The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 12-14-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Question Should DC Go Back?

You're probably gonna think this is a thread discussing the return of the pre-New52 universe. Not exactly. Marvel is currently killing the market and watering it down with every event they can rehash. WTF is DC doing?

This is where the 'Go Back' in the thread title comes in. Does anyone else think DC should go back and revisit the bigger storylines in a New52 setting? We'd finally have an idea of how major universe turning points played out, or we'd see them play out in the present day. I'm talking some stuff mentioned in the New52 as having still happened as well as others like the Death of Superman, Knightfall, Emerald Twilight, Zero Hour, DC 1 Million, the War of Light, Blackest Night, Chain Lightning, JLA/JSA, JLA vs Titans, Longbow Hunters, Kingdom Come, Identity Crisis, etc...

^^^^ That list of stories being retold is a lot more appealing to me than the majority of what Marvel's cranking out with their event waves. How could they be different now? What changes could be made... and could something like this finally 'fix' the New52 universe and give us larger parts of the missing story for dozens of characters?

Parallax was right...

"I can fix everything..."

See what I did there? LOL DC can revisit Kingdom Come and advertise it as an older DCU style Batman v Superman, ID Crisis could be told without raping Sue Dibney, DC 1 Million by Grant Morrison again would be EPIC in the New 52 setting, Chain Lightning could give us a few more familiar Flash faces [looking at John Fox aka Flash 1 Million], etc.

I figure DC NOT retelling these stories up until now was a Trump Card. Marvel did it first this time rehashing tons of stories at once, DC can see where they succeeded and failed and one up them and even keep their current universe intact. Just let Parallax pull the trigger!

~M~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

As long as Marvel publishes Star Wars, they will win market share by a huge margin. Bleeding Cool ran an article that examined market share. They removed Star Wars from the equation over the last few months, doing so revealed that DC and Marvel are neck and neck. Star Wars fans will buy anything with that name on it regardless of publisher.

But to answer your question, i'd rather DC tell new stories instead of rehashing like Marvel.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I know Star Wars will tip the scale for the next few years, but IMHO most of the ANAD Marvel stuff is equally as bad as some of crap DC's producing and I can believe they're neck and neck again. Of the three X books going into Apocalypse War [why does that sound familiar?] the only one that looks half appealing is Uncanny with Magneto and the villains. That's so wrong on so many levels. How many Spider-Books are there?

If this New52 universe continues you don't think they need to explore the events already being established as in-continuity? Even in a few much shorter mini series? Imagine buying a 6 issue Blackest Night series that reworks a lot of characters out and explores other avenues? Or the Death of Superman which would've played out a lot differently now seeing as the origins of Superboy, Cyborg Superman, and Steel are all much different?

Actually touching on the stuff that's supposed to have happened could fix a lot of problems with the new universe. In the 90's when comics were selling like crazy, one of the biggest things DC had going for them was the Death of Superman. How long has it been since a Superman title's been consistently in the top 10? DC should capitalize on characters appearing in films like Marvel is doing, with Doomsday showing up in B v S retelling Death of Superman to show his new origin in the New52 is win/win. And similar to the B v S film, Superman won't have any clones or half machines running around this time.

It might not work with every event, but at least a few of them could be entertaining enough to get people into this new DCU again. Out of randomness, instead of reworking Robin III with Tim Drake, we could see Red Robin Year One since most of his history is still unexplored.

~M~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Whatever sells the most comics is the likeliest thing to happen. So yes, I imagine they will reimagine the biggest events.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I am currently on the razor's edge of quitting comics and walking away from the hobby altogether. If DC started retelling crossover event stories that for the most part were terrible the FIRST time? I'd be all done.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #6
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -M- View Post
Imagine buying a 6 issue Blackest Night series that reworks a lot of characters out and explores other avenues?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I am currently on the razor's edge of quitting comics and walking away from the hobby altogether. If DC started retelling crossover event stories that for the most part were terrible the FIRST time? I'd be all done.
so, yur finally up to where I am huh? :/

*makes him a spot at the "Fucking Comics, man...." -bar*

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

But imagine FINAL CRISIS 2!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
But imagine FINAL CRISIS 2!!!!!!!
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Tazer

Yo.

^ THIS.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

so, yur finally up to where I am huh? :/

*makes him a spot at the "Fucking Comics, man...." -bar*

Tazer
Got room for a third at that bar? I wouldn't say I'm quite on the razors edge, but not far away.

And sorry Kid, I can't get behind this. I'd rather DC went back to the old universe and did some catch up to make up for what's happened in the Nu52 to reestablish that Universe, then move forward from there with history intact.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Well, I though Convergence was going to be DC's attempt to rehash big events. I would have preferred that instead of the crappy story line that it was.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
Got room for a third at that bar? I wouldn't say I'm quite on the razors edge, but not far away.
*installs a new stool @ the bar for Mav, then slides down a cherry-lime rickey...*

Tazer

Quote: