The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #51
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, that's what I thought. Stark has the weakest place to hide of the Infinity Gems.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #52
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
True. However, I'm happy they're on the same team for now. The Avengers just aren't as good without them on the team. It's like having the JLA without their big three.
The New Avengers from 2007-2010, did fine without Cap, Thor, or Iron Man.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #53
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
Area 51 is in New Mexico............... Roswell New Mexico..................
Ummm no, it's a military base in Nevada, north of Las Vegas. Area 51
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #54
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotherion View Post
Ummm no, it's a military base in Nevada, north of Las Vegas. Area 51
Wait, REALLY!?!?!? I always thought that Area 51 ( the one with the Space Aliens) was always Roswell New Mexico, maybe that's the Area 51 Bendis is alluding to.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #55
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

There's a lot of conspiracy theories of UFOs and whatnot that were found at Roswell being stored at Area 51, but they are in fact two different places, hell they're not even in the same state. The lack of simple fact checking (just wiki it!) like this in comic books really annoys me.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #56
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
There's a lot of conspiracy theories of UFOs and whatnot that were found at Roswell being stored at Area 51, but they are in fact two different places, hell they're not even in the same state. The lack of simple fact checking (just wiki it!) like this in comic books really annoys me.
Or maybe in the Marvel Universe, Area 51 is in New Mexico.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #57
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Or maybe in the Marvel Universe, Area 51 is in New Mexico.
It's too late for your plausible explanations. I'm already mad.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #58
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
It's too late for your plausible explanations. I'm already mad.
Over a fictional reality, where Gods walk among men and monsters roam the earth? and your upset cause Area 51 isn't in the right place, but maybe in the MU could be in New Mexico. Excuse me while I laugh
Old 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #59
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

fanboy rage is by definition illogical.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #60
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Yeah, but it's not as good. New Avengers was good because they were an underground team, while The Mighty Avengers was so, so. Ms. Marvel was the only character on The Mighty Avengers I care about.

Quote:
fanboy rage is by definition illogical.
Tru dat!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #61
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
didnt Bucky take Caps ID during that??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #62
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Not for the entire period. It was over a year before Bucky wore the Capt America uniform. He was trying to find the true killer of Cap for months. It was after Tony Stark received a letter from Steve Rogers saying, "Save him."
Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #63
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

ok, but would U say he was Cap for the greater amount of time post-CW, about 1/2 the time........or less than that?

I kinda think it was a bit more than 1/2 personally.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #64
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Nick Spencer Reveals His Plans for Secret Avengers

Quote:
Newsarama: Nick, you were announced as coming on board Secret Avengers before your first Marvel comic had even come out ó pretty big assignment, huh?

Nick Spencer: I know, right? Not freaked out at all. [Laughs.]

Nrama: Youíre starting with the Point One issue in April, which was solicited before it was announced that youíd be sticking around on the book during the Fear Itself tie-in. Did you always know you would be doing more beyond the Point One?

Spencer: I did know. Tom [Brevoort] approached me with both in hand. I knew from day one that the Point One was just the beginning.

Nrama: So are you maybe following up on long-term plans that Ed had in place for the title, or just launching your own trajectory at this point?

Spencer: I know what the [Fear Itself] story is at this point, and have gotten to read some of Matt [Fraction]ís scripts on it. It is a huge, huge story that impacts basically all corners of the Marvel Universe. Basically, anything and everything everyone was fighting for before, theyíve had to drop what theyíre doing and move on to this. Thatís a big part of what Iím going to be reflecting in these stories.

When you have these huge, epic-scale event stories, sometimes when youíre doing tie-ins to that, it can feel a bit abrupt; that just suddenly, ďWeíre over here.Ē One of the first things that Iím trying to do is set it up so that you see thatís a part of the gravity of the situation ó that no matter what you were fighting for, this is bigger, this is more important. At least initially for the Secret Avengers, everything that theyíre fighting, everything theyíre looking at involves the story and the villains present in Fear Itself.

Nrama: Steve Rogers is one of the main characters of Fear Itself, so is it safe to assume this is tying in pretty closely?

Spencer: Yeah. I really wanted to do a story that was as close to the front lines of Fear Itself as humanly possible. I really wanted to do a story that felt like essential reading. If you were really excited and really into what Matt was doing in the main book, I really wanted what we were doing to feed on that, and I think that the three issues we have planned very much accomplish that. This isnít something where we took some small aspect of the event and then built a completely separate story around it.

To me, some of the best tie-in issues of anything were [Brian Michael] Bendisí tie-in issues to Civil War and Secret Invasion, and what he would do in the Avengers issues there ó that sort of chance to take an aspect of the big story and really give it more pages, and really show it from a particular characterís perspective. Thatís really what this Fear Itself arc is. As things are happening in Fear Itself, we are going to stop and take 20-something pages, and say, ďThis is how itís affecting this character,Ē who is in the midst of that. How theyíve been affected by it, what theyíre doing about it, and all that kind of thing.

Nrama: Getting to write these characters for the first time, especially Steve Rogers, must be a treat.

Spencer: Yeah! I especially got to deal with a lot of Steve in the Point One issue. The Point One issue is very much about Steve and some of these questions I had been asking myself about how his dynamic has changed post-Siege. To me one of the most fascinating things about Steve is, despite decades of existence as a character, this is really the first time that heís been a general in a war. Heís always been an on-the-field guy, and heís always been a symbol. Now heís in a role thatís been occupied by guys like Nick Fury, and Norman Osborn, and that is a very different kind of role, and itís a very different kind of job. Steve is finding himself confronted with questions and problems that are very different from what heís used to. Heís trying to hold to those values and those principles that have served him so well as Captain America, but at the same time now heís dealing in a world of covert operations, and espionage, and black-ops, and all these things that heís either not been a part of or had a very limited role in previously. Now heís the guy orchestrating them and engineering them. For a guy like Nick Fury, a guy whoís comfortable in the shadows and comfortable with the shades of grey, thatís one thing. But for a guy like Steve, who has such a strong moral fiber to him, this job is presenting him with a number of new headaches and new doubts.

I think heís trying to stay true to his ideals and do the right thing, but the interesting thing is this is not a job that Steve sought, itís not a job that he campaigned for. When the world was falling apart around him, basically the president came to him and asked him to do this. Itís something that we havenít gotten a chance to really talk about yet. For the Point One issue, I really wanted to do a nice, self-contained, done-in-one story that can stand on its own and could give you an overview of the team, what they do, and what theyíre about, but also just have sort of a satisfying beginning, middle and end within 22 pages. That was a real good opportunity to focus on that particular question about Steve.

Nrama: The solicitation for the Point One issue says that the ďsecretĒ of the Secret Avengers gets out.

Spencer: I donít know if this team has ever been completely in hiding. I think itís been more an issue that the main Avengers team is very much the public face of what Steve is trying to do, and the New Avengers sort of exists at the mansion and are allowed to do their own thing. The Secret Avengers have been something that Steve has kept close to the vest. While you could argue that they havenít been completely classified, one of the things thatís going to happen in this story is that heís going to be confronted with the propriety of having a team like this, and whether or not a team like this is really appropriate in an era where people are demanding more transparency and accountability from their government. Would everyone be comfortable with the idea of a team that answers to one person and works in the shadows? Is that something that they would be comfortable seeing as part of a national security plan? Thatís one of the questions that Steve will be confronted with us here.

The person that Steve is going to be facing in this issue, who is a new character that Iím very excited about personally, is going to be asking, ďIs this really the way to keep going?Ē It didnít work out so well when it was Nick Fury, it didnít work out so well when it was Tony Stark, it didnít work out so well when it was Norman Osborn. What makes you different? For all those guys good and bad, and whatever their intentions were ó and I think you could argue that in a lot of ways all of them had good intentions, even Norman Osborn, while he was deluded and a madman, believed he was doing the right thing ó this person is going to be asking Steve if heís really all that different.

Nrama: And it looks like the lineup is staying pretty constant for your issues, right?

Spencer: Yeah, I love the roster of the team. Going forward into the Fear Itself stories, I wanted to give some of those characters a chance to shine, and some issues that really focused on them. In the Fear Itself arc youíre going to see three of those characters really get some time: Beast, Valkyrie and Black Widow. At the same time, Ant-Man, and War Machine, and Moon Knight and Sharon [Carter] and Shang-Chi are all still part of the story, and still there, but these three issues Beast, Valkyrie and Black Widow are front and center, itís really their stories.

Nrama: When the Secret Avengers cast was first introduced last year, it seemed like the kind of lineup you would come up with as a kid ójust sticking together different cool characters from different corners of the Marvel Universe.

Spencer: I gotta be honest, itís my favorite Avengers lineup. I think that this team more than any other really does look exactly like that, it looks like that lineup that you put together when you were a kid. My favorite Avengers team when I was a kid was the team from the Evolutionary War annual [Avengers Annual #17] from way back when. That team had Beast, and Falcon, and Jocasta, and Hercules, and the Gray Hulk. I love those teams that donít maybe make perfect sense on paper, and those teams that seem like very disparate parts, and the Secret Avengers roster is right in line with that.

Nrama: And Scot Eaton is on art for both the Point One and the Fear Itself issues?

Spencer: He is a machine, man. He is a beast. Heís cranking out pages so fast itís terrifying. And they are gorgeous. This is some of his best work ever, and he is hitting it out of the park.
via Newsarama
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #65
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

ok, but would U say he was Cap for the greater amount of time post-CW, about 1/2 the time........or less than that?

I kinda think it was a bit more than 1/2 personally.

Tazer
I would say Bucky was Cap for less than half of the time, but it's growing more than half as time goes on.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #66
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

I have to admit I LOVE the Infinity Gems, the only custom I made myself is my Infinity Gauntlet. While I enjoy the story it is telling, I can't get into Bendis (I have even talked with the guy about the fact I can't get into his writing style) or JRJR (that sequence in the Danger Room looked awful). The story overall is fun but it feels really rushed, which is weird because normally I feel Bendis takes forever to get anywhere. The Hood has what three Gems so far and has had little to no resistance. When Thanos went after the gems it felt EPIC and it made the gauntlet seem so much more powerful, this time around not so much. The Illuminati should have done a better job hiding the gems even trying to hide the gems from the gems.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #67
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I would tend to agree the Gems should have been hidden better, especially by Stark and that there was a more epic feel with Thanos than The Hood. Additionally, I would prefer another artist over JRJR because his artwork of the characters is like the human versions of Volvos. But I am enjoying this Avengers adventure.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #68
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I would tend to agree the Gems should have been hidden better, especially by Stark and that there was a more epic feel with Thanos than The Hood. Additionally, I would prefer another artist over JRJR because his artwork of the characters is like the human versions of Volvos. But I am enjoying this Avengers adventure.
IIRC JRJR is only on for the first 12 issues, so you'll get your wish soon enough.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #69
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Do you know who will take over for JRJR?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #70
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Chris Bachalo is doing #13, but I don't know if he's only doing an issue or staying on for a long arc.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #71
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Thanks. I don't hate JRJR, but he's not my preferred artist.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #72
Spider-Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Bachalo is only doing two issues. Romita will be back on Avengers #15.
Spider-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #73
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I think one of the problems with JRJR's art on The Avengers is the inking, not his actual pencils.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #74
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Bachalo on Avengers? FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #75
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Lantern View Post
Bachalo is only doing two issues. Romita will be back on Avengers #15.
Weak. Is it just for #15 or is he starting another run?