The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 03-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #1601
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Launches Online 'Kids Camp' for Children Home From School
Quote:
For parents trying to juggle watching their kids and get their work done during COVID-19-related self-quarantine and shelter-at-home policies, it’s time for superheroes to come to the rescue. DC has launched DC Kids Camp, an at-home activity program curated by creators behind DC’s middle grade and YA graphic novels running through DC’s social media channels.

Videos will be posted at 10 a.m. PT to the @dccomicskids Twitter account and @dckids Instagram accounts, beginning with Wednesday's “Make a Green Lantern Ring With Minh Lę” video, featuring Green Lantern: Legacy writer Lę; Thursday’s video will be “Superman Origami With Gene Luen Yang,” with Friday featuring “Make Your Own Superhero With Dustin Hansen.”

Future creators to feature as part of DC Kids Camp include Diana: Princess of the Amazons’ Shannon and Dean Hale, Ridley Pearson of the Super Sons trilogy of graphic novels, and Brittney Williams, artist of Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge.

Additionally, activity sheets, coloring pages and further content will be available via the Twitter and Instagram accounts, with a newsletter being sent twice weekly — Mondays and Fridays — also being available for signup.

DC Kids Camp is the first such service set up by a U.S. comics publisher, but British comics weekly The Phoenix has been running a similar activity service on its Twitter account since the start of this week, and 2000 AD released an activity pack last week featuring the kid-friendly 2000 AD Regened versions of its characters.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:25 AM   #1602
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Boo.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 AM   #1603
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

THIS gives me hope for the future of the industry. During the health crisis DC should look at everything across the board and see where they can get back to basics to appeal to a younger and broader audience. Instead of wasting time and resources chasing after the approval of minority groups within minority groups who are more invested in things like social media than going out of their way to buy a new comic regularly, the people calling the shots need to make them more kid friendly/all ages and market them outside of just specialty comic shops to make them more accessible.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #1604
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

There is no hope for the industry. It's going down in flames.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:20 PM   #1605
Space Cop
The Dandy

What the heck is going on this week? DC still lists books being released this week (I have 6 for April 1) but Previews confirms the halt from Diamond (they are not even listing new books). Where are these books going?
Old 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #1606
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

They must have had at least a weeks worth of comics that did make it to the printer's, that are now stuck in limbo waiting to be distributed. For example, there are pics floating around of stacks of printed copies of the Nancy Collins Swamp Thing omnibus that doesnt come out until this Wednesday (or WAS going to).

I get that after a week or so, there wont be anything left to ship, but right now there is. Is this stuff going to just trickle onto ebay?
Old 03-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #1607
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

DC's release schedules have always been wonky and don't react very fast to changes in scheduling. For example, Legion of Superheroes #5 came out last week, but DC kept telling everyone that it came out the week before that. I had a few angry customers who complained about not getting their book.
So I wouldn't give too much thought to DC announcing phantom books that won't ship until the shutdown ends.

But the printers have already shut down a week or two ago. If there were any books completed before that, they were probably still shipped to Diamond, and Diamond will relay them to retailers as soon as this nightmare ends. By then, printers will be working again to produce books for weeks 2 and 3 after Covid-19. And before we know it, things will be back to normal.

I hope.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #1608
Space Cop
The Dandy

I can't get to my LCS anyway, but I'm just wandering when I do how much I'll have to buy. Their facebook last week said they had that shipment and would hold it. No word on this week's.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM   #1609
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Seems DC will still be releasing books digitally as of now.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #1610
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Shit. I was dreading that move. This is going to cost me business.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #1611
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: DC Comics Puts Black Label and Generation Five Titles on Pause
Quote:
DC Comics had told most creators that they were still full-steam-ahead. Editorial see an opportunity to use this time to get ahead, put pages in the bank, and get some titles that have been slipping of late, back onto schedule. Such as Legion Of Super-Heroes, Inferior Five, Doom Patrol, Ra's Al Ghul Vs Batman, Bird Of Prey and more. However, I am now told that a few creators on DC's Black Label mature readers line and 5G projects have been told to cease production. 5G was originally planned to launch in October as Generation Five, but its future has been in doubt.

However, Bleeding Cool has learned of an editorial and production shift to get DC's Kids and Young Adult line moving out faster than originally planned. The bookstore market still distributing with Penguin Random House. DC Comics has found a replacement printer. This week's Gotham High original graphic novel may be just what DC Comics need, both print and digitally. The usual comics may be very delayed now. However, the original graphic novel line that sells better in bookstores than comic stores is ramping up.

Overall there's a lot of belt-tightening going on. Even self-publishers, digital publishers and those who ship directly to readers are noticing a drop-off for paid content, as people's incomes drop. Those funded by advertising are also seeing an income drop off as well. A global recession suggests that even after the restrictions are lifted, the comic book industry is one that may suffer more than most.
Bleeding Cool: DC and Marvel Comics Using Current Situation to Get Ahead Of Schedule
Quote:
For DC Comics, it's even fewer projects. As we stated, DC Comics is using the pause to bank pages and get more comic books finished and done, for when production and distribution returns. I understand that any pauses are on books that would have been paused or cancelled for other reasons other than the current global situation. Though some have also told me that it a welcome opportunity for some in DC editorial to perform a little DiDio-ectomy, and either remove, delay or reduce in prominence comic books that are most associated with former publisher Dan DiDio. Though his Metal Men comic with Shane Davis is expected to come to its planned conclusion with issue 12 later this year. Or next year, depending on everyone's new schedule.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #1612
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Metal Men is going to continue?!? I figured that mini was going to pull a Sonic Disruptors for sure.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #1613
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Art from a pitch for a 12 issue Demon book by Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner that was not approved:

Old 04-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #1614
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

How was this not approved? It looks better than 70% of what DC actually publishes. Oh. I answered my own question, didn't I?
Old 04-13-2020, 10:24 PM   #1615
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Probably didn't think it would sell, same creative team as Future Quest which didn't do great and it's not like Etrigan is a huge draw. That said I would definitely buy such a book.

Last edited by Hypo; 04-13-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #1616
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Current Hellblazer team spitballing:

Old 04-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #1617
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I have never wanted a Muppets Hellblazer film more in my life.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #1618
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Art from a pitch for a 12 issue Demon book by Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner that was not approved:

How is this gorgeous pitch not moving forward?!? It kind of explains why DC and Marvel are teetering on the edge of oblivion. They pass on quality product and instead put out product nobody wants to buy.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:10 AM   #1619
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quick question, is Darkseid War worth reading? I know I've got a couple random issues but I don't believe I have anything more than that.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:17 AM   #1620
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Meh. It meanders a bit too much.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #1621
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Lol y'all acting like the Parker/Shaner would be a run away success when in reality it's a book with a niche audience. The last DC project these guys worked on together averaged like 24k in sales an issues and the last Etrigan mini averaged 11k in sales an issue.

I would buy it in a heartbeat but also understand why DC would say "fuck it, lets put out another Batman book instead'
Old 04-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #1622
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: DC May Be Moving Creators to New Batman Black and White Comics
Quote:
Bleeding Cool is getting word of a new Batman: Black & White comic book series being created by DC right now. I understand that a handful of DC Comics freelancers who may have found their other work for DC curtailed, delayed or postponed for whatever reason, have found themselves reassigned and decommissioned to this new digital-first comic book, planned to be published sooner rather than later. DC has continued to publish digital-first titles as planned, including The Batman Adventures Continue and Teen Titans Go.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #1623
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Another piece of art from that Etrigan pitch:

Old 04-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #1624
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Meh. It meanders a bit too much.
Guess I'll skip it, then. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:42 AM   #1625
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I've spent a chunk of today clearing my backlog (holy shit, I never thought Power Rangers would get so fucking metaphysical and dimensionally-complex, with more dialog than I ever expected out of a karate/kaiju comic), but I did read a small portion of the early stages of Darkseid War as well as Rebirth.

1) I see where the whole "Three Jokers" thing comes from, and I'm cautiously curious.

2) I genuinely felt sorry for Wally, and his reunion with Barry was touching.

3) Naked Grail turning Steve Trevor into the Human Torch. Okay then.

I didn't think the parts I read were terrible. Predictable cosmic crisis escapades, sure, but not terrible. I don't have any more of the saga, so for now I'm reading the rest of my paper mountains.