The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 5
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 5
View Poll Results: Justice League: Darkside War - Green Lantern
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 2 15.38%
**** 4 30.77%
***** 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Justice League: Darkseid War - Green Lantern #1 *Preview/Spoilers*

Justice League: Darkseid War - Green Lantern #1 Preview
Writer: Tom King
Artist: Evan Shaker

Last edited by Hypo; 11-09-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
IonFan
Forum Member

oh yeah this is the one tie-in i've been waiting for, finally we get to see a Hal worth supporting

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

So, is the "no continuity" thing so strong that this sort of stuff will NOT have a reset button at the end of the story? Or is there enough of a nod to continuity that characters that are killed in this story need to be brought back before the end if they aren't dead elsewhere?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
IonFan
Forum Member

i'm sure they'll "get better" at the end of the story. h@ll it maybe the 1st thing GOD-Hal does ( what's the point of becoming a god if you can't fix things)

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 11-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Mister Ed

Heh, so it'll be an attempt to paint Hal as another pre-Rebirth Parallax, who is simply corrupted by power, not some foreign entity?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
So, is the "no continuity" thing so strong that this sort of stuff will NOT have a reset button at the end of the story? Or is there enough of a nod to continuity that characters that are killed in this story need to be brought back before the end if they aren't dead elsewhere?
Are you reading Darkseid War?
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
Are you reading Darkseid War?
Yes, and that's why I ask. Darksied War is very clearly divorced from current DCU continuity (such as it is). I was just wondering if that divorce is complete enough that character deaths can stick in this story, or if stuff like that is destined for an in-story reset button like it would be if this had ANY connection to a larger continuity.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Yes, and that's why I ask. Darksied War is very clearly divorced from current DCU continuity (such as it is). I was just wondering if that divorce is complete enough that character deaths can stick in this story, or if stuff like that is destined for an in-story reset button like it would be if this had ANY connection to a larger continuity.
I'm pretty sure none of the characters will die, after Darkseid War, JL will catch up to current continuity per Johns.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #9
Mister Ed

Quote:
I'm pretty sure none of the characters will die, after Darkseid War, JL will catch up to current continuity per Johns.
I'm not sure "catch up" is the right term. It isn't just behind, it is completely impossible.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
I'm not sure "catch up" is the right term. It isn't just behind, it is completely impossible.
How so?

Anyways I will be picking this up for the art since Shaner did such a great job on Convergence: Shazam. Not really expecting much from the story since the Batman tie-in was mostly fluff and the previews for the Superman/Flash ones didn't look like anything special.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #11
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
i'm sure they'll "get better" at the end of the story. h@ll it maybe the 1st thing GOD-Hal does ( what's the point of becoming a god if you can't fix things)
Quote:
Heh, so it'll be an attempt to paint Hal as another pre-Rebirth Parallax, who is simply corrupted by power, not some foreign entity?
Quote:
Given that The Flash is all Black Racer-fied at the moment any deaths that occur during the story will no doubt be reversed via the obvious escape hatch.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #12
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Steve Orlando and Tom King Discuss Shazam and Green Lantern 'Darkseid War' One-Shots
Quote:
CV: What's going on in this story?

TOM KING: When Darkseid died all these parademons they fled the planet and they were attracted to the most powerful planet around and that was Oa, the home of the Grene Lantern Corps. They terraform it. They kill all the Green Lanterns. They kill John Stewart, Kilowog, Tomar Re. They're looking for the energy on the planet and they realize that the Green Lanterns' willforce is without precognition without consciousness, so they need a god to guide their new way. They literally need to find new gods and that's when Hal Jordan arrives. It's about Hal Jordan making a choice whether or not to become a god. It's a 22-page character piece about that decision and who Hal Jordan is and what it means to be a god and what that means to him as a person. It also deals with faith and other issues.

CV: That's a big thing you explore in this issue. This does delve into faith within Hal's past, as a child. What can you tell us about that scene and putting it into this book?

KING: As a guy of mixed faith, I'm half-Jewish and half-Protistan and my wife is half-Jewish, half-Catholic, it was very nice to emphasize that Hal Jordan is mixed-faith, with is father being Jewish and his mother being Catholic. It was already hinted at a bunch of times, but I wanted to solidify that and what that means to a person and what God is and what God makes you do in the clash of your upbringing. It's a pretty deep issue for a super-hero book. We start out with Hal sort of being this character that's from two different religious traditions is being asked to create his own religious tradition.

CV: Within "Darkseid War," Hal has seen his friends get powers from the gods. Where's Hal's mindset during this? Does he have ill-feelings towards those close to him with all of this?

KING: Hal is the most fun character to write in the DC Universe and I say this as the guy who writes Dick Grayson. Hal is so confident and so cocky. To me, he's like Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek series. He's the guy who can look gods in the eyes and say "no." Hal is a pilot and every test pilot has a god complex. He already thinks he's a god, he's just missing the powers. To him, it's not as impressive as it is to everyone else. Hal's the only one that doesn't seem afraid to Batman. I feel that same way about the gods. He sees right through them. To him, it's not as a big of a deal as everyone else, and he sees more of the moral conundrums that come along with it.

CV: Current continuity Hal Jordan is in a very different place than the Hal Jordan we see in JUSTICE LEAGUE. How did the version we see come to be?

KING: I'm a huge fan of Robert Venditti is doing. He's a buddy of mine and helped me in the industry. People should read GREEN LANTERN now. It's brilliant and beautiful. Basically when I came to the project, Geoff Johns was the showrunner of this. I ask Geoff which Green Lantern fits into his story. He said, "This is the Green Lantern," and I just went with that. I think Hal Jordan in Venditti's run would be just as fun to write. Those were just the parameters I was given and went from there. However, Doc Shaner draws his so classically here.
JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR - SHAZAM & GREEN LANTERN Get 'All-New, All-Different, All-Weird'
Quote:
Newsarama: Steve and Tom, once each of you realized what you were going to be dealing with these characters acting as gods how did you land upon how to handle it specific to your character, and the angle at which to approach this?

Tom King: When I think of Green Lantern, I think of, like, what makes Hal apart from a fun character to write there's this idea that, at the center of Hal and at the center of being a Green Lantern is free will, and then the idea of what will is the broad concept of will.

And then if you've spent anything thinking on religion, of course, God is also tied up with this idea of free will, and the idea if there's a huge being out there who controls everything and can see the future, what does it mean that we have responsibility for our actions and we have free will? What does it mean if he or she lets us have this will? Or doesn't?

So it seems such a natural connection to be, like, here's a character who's driven primarily by will dealing with the problem of becoming or not becoming a god, and what that means to his own will.

It wasn't one of those tough ideas to come up with. I was like, oh, there's just a natural connection there with God being so tied to free will.
Quote:
Nrama: Tom, with Green Lantern, the last thing we knew in the Justice League story was that Hal was running off to Oa because the parademons were headed that way. Do you deal with the Green Lantern characters and what exists on Oa?

King: Yeah, no, I kill them all off on the first two pages. So I deal with them in a big way, but I do it quickly. [Laughs.]

Yeah, as the series begins, after the death of Darkseid, the parademons are sort of looking for guidance and they find their way to the most powerful planet in the world. And they consume Oa. They kill all the Lanterns. The Lanterns have had a last stand and they lose.

But they're still looking for someone to guide them. They're literally looking for a god. And they find this willpower. But the willpower on Oa is completely unguided. It's up to the Lanterns. The green energy without the person is absolutely nothing.

So now they're looking for a person to be their New God. And that's when Hal Jordan lands within the chaos, and he gets the offer to be a god.

Nrama: It's also a very personal story for Hal too, isn't it? We get to look at Hal from a couple different angles through his past.

King: Yeah. Anytime we're dealing with someone's decision of, you know, whether to take on a decision to emerge as a god, it's obviously a very personal decision. So it's going to go right back to who he is as a person, as a man, and his history and what shaped him. I think we sort of had to address that and had to go right at it.

There's so much that makes Hal Jordan an awesome character. I just wanted to bring some of that out as I was writing.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
How so?
Mainly because there is no point in continuity that Hal's appearance in this series, as he is, would have been possible.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #14
Space Cop
The Dandy

I remember Hal celebrating Hanukkah in the cartoon, but besides that, what are all these clues that Hal's dad was Jewish? I'm usually pretty quick to spot even minor details about a character's religious background (side effect of having been a theology grad student) and I don't recall them in the comic.

Oh, and way to go ComicVine in misspelling "Protestant." Such an obscure, new word.

EDIT: Actually, the comic says the opposite: mom Jewish, dad Catholic.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-11-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #15
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
My understanding from the interviews I've read is that this *does* take place within the world of all the other titles, the only thing they're not going to worry about is the timing of when exactly it takes place, even if it doesn't "fit" at all. So YES, a death would have repercussions and be canon. (for as long as anything lasts these days)
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
My understanding from the interviews I've read is that this *does* take place within the world of all the other titles, the only thing they're not going to worry about is the timing of when exactly it takes place, even if it doesn't "fit" at all. So YES, a death would have repercussions and be canon. (for as long as anything lasts these days)
Well, given that it seems like a ton of characters die in the first few pages of this that are NOT dead elsewhere, either it DOESN'T have repercussions, whatever they say, or the deaths will all be undone by the end.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Well, given that it seems like a ton of characters die in the first few pages of this that are NOT dead elsewhere, either it DOESN'T have repercussions, whatever they say, or the deaths will all be undone by the end.
You need to read the issue.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #18
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Right.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #19
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Will I enjoy it? I presume it will tell me which of my two options listed above applies.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #20
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Will I enjoy it?
Yes, Tom King should be writing the GL.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #21
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Will I enjoy it? I presume it will tell me which of my two options listed above applies.
I think so, I certainly did. It's one in done tie-in to an event so the plot isn't exactly the most complex but I thought the characterization of Hal was spot on and the art was good.

Quote:
Yes, Tom King should be writing the GL.
Yea, I'd take King/Shaner over Venditti/Tan on Green Lantern any day of the week.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:06 AM   #22
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Seriously though Shaner should do more GL work:

Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 AM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I think so, I certainly did. It's one in done tie-in to an event so the plot isn't exactly the most complex but I thought the characterization of Hal was spot on and the art was good.
Quote:
I hate to just say yes or no. It was a pretty good issue; more philosophical and esoteric than action (centered around the concept of what Hal would do with the power of a god), although there's plenty of fighting. I doubt you'll concur with Hal's understanding of God and will, but like Hypo said it was very Hal. And certainly the art was a welcome break from Tan.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 AM   #24
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

While I enjoyed this issue, in the end it didn't really go anywhere or have any long lasting result. Art was great, and I liked the idea of a Mother Ring, God-Hal had a wicked costume as well.

Poll added
4/5

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Last edited by Maverick_GL; 11-12-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #25
IonFan
Forum Member

4*, did i like it yes BUT i could of used more fighting, more GOD-Hal and less young Hal being mad at what happened to his dad plus less young Hal talking to GOD-Hal (cause i saw that coming a mile away )

IonFan says

Quote: