The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1
View Poll Results: Rate JSA #20
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 2 20.00%
**** 3 30.00%
***** 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Justice Society of America #20 *Spoilers*

Out today.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Best issue in a long time. 4 solid stars.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Darth_Ennis

I thought it was okay, not the best JSA story ever but certainly not bad by any means.

It did beg me to wonder why teh Green Kryptonite affected New Earths Posergirl but not Earth 2's Powergirl even though she was standing right next to it.

If I'm not mistaken Huntress seemed to have wondered about that too.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Four stars for me. I'm enjoying these E2 interludes much more than the main Kingdom Come story. And having the Ordster doing sections of the book? How frigging cool is that?!!

I was hoping the two Hawkmen would bump into each other, but there's only so much you can do in 22 pages. As it is, pretty much every member of the JSA has some kind of personal loss that can be reflected on by bumping into characters on the other sideof the fence. I wouldn't mind seeing Carter's take on the alternate versions of his son and daughter in law, but that same scenario is already being addressed with Green Lantern and his son and daughter.

and it looks like the issue of which E2 this is has finally been putto rest. They pretty much spell it out for us that this is a new Earth 2. Curiously, the claim is that the E2 Supes that dies in Infinite Crisis wasn't the real E2 Supes, which makes absolutely NO sense. That supes was with Prime, Luthor, and his Lois from Crisis #12 to the end, so how could he have been from a version of E2 that wasn't created until IC????
Old 11-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Curiously, the claim is that the E2 Supes that dies in Infinite Crisis wasn't the real E2 Supes, which makes absolutely NO sense. That supes was with Prime, Luthor, and his Lois from Crisis #12 to the end, so how could he have been from a version of E2 that wasn't created until IC????
Yes, if true, that's just nonsense. I mean... then, where did the original E2 Supes go?
Old 11-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

And how did who replaced him fool his wife, Prime, and Luthor Jr? Seems like it was just thrown out there to give PG something to hold onto, without really thinking it through.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Maverick_GL

I chalked it up to E2 PG having the same memories as the original Earth 2 Power Girl myself. But...I think there is something wrong with her anyway. I think shes a little nutso.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

I think the Earth 2 Superman who died in IC was a anomaly. Remember when the main earth reformed and all the conunity was in flux at the end of COIE the 4 of them were outside of the universe. So when the 52 was created at the end of IC a New Earth 2 Superman would have been created along with all the people of that Earth.

Darth_Andrea
Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
RichSan

i thought E2 supes being in in limbo (according to the starman summary of COIE and infinite crisis)when the "new" earths were created meant he basically
was missing from E2's development after the events of COIE-kinda confused on this -must read this issue again
Old 11-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
I think the Earth 2 Superman who died in IC was a anomaly. Remember when the main earth reformed and all the conunity was in flux at the end of COIE the 4 of them were outside of the universe. So when the 52 was created at the end of IC a New Earth 2 Superman would have been created along with all the people of that Earth.

Darth_Andrea

This is exactly the case. The Original Earth Two Kal-L died in IC. Stemming from IC, a NEW Earth 2 was formed, with a NEW KAl-L, and a NEW Power Girl. There you have it.

On another note, this issue is further proof the Lo3Ws story has already happened. Starmans costume was made by 3 Brainiacs.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #11
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Default JSA #20: BIG FUCKIN' REVEAL!!

Yo.

so far, this has been my book of the week, and a big tip of the hat to GJ himself.

Ima give it 5*'s personally

Tazer
edit- editted due to blindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Last edited by Tazer; 11-07-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ead.php?t=5287
Old 11-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

I've been meaning to get into JSA, seeing that I read and enjoy everything else Geoff Johns is doing right now. However, the current arc is a bit too multiversal for my tastes, not to mention I'd be coming in at the tail-end of a story which seems to have been going on for ages. I'm thinking of giving it a shot in January, when they'll be starting a new story with Black Adam.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:36 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
And how did who replaced him fool his wife, Prime, and Luthor Jr? Seems like it was just thrown out there to give PG something to hold onto, without really thinking it through.
Reading it closely, I don't think the issue was intended to say that it was the 2nd Earth-2 Superman that went to the Paradise Dimension and died in Infinite Crisis... that's just what the 2nd Earth-2 Powergirl believed based on what the real Powergirl was saying.

Though if it is true... I think we're looking at Geoff giving an early and deliberate play with what will be revealed as a return of Hypertime in Final Crisis.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #15
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

wait guys,.so theyre saying that the E2 supes that died in IC wasnt real!?!??! WTF ?!?!?
Old 11-07-2008, 02:10 AM   #16
Maverick_GL

No no no, the whole thing is incredibly simple:

Kal-L and Power Girl are from the original Earth 2 - Pre-CoIE

After 52, a duplicate Earth 2 was created, including a duplicate Kal-L (seemingly lost) and a duplicate Power Girl who is the one we see in this story. She has all the memories of the original Power Girl (ours on the JSA) up to the point where CoIE ends.

This is a NEW Earth 2, with duplicate characters of all the original Earth 2 characters.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #17
Maverick_GL

The fact that Starmans suit was made by 3 Brainiac 5's is another indication that the Legion of 3 Worlds story has already happened, something I've been saying before it even came out.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post

After 52, a duplicate Earth 2 was created, including a duplicate Kal-L (seemingly lost) and a duplicate Power Girl who is the one we see in this story. She has all the memories of the original Power Girl (ours on the JSA) up to the point where CoIE ends.

This is a NEW Earth 2, with duplicate characters of all the original Earth 2 characters.
The only question is where the new Earth-2's Kal-L is, and where he has been for "years."
Old 11-07-2008, 04:24 AM   #19
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:

ohhh soo theres this new E2 Kal. thanks for clearing it up for me mav
Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #20
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

Quote:
The fact that Starmans suit was made by 3 Brainiac 5's is another indication that the Legion of 3 Worlds story has already happened, something I've been saying before it even came out.
Yeah, Geoff definately planned it that way. Since he alluded to the Legion of Three Worlds "Crisis" all the way back during The Lightning Saga, before it was even announced. So the Starman we've been seeing all this time in JSA has been a post Lo3W Starman. Also the mission the Legionares were on in TLS to retrieve someone(Bart) in the lightningt rod, was to set up for that someone's resurrection in Lo3w. Pretty sweet how it worked that way.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #21
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Quote:
On another note, this issue is further proof the Lo3Ws story has already happened. Starmans costume was made by 3 Brainiacs.
This is a good thing though. So you don't have to worry about Superman's continuity durring FC as we can assume LO3W is pre-Final Crisis. We can also assume that since time travel is involved that the mentions of it from previous books are not just only foreshadowing but also elements of temporal realignment.

Darth_Andrea
Old 11-07-2008, 06:51 AM   #22
Maverick_GL

Quote:
The only question is where the new Earth-2's Kal-L is, and where he has been for "years."
This is the unanswered question. It would be funny if he somehow got shunted to Earth-22 all those years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tons T View Post
ohhh soo theres this new E2 Kal. thanks for clearing it up for me mav
Glad I could help, sometimes people get so wrapped up in things, they fail to see the obvious. Although...I could be wrong too

Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #23
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Reading it closely, I don't think the issue was intended to say that it was the 2nd Earth-2 Superman that went to the Paradise Dimension and died in Infinite Crisis... that's just what the 2nd Earth-2 Powergirl believed based on what the real Powergirl was saying.
I'm willing to let it go as bad wording. It makes a lot more sense if it plays out like it appears; that this is the post Crisis version of E2 as it carried on, and Supes and PG got replaced because they weren't there when it was reborn. Granted, you could make that claim about any number of E2 characters currently used in the DCU JSA book, but it's best to accept it for what it seems to be intended to be.

Did you guys notice that Jade claimed her father was dead on this world? Is it possible some of the "new Earth" JSAers could end up migrating over there to live? We all figured it'd be Power Girl, but wouldn't it be something if Jay or Alan moved there?

Personally, I'd love an Earth 2 ongoing title, drawn by Jerry Ordway.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #24
Maverick_GL

I wouldn't necessarily be against that, but I just fear that sales would mean a short run, and perhaps the end of the characters entirely.

More observations:

Where was the Earth 2 Jay?

Perhaps with Alan and Batman dead on Earth two, it means that the other "originals" are also dead, such as Jay, Wildcat etc.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Good question. There weren't any dopplegangers meeting themselves in the story, aside from Power Girl. I guess Geoff intentionally left any possible meetups out for this issue to give PG's story more impact. And threw in Hawkman on the other side to give their team more legitimacy so it didn't look like an amped up Infinity Inc.