Film Registry, they deserve day-light, and deserve it in widescreen.
I don't care about blu-ray quality. I don't even care about High Definition restorations.
What matters to me about Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, is the films being preserved for future generations. And right now, it's not preserved if it's only available in VHS. That's not even for the current generation.

That's my argument. That's my fervent wish.
One I know isn't heard or even contemplated by Lucasfilm.
It's a business.
The people of the Criterion Collection, and of the National Film Registry, do what they do out of love, and the films chosen for those prestigious names, are usually films by film makers who love, and want to continue the tradition of film.

As far as Lucas goes. He's made Star Wars, and Indiana Jones, and continues to edit one of those, and add to it.
A good director knows what needs to be changed, a better one knows when to move on.

This is about film history. George Lucas didn't rape my childhood, or disappoint my adulthood. George Lucas only showed me the harsh reality of the film industry, and why it is even called an industry. A fairy tale from a galaxy afar, turned so dark, and bitter.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #43
CYLON (13)
Alpha-Lantern

Dude, just buy the bootleg...
"Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
*Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*
CYLON (13) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #44
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
Either watch it or don't. But calling Lucas an a-hole, while in another thread praising Steve Jobs for being such a great guy seems a little hypocritical.
Quote:
1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.
Nope.

(Also, never said he was a great guy. Just a great businessguy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote