The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 08-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School
Default Should the guardians just give alan a ring.

was this ever asked, discussed even in a comic so to speak.

should alan be a offical gl officer and go to oa and the whole nine?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

I have seen a Vol. 2 cover that shows the Guardians telling Hal that Alan was replaceing him at 2814's Green Lantern. This was obviously well before Crisis on Infinate Earths. I don't know exactly what happened in that issue I have never read it. But I don't think they would try and bring Alan into the Corps as he is melded with the StarHeart after a fashion. To my knowlage they still consider the StarHeart as one of their mistakes/failures so the reminder might be more than they could handel. Though Alan's power is somewhat connected to the Corps unless we get a Geoff-Con that wipes away GL Vol. 3 #19 where we learn the story of Yalan Gur Green Lantern of 2814 durring the time of emperial China. His Ring, Lantern, and body combined with the StarHeart and eventualy became Alan's Battery and ring.

Darth_Andrea
Old 08-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
IndigoSentinel
Fatality's Blacksmith

The Vol.2 story with the Guardian's proclaiming Alan as Green Lantern was because of mind control from some ancient enemy of the GL who had possesed Alan and the possesed the Guardians. So nothing came out of it (especially with Alan Scott being from another Earth)

I think now Alan is a honorar Green Lantern, but that is only a title

Also, Alan becoming a member of the Corps means him losing his awesome uniform, which is a big no-no
Old 08-02-2008, 12:44 AM   #4
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

It's a completely trashy fan idea, but I'd like to see the oposite. I'd like to see a corps of magical GLs. In an elseworlds or something.

There was a "1st" special which replaced that pre-Crisis issue of Vol 2. In it Krona returned and the Gurdians contacted Alan. They did offer him a place, but Alan ceeded, saying that it was Hal's turn.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoSentinel View Post
The Vol.2 story with the Guardian's proclaiming Alan as Green Lantern was because of mind control from some ancient enemy of the GL who had possesed Alan and the possesed the Guardians. So nothing came out of it (especially with Alan Scott being from another Earth)

I think now Alan is a honorar Green Lantern, but that is only a title

Also, Alan becoming a member of the Corps means him losing his awesome uniform, which is a big no-no
so why couldnt he keep the costume and change the lantern symbol?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Retconning Yalan Gur out of the picture wouldn't bother me. I always thought Alan should have little to do with the Corps or the Guardians personally. Although I do think it's kind of cool that the meteor that gave Alan his powers was originally made by the Guardians.

But I suppose there has to be some plausable reason why some guy on Earth just happens to have a ring and battery that work almost exactly like the intergalactic police force that has been around for thousands of years.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #7
GLJIMT

Alan is an Honorary member of the Corps and why would they give him a ring? he already has a ring

anyway I could never figure out why they didn't repo their merch Alan stole (you know that Starheart thingy) belonged to the Guardians
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #8
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

I think once you launch something into space and forget about it for a few hundred thousand years, It's pretty much up for grabs.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I would be cool with it. I would like to see Alan be like a back up corps member.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #10
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
Alan is an Honorary member of the Corps and why would they give him a ring? he already has a ring

anyway I could never figure out why they didn't repo their merch Alan stole (you know that Starheart thingy) belonged to the Guardians
Why would they? He's doing the GL name proud.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Lundonj

The farther away from the GLC the better, in my humble opinion.

For me, Alan's cool factor is that he is unique, with a unique power source. I know the continuity has moved back and forth, trying to either shoehorn him in or set him apart, but the best bits to me are keeping Alan...Alan. An elder statesmen, uber powered solo Lantern.

-Don
Old 08-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

I know alan has a ring.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
Lishego

His fine the way he is, he has backed up the corps before, and as stated his unique!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
Slobo
Fatality's Blacksmith

He could have a level in the corps, because in Final crisis he want talk to the gardian and speak for Hal defense !
Old 08-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #15
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobo View Post
He could have a level in the corps, because in Final crisis he want talk to the gardian and speak for Hal defense !
In final Crisis he said he was a GL "in name only". Alan doesn't rank in the Corps.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #16
Mister Sinister

No, Alan should remain unique.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #17
Daxamite1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sinister View Post
No, Alan should remain unique.
I agree. I like that Alan has a connection to the Lanterns in name only. I like the magic aspect of him. He should just stay the way he is.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 AM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Absolutely NOT. Alan has got along FINE all these years only being loosely connected to the Corps, and that's the way it should STAY. Alan is a JSA character first and foremost, and his role as a superhero needs to stay with them. He's been a JSAer for 68 years now, and I doubt a big drastic change will do the character any good at this point.

I always liked the thought that Alan has always been doing the Guardians bidding...just totally unaware of it. If they did a story where it was revealed that a lot of the things (more than when they first retconned his connection to Oa) that happened since his origin were part of a great experimentm I'd be fine with that. It would help flesh out some of the ridiculous coincidences between him and the GLC. As long as he isn't let in on the "secret", and it didn't lead Alan into the Corps, or anywhere away from Earth and the JSA.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

You know I hope Geoff plans on useing Alan in Blackest Night. I would think he would have to given that the magic collected in the starheart largely came from the empire of tears.

Darth_Andrea
Old 09-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
Daxamite1760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
You know I hope Geoff plans on useing Alan in Blackest Night. I would think he would have to given that the magic collected in the starheart largely came from the empire of tears.
I would love to see Alan have a bit more involvment in Blackest Night than he did in Rebirth and SCW.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #21
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Any exuse to give him a spotlight for a while is a good one I say. He's the original the point of creation for all we as fans have come to love. And lets face it, it's been a while since there has been a real spotlight on the character.

Darth_Andrea
Old 12-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
artisticblasts

Ditto ....

Old 12-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Yes I do, and with Geoff leaving JSA, this is a good tme to expand his role in the DCU by putting him in the GLC as well as the JSA.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #24
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Colonel Xonic

Well, now I say YESS! Make him a REAL GL with BOTH rings
Colonel Xonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #25
hYPE

Quote:

that cracked me up, repo his ring and battery! that would be awesome! listen Mr. Scott your about 50-60 years late on your payment for this Starheart thingy, we will need to confiscate this property! haha