The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5

Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #26
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Van Sciver View Post
No comment!!!
HA! Damn it, that could mean everything or nothing at all. I hate you!

Looking forward to all your future projects. GL and non GL related.

EVS + Geoff Johns = GENIUS.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
BTomaselli
Corps Honor Guard

Mr. Sciver - WELCOME!!

I had the honor of hanging out and talking with you and Moose at Comic-Con last year (picked up some awesome prints of Kyle-lax and Hal). What prints will you be offering this year since at Comic-Con 08?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Ethan, good to have you here. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work on GL, and look forward to seeing more of it. (I will say that I'm glad they have found a way to utilize you for special event stuff, since it seemed like your detailed style wasn't really conducive to a monthly book schedule. Not a criticism of you, as I would never want an artist to rush their art, just an observation. Plus adding your art to specials and stuff makes them even more special, IMHO.)

I did have a question, though. I'm not a real fan of gore, and felt that the scene with the eyeball bouncing off the girl's hand, and the partially-eaten guy stuffed in the Shark's mouth was too much for my personal taste, especially with your level of detail. Who makes the decision to go that grotesque route for an image? Is it the artist or the writer?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Can you confirm at least some level of involvement in Blackest Night or its family of titles/spinoffs/what-have-you at this point? Perhaps a lead-in special similar to the "Sinestro Corps War Special"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:32 PM   #30
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Thanks! I would be working on Green Lantern forever if it weren't for the fact that the ONE PROJECT that could possibly tear me away was finally offered to me. And it's the project that I and many other creators have salivated over ever since I started working for DC Comics 10+ years ago, but knew could never happen. I MUST do it.

Green Lantern is something I hope I'll always be able to return to, especially while Geoff is writing it. I have to make my mark on this other thing though. You'll understand soon enough.
I seriously hope this is the Plastic Man idea you've been trying to push at DC! I was really hoping you'd go and reboot Aquaman with somebody soon, the cover you did around issue 7 or 8 of the Water Bearer was AWESOME!

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #31
GUYCORPS
Green Lantern

Well this is a nice surprise!
Welcome to the GLC Ethan, glad to have you aboard.

Like so many others, i am a huge fan of your work, especially on GL.
The mythology yourself and Geoff (with the added help of Peter, Dave, Carlos, Ivan and Patrick) have created and expanded upon is quite phenomenal. Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps are by far 2 of DC's best reads and visuals.

I really enjoy the creatures you've created and i am looking forward to more of them.

Good luck with your new project!

Thanks to you and Geoff for making GUY GARDNER a Green Lantern again.

Last edited by GUYCORPS; 05-14-2008 at 06:50 PM.
GUYCORPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #32
Mr.Itty

Quote:
Hi, Ethan here. I thought I should join this glorious forum and be among you, the people that I love.
WOO-HOO!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #33
Martley of 2814

Are we sure this is really Ethan? First Moose, then Geoff and now Ethan....this place is bloody great.

I have a question!
What's up with Kilowog always changing his GL costume in different issues of yours? One issue he's wearing the regular, old GL suit, the next issue he's got an oversized John suit, the next issue he's got more of the newest Hal suit.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #34
5-ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martley of 2814 View Post
Are we sure this is really Ethan? First Moose, then Geoff and now Ethan....this place is bloody great.
Dont forget Peter T.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #35
conn

Holy cow! It's great that you are here!
I was one of the thousands that met you saturday at the NYCC. While waiting Geoff came back and was bombarded. I got you, Ivan and Geoff to personally sign my name on the comics, 'cause they aren't going anywhere. As i told Geoff and you:Thank you again for giving us GL fans such great storytelling and art!
And I cant wait to hear what your super-secret project is.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #36
HonorGuardLantern423
Weaponer of Qward

Welcome to the boards Ethan, in my opinion youre the greatest artist in comics today. Thank you so much for making GL look the best he has in a long time. I cant think of any questions, just wanted to compliment your greatness.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #37
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Are we sure this is really Ethan?
Yes, we are sure.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #38
Fearless
Agent Orange

Can't have Geoff without Ethan! Welcome aboard! Your art RULES!
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #39
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

ethan welcome to this part of the sector, just re-met ya at the NYC CON a few weeks ago.

tell shari I say hi.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:28 AM   #40
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
If I didn't know better, I might think you were stalking me, from GL forum to GL forum...

-Don (really does know better)
I thought geoff and him were coming after me
Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #41
GLJIMT

Well finally EVS!

Welcome to the Corps, Ethan!

My favorite artists go 1. YOU 2. Reis 3. The guy that was doing BB that starts with an A and goes on forever 4. I don't know any others as I am more into the writing.

But, man, is it nice to have you here!

And yes we would all like to know if you will be involved with Blackest Night. As I'm sure most other members have, I had your famous 3-way Hal poster framed and on my wall!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 AM   #42
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamalkan View Post
As you're an insider: are there plans for anything besides the GL and GLC monthlies with GL stuff? Like mini's, one shots (besides Rage of the Red Lanterns) or even another monthly?
Yes, yes and maybe.
Ethan Van Sciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 AM   #43
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTomaselli View Post
Mr. Sciver - WELCOME!!

I had the honor of hanging out and talking with you and Moose at Comic-Con last year (picked up some awesome prints of Kyle-lax and Hal). What prints will you be offering this year since at Comic-Con 08?
Moose creates and sells the prints. I will have a new sketchbook this year for Comicon, and it'll contain lots of new GL and Sinestro related sketches and material.

EVS
Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 AM   #44
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Ethan, good to have you here. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work on GL, and look forward to seeing more of it. (I will say that I'm glad they have found a way to utilize you for special event stuff, since it seemed like your detailed style wasn't really conducive to a monthly book schedule. Not a criticism of you, as I would never want an artist to rush their art, just an observation. Plus adding your art to specials and stuff makes them even more special, IMHO.)

I did have a question, though. I'm not a real fan of gore, and felt that the scene with the eyeball bouncing off the girl's hand, and the partially-eaten guy stuffed in the Shark's mouth was too much for my personal taste, especially with your level of detail. Who makes the decision to go that grotesque route for an image? Is it the artist or the writer?
I absolve Geoff of that entirely. Geoff asked for blood drops on her shoulder, and blood in the Shark's mouth. I thought some extremely excessive gore would be comical, or at least interesting, so I added the eyeball and the surfer's remains. I can see why it would be thought of as going too far, but what's too far when there's a giant shark man off of Coast City eating people? I saw JAWS, afterall. I still think it's a great scene, and people were talking about it the next day, which is about as much as you can ask for as a creative person.

By the way, did you know that there IS a species of shark called the Green Lanternshark? Look it up!

Ethan
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #45
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Can you confirm at least some level of involvement in Blackest Night or its family of titles/spinoffs/what-have-you at this point? Perhaps a lead-in special similar to the "Sinestro Corps War Special"?
I can confirm SOME level of involvement. Some covers. And I helped create an awful lot of it too. All of the costumes, the symbols, some of the characters...it's got my fingerprints all over it. But will I draw any of the interiors? Probably not this time. It's Ivan's baby.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:57 AM   #46
Rayner90

Quote:
The green lanternshark, Etmopterus virens, is a shark of the family Dalatiidae found in the western central Atlantic from Texas to Florida and the northern Gulf of Mexico, and Nicaragua and Suriname between latitudes 30 N and 9 N, at depths of between 100 and 1,000 m. Its length is up to 26 cm.

The green lanternshark is a dwarf slender lanternshark with a long narrow tail. The gill openings are very short. The upper teeth generally have less than three pairs of cusplets. The trunk has short stout hooked denticles on the side, and these also cover the snout.

They may school and communally attack and eat quite large prey, for example squid.

Coloration is dark brown or grey-brown, with an elongated broad black mark above and behind the pelvic fins and other marks at the tail base and along the axis. The underside is black.

Reproduction is presumed to be ovoviviparous.
Holy crap, he's right
Old 05-15-2008, 03:04 AM   #47
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:

I have a question!
What's up with Kilowog always changing his GL costume in different issues of yours? One issue he's wearing the regular, old GL suit, the next issue he's got an oversized John suit, the next issue he's got more of the newest Hal suit.
I don't know. Okay, I do know. When I first drew Kilowog in GL REBIRTH #2, Geoff and I had sort of pictured him as a big, bovine animal. And I thought it would be great to see some really thick musculature, especially around his back...like a bull. Now, I draw GL costumes with the black areas solid black, and I don't want to make any exceptions there. He needed as much green, therefore, as possible, so I could show more knotty muscles. He could look lumpier and less humanoid. So I drew him in the ORIGINAL GL suit, complete with the green crotch area.

And then the toy came out. I hate that toy...it doesn't look anything like Kilowog to me, and I've been campaigning for a new one for a long time. But I felt at the time that the product that DC Direct puts out should be an accurate representation of what's in the comics, which means that sometimes we have to work backwards. The rings that I drew, for example, were all modeled after the ones DCD released with those GL busts a few years back. That way, if you like the comic, you can go buy the rings or the toys, and they MATCH. Very important.

So when Kilowog showed up in GL #4, I sort of gave in and drew him in the John Stewart cut of the uniform that the DC Direct toy was wearing. It didn't work very well, in my opinion. So back he went for Sinestro Corps.

Long answer, but hopefully that explains it for you!

EVS
Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #48
Bob Sachs
Voice of Guy Gardner

Hi ... First of all, WELCOME to the best GL forum on the internet ... YOU rock !!!

I only have one question for ya ... Has the internet changed the way artists, colorists, and writers put comics together ??? If so, please explain how ...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 AM   #49
Ethan Van Sciver
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
ethan welcome to this part of the sector, just re-met ya at the NYC CON a few weeks ago.

tell shari I say hi.
My wife's name is Sharis. Rhymes with Paris. And she says hi back!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I remember Kilowog's uniform varying not just in your books, too. I seem to remember Kilowog returning to the classic GL leotard in the "Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Ion" special also.

Do you have any opinion or idea on how the whole "the green areas of a GL suit are hot" works? It was in the Manhunter arc, and now it's coming up again in Secret Origin... a lot of folks are confused by it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote