The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Action Figures & Toys
FLASHCHAT

Action Figures and Toys

Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
Doc2814
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

Looks great. Too bad its upwards $200
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

It has a good likeness, but I bet it goes for a nice chunk of change.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #28
Doc2814
Banned

Like $180, no good. I want the new Marvel Select RDJ Tony Stark/Mark IV Iron Man, and it's listed as $45 in Toy Fare.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #29
Hellboy
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via MSN to Hellboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hellboy

1/6th was one of the main thrusts of my collection although I've had to take a breather in recent years. In any case, to be fair, you really do get your money's worth especially with Hot Toys. When I was buying the MMS DX Joker my mother kept ragging that I was spending $100+ on a toy and then she looked at the thing and she actually told me to get the Batman when it comes out as well

And thanks to BBTS, Urban Collector, and Showpiece, you can normally get most Hot Toys pieces well under retail. I got that Joker for $150 SHIPPED. I remember one place had the first John Connor for $120, I pre-ordered my DX Batman from Showpiece for $150 and I also got the Bank Robber from Showpiece for $150.

I would love a Black Widow and I'll certainly be on the prowl to see who has the lowest prices. Only problem is that at that point I'd be obligated to buy Iron Man as well =/
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #30
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, I've seen Hot Toys other figures and they'll pretty awesome. I still want to get Hot Toys' Silk Spectre.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #31
syntaxic

Figured I'd contribute with some video game related figures...

Starting out with Bioshock's Big Daddy from NECA:

This guy is awesome. The detail is fantastic and the figure is enormous. Thankfully, the does have a decent amount of articulation - shoulders, elbows, legs - but obviously he's not going to be doing yoga poses with that bulk. The tanks are removable, though, I can't really find a good reason why one would want to. There aren't many downsides to this guy other than some small accessories that can fall off. A simple dab of superglue fixes that problem quite easily though... All in all, I'd definitely recommend this figure, especially if you're a fan of the game.

Next up we'll look at some Resident Evil figures from various companies. First on the roster is NECA's Licker figure from the Resident Evil 10th Anniversary series:

I've always liked the Lickers. Since they're first appearance in RE2's police station, they've always struck me as just plain creepy enemies, with their exposed brains and prehensile tongues. This figure, however, is a little less impressive. Don't get me wrong, the level of detail if great... my main beef lies with the lack of articulation. The figure has very limited movement capabilities, basically just including swivel elbows, chest and legs. The downside here is that since the knees and ankles are locked, there is really only one position for him to be in. Sure... you can move the arms around a little, but over all, I would consider this a semi-poseable statue. I would suggest only if you're a huge fan of the game or the Licker in particular.

Sticking with NECA's 10 Anniversary figures, next up is the Tyrant:

This guy is TALL. Standing just shy of 10" he easily stands up to more C&C figures around these days. This guy is fantastic over all. He does have some of the same issues with articulation as the Licker, but as he's not as locked in a pose, the problems aren't as noticeable. Firstly, there are no leg joints. I am okay with this since the guy is so large, I can see joints there being an issue. Others may have an issue with it. The other joints are the chest, shoulders, head and... fingers? For some reason the figures on the claw hand swivel, which is a bizarre choice. The detail on this guy is fairly awesome with the exposed heart being made out of semi-transparent plastic. He's definitely my favorite from this toy line.

Next up is Capcom's William Birkin 3G/4G figure:

So, here's Birkin's 3rd and 4th forms... we'll talk about each separately. The standing version is the 3rd form and we run into some issues right off the bat. The figure is very top heavy and has a lot of joints in the leg for the transformation to the G4 form. Remember what I mentioned above about not being mad about the Tyrant not having leg joints? This guy is why. He is very difficult to get to stand up for any amount of time. Once you get him standing, leave him that way cause the slightest touch will send him collapsing in on himself like a bad game of Jenga. I am probably going to try to tightening the joints up some as I bought him more for the standing version than the 4G version... and if that doesn't work, I'll probably just end up supergluing them in place. Detail wise, this guy isn't too amazing. The paint job is fairly bland. Articulation is so-so, with most of the joints being found in the legs.

As for the G4 form... I am not impressed at all. The switchable head has a hard time staying in place and the back-arm cannot seem to support much weight, thus the guy looks a mess.

In all honesty, there really isn't too much good to say about this figure. I only bought it because I found it on the cheap and would like to have a figure for all of William's forms at some point. For the most part, I wouldn't really recommend grabbing this guy.

Finally, we end things off with Palisade's Resident Evil William Birkin G4:

And this is the reason I don't care too much about Capcom's version of William G4. This guy is amazing. He has a lot of articulation, though because the front part is so massive, there won't be too many other poses he'll fit in comfortable than the one shown. Still, for a figure like this, the articulation is fantastic. The level of detail is also really well done. I'm not sure how well it shows in the pics, but this monster is a mass of muscle and eyeballs and teeth and I don't think Palisade's could have done a better job. While not tall, he is still a very wide and massive figure. The downside is that since the figure is so well done and Palisades is out of business, this figure tends to go for a decent amount on the secondary market. Ebay store listings usually go for $125, but if you're patient, you can usually pick one up in standard bidding for around $50ish.

So, yeah, there's some figures. Any questions about anything not covered, please feel ask away...
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #32
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Cool pics of Hal and monsters. Good stuff.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #33
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

At some point I hope to get the Robotech Cyclones.

I remember watching the Robotech cartoons when I was a kid and thinking how cool it would be to have one of these things in real life.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #34
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Does anyone go toy hunting anymore? You know, like get early and goto Wal-Mart, Target, Toy's R Us looking for hard to find figures and whatnot? I know Sylent and I use to do that. I don't anymore. I usually found toy hunting more aggravating and frustrating than satisfying.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Does anyone go toy hunting anymore? You know, like get early and goto Wal-Mart, Target, Toy's R Us looking for hard to find figures and whatnot? I know Sylent and I use to do that. I don't anymore. I usually found toy hunting more aggravating and frustrating than satisfying.
I sometimes do that. Unfotuanlly the selection of Transformers here is kinda limited.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I don't get up early unless I have to. I get all my toys from conventions, the LCS or by finding them by accident in the middle of the day at Target or Walmart. Toys R Us is ALWAYS a complete waste of time and I never go there. Even when I'm driving by, I don't even bother stopping in anymore. I've heard "Everything we have is on the floor" enough to last me a lifetime.

Before work, I'll periodically stop by a nearby Walmart just to gaze at the 10 Power Girls and 2 Firestorms on the off-chance that something was stocked.

You're better off buying toys online as the shipping charges you incur negate the amount you would have spent on gas. The only downside is you don't get that exhilarating release from the thrill of the hunt.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #37
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah, I buy my stuff online now for the reasons I mentioned previously. However, I still bargain hunt and price compare online.

Another thing I use to do (mostly with Star Wars figures) is buy two of the same figure, one to open and one to keep in package. I stop doing that because it was too costly and storage space became an issue. Does anyone still buy two of the same figure that's not a Con exclusive?

I typically open all my figures now because I don't plan on reselling them. Plus, hard-to-find/rare figures usually get a pretty good resale value loose. Additionally, I like being able to pose and touch the figures, as oppose to looking at them in package.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #38
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I might get this Juggernaut figure when it comes out. I've been looking for one to be the right scale for the figures I already have.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #39
Hellboy
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Send a message via MSN to Hellboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hellboy

My MMS DX Batman came today from Showpiece (awesome price $150 and much quicker shipping than the Bank Robber Joker) and all I have to say is that it's really something else.

Everyone knew that Hot Toys' Jokers would steal the show, and the company received a lot of praise (and rightfully so) for them. Subsequently, Batman kinda faded into the background (poor Dent even more so). I imagine that Hot Toys picked up on that and had something to prove with The Caped Crusader.

This is one of those pieces that you pull out to convince those people who look at you with equal parts disgust and disdain when you tell them you like toys.

Here are some quick snaps after I configured the initial (accessory) set-up.

He comes with a looooot of shit. There'll be better pictures soon.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #40
Doc2814
Banned

I'll be posting a new review today. I'll let you guys pick 3 out of the following:

DCUC Wave 13 Superboy (Reign of the Supermen)
DCUC Wave 6 Hawkman
DCD Larfleeze
DCUC Wave 11 CnC Kiliwog
MS Ultimate Thor
Old 06-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #41
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

These please:

DCUC Wave 13 Superboy (Reign of the Supermen)
DCUC Wave 11 CnC Kiliwog
MS Ultimate Thor