The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Avengers 3 Could Be Split Into Two Movies

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #27
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

How The Producers of SUPERMAN Made It Unlikely That AVENGERS 3 Will Be Made Into Two Movies

Quote:
A site known as "The Daily Marvelite," which I've never heard of, claims that Avengers 3 is so massive it has to be split into two films. There's one immediate problem with this rumor - they haven't even finished editing Avengers: Age of Ultron yet, so I kind of doubt Marvel has anything set in stone for the next film, especially with Phase Three about to introduce a ton of new characters. Marvel will want to see how audiences react to Ant-Man and Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel before they make big decisions about what's next. But there's another major problem with this rumor: the Salkind Clause.

You know Ilya Salkind as the man who produced Superman: The Movie, but his biggest legacy may be with the Screen Actor's Guild. Salkind produced The Three Musketeers, directed by Richard Lester and starring a killer cast that included Oliver Reed, Charlton Heston, Raquel Welch and Faye Dunaway. The script was big - it was considered to possibly be a four hour movie - but during post-production it was decided to cut the film in half, releasing The Four Musketeers the very next year. This incensed the actors, who found themselves starring in two movies but only being paid for one, and lawsuits were filed. Eventually the Screen Actors Guild included new language in the standard actor contract, known as the Salkind Clause, which says the actors must know how many movies they're making when they sign up - ie, you can't just use all their extra footage to make another movie without paying them for another movie.

The Salkind Clause becomes important because Avengers 3 will mark the contractual end of the line for both Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans; Evans will have finished his sixth Marvel film, and Downey renegotiated his contract to carry him through Avengers 3. Marvel cannot simply shoot a lot with these guys and then split the movie in two - they would need to renegotiate their contracts to split Avengers 3 in half, and that would mean that Evans and Downey would straight up have the studio over the barrel.

Of course there's precedent for such renegotiations. Warner Bros recently had to do it with the cast of The Hobbit films when they went from two movies to three. It could be done, if Marvel decided to stop being cheap and to start paying out big time - but Evans would certainly demand a payday equal to Downey, who netted over $50 million for The Avengers.

But even if Marvel is willing to deal with the Salkind Clause, the 'splitting in two' thing makes no creative sense. That's just two movies, not one movie split in two. While the next Avengers will certainly have a title from a comic book, it's unlikely to be a straight adaptation, as none of the Marvel films have yet been straight retellings of comic stories. This isn't like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where they took the existing material and used it for two films - just tell your story in one film!

All of this said, anything is possible. A big full-universe crossover movie post-Avengers 3 could be the film that beats Avatar at the all-time box office. It could once again redefine the franchise movie model. If Marvel goes that way, all the hardball renegotiations might be worth it.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:30 PM   #28
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

MILES TELLER Says FANTASTIC FOUR Reboot Avoiding 'Kitschy, Overly Comic-Book World'

Quote:
Did you like the mid-2000s Fantastic Four movie? If so, you may not like next year’s reboot.

Miles Teller, who will be playing Reed Richards in the 2015 Fantastic Four, is quoted in an interview with Vulture.com saying that this new film is “different in every way” from the relatively poorly-reviewed 2005 and 2007 movies that preceded it.

“All those actors were a lot older, their characters were in different places,” Teller told Vulture’s Sean Fitz-Gerald, while at a screening for his new film Whiplash. “The tone of this film is completely different: We don’t have Michael Chiklis in a big Styrofoam thing, and I think that [a more grounded approach] is what people are into — X-Men: First Class is doing that. You’re dealing with these characters but you’re making them real people in how they exist day-to-day. People wanted it to be taken more seriously than the kind of Dick Tracy, kitschy, overly comic-book world.”

Fantastic Four, which is directed by Josh Trank, is scheduled for release on August 7, 2015 – the same equivalent spot in the movie calendar as this year’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Teller brought up that major league Marvel hit in the interview, citing its success to the “fresh take” it had; something he hopes his entry into the superhero movie genre will have as well.

“At the end of the day, it depends on the product. Guardians of the Galaxy was a really fresh take on it, I think people responded to that,” Teller explained. “In terms of where we are in the schedule, we’re playing the same weekend they were playing. But it’s a big summer: You’ve got Avengers, and my buddy [Whiplash co-star J.K. Simmons] is in Terminator, and you got Jurassic World. There’s a ton of movies out there, so if people have an appetite for it, they’ll see a couple, and if not, maybe they’ll just see one.”
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #29
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Did you like the mid-2000s Fantastic Four movie? If so, you may not like next year’s reboot.
At this point I'm beginning to wonder who IS expected to like it.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #30
Fearless
Agent Orange

Old 09-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #31
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Weird that he quotes First Class as a comparison, that movie was very ungrounded.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #32
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Bleedingcool says Gamora is getting a solo title

Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #33
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I just want to see the first trailer for Trank's Fantastic Four. I just hope the entire film is not "found footage."

Gamora getting a solo film before Black Widow is just wrong. Moreover, there should be a Captain Marvel film before Gamora.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #34
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Gamora getting a solo film before Black Widow is just wrong.
I was just thinking the same thing. The only reason that would really make sense to me is if Scarlet Johansson didn't WANT to do a Black Widow solo film. I've no idea whether that is true or not, though.

Maybe they figure people will still want a Black Widow movie whenever they get around to it, but that the current popularity of Guardians of the Galaxy has opened a limited window where a Gamora movie might work?
Old 10-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #35
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Not a movie guys, a comic book
That's why I said title

Old 10-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #36
W.West

I knew when I kept scrolling that someone would think its movie news. This is why we have the Cosmic thread Booster. lol
Old 10-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #37
TazzMission
Banned

[QUOTE=Darth_Primus;
Gamora getting a solo film before Black Widow is just wrong. [/QUOTE]

uh no its not. a spinoff of gamora can be great actually expecially being raised by thanos and all.

im game for a mrs marvel film but with the huge success of gotg a gamora film would be a awesome thing since everyone loved gotg.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #38
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

It's not a movie.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #39
W.West

I can't see a Gamora solo book doing all that well either.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #40
W.West

Black Widow #13 cover. Noto is amazing.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #41
W.West

Ethan Hawke Latest Actor Rumored For ‘Doctor Strange’

Quote:
When last we left the role of Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange, Joaquin Phoenix was in “final talks.” That was in late August, but Marvel has yet to make an official announcement about the casting. So we wait. Now, a new name is in the mix, reportedly contacted after Joaquin Phoenix wouldn’t make things final. That name is Ethan Hawke, the star most recently seen in Boyhood.

Hawke starred in director Scott Derrickson‘s 2012 hit, Sinister, so he has a relationship with the director. He also has that wise gravitas needed for the role. But is this real? We explore the Ethan Hawke Doctor Strange rumor after the jump.

The news came from the site This is Infamous, which isn’t exactly Variety, but the writer seems confident:

Ethan Hawke is their new guy, having offered him the role on Friday. I hear Hawke accepted the job over the weekend, and things have quickly progressed into contract talks, with a six-picture deal being what Marvel is hoping to lock him into.

Is this true? It certainly sound plausible. Hawke would actually be pretty fantastic casting, he’s comfortable with the director, and he’s not as uunpredictable as Phoenix, an actor who prides himself on more creative choices. That’s not to say Hawke isn’t a creative, talented actor, he’s just never been one to turn down a fun role for a paycheck. This is the man who starred in Getaway with Selena Gomez last year, after all. But he also filmed Boyhood for 12 years so, basically, he can do anything.

There’s also the possibility this news is just being floated out there to put pressure on Phoenix’s camp. A negotiation tactic by Marvel to say “If we don’t settle this, we have other options.” Or maybe it’s totally fabricated. Marvel Studios keeps things like this under their hat until the time is right.

Either way, Doctor Strange is set to start shooting next year aimed at a Summer 2016 release date. What do you think of Ethan Hawke in the role of Doctor Strange?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #42
TazzMission
Banned

i like that idea but i think marvel already has someone signed. i mean there shooting next year right? so it wouldnt shock me if they have there cast already
Old 10-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
TazzMission
Banned

Jeremy Renner Signed On For ‘The Avengers 3′ & ‘Hawkeye’ Spinoff

source

http://screenrant.com/jeremy-renner-...witter#!b6ZHQB
Old 10-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #44
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
Not a movie guys, a comic book
That's why I said title
Well, that's what I get for glancing at things. I think the Gamora title won't make it past 15 issues.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #45
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Well, that's what I get for glancing at things. I think the Gamora title won't make it past 15 issues.
It wouldn't make it past seven.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #46
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I'd rather see Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver become a title after Age of Ultron introduces them to the world in proper form [cause DOFP just didn't do it]. Not sure either one of them could carry a solo title, but the two could probably co-star in a book and at the very least it'd be entertaining. Could tie into both the Avengers and X-Men titles both...

~KL~
Old 10-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #47
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
I'd rather see Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver become a title after Age of Ultron introduces them to the world in proper form [cause DOFP just didn't do it]. Not sure either one of them could carry a solo title, but the two could probably co-star in a book and at the very least it'd be entertaining. Could tie into both the Avengers and X-Men titles both...

~KL~
they cant work as solo movies but how would a team up even work? im not being a dick im just wondering because if marvel cant use magneto being there father than how can the story be interesting?

i mean hey depending what i see from them in avengers i may be all for such a flick but i cant even begin to think of how to write a story for such a team up flick with those two.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #48
Mister Ed

Uh, oh, it happened again. I think he was talking about a comic book, not a movie.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #49
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Agreed. Apparently none of us can read.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 PM   #50
Mister Ed

Yeah, I'm certainly not going to point fingers, since I got in on the last case.