No announcement yet.

Van Sciver departing Edge of Oblivion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, not to bring sunshine on you guys' rain parade, but the positive side of this is that ESV is going to have a formative hand the GLC rebirth.

Comment

All the GL books need now is Joey Cavileiri to come in to wrap them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        Sounds like "Cry for Justice" all over again. Starts out as one thing, big media push, then something changes because of the weather or a ouija board, and Dan Didio and company change everything and pull artists and creative talent off a thing to divert to other things as a result. Or "Brightest Day" representing the rebirth of the DC line and new direction... and arguably more or less succeeding in spite of Johns, but then just getting thrown away anything because Didio finally got his way on the Flashpoint reboot.

Still the same shit. No one's learned anything and these are the same people making the same mistakes and no one ever being held accountable or being replaced by true leaders.
        Nah, this mini is small potatoes compared to those books, there really wasn't a big media push.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
          Nah, this mini is small potatoes compared to those books, there really wasn't a big media push.
          Agreed. This is simply a series to move the GLC from point A where they are doing their best Lost in Space impression to point B, where they either get wiped out or somehow, return to the regular DCU.

Drama pending.

I like EVS art, but the fate of the GLC waits for no man.

-Don
          “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

All they need to do is get the GLC back by the end of the mini series. At this point nothing that happens in the story even matters from here to the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
              It means the awesome art is going away.

*sorry this is so late i forgot all about this topic *

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Well that certainly sucks but I will continue with the series. Despite the poor reviews from the board I generally like it. I'm really curious to see how it wraps up.
                http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
                  ...Despite the poor reviews from the board I generally like it. I'm really curious to see how it wraps up.
                  Me too (on both counts).

Comment

I lost interest after the first issue, unfortunately I subscribed so I just collect them to sell. At least Lost Army had that extra insight into John. Van Sciver with another example of an excellent artists whose talents were wasted on a meh story

Comment

So, unless there is some huge shifting of gears in the final issue, is it now safe to say that this series DID totally ignore any setup from Lost Army, aside from the bare fact of them being in the previous universe?

Comment

I only read a few issues of Lost Army; I don't think it's necessarily needed to understand this series. I believe the only setup that carried over is that the GLC is dispersed, lost, and they are in a different universe. Some aspects of that universe I am unclear of, like when they say it is before the one they are from, so I think Lost Army does help reign in the full scope of the story but you don't need it to understand this one.
                        http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Personally I think that is kind of obnoxious. I mean, they cancelled Lost Army, then floated this series as a "conclusion" of that storyline, but then left pretty much every aspect of that series hanging, never to be referred to again. I know this is just my personal preference, but I generally prefer for things to be resolved instead of ignored, even if I didn't like those things in the first place.

For instance, I'm not at all a fan of the "emotional reservoir" thing, that says that using the GL rings is killing the universe, but if, hypothetically, the writers wanted to dispense with it, I'd much prefer that they do a story resolving that issue (either fixing it somehow, or showing that Relic was wrong, and it was never an issue to begin with) than just ignoring it entirely and letting it fade out of neglect.

Comment

To me Edge of Oblivion is an irrelevant chapter in the Green Lantern Corps title. I guess DC just gave up on the latter after Van Jensen, the stories started going downhill almost immediately imo. Lost Army seemed a positive step forward, but the cancellation and subsequent production of EoO, with a plot I don't think hardly anyone would care to recite out loud (it's that forgettable) spelt the end. Perhaps they're just giving the title one more shot with Jordan at the helm in desperation. Though disappointed in the writing choice, I love the Corps very much and I'll probably give that a try.

EoO has been dead in the water for awhile in my eyes, Van Sciver's leaving is a non event in that sense. I wasn't reading anymore anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X