The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1
View Poll Results: Alan Scott: The Ongoing Series... would you buy it?
Yes 25 71.43%
No 3 8.57%
JSA is enough Alan Scott for me 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Alan Scott: The Ongoing Series... would you buy it?

Just out of idle curiosity. Let's take it to the polls.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
PowerRingE3

I'd vote twice if i could, his time in limbo really take time that his charater could be built better, even though has charater is already monsterous
Old 07-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

I would buy it, of course, though I will say -- at the risk of being crucified by die-hard Scott fans -- the best time for it would have been during the 90s, when he was modernized. Not necessarily when he became "Sentinel," but immediately before it in the Showcase issue where he de-aged, still carried a ring, and still had a (huge!) GL symbol on him.

Somewhere in all of that -- and I honestly think they were testing the waters for one with the later "Hearts of Darkness" and "Hell's Abyss" specials/minis -- lies an ongoing series.

Nowadays we have an Alan Scott with a ring again (for no explainable reason, since his powers are internalized last we heard) in his olllld costume (for no explicable reason other than nostalgia), and re-aged to the stature of that of a middle-aged man (also for no good reason, other than that's the age Alan wants to be, since we learned he can control his appearance last we heard).

It's like they gave up trying to bring Alan into the modern age (probably rightly so, with a 15 year editorial tug-of-war making a mess of his character), so they just said (maybe oversimplifying things here), "Hey kids, Alan was the first Green Lantern. Here he is, warts and all" and that's just the end of it.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
PowerRingE3

Oh yea, after GLC quarterly would of been it. It could still be a hit if they give him good stories, good criminals, and some what of a back story because of all the run around
Old 07-21-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

The whole "Sentinel" angle introduced the idea that he would then primarily be facing baddies of a more supernatural nature (ghosts, ghouls, that sort of thing) rather than the common criminals he used to face as a normal GL (which was overkill anyway).
Old 07-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The whole "Sentinel" angle introduced the idea that he would then primarily be facing baddies of a more supernatural nature (ghosts, ghouls, that sort of thing) rather than the common criminals he used to face as a normal GL (which was overkill anyway).
Thats were it gets hard because i like the sentinel deal but i also like the common man's GL too, it hard to balance and i thinks thats why we get bad stories because they don't know how to balance it(if you can even balance it)
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

I would buy it becasue it would be a Green Lantern title...

Would I read it as it came out?
No... I would probably read them all at once at the end of each year when there are no other comics to read.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
genesistorm

Quote:
I would buy it, of course, though I will say -- at the risk of being crucified by die-hard Scott fans -- the best time for it would have been during the 90s, when he was modernized. Not necessarily when he became "Sentinel," but immediately before it in the Showcase issue where he de-aged, still carried a ring, and still had a (huge!) GL symbol on him.
I voted yes. And especially if our "demmands" were met.
The ones you posted up there, exactly.
Maybe die hard Alan fans will crucify me too?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #9
ringslinger74

I said yes. But I would want him pretty much the way he is now. That JSA: Classified issue staring him was great and I honestly never liked the Sentinal thing to much. After reading Christopher Priests (that's James Owsley to the rest of you!!) "Sleeper book 2" novel with Alan, I am completely convinced he could carrie a series. Especially since I can't bring myself to buy JSoA because the art makes me retch. I would love to buy an Alan book. I'd like it to be more grounded then the regular GL and GLC books though. Less intergalactic Sci-Fi and more street level super crime fighting stuff. Yep...I'm in.

-Erik
Old 07-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #10
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringslinger74 View Post
I said yes. But I would want him pretty much the way he is now. That JSA: Classified issue staring him was great and I honestly never liked the Sentinal thing to much. After reading Christopher Priests (that's James Owsley to the rest of you!!) "Sleeper book 2" novel with Alan, I am completely convinced he could carrie a series. Especially since I can't bring myself to buy JSoA because the art makes me retch. I would love to buy an Alan book. I'd like it to be more grounded then the regular GL and GLC books though. Less intergalactic Sci-Fi and more street level super crime fighting stuff. Yep...I'm in.

-Erik
That JSA Classified was amazing, that is who Alan is and its great
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:37 AM   #11
PowerRingE3

Quote:

-Erik
yea, people say tha criminal thing is played out but thats who Alan is, he's not really some cosmic guy, and the sentinal had its prepose and its over, so
get back to basics.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #12
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

I'm torn on the subject. While I like Alan as a character and what he is, I'm not sure he would carry my interest past the first few issues. If he was portrayed as simply a guy with a ring who fights criminals, then no. If he was to investigate the paranormal and have "The Messengers" meets "Polergiest" adventures, whilst batteling demons, zombies (Grundy!) and vampires, then yes!

And no, I wouldn't want Geoff writing it. He writes too damn many books as it is.... let some other clever writer do it!

Last edited by Lord Malvolio; 07-22-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:33 AM   #13
Left Handed Lantern

Alan was a principled individual before he was a Green Lantern and his vast power doesn't eclipse that when he has been handled correctly. This was well done in his brief Checkmate stint (Mister Terrific's predecessor as the White King.) The appearance of age, the costume and the materialization of a ring on his left hand are the effect of his will upon his self image. Alan is, in every sense, a "self-made man."
Old 07-22-2007, 02:43 AM   #14
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
I'm torn on the subject. While I like Alan as a character and what he is, I'm not sure he would carry my interest past the first few issues. If he was portrayed as simply a guy with a ring who fights criminals, then no. If he was to investigate the paranormal and have "The Messengers" meets "Polergiest" adventures, whilst batteling demons, zombies (Grundy!) and vampires, then yes!

And no, I wouldn't want Geoff writing it. He writes too damn many books as it is.... let some other clever writer do it!
I think a combo of criminals and paranormal would do it. but it has to be balanced, no more, no less.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:02 AM   #15
ringslinger74

I'm not saying that I would want him to bust up Mafia stuff or anything. I was thinking more like Super-Villians who have less then cosmic goals. Kinda like Flash's Rogues gallery. Use villians like:
Grundy
Vandal Savage
Hecter Hammond
Harlequin (maybe a new recurring villian)
Neron
Roulette
Ultra Humanite
Stuff like that...as well as some Mafia stuff here and there. Mr. Bones and the DEO could be recurring cast members as well as Obsidian and the rest of the JSA. I totally think it could work.

-Erik
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 AM   #16
PowerRingE3

Quote:
I'm not saying that I would want him to bust up Mafia stuff or anything. I was thinking more like Super-Villians who have less then cosmic goals. Kinda like Flash's Rogues gallery. Use villians like:
Grundy
Vandal Savage
Hecter Hammond
Harlequin (maybe a new recurring villian)
Neron
Roulette
Ultra Humanite
Stuff like that...as well as some Mafia stuff here and there. Mr. Bones and the DEO could be recurring cast members as well as Obsidian and the rest of the JSA. I totally think it could work.

-Erik
That's the Ticket...
Old 07-22-2007, 03:35 AM   #17
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

Is it me or do some of you feel like there was a plot line lost in Rebirth, where Alan started getting all weak?

I was kind of hoping they would make him a regular GL.

I started reading comics around the time of the first Crisis. So I really had no idea who Alan was when he was introduced back at the end of Armageddon.

I know there's some die hard Alan fans but I don't get why he can't be another regular GL (other than his past history) the same way I don't get why most people dig Marvel over DC.
lanternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #18
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanternut View Post
Is it me or do some of you feel like there was a plot line lost in Rebirth, where Alan started getting all weak?

I was kind of hoping they would make him a regular GL.

I started reading comics around the time of the first Crisis. So I really had no idea who Alan was when he was introduced back at the end of Armageddon.

I know there's some die hard Alan fans but I don't get why he can't be another regular GL (other than his past history) the same way I don't get why most people dig Marvel over DC.
Cool, another post crisis fan, i seen a Alan Scott card and learned about him, yea marvel suck but the movies ain't to bad.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 AM   #19
glkilowog

Yes, if they took the whole Starheart out and made him a regular GL.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #20
ringslinger74

There was indeed some stuff lost in Rebirth regarding Alan and Jade. Nothing major though. They were going to have a larger part in the mini according to the original plot/scripts that are printed in the Rebirth Hardcover.

I don't think Alan should EVER be just another GL. I like that he's different but the same. I don't want him being beholden to the Gaurdians.

-Erik
Old 07-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
PowerRingE3

Quote:
There was indeed some stuff lost in Rebirth regarding Alan and Jade. Nothing major though. They were going to have a larger part in the mini according to the original plot/scripts that are printed in the Rebirth Hardcover.

I don't think Alan should EVER be just another GL. I like that he's different but the same. I don't want him being beholden to the Gaurdians.

-Erik
I totally agree, i feel the same about kyle(most people don't) but there is enough GL soldiers, time for some original thinkers.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
I totally agree, i feel the same about kyle(most people don't) but there is enough GL soldiers, time for some original thinkers.
I think I get what you're saying, but it's a little bit demeaning to the characters to insinuate being part of the Corps means you're not an original thinker. I mean, yeah, you've got Smurfs telling you what to do from time to time (I'm not a fan of their needless resurrection... Ganthet around should have been enough), but you're pretty much flying solo.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #23
PowerRingE3

Quote:
I think I get what you're saying, but it's a little bit demeaning to the characters to insinuate being part of the Corps means you're not an original thinker. I mean, yeah, you've got Smurfs telling you what to do from time to time (I'm not a fan of their needless resurrection... Ganthet around should have been enough), but you're pretty much flying solo.
Thats true but as long as Kyles in the corps theres that Hal/Kyle beef among fans and in order to get the best Kyle charater he needs creative stories but GLC makes him a back burner charater, I'm not sayin put him out the corps I'm just sayin if they give him the respect Hal gets and they'll get the best of the charater IMO.

Last edited by PowerRingE3; 08-03-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #24
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I would at least give it a try. I have enjoyed reading about him in the past. However, to be honest my main GL interest is tied to the whole GLC mythos, and an Alan Scott series that was COMPLETELY separated from all the other GLs would need to be top notch to keep me interested in the long run.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #25
PowerRingE3

yea, i think it all comes down to if your a fan of the charater because he is a separate entity from the corps. I'm a Alan Scott fan so i would probably like it but a regular GL fan might not.