No announcement yet.

GREEN LANTERN: The Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If GL was a better done film (I dunna maybe twenty extra minute might make up for it), then it might have been successful, however on a related note I fear for the Batman franchise the minute Nolan leaves and WB tries to have control.

Comment

• It's totally agreeable and obvious if Green Lantern was a better done film it would have been successful.

And I would agree that Nolan raised the bar pretty high with his Batman flicks; however, it doesn't automatically mean future Batflicks will suck.
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Yes but WB might butcher them, when they think things are getting out of hand!

Comment

• Maybe this is just me. But I hope this one falure dose not ruin our chances of seeing other heroes on the big Screen from DC,because honestly I can't watch another Batman Superman movie I just can't. Cartoon,maybe but movies,I am so done with those 2. Because I have seen already. I feel like it is being forced down my throat.
          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

• Well this is WB, live with it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Castle View Post
              It doesnt matter how you try and spin it, in the end they blew it, and thats the bottom line because stone cold said so.

I agree with this, GL is not as popular as people would like to think, sure vol4 has been its most popular era, but its still light years behind Batman/Superman and a shitload of Marvel stuff.

Unless the comic is able to grow even further or maintain its SCW/BN levels of success I only see the franchise slowly leveling back out, most of the cool stuff is not even Green Lantern but other colours anyway.

With a failed movie under its belt, DC have a job on their hands to keep GL up there now.
              Maybe its just me, but I still stand behind the bad reviews and timing holding this film back. If everyone went looking to pick everything apart in every movie you see, you're gonna find something. I saw in GL, a movie that had a great human story coupled with sci fi adventure, and a strong base of information to build from. Im more interested now in GL then i ever was. IF the film could get that type of observation instead of comparing it to War and Peace or Gone with the Wind, then WB actually has a franchise that can give fans of this genre alot to look forward to.

This bugged me about GIJOE a few years ago. It got shit on before it even hit the theatres and mostly by diehards who expect the film to be a certain way. That's called being unrealistic. These type of films have to not only appease long time fans but also appeal to newer fans. But every time, there's a bitch session about something someone didn't "personally" like instead of looking at what the film did do and what it was supposed to do.

Sorry, this just pisses me off because, as a long time star wars fan, GL has the making of being very similar, with so much potential to add to the longevity of the character(s) all the while preserving it's history. Yet, again, let's crap on it and be left with such anticipatory films as Mr. Popper's Penguin or midnight in paris...YAY!

GL is a timeless story of finding inner strength, using your imagination, comorodity, etc..yet it gets lost in the drudge of critical bias. WB at least should finish the trilogy for those that did enjoy the movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by greendesk1 View Post
                Maybe its just me, but I still stand behind the bad reviews and timing holding this film back. If everyone went looking to pick everything apart in every movie you see, you're gonna find something. I saw in GL, a movie that had a great human story coupled with sci fi adventure, and a strong base of information to build from. Im more interested now in GL then i ever was. IF the film could get that type of observation instead of comparing it to War and Peace or Gone with the Wind, then WB actually has a franchise that can give fans of this genre alot to look forward to.

This bugged me about GIJOE a few years ago. It got shit on before it even hit the theatres and mostly by diehards who expect the film to be a certain way. That's called being unrealistic. These type of films have to not only appease long time fans but also appeal to newer fans. But every time, there's a bitch session about something someone didn't "personally" like instead of looking at what the film did do and what it was supposed to do.

Sorry, this just pisses me off because, as a long time star wars fan, GL has the making of being very similar, with so much potential to add to the longevity of the character(s) all the while preserving it's history. Yet, again, let's crap on it and be left with such anticipatory films as Mr. Popper's Penguin or midnight in paris...YAY!

GL is a timeless story of finding inner strength, using your imagination, comorodity, etc..yet it gets lost in the drudge of critical bias. WB at least should finish the trilogy for those that did enjoy the movie.
                Yeah, all the bad reviews killed this film, eventhough there wasn't an advanced screening for critics. And many of the bad reviews didn't occur until a few days before the release of the film. And look how all the bad reviews killed Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Damn critics killed a perfectly good movie. And I would agree, it's unfair to compare Green Lantern to War and Peace or Gone with the Wind. What are these critics thinking!? I mean, without that comparison Green Lantern is an epic!

Yeah, G.I. Joe sucked balls! Sure it opened with $54,713,046 (w/out 3D screenings, a little more than $1 million Green Lantern w/ 3D screenings) and has grossed about $302,469,017 World Wide and is getting a sequel. Critics and fanboy bashing really hurt the film at the box office. It totally bugs me!

And it pisses me off too. And I like Star Wars too! Crap on things!

Word! The Green Lantern movie demonstated a timeless story of finding inner strength, using your imagination, comorodity, etc. I mean, like the time Hal quit his training, or how the story was very imaginative and was nothing like Top Gun, or the comorodity when Hal asked the Guardians and Sinestro for help and they did. That was great show of brotherhood! Don't forget how of the theme of fear played to be point of redundacy with Hector Hammond, Paralllax and the scene between Sinestro, Hal and the Guardians. WB defiinitely needs to turned that into a Triology! I mean, it worked for Lord of the Rings. Green Lantern is Lord of the Rings and Star Wars combined! WB Recognize!
                Darth_Primus
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Darth_Primus; 07-08-2011, 06:38 PM.
                You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                  I fear for the Batman franchise the minute Nolan leaves and WB tries to have control.

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                  And I would agree that Nolan raised the bar pretty high with his Batman flicks; however, it doesn't automatically mean future Batflicks will suck.
                  No doubt the bar was raised, I dont even believe that Batman Rises will match DK, of course it will still be a big hit and even a very good movie, but DK has reached that cult status that not many films get to, it reminds me of the first Crow movie almost, I know that series went to hell (ha can you see the joke) but I dont think any film in that series, even if it was good would be as revered as the first.

The next batch of Batman movies, might fall into that trap, they might well be very good movies, but Im not expecting DK level status, that does not mean they will be crap films though.

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                  Maybe this is just me. But I hope this one falure dose not ruin our chances of seeing other heroes on the big Screen from DC,because honestly I can't watch another Batman Superman movie I just can't. Cartoon,maybe but movies,I am so done with those 2. Because I have seen already. I feel like it is being forced down my throat.

Who else could you put on the big screen though? WW? I know west will get hot when he reads this, but she cant even get a TV show going, or an going cartoon, so what hope for a movie? DC have dropped the ball so many times with her in the comic alone, the main thing people remember about her is the old tv show.

So after her who do you have? Flash? not popular enough, Im sure they could make a good flash movie, but to get the project off the ground, more than just geeks like us online would have to want and go see it.

I dont even mind more Batman and Superman films, Im still waiting for that Superman film to appear that will finally match or beat the first two movies and a good Batman film is always fun to watch.

Originally posted by greendesk1 View Post

TF2 and Spiderman 3 got ripped apart, they still made a shitload of money.

Er I think youre letting your fandom get the better of you here, GL was an average movie at best, Im not seeing the good story that you saw, you as a fan are probably filling in the blanks the movie left out, I already explained in another thread that I saw the movie with none GL comic fans, and they were confused by many things in the movie, me it did not confuse, because I knew the blanks, I dont believe it was a bad as the reviews said either, but Im realistic in seeing why it bombed.

What this film was meant to do was show that DC could make a movie without Batman or Superman, it failed.

It was also meant to push GL into that A list table, it failed there too.

Pleasing long time fans? hmm I dunno about that since this film is based off Vol4, besides that you cant just rely on people that read the comic.

Star Wars is a fantasy film set in space, theirs no earth or factual universe, yeah you could set a whole GL movie in space, but I bet you would alienate half your viewers with that.

Alot of the stuff youre saying does not even sound like youre talking about the movie, but the ethos of GL itself, again this comes across to me as you filling in the blanks for what you saw on the screen.

Of course if you enjoyed the movie that much, then thats cool, but you also have to look outside the box, realistically this movie was average imo.
                  Frank Castle
                  Alpha-Lantern
                  Last edited by Frank Castle; 07-08-2011, 07:57 PM.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                    Yeah, all the bad reviews killed this film, eventhough there wasn't an advanced screening for critics. And many of the bad reviews didn't occur until a few days before the release of the film. And look how all the bad reviews killed Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Damn critics killed a perfectly good movie. And I would agree, it's unfair to compare Green Lantern to War and Peace or Gone with the Wind. What are these critics thinking!? I mean, without that comparison Green Lantern is an epic!

Yeah, G.I. Joe sucked balls! Sure it opened with $54,713,046 (w/out 3D screenings, a little more than $1 million Green Lantern w/ 3D screenings) and has grossed about $302,469,017 World Wide and is getting a sequel. Critics and fanboy bashing really hurt the film at the box office. It totally bugs me!

Word! The Green Lantern movie demonstated a timeless story of finding inner strength, using your imagination, comorodity, etc. I mean, like the time Hal quit his training, or how the story was very imaginative and was nothing like Top Gun, or the comorodity when Hal asked the Guardians and Sinestro for help and they did. That was great show of brotherhood! Don't forget how of the theme of fear played to be point of redundacy with Hector Hammond, Paralllax and the scene between Sinestro, Hal and the Guardians. WB defiinitely needs to turned that into a Triology! I mean, it worked for Lord of the Rings. Green Lantern is Lord of the Rings and Star Wars combined! WB Recognize!

I bow down before you Darth Primus, my new Lord and Master.

Comment

No doubt the bar was raised, I dont even believe that Batman Rises will match DK, of course it will still be a big hit and even a very good movie, but DK has reached that cult status that not many films get to, it reminds me of the first Crow movie almost, I know that series went to hell (ha can you see the joke) but I dont think any film in that series, even if it was good would be as revered as the first.

The next batch of Batman movies, might fall into that trap, they might well be very good movies, but Im not expecting DK level status, that does not mean they will be crap films though.
                      It's not that they can make good movies. I'm a little worried about the studio that's going to produce them, specifically after the Dark Knight Rises.

Comment

• If Christopher Nolan ever bows out of the Batman movies, I nominate Spike Lee to replace him.

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post

Thanks for making my point.

Comment

• I nominated Ridley Scott to take over Thor and I'd recommend him to take over Batman.

+ YouTube Video
                            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

TF2 and Spiderman 3 got ripped apart, they still made a shitload of money.

Er I think youre letting your fandom get the better of you here, GL was an average movie at best, Im not seeing the good story that you saw, you as a fan are probably filling in the blanks the movie left out, I already explained in another thread that I saw the movie with none GL comic fans, and they were confused by many things in the movie, me it did not confuse, because I knew the blanks, I dont believe it was a bad as the reviews said either, but Im realistic in seeing why it bombed.

What this film was meant to do was show that DC could make a movie without Batman or Superman, it failed.

It was also meant to push GL into that A list table, it failed there too.

Pleasing long time fans? hmm I dunno about that since this film is based off Vol4, besides that you cant just rely on people that read the comic.

Star Wars is a fantasy film set in space, theirs no earth or factual universe, yeah you could set a whole GL movie in space, but I bet you would alienate half your viewers with that.

Alot of the stuff youre saying does not even sound like youre talking about the movie, but the ethos of GL itself, again this comes across to me as you filling in the blanks for what you saw on the screen.

Of course if you enjoyed the movie that much, then thats cool, but you also have to look outside the box, realistically this movie was average imo.

I suppose I just have a different view on things. Maybe I'll see it differently once I go in to see it again. But I thought it was a good movie! And everyone will have a different opinion, that's fine. It was a good movie that clearly identified a main character, his context, and a story. Im not seeing how this is bad...A to B to C. that's basic storytelling. If you like sci fi...you get that too. I followed the story just fine and actually understood GL better as a result of this movie. Never read many of the comics at all( 2-3 at the most). So this helped me understand. Some people didnt get it, some didnt like it..that's fine. You wanna see a shitty ass movie that made no sense, had poor acting, special effects, etc...rent the movie THE BOX. Absolutely horrid. I guess I cant see what people dislike about this movie that they're not nitpicking about. Every movie has its flaws, but as you said it wasn't as bad as critics claimed. Furthermore, it doesn;t help a franchise at all, when people like long time fans undercut the movie without trying to accentuate the positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greenlant78 View Post
                                Agreed. Transformers 3 has a 36% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and has already made over $400 million dollars world wide. WB dropped the ball on this project.

Maybe someday we'll get a good sequel, or a total reboot, but until then we are stuck with a very "lack luster" movie.

I just also wanted to point out that Money does not always mean the movie was good. It just means, people were interested enough in it to go see it. Furthermore, not making a lot of money does not mean it wasn't good. Weekly neilsen ratings are a prime example of this

Comment

Working...
                                X