The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Fan Works
FLASHCHAT

About Us

Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #51
IronLantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
Thanks! I went through a number of years as a GL fan with NO power rings. But then, all of a sudden, in the 1990s, DC FINALLY realized there was a demand for replicas of the most powerful weapon in the universe, and then fans with the right set of skills started making their own, highly desirable replicas, for sale to other fans via eBay or GL-related websites, and before I knew it, I was well on my way to the collection I have today! Yeah, I've definitely shown it off over there a couple times over the years.
Yeah, I remember when the Kyle ring came out, it was such an awesome thing to see DC finally realize there's a major market for GL rings. I coulnd't afford it at the time, but I've managed to track both Kyle's and the silver Hal version they came out with.

I've been trying to register at Prop Replica Forums to check into the anodized aluminum rings that guy is making, but apparently they've disabled new registrations for some reason, so I think I'm out of luck there.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #52
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

Registration is normally only open for a couple weeks in June. But so far Megatron has not given any updates since early October.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #53
IronLantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
Registration is normally only open for a couple weeks in June. But so far Megatron has not given any updates since early October.
Wow. Okay, well I guess I have a little while to wait then. I'm not sure if the guy even ended up making those rings.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #54
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

hey lime is there a possibility I could get you to make me a LED ring? we are coming up on convention season here so i want to be ready
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #55
Limelantern

Can't right now. I have been too broke to buy any more clear resin (that stuff is expensive) or actually afford any projects lately.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #56
IronLantern

Man, this Prop Replica Forum thing is killing me.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #57
Limelantern

Just thought I would post a pic of my newest ring

Another Sinestro ring but this one is sterling silver. I bought it second hand from a guy who needed moving money so I have no idea who the actual maker of it is. The face originally had yellow paint all around the symbol, but it looked bad so I removed it. I haven't decided what to put in it's place yet, if I even will.

Another problem I did not see coming is, it's size 14 and I wear a size 10. So it might just find it's way to the trading forum someday if I can find a more my size sinestro ring to replace it.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:12 AM   #58
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Decent find. Although silver rings make me raise an eyebrow. It almost makes a White Lantern worth it just if we can have an actual, canon, white (or silver) ring. Almost.

Maybe you could talk to a jewler to see if there's some way to attach "gold" to it. Up it's value before resale.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #59
IronLantern

Quote:

Another Sinestro ring but this one is sterling silver. I bought it second hand from a guy who needed moving money so I have no idea who the actual maker of it is. The face originally had yellow paint all around the symbol, but it looked bad so I removed it. I haven't decided what to put in it's place yet, if I even will.

Another problem I did not see coming is, it's size 14 and I wear a size 10. So it might just find it's way to the trading forum someday if I can find a more my size sinestro ring to replace it.
Beautiful ring! And I am actually am size 14...

Seriously, I have huge freaking hands.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #60
General Lee
Fatality's Blacksmith

"You can see I wear my ring all the time. It's one of the real ones, not these toys you guys play with."

Is the King of Cats there is none higher,
Sucker felines they call him SIRE!
To destroy his buzz you must use fire,
He won't stop drinkin till he expires!
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #61
Caleb Lancaster
The Time Traveler

This makes me feel infferior in my plastic Rings. I saw a bowl of them on a Convention Floor. So I took the Bowl.
Caleb Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #62
Parallax_Corps

Damn all those rings shown are awesome, if anyone of you makes them like pancakes pm me I'd be interested in obtaining some.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #63
Jack T. Chance
Really knows where his towel is!

Location: The Planet Garnet, AKA "Hellhole", Space Sector 0017
Exclamation

Quote:

Since it's sterling silver, any good jeweler should be able to size it down for you, for a modest fee.

Funny story, true story... my 14K gold yellow power ring was shipped to me as my standard size 10, but due to how thin the band is in the area where it goes under my finger, and probably also due to it having a hollow back, it was very loose. So, I had to have it resized down to a size 9 to get it to fit properly. Only ring I've had to do that with.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #64
Limelantern

It also has Sinestro Corps engraved on the inner band, do you think resizing would screw that up?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #65
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
It also has Sinestro Corps engraved on the inner band, do you think resizing would screw that up?
Probably, depending on where it's engraved and how much of the inside of the band the engraving takes up. Resizing a ring to make it smaller means cutting a section out of the band and welding the band back together. If the engraving covers a small enough portion of the band, a good jeweler might be able to resize it without interfering with the engraving. Best to visit a jeweler that can resize silver rings, and ask them for their professional opinion.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #66
TorchBearer
Fatality's Blacksmith

My Profile pic at the this moment is with my GL ring. A jewler from the states made it, some might know him as coldfuel. Its silver with a green enamel backing. An Ex of mine actually is a jewler and I been tempted to see if he could make me a new one in the blue lantern symbol...if they can I will post them
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #67
Limelantern

Is it this ring?

Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #68
Aberration
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

I'm curious, has anyone dealt with this guy before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220312064313

I've seen his listings on eBay for awhile now, but I can't remember anyone here mentioning him.
Aberration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #69
Limelantern

I have one of them in my first pic over with the other metal rings.

I bought it from him last March. It's not too bad, the lime green stuff around the symbol is some type of soft rubbery type of material. I'm not too sure what it is. (it's why I called it my Limelantern ring) But overall it's an okay hollow backed ring. It took a little over a month for it to get to me though but communication was always quick.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 AM   #70
Aberration
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Ahhh, thanks, I see it now. That's weird to hear that the green stuff is rubber, I suppose it's durable though. I'll have to think it over.
Aberration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #71
IronLantern

Quote:

Wow. I f I could ever track one of these down in my size I would wear that daily. Thats really cool.

Quote:
Is it this ring?

Also really cool. Thats another one I'd wear daily.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #72
IronLantern

Thumbs up

If anyone feels like it, and this guy ever comes through, could someone do me a HUGE favor and order me some rings from this guy?

I've been trying to register to register for 5 months, but its still closed to new members.

-----

Mod Edit: Link removed upon request.

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 02-12-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #73
Jack T. Chance

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLantern View Post
If anyone feels like it, and this guy ever comes through, could someone do me a HUGE favor and order me some rings from this guy?

*Link deleted to protect seller from Imperial spies!*

I've been trying to register to register for 5 months, but its still closed to new members.
2 things:
  1. They only open up the registration about twice a year, and for only a couple weeks at a time. They do it intentionally and for reasons which they explain in their Technical Questions and Support Forum (check out any threads about registration, and read ALL the posts if you want to read their reasons.) You need to check back at least once every week or 2 if you want to join, so you can catch open registration when they're running it. You just missed your most recent chance about a month ago.
  2. STOP POSTING LINKS TO THAT THREAD!!! Seriously, don't do it! I WILL be asking the Mods to remove any and all links to it, because DC and/or Warner Bros. have their Imperial spies out, looking for projects like this so they can issue Cease & Desist orders to the makers of the rings, which is not cool for us, as fans. The only people who should know about this project going forward are people who are members of that message board, and the members here that already know about it. Don't even mention the name of that messageboard as the place where you can find these rings, or the Imperial spies will be led right to it! I've been thinking about picking up extras for non-members, IF money permits, but I absolutely WILL NOT do it for someone that's going around telling everyone and their brother about this project all over the interwebz! This project needs to remain COMPLETELY underground and off the radar if we're to get our rings.
'Nuff said!

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 02-12-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Jack T. Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #74
IronLantern

fine, i give up
Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #75
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
I'm curious, has anyone dealt with this guy before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220312064313

I've seen his listings on eBay for awhile now, but I can't remember anyone here mentioning him.
not that i know of...

i can't tell you much about the dealer... but i can tell you a lot about the photo of the ring he posted...

firstly, the photo isn't real... it's been severely photoshopped... not really advanced stuff either, very basic stuff here...

this is the original picture from the vender on Ebay...

and here are the bits that worry me...

Ok, lets deal with the shine first... piece of piss to replicate using a standard camera flare tool...

yup, that's the one... it's a movie prime filter around 10 to 15%... used to give 'tarnished metal' a shine...

ok, on to the actual green of the ring... definitely not real...

it's been recoloured and then have a glass bevel placed on it to give it shine, thickness and depth...

reasoning... hell if i know, but the photo wasn't even edited that well, as you can tell under a high zoom with a detection algerithm placed over...

you can actually see where he has selected the 'base' of the ring and left the silver outline of the logo to shine in metal... not very smooth selecting either, very jumpy with straight edges all over the circle...

overall, i wouldn't trust my money to go to someone who feels the need to actually 'fake' their merchandize photographs, just to make them look better...

Methos, the fake detective

M