The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #26
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Stan Lee Media fires back at Disney in fight over Spider-Man
Quote:
Fighting an effort to end its persistent claims to Spider-Man, the tenacious Stan Lee Media Inc. insists it’s up to Disney to prove ownership of the Marvel superhero.

In documents filed Tuesday in federal court in Philadelphia, the failed dot-com again argued that none of the previous cases over the past decade — and there have been many — has directly addressed the merits of its ownership claims. “No judge has decided that Disney actually owns the Spider‐Man copyrights or, for that matter, that SLMI does not own the copyrights,” the papers state. “[...] That issue has never been decided, and Disney has now placed it directly before the court in this case.”

“This case” is a copyright- and trademark-infringement involving the use of elements from Spider-Man, Mary Poppins and The Lion King in a musical revue staged by the Lancaster, Pennsylvania-based American Music Theatre. What Disney’s lawyers thought would be “a simple case” took an unexpected turn in November when the theater responded that it had licensed Spider-Man, from Stan Lee Media, which was named in a third-party counterclaim (the license was obtained after Disney filed suit). That opened the door for the company, which no longer has a connection to Stan Lee, to sue Disney, seeking a jury trial regarding ownership of Spider-Man, and, presumably, the other Marvel characters it’s sought since emerging from bankruptcy in 2006.

Stan Lee Media’s claims hinge on a sequence of events that took place between August 1998, when Marvel terminated Stan Lee’s employment, and November 1998, when Lee entered into a new agreement with the House of Ideas and signed over his likeness, and any claims to the characters. Stan Lee Media has long insisted that on Oct. 15, 1998, Lee transferred to that company the rights to his creations and his likeness. SLMI asserted in a 2012 lawsuit that neither Marvel nor Disney, which bought the comic company in 2009, ever registered Lee’s November 1998 agreement with the U.S. Copyright Office. Therefore, SLMI argued, it actually own those Marvel characters.

Disney last month asked the judge to put an end to Stan Lee Media’s dogged pursuit of the property, arguing that not only have four federal courts precluded SLM from relitigating its ownership of the copyrights based on its 1998 agreement with Lee, but that SLM’s claims are barred by a three-year statute of limitations. In addition, Disney says, the company is an “administratively dissolved corporation that lacks the capacity to license.”

However, in Tuesday’s lengthy filing, which retraces the serpentine path of the dispute, Stan Lee Media insists prior litigation can’t prevent American Music Theatre, “and concomitantly SLMI, from defending itself by showing Disney’s assertion is wrong.” It also disputes the facts in Disney’s arguments concerning when the clock started on the statute of limitations as well as the company’s status as an “administratively dissolved corporation.”

The American Music Theatre also filed papers in opposition of Disney’s motion.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #27
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Man, for being a so-called dissolved company, their lawyers are doing some serious lawyering. That's saying a lot considering they're going up against some of the best lawyers in the world.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
Old 03-13-2014, 01:52 AM   #28
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

You know what, no court ever decided that I don't own Spider-Man. Anyone want to license the character for a musical?
Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #29
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I don't even bother reading copyright stories anymore. At this point I just assume that at some point the original creators signed over the rights and fucked themselves early.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 AM   #30
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
You know what, no court ever decided that I don't own Spider-Man. Anyone want to license the character for a musical?
Depends.

Is Spider-Man going to go the entire play sans any lower coverings? I'll allow booties, but that's all.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #31
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

You Won't Believe This ELEKTRA #1 First Look is Interior Art
Old 03-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #32
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Depends.

Is Spider-Man going to go the entire play sans any lower coverings? I'll allow booties, but that's all.
I like where this is going.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #33
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Hmm, it is very beautiful and definitely has peaked my interest. Some hyperbole on Newsarama's part though, gotta love link bait titles.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
IonFan
Forum Member

the cover looks like sh!t and the interior does nothing at all for me so i'll pass (just my 2 cents people)

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #35
W.West

How could you not like that cover?!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #36
IonFan
Forum Member

i just don't

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 03-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #37
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet cover. And the interior art is delicious, even if I can believe it is interior art

Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #38
Fearless
Agent Orange

My word... that is quite beautiful. Reminiscent of J.H. Williams' work on Batwoman, IMO.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #39
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

Looks great but then I don't like Elektra so I'm going to say meh.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #40
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

"CAPTAIN AMERICA 3" TO REPORTEDLY CHALLENGE "MAN OF STEEL 2" ON MAY 6, 2016
Quote:
Marvel Studios has had May 6, 2016 booked for an untitled project since June of last year, and on Thursday The Hollywood Reporter said that slot will be filled by a third "Captain America" film. That means Marvel's patriotic hero will find himself in a box office fight against DC's biggest icons, as the "Man of Steel" sequel -- featuring Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman -- is scheduled to open on the same date.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #41
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
I don't even bother reading copyright stories anymore. At this point I just assume that at some point the original creators signed over the rights and fucked themselves early.
This time, it isn't even about the original creators. Lee, Ditko and Kirby have nothing to do with the case. It's not the actual Stan Lee who sues Marvel, it's Stan Lee Media, a dotcom company that briefly worked with Stan the Man in the late nineties. They somehow got it in their heads that they bought all of the characters Stan co-created under work for hire conditions, back when they licensed his name for the company. It's completely absurd.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #42
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
My word... that is quite beautiful. Reminiscent of J.H. Williams' work on Batwoman, IMO.
It's the same (co-)writer.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #43
SocializingMogo
Corps Honor Guard

I definitely like the art.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #44
W.West

'X-Men Apocalypse' Is An '80s Period Piece, Will Feature Mass Destruction http://goo.gl/JpuoGB
Old 03-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

I actually really like that choice. It makes sense, in keeping with the world First Class created - going from the 60's, to 70's, to the 80's. I'd like to see more period pieces; I always thought a Superman movie set during the 30's-40's would make a great film.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #46
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

BleedingCool is saying 20th Century Fox is dropping the screenplay, the director AND the cast for Fantastic Four

Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #47
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

They must really want Marvel to have it back, then. Don't the rights revert to them again if another film isn't made in X years or some such?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #48
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Yeah, they must have zero faith in the film if that's true. It's not like the first two movies were the greatest of quality, and they made money.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #49
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
BleedingCool is saying 20th Century Fox is dropping the screenplay, the director AND the cast for Fantastic Four
ScreenCrush: ‘Fantastic Four’ Rumor Buster: Fox Has Fired the Director, Ditched the Script and Wants to Recast the Movie?
Quote:
UPDATE: For what it’s worth, we spoke to some high-level studio sources who flatly denied the below report and stated it’s “not at all” true. Filming is still scheduled to begin on April 21 and Trank himself is on set right now.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #50
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Oh, okay. Guess they do want to create a small cash cow for themselves after all.