Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retcon Question: How Did Sinestro Survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Zero Hour is still in continuity. I think the DCU went from Emerald Twilight directly to Final Night. Hal never tried to rewrite the timeline. Oa never exploded. Guy never had Vuldarian powers. John was never a Darkstar. Kyle never dated Donna or Jade.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
      I don't think Zero Hour is still in continuity. I think the DCU went from Emerald Twilight directly to Final Night. Hal never tried to rewrite the timeline. Oa never exploded. Guy never had Vuldarian powers. John was never a Darkstar. Kyle never dated Donna or Jade.
      Though without Zero Hour, if ET was the same, then Hal went on a rampage trying to get power to "fix things", then when he got it, apparently didn't even try.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        Nobody killed Hal in Zero Hour. Ollie shot him in the chest with an arrow, but it didn't kill him.
        which is why I wrote 'killed' rather than killed
        Minimum space distance:
        a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
        ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
          Though without Zero Hour, if ET was the same, then Hal went on a rampage trying to get power to "fix things", then when he got it, apparently didn't even try.
          So either he never got enough power, or he created the New 52.

Comment

So either he never got enough power, or he created the New 52.
            Barry created the DCnU. And with Johns being in the position he is, that won't change.

Comment

Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
              which is why I wrote 'killed' rather than killed
              But my point is, that Hal and Ollie had such a close relationship which made that such a poignant moment. It shocked Halallax enough to change the course of the fight.

Given that Ollie has been retconned out of existence, who shot the arrow? Was there an arrow?
              Oh, and who was looked after Hal's ring and power battery and eventually gave it back to him in Rebirth?
              Minimum space distance:
              a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
              ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

Did Final Night happen, either? It wouldn't really fit into new continuity.

Of course, Hal as Parallax has been contradicted numerous times since the New 52 started. As of GLNG #1, he never became Parallax, and the CPB wasn't even destroyed. Then it changed months later, then it changed again...ugh.
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
                  Barry created the DCnU. And with Johns being in the position he is, that won't change.
                  I'm just saying that we haven't seen Hal and Pandora in the same room together.

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                  Did Final Night happen, either? It wouldn't really fit into new continuity.
                  Wasn't it referenced in GL Vol. 05 #20?

Comment

Possibly. But that issue, and WotFL as a whole, was one big inconsistent clusterfuck.

Also, Hal never became the Spectre, which of course would beg the question...if Final Night still happened and Hal died, then who resurrected him and why? Rebirth makes no sense at all in the New 52, so it would have to be something else.
                    SD80MAC
                    Not a True Fan
                    Last edited by SD80MAC; 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM.
                    The last fan of 1990s comics
                    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

The nU 52 makes such a mockery of continuity that I can't even seriously consider any timeline anymore. You can make a timeline from the silver age to 1985, and a post Crisis one up until Flashpoint where it more or less makes sense. Even then there are a lot of stories that have to be jettisoned.

But post Flashpoint? (BTW, when is "post Flashpoint" going to become a term? I call dibs) There isn't anything to hold onto. The GL and Batman mythos are supposed to be the ones more or less intact, but by virtue of those franchises simply interacting with other franchises, it all goes out the window. Hard Travelling Heroes? Zero Hour? Kyle and Connor? None of it happened because that Olliver Queen is nothing like the nU one. Hal couldn't have been the Spectre now because the nU one is different.

Did Katma Tui even exist anymore? Clearly, John is getting a nU origin and I have a feeling she won't even be a part of it. Did Guy's Vulcrapian era even happen? Gal Gardner? Writing that off makes reading Rebirth pointless in the nU 52, as well as other things. Really, GL and Batman didn't survive the reboot any more than the other DC franchises, no matter how proud Geoff Johns is of his body of work.

My favorite is Bruce burning through 5 Robins in 5 years. What a total jackoff if that was the case.

Comment

Tim and Steph have never been Robins in the New 52. Jason and Damian died within their first year, respectively. Which leaves us with Grayson, who became Nightwing after two years.

Comment

oh myyyyyyyy... what a simple question, and what a firestorm of our discontent it hath ignited! Agreed, in New52 World Sinestro was never dead until consigned to the Dead Zone. Hal was definitely dead twice because the Book of Oa recorded his deeds between the "bookends of rebirth." Zero Hour and Final Night occurred within their own continuities, which got nuked by Flashpoint, and there's no Sinestro around at that time, but there's certainly a Qward?? The trouble with a 52 year old character is you gotta look at one fraction of the spectrum of continuity and try to be consistent within it. Many writers can't do that.

Limiting the topic again, I'm playing with this Sinestro death thing in a fan fiction. So here's a theory within the time bucket of the 1988 Englehart continuity. Sinestro escaped. Whoever was executed on Oa wasn't really Sinestro, but was another Korugarian, perhaps his evil twin, substituted for him while he was imprisoned on the moon. The real Sinestro hung out in Qward until the time was right (in Rebirth he's shown zapping back there when his ring is destroyed anyway) to attempt another coup. Guardians captured him (off-frame, untold story, whatever ya wanna call it) and stashed him in the battery in time for Hallalax to snap his hard-water construct's neck on the way to ultimate power. And after the battery was destroyed the real guy just crawled out and licked his wounds. Anybody have a problem with the theory?

This is supposed to be fun. Writing stories within the stories keeps me in practice for real life. You know, like answering Christmas cards.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Tim and Steph have never been Robins in the New 52. . .
                            Tim was a still a Robin. He even offered to return to it after Damian's death. You might be confused because they printed a contradiction about whether he was always Red Robin, but the idea was that he might've been Red Robin even as Batman's sidekick (to honor Jason's memory). Either way, he did his time (probably 3 mos in the New 52) with Bruce.

Comment

He was a Red Robin, never a Robin. Presumably beginning when Jason was still Robin.

Comment

Batman had TWO Robins at the same time? Robin 2 and Red Robin? And now the girl who was Spoiler doesn't count?

Me am so confused. Bruce just needs to admit he's a child molester and this whole sidekick thing is how he gets away with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X