The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

View Poll Results: Rate The Green Lantern #8
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 2 50.00%
**** 2 50.00%
***** 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default The Green Lantern #8 *Preview/Spoilers*

The Green Lantern #8 Preview + Interview
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Liam Sharp

Old 06-06-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Truly a great issue, I about laughed out loud at a few panels.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 AM   #3
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Of course Morrison would be the one to bring back "Xeen Arrow." Fun issue, but I was honestly hoping for a new perspective on their relationship rather than something that seemed like it could have just been a missing issue from the old days. I mean, Morrison's take on Hal makes it a little new, and I don't recall Ollie being so judgemental of low-level criminals, what with his bleeding heart.

The whole "shooting an arrow to the moon" thing was kinda brilliantly comic-booky though.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

As much as the homage was fun, I was actually a bit disappointed. The rest of this Morrison run has been more interesting anyway, as this issue seemed to be tripping over more easter eggs than telling a story. In an era where comics and stories take themselves too serious, I should have enjoyed it more. Maybe the second and third time through will improve my initial take.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

So the Sinestro at the end is almost certainly not the main universe's Sinestro.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 AM   #6
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
So the Sinestro at the end is almost certainly not the main universe's Sinestro.
I'm starting to wonder if the whole Morrison Season 1 is its own place and time. Not quite an Elseworlds but an echo of things that occurred to Hal along the way from the Silver Age, to Bronze to now.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

No matter how heavy it was on Easter eggs, I thought Sharp did an amazing job in doing Adams style for that bit where the guy views Hal and Ollie while tripping. It was pretty impressive that the nod was instantly recognizable while still fitting Sharp's style.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
Lundonj

No argument from me regarding the quality of the art. I've become a big Liam Sharpe fan in this run.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I finally got to read #8 today. I thought it was a super fun read, with the style of art and even panel layouts being a straight up Adam's homage. Heck, the story was written as something Denny O'Neal would have come up with in his prime. Good times man.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #10
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
I'm starting to wonder if the whole Morrison Season 1 is its own place and time. Not quite an Elseworlds but an echo of things that occurred to Hal along the way from the Silver Age, to Bronze to now.
Yea, while this book is in continuity it's pretty clear that Morrison is ignoring what's happening in the larger DCU. Which is probably for the best as there's already too many competing voices there between Snyder, Bendis and King.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #11
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

While I appreciated the "Green Lantern and Green Arrow" teamup reminiscent of the 80s, I found the "drug" plot slightly confusing and multiplex, and the "Xeen" inclusion to be totally confusing.

If we're going to have transdimensional crossovers, they need to be explained a bit more, especially if the main story is alien drug cartels. I mean, the only item the planetary assassin on the Moon was missing was the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator from Marvin the Martian. (Potential cameo?)
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
While I appreciated the "Green Lantern and Green Arrow" teamup reminiscent of the 80s, I found the "drug" plot slightly confusing and multiplex, and the "Xeen" inclusion to be totally confusing...
Agreed. It felt like there were several missing pages that explained exactly what the evil plan was.