The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 12-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
xionice
The Artist

Default Geoff Johns leaves JSA

From Newsarama.com:

Quote:
In the eyes of many readers, it's a clear example of "all good things must come to an end."

Geoff Johns has announced that he will be leaving DC's Justice Society of America with issue #26. At his Comicbloc forum , Johns wrote:

There will always be a JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA book in the DC Universe.

I take a lot of pride in that fact because it wasn’t always true.

It’s hard to say this but officially, I will be leaving the title after JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #26, which is a single-issue story entitled “BLACK ADAM RUINED MY BIRTHDAY.” Following the Black Adam arc with Jerry and I, #26 will be my last issue, Dale’s last and our fantastic editor Michael Siglain’s last. I think we’re going out on one of my favorite stories to date and I’m glad we are all going out on this together.

I’ve been writing JSA nearly my entire career. The book has steadily gained new and old fans and, with the re-launch two years ago, fixed itself as one of the staples of the DC UNIVERSE. Since then we’ve remained one of the top monthly books at DC alongside JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA and BATMAN. A book starring characters like Jay Garrick, Stargirl, Mr. Terrific and Citizen Steel. Heroes that, I think, most people had written off. But not all of them did.

We got Dr. Mid-Nite from the talented Matt Wagner. And the new Mr. Terrific first appeared in THE SPECTRE under the pen of one of my favorite writers John Ostrander. I brought in Stargirl, who will always be a character I write in one form or another – no matter if I’m on JSA or not. And, above all, I think James Robinson’s run on STARMAN opened the door for the JSA on a different level.

How’d I get involved in this? Peter Tomasi and David Goyer.

I was asked by them to come on and co-write JSA back in 1999 right when I got into comics. James had left the book after issue #2. David wrote #3 himself and I came in and wrote #4 with him, but without a credit. I got a special thanks to, but that was enough for me. David then wrote #5 and I came on officially with #6, which featured Black Adam way back when. Over the next two years, I worked with David on the book steadily until he left with #25 and returned later through #51.

The JSA to me represents everything good about life, work and superheroes. In life, generations past, present and future all provide different viewpoints. There can be something magical when it’s past from grandfather to father to son or from mother to daughter or son to grandfather. There’s nothing more important than family – and family means a lot more than just blood relatives. That’s what my very first book, STARS & S.T.R.I.P.E., was about and that’s what JSA, and life, is about.

So why am I leaving?

I have more stories to tell, and the characters are endless, but that’s also true for the DC Universe. I’m ready to move on to some other challenges like returning to THE FLASH and SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN. And I am also obsessed with making sure that GREEN LANTERN, BLACKEST NIGHT and everything around it is the absolute best it can possibly be. ...and that’s only part of 2009. There are some new projects on the horizon.

I have to thank Dale Eaglesham, Fernando Parasin, Alex Ross, Steve Sadowski, Leonard Kirk, Don Kramer, Jerry Ordway, Michael Bair, Alex Sinclair, Jon Kalisz, Michael Siglain, Steve Wacker, Harvey Richards, Eddie Berganza, Adam Schlagman, Peter Tomasi, David Goyer, James Robinson, Carlos Pacheco and the creators that inspired me – Paul Levitz, Grant Morrison and Marv Wolfman.

And although he’s never read the book, Roy Thomas. He held the torch for a long time and did a wonderful job. I wish we could've done a project together.

I’m sure I’ll return to the JUSTICE SOCIETY in some form or another some day, but for now I’m passing them off a new creative team – one who is already working on the book (job’s taken, sorry guys – and it’s someone who’s never worked with these characters before). I really look forward to reading it.

Thanks for all your support and I'll see you all soon!
Depending on who's writing next, I may drop.

Last edited by xionice; 12-10-2008 at 01:10 AM.
xionice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #2
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

That's actually good news for me. I'm getting tired of so much Geoff Johns anyway. He is the reason I picked up the book, but he hasn't really impressed me overly with anything thus far. New blood might be exactly what this book needs.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #3
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Dammit; there goes any interest I have in reading JSA.
JME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

Wow, one more book off my hold list.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
GLC2814.4

Me three, It's gonna start to suck soon. Coming off the pull list methinks
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #6
Mewzard
Say what you will about masturbation...

>_> It sucks, but I'll stay on, possibly. It seems if Johns wants to kill a comic he's writing, all he has to do is leave it. The man has sway at DC, that's for sure. But, due to his good writing and enjoyable stories.
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Not good or bad to me (only reading JSA right now for the Kingdom Come intrigue and cherry-picking any Alan Scott-heavy stories) but probably good in the sense that Geoff will be able to devote more energy to the titles he has. Though with Geoff jumping on Flash and probably Adventure Comics with the Legion...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
IndigoSentinel
Fatality's Blacksmith

Well, in that interview he states tthat he will be working on Flash, so at least that is good
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I just hope he doesn't pick up Aquaman now...He is far from the right person to do that.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
I just hope he doesn't pick up Aquaman now...He is far from the right person to do that.
If not Johns, then who would be your pick to handle a revamp of Orin?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #11
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Fanboy status aside, I'd still give it Morrison, I just think he would be beyond perfect for Aquaman's return. If not Morrison, I'd give it to Mark Waid. I really want to see Ivan Reis on Aquaman, I think that would look amazing.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #12
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Fanboy status aside, I'd still give it Morrison, I just think he would be beyond perfect for Aquaman's return. If not Morrison, I'd give it to Mark Waid. I really want to see Ivan Reis on Aquaman, I think that would look amazing.
Hmm. Interesting choices. Reis on artwork would be nice. I wouldn't mind see Shane Davis on art chores either; his style is an acquired taste, but I did enjoy his rendition of Aquaman and the undersea sequences in the "Kryptonite" arc on Superman/Batman.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #13
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Guess I'll be dropping this, same as I did with Booster Gold, to save some money.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
Chamalkan
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Wasn't buying this, but I'm not unlucky about this.
Johns is brilliant to make things outside the Trinity good sellers.
So him on Flash and GL seems right for me.
In my mind he'd also do Martian Manhunter and Aquaman. That way ALL original JLA members will be big sellers
Chamalkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I dunno whether I'll drop it or not. I guess I'll just wait and see where the stories go before deciding.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

People dropping JSA because Geoff is leaving without even knowing who the next writer is very puzzling to me.

I don't think Geoff may necessarily be the best writer for Aquaman, however... Aquaman pretty much needs a big name to get the big launch it needs to in order to survive.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
W.West

Off Topic: Aquaman doesn't need a big name writer, just a GOOD writer...something he rarely had. Aquaman has a big fanbase, not huge but big enough to generate hype on its own to survive. Its been too long since Aquaman was a character worth looking at let alone reading.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Off Topic: Aquaman doesn't need a big name writer, just a GOOD writer...
It needs either a big name writer or a big name artist... and preferably both to put a book out there that lasts more than a year or two after the initial buzz goes away.

Aquaman is largely a joke. To people.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #19
Maverick_GL

I wouldn't be against him showing in JLA from time to time.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Old 12-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Yeah, Aquaman should be in JLA. If not all the time, then for regular "stints."
Old 12-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #21
artisticblasts

I think we tired of looking at only the big three (Batman Superman Wonder Woman) as the central focus of DC Universe. Why don't people start to look at Aquaman? He's not even less cooler and interesting to be told anyway. At least, not for me
Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticblasts View Post
I think we tired of looking at only the big three (Batman Superman Wonder Woman) as the central focus of DC Universe. Why don't people start to look at Aquaman? He's not even less cooler and interesting to be told anyway. At least, not for me
It's interesting how Aquaman is supposed to be one of the Big 7 and a founding father of the JLA, and yet he gets shafted even more than the Martian Manhunter.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticblasts View Post
Even Aquaman is too "mainstream" for what I'd like to see.

I'm talking:

Animal Man
Metamorpho
Geo-Force
Obsidian
Starman (Prince Gayvn)
Citizen Steel
and of course, Red Tornado

but then again, I'm a sucker for the C-list

Old 12-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #24
HalFingJordan

I'm burning my JSA collection if Geoff leaves. He was the greatest thing that book ever saw, and Green Lantern as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #25
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
I'm burning my JSA collection if Geoff leaves. He was the greatest thing that book ever saw, and Green Lantern as well.
I swore I'd stop reading JSA if he left; same goes for GL. So, that's one down for the moment...