The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #26
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Wouldn't that Jade be another intelligent construct like the one he made a year ago?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

No. Because this would be the entirety of his Starheart power creating something permanent.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

If Alan dose die, I can see the Guardians attempting to take the StarHeart back to contain it. It's a volatile object containing a enormous amount of mystical power. A good majority of that power I would think was taken from the 5 inversions and the Empire Of Tears. If however Alan's soul merges with it as Yalan's did (according to GL vol 3 #19) it might resist such a attempt and search for a new wielder.

Darth_Andrea
Old 10-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionice View Post
I think it's possible, but only if Geoff Johns were writing it. Alan is a prominent figure in JSA in my opinion, and I doubt Johns would let Alan be killed off by Morrison. I'm not saying it isn't possible, it just would seem weird to me. Morrison never writes him, it would fall flat just like the Martian Manhunter's death did.
Morrison doesn't need the OK from Geoff to kill off Alan, he'll need it from DC. And Grant and Geoff are close enough friends that Grant would probably talk to him when the thought of killing Alan first came to him. Out of sheer respect would Grant HAVE TO tell Geoff anything..

If Alan does die, I'd like his ring to be(as said before) gone with him. Though I kinda like the idea of making another Jade too.

Final Crisis doesn't look like a death book...People aren't dying left and right...this isn't a war-like story as it is a zombie-like story.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #30
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

I cannot see a Jade made from the Starheart being anything more than a construct. Even if not, a writer a few years from now might retcon her into one.

I can see a lot of the other magic users of DC earth wanting a piece of the Starheart power if Alan dies. It is a whole lot of pretty powerful magical energy up for grabs after his death. Faust, Mordru, Morgaine, etc might start a fight with Dr Fate and any other mystics just for a little part of it.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #31
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I have no problem with Jade returning. in fact, I've always liked her. If Alan were gone, she'd make sense to have in the JSA. I just don't want to see her, under ANY circumstances, to have alan's ring and lantern. Those were his, created by Nodell, and should stay part of his creation. Jade was Roy Thomas' creation, and I'd rather see her stay the way he made her. She doesn't need a ring and lantern, and it would be lame to give them to her anyway.

I do miss her though.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #32
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

hmmm it could work, Alan dead, comes back in Blackest Night
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #33
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Now there's an evil thought.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 PM   #34
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Alan leads the final resistance in Final Crisis only to die...and come back in Blackest Night as the leader of the Hope Corps! YAY!!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #35
Fearless
Agent Orange

I honestly hope he doesn't, but... it ain't looking good...
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:16 AM   #36
GLC2814.4

I will be fucking pissed if Alan eats it in FC

But if he comes back (as a human, not as a corpse) in Blackest Night, then I will be less pissed.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #37
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I don't think DC really has it in them to kill him off in any permenant way.

If he died, though, I would probably like to see his power passed to a new character. Or even to his other kid. The one with the totally unrelated power .... the one nobody really cares about. You know? Obsidi-something? I liked Jade, but I think they ruined her. She was already a Green Lantern besides (even though she doesn't seem to have a place in the Corps' crypt) so it'd be regressing somewhat.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 AM   #38
Darth_Ennis

Next to Captain America, Alan Scott is my favorite golden age character.

He is the main reason I read JSA ( not that he's really in it that much)

I would be devastated if they killed him off seeing as how I just lost Cap last year.

I really really hope they don't kill him, there is no reason to other than shock value. And a cheap shock it will be.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #39
TheLegendLives

It is getting harder and harder to tie continuity in with Alan. I mean, Hal has probably been a GL for less than 10 years in the comic book world, and that can go up at a slow rate, but for Alan, he is tied to WWII. So soon when it's 2015, he'll have been a GL for like 75 years, making him pretty damn old. So they might have to do something abou that.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #40
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If Jay Garrick and Carter Hall can still be around, why not Alan Scott? Their backgrounds and powers help justify them being around and looking so good. Wildcat Ted Grant is the only one of the old JSA that really looks foolish at this point. The nine lives they gave him were kind of a stretch.

Anyway, the trio of GL, Flash, and Hawkman are the Big Three to me...to hell with Batman, Supes, and WW!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #41
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Well, Alan has the power of the Stearheart aka the big magical poobah in the GL world. At once point Jhons tried to mak ehis entire body composed of Green Flame, held together only by Alan's will ... we haven't heard anything about that since Princes of Darkness, so it might not have stuck. And Flash has the Speed Force to explain any plot holes as far as he goes. I have no problems with either of them being young. Carter was (reletively) recently reincarnated into a younger body.

But Wildcat, on the other hand, really has gotta retire already. Sure, he's in great shape and dyes his hair (or something), but ... yeah.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #42
Astro
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Nah, the catalyst for the Hal/Ollie JL team is the death of Martian Manhunter.

They kind of already telegraphed this by Ollie looking so outraged about it.

I think Alan Scott is fine, and I think he's playing a big role in Final Crisis just because he's the most logical coordinator; his age, his experience, his natural power, his long tenure as leader of the JSA, and his recent tenure with Checkmate all make him the most qualified person to lead the heroes in this time of crisis, especially with most of the JLA indisposed, and certainly the most prominant leaders all being indisposed (Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Hal)
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #43
Secret Warrior

Man, I'm bummed about hearing this. As much as I hate to admit it, it does sound logical.

IF he dies, it will reinforce my theory that all of Geoff Johns' creative energies are going into other characters. Last year, he focused on GL and setting up the Corps and Blackest Night. This year it's the whole New Krypton story.

Anybody remember when Jay, Alan and Hawkman all had personalities? I think it was when the comic was still called JSA lol. Nowadays, all we really see of characterization is Wildcat. And that's basically because his son is a new recruit.

And my favorite JSA memeber is probably Midnite but all he ever does currently is dish out bandaids!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #44
Chicago_GL
Weaponer of Qward

Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago_GL

I hate to say it but I won't be sad to see him go.

Chicago_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #45
Mrt1000son
Dark Lord of the Sith

If Alan dies in FC the Guardians (basically Scar tricking them into it) will send the Alphas to get the Starheart seeing as how it's the Guardians property/responsibility and screw everyone who gets in their way

If they won't let their Lanterns roll in the hay, d'you really think they'll let an object of immense mystical power run loose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastroncafe
Freedom of Speech does not mean Freedom From Being Called Out For Spouting Bullshit.
Mrt1000son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #46
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Ennis View Post
Next to Captain America, Alan Scott is my favorite golden age character.

He is the main reason I read JSA ( not that he's really in it that much)

I would be devastated if they killed him off seeing as how I just lost Cap last year.

I really really hope they don't kill him, there is no reason to other than shock value. And a cheap shock it will be.
but Cap isn't a Golden age hero - Avengers #5 is squarely in the Silver Age....

BTW - I think Alan is finally being the character he should be in FC thanks to Morrison taking the big three out of the picture, Alan should be doing this gig full time, basically the Commanding General in charge of everyone. He is that guy, He's like Patton sort of......

Anyway DON'T KILL ALAN!!!

I will hate you forever if you do!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #47
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
but Cap isn't a Golden age hero - Avengers #5 is squarely in the Silver Age....

BTW - I think Alan is finally being the character he should be in FC thanks to Morrison taking the big three out of the picture, Alan should be doing this gig full time, basically the Commanding General in charge of everyone. He is that guy, He's like Patton sort of......

Anyway DON'T KILL ALAN!!!

I will hate you forever if you do!
Cap first appeared in the 1940's and was one of Marvels golden age World War 2 publishing icons

Darth_Andrea
Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 AM   #48
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

This just struck me... what if the death that propels Hal and Ollie to start their Justice League isn't the Martian Manhunter's... but Alan's?

I could see Hal getting all kinds of riled about that.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #49
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I'd hate to see that happen. And yet ... I can't really think of a good way to refute it. Alan's just been a backdrop at JSA lately. Except for that one scene with Earth-2 Jade.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Most people -- myself included -- found it strange that Grant Morrison would devote as much attention as he did to Alan all of a sudden early on into FC. Perhaps a foreshadowing of a later "payoff" (so to speak) in the kill-off? As it would be bizarre to just randomly kill him off in a later issue with him playing no substantial role earlier.