The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default Life After Johns: JSA

DC's official blog, also known as "The Source," let fans have a glimpse at the future of the Justice Society of America today. Later this month, Geoff Johns and Dale Eaglesham will depart the series. After two issues by legendary creator Jerry Ordway, a new team will step on board in July. Bill Willingham and Matt Sturges will take over writing and Jesus Merino will handle artwork.

With the first solicit information and final cover to Justice Society of America #29 still a few days away, DC wanted fans to get a taste for Merino's talents. Though the pages are still in black and white form, there's no denying Merino will prove more than up to the task of handling such a last cast of characters.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Dr. Polaris..Major Force..Eclipso...all GL villains...and their moving to JSA?

Darth_Andrea
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
General grievous
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I love the look of that art.

General grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Nice work by Merino.
JME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Very nice art. I for one am eagerly looking forward to a change in this book.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

When did Eclipso go back to being a dude? Looks cool tho.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

BEAUTIFUL artwork!

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new creative team can do with the book. A change has been needed for a while. I know Willingham doesn't know much about the JSA and it's history, so I hope he's been busy doing his homework the last couple of months.

But my God, cut that membership down! I count 17 members in the artwork above. The group should be cut in half of that, and many of them are dead weight anyway. Get rid of Lightning, Judomaster, Mr America, Magog, Damage, and Wildcat III right off the bat. Those guys are like Poochie from Simpsons and can let the door hit them on the way out. Bring back Hawkman, because he's the guy that should be there more than any other (along with Flash and GL).
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Lightning? You mean Terrific?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #9
Rayner.2814.4
Hal's Understudy

I think he means Black Lightning's Daughter, West.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Eclipso's a wild card villain. He fight GL a lot, but he was never solely a GL baddie. But they really went retro with him, didn't they? I think I remember him getting to Gordon again recently ... I wish they'd just settle on a look for him already. It's annoying when you can't keep track of a character's changes.

Anyhow, Eclipse killed a few Infinity Incs in his own series in the early 90's. They really scrapped the bottom of the berrel to get JSA-connected villains, but he's been associated with the JSA for a few years now.

Even though he's really famous for his GL-related evil, Force is, technically, cribbed from Captain Atom. Who killed him when he became Monarch. I guess the Force got better. I don't mind seeing him in JSA. It's not like he's gonna be showing up as a GL nemesis any time soon.

Polaris really is 100% GL-baddie, though (even if he bothered Wally some). However, GL is occupied with Blackest Night ... maybe some other time....
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Hopefully with a new creative team, this will allow new readers to jump into JSA
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #12
SFH

Personally, I've always considered Eclipso a Spectre villain given their history. But, Spectre was part of the JSA, so I guess it works.

I think I also see Mammoth in there.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Eclipso was around a LONG time before GL borrowed him. He's kind of a villain up for grabs, with no one hero he really belongs to. I think he works best as a Spectre villain, but I've never been a big fan of Eclipso.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #14
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Anyone remember this issue?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 186-1.jpg (56.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Mosaic; 04-16-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #15
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

The history of Eclipso and Specter is a BIG retcon. They only actually met a couple of times.

Once, in Specter's own series (the one before Hal's Specter tenure) where Specter killed Eclipso "once and for all" by recreating the Heart of Darkness and destroying it.

And then again briefly in Superman, I believe. It was right before he posessed Jean Lorring ... the story had Captain Marvel and an Eclipsed Superman ... very, very much like an old Superman annual.

And then with Eclipso as Jean Lorring: day of judgement. Very recently.

Is there any other Specter / Eclipso meetings I'm not aware of?

BTW: I have that issue of GL. Very nice. Disappointed with his earlier appearance, though ... they gave "Mean Lantern" two entire covers and a red-light ring and he only lasted a few pages. Typical.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #16
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

The reason Eclipso is here is because most of those villains have a Connection to Willingham and Sturges, Sturges wrote Countdown to Mystery which he wrote Eclipso and returned him to Bruce Gordon. Dr. Polaris, The Hound dude and the Wrestler guy (forgot their names lol) and the Mad men are from Blue Beetle. The tapeworm dude and Blackbriar Thorn are from Robin (Willingham's run) and Day of Vengeance. I don't know if they ever wrote Major Force or some of the others but I bet they did or like them.

Anyways I can't wait for them, I think they'll breathe new life into the JSoA which they need sense that extremely and dreadfully long Thy Kingdom Come arc.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
GL BoreBoy

Quote:
But my God, cut that membership down! I count 17 members in the artwork above. The group should be cut in half of that, and many of them are dead weight anyway. Get rid of Lightning, Judomaster, Mr America, Magog, Damage, and Wildcat III right off the bat. Those guys are like Poochie from Simpsons and can let the door hit them on the way out. Bring back Hawkman, because he's the guy that should be there more than any other (along with Flash and GL).
I agree! Those guys are a waste of ink! And where is Jakeem? That kid is pretty funny!Tell me he isn't being replaced by BL daughter or that Hurricane chick? I was pretty close to dropping this title so it better pick up or I'm out.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #29
Written by Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges
Art and cover by Jesus Merino
A new era begins for the Justice Society of America as writers Bill Willingham (FABLES) and Matthew Sturges (BLUE BEETLE) take over the series with new artist Jesus Merino (SUPERMAN ANNUAL) just as two new recruits make their debut with the team! Strange happenings at the JSA Mansion are weird precursors to an all-out attack on all members of the team — all but one! And what is the strange connection that new members King Chimera and All-American Kid might have with the turmoil?
On sale July 29 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Is this for real? Their first act as new writers...is to ADD TWO NEW MEMBERS? WTF?!?!?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Is this for real? Their first act as new writers...is to ADD TWO NEW MEMBERS? WTF?!?!?
Maybe they're planning a future mass murder of JSA members in the near future. -Blackest Night
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
GL BoreBoy

2 new members??? I'm not going to overreact because it could mean we are losing some members. If not, at least I won't be buying it.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Looking at the 3 page cover for #26, there are 24 "active" members. I could cut that down to 13 without a second thought, and not an ounce of guilt.

Hawkman
Flash
GL
Wildcat
Stargirl
Hourman II
Liberty Bell II
Jakeem Thunder/Thunderbolt
Mr Terrific II
Dr Mid-Nite III
Citizen Steel
Sandman V
Atom Smasher

Cut everyone else loose right off the bat. And hell, if I can get it to 13, I might as well cut it down one more for the old knights of the round table motiff. Maybe even reinstate that old JSA rule that limits how many members could be on the team at one time (It used to be 8, but maby it could be brought back and changed to 12, or whatever number was desired).If I was going to lose one more member, it's be Stargirl. She's really Geoff's baby, and similar to Robinson and Jack Knight, maybe she's best left to her creator out of respect.
That'd leave 12 in a mix of golden age, members that have been on the team for years, and a few newbies that never got the attention they deserved.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #22
A_Q Lantern
Corpse Trainee

2 in... 2 out?!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Looking at the 3 page cover for #26, there are 24 "active" members. I could cut that down to 13 without a second thought, and not an ounce of guilt.

Hawkman
Flash
GL
Wildcat
Stargirl
Hourman II
Liberty Bell II
Jakeem Thunder/Thunderbolt
Mr Terrific II
Dr Mid-Nite III
Citizen Steel
Sandman V
Atom Smasher

Cut everyone else loose right off the bat. And hell, if I can get it to 13, I might as well cut it down one more for the old knights of the round table motiff. Maybe even reinstate that old JSA rule that limits how many members could be on the team at one time (It used to be 8, but maby it could be brought back and changed to 12, or whatever number was desired).If I was going to lose one more member, it's be Stargirl. She's really Geoff's baby, and similar to Robinson and Jack Knight, maybe she's best left to her creator out of respect.
That'd leave 12 in a mix of golden age, members that have been on the team for years, and a few newbies that never got the attention they deserved.
I'd pretty much agree on this idea altogether with a few slight alterations. Then I'd take the other half of the team and have them start up a "Young Justice" type of team. With the experienced young heroes training the newbie young heroes.

JSA:
Hawkman
Flash
GL
Wildcat
Power Girl
Hourman II
Liberty Bell II
Mr Terrific II
Dr Mid-Nite III
Citizen Steel
Sandman V
Atom Smasher

Young Justice:
Stargirl
Damage
Wildcat III
Cyclone
Lightning
Judo Master
Magog
Jakeem Thunder

Then maybe a few other youngsters out ther that could join up, like Misfit, Damien, or Spoiler maybe? I dunno. But the team is too big and I'd go with the more classic JSA-ers.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
W.West

Quote:
In about a month or two Justice will be served up fresh and furious by a brand new team starting with JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #29! That’s right, fabled writers Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges will join phenom artist Jesus Merino just as several new members join the storied super-hero team itself in a story arc that’s sure to shake the JSA and the group’s Mansion headquarters to its very core!

Quote:
jsa30p11

Almost every villain available AND their brother have joined the bounty hunt for almost every single member of the JSA… while a murderous mystery takes hold at their home base—with two new legacy members at the center of the storm!

That’s the general pitch—but so you don’t think this is just another biased load of hype you really DO have to take a look at the attached bunch of pages from the first couple of issues of this storyline—called THE BAD SEED! These pictures by amazing artist Jesus Merino really ARE worth a thousand words so I will basically shut up from here on!
Quote:
jsa29-p12-13

I did say basically… because I don’t want to sell the writers and their contributions short either… bringing a fresh—if skewed look to the show, Willingham & Sturges are outdoing themselves. And while I can’t speak to their day-in-and-day-out interaction/collaboration… they seem to be on the same page—though something tells me that the JSA might not be the only team shaken up by this lead off adventure!

Oh… and some folks will be returning to the JSA, too… so the fate of this series really IS in good hands!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #25
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Looking better and better.
JME2 is offline   Reply With Quote