The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #26
Warrior_Pluto_II
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Warrior_Pluto_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't think it is, but it kinda looks like him. Actually it looks like Parallax Hal inside Alan's Kingdom Come suit.

Actually... it's definitely Alan. See how he's projecting multiple Alan Scotts at everybody? Even Sentinel Alans.

Speculation: perhaps the Starheart goes into Hal Jordan and makes him go apeshit?
Were it not for all the entities disappearing (well Parallax for sure, and we're assuming the rest) I would wager that one of them figured out a way to possess Alan. His looks really imply Parallax, hell maybe that is where ol' Parry ran off to.

Long shot but, as for the Kingdom Come armor, I wonder if it's possible that KC Superman went back to Earth-22 and brought his buddies, and the armored Alan, is Earth-22 Alan (just younger looking).

Warrior_Pluto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #27
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior_Pluto_II View Post
Were it not for all the entities disappearing (well Parallax for sure, and we're assuming the rest) I would wager that one of them figured out a way to possess Alan. His looks really imply Parallax, hell maybe that is where ol' Parry ran off to.

Long shot but, as for the Kingdom Come armor, I wonder if it's possible that KC Superman went back to Earth-22 and brought his buddies, and the armored Alan, is Earth-22 Alan (just younger looking).
It could be Parallax, but more likely it is the return of Jade with the Starheart. As for Earth-22, Alan displayed the armor against Gog a while back, so he has used it as well as the Earth-22 one.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Glad to see it wasn't Hal in the armor.
JME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #29
Brother Eye
Green Lantern Initiate

Just a heads up the panel for Brightest Day is going on as I type this at C2E2. Robinson seeks to clarify the starheart's energy, and how it makes sense in the emotional spectrum, it's connection to it. I smell more retconning coming down the pike and take away the magical nature of the starheart.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #30
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Hmm.
JME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #31
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Eye View Post
Just a heads up the panel for Brightest Day is going on as I type this at C2E2. Robinson seeks to clarify the starheart's energy, and how it makes sense in the emotional spectrum, it's connection to it. I smell more retconning coming down the pike and take away the magical nature of the starheart.
Hopefully it doesn't get retconned....but hoping it won't happen isn't going to stop it from happening. Since Alan wasn't able to help in blackest night the way the corps did, perhaps it should have an explanation as to why...even though whatever explanation they give is most likely going to be terrible.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #32
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

From everything I have seen I think I know what's happening. With Jade's return and her own connection to the Starheart power it's boosting the Starhearts power levels. Plus I have this bad feeling that Parallax is also going to be involved.

The Starheart is all the chaotic magic in the universe collected into one object. Plus later a GL's lantern, ring, and soul were combined into it so it has a internal link to the emotional spectrum. So pulling Parallax into into it's self wouldn't be that hard to feed off of his power and corrupt Alan in the process.

Darth_Andrea
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #33
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Justice Society of America #41 (DC 75th Anniversary) Variant Cover by George Perez

Quote:
Frank Harry’s cover to ALL STAR COMICS #16 puts the spotlight squarely on some of the key characters of the early DCU – specifically, the Justice Society of America. The first band of masked men tasked with keeping the world safe. And wow, does that cover have a lot of characters on it, huh?

Quote:
Well, in addition to being a master storyteller, supreme talent and all-around gentleman, Mr. George Perez knows a thing or two about handling covers with a ton of characters on them – and finds a way to make them look cool. Here’s his reinterpretation of the classic cover:
Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #34
Brother Eye
Green Lantern Initiate

Ok, I got done reading the latest issue of Justice League and so far it looks like they are keeping the origin of the Start Heart as the Guardians gathering up magic and trapping it and then a peice gets to Earth to eventually get into Alan Scott's hands. So far no massive retcons so one can hope that this plays out well.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #35
kingoftheC

I didn't like the story that used Yalan Gur or whatever his name was. Can't wait to read this!

is the man.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #36
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Maybe this crossover will help push Alan Scott to the forefront of the DCU
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
Maybe this crossover will help push Alan Scott to the forefront of the DCU
I wouldnt say that, but this is sure to propell Jade up the Ranks.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #38
kingoftheC

Hopefully we'll still get more Alan in the end. I don't see the point of bringing Jade back into a JLA destined to fail. Wat then? JSA? The All-Stars book might be a good place for her in the future.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #39
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheC View Post
I didn't like the story that used Yalan Gur or whatever his name was. Can't wait to read this!
I was just about to comment on this; I think its a mistake to remove Gur from the retcon personally........

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #40
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

The Yalan Gur issue was one of the first GL issues I ever bought. I liked him, and I liked the explanation for the vulnerability against wood.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #41
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Well, so far so good. It kinda reminds me of that old "Green Lantern / Sentinel" "crossover" that happened a decade ago. In a good way.

Continuity notes: The actual Starheart exploded quite some time ago in GLC Quarterly. It absorbed Alan's battery and was, finally, defeated in that "crossover", but not before taking control of Obsidian.

I missed the last issue, but it looks like these meteors are part of the Starheart, so ... maybe it reformed? I dunno.

On Yalan Gur ... I constantly flip flop on if it was a good retcon or not.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #42
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

James Robinson talks JLA/JSA Crossover

If you somehow missed the bestselling "Blackest Night" - the trigger for the events of "Brightest Day" - a dozen superheroes and villains were resurrected at the series' conclusion and now must traverse the DCU in effort to find out why they're back with the living and why some of their friends and foes are not.

One of those characters was Jade - the daughter of Golden Age Green Lantern Alan Scott , the twin sister of Obsidian and the former lover of Kyle Rayner - who died trying to stop Alexander Luthor, Jr. in the 2006 one-shot, "Rann-Thanagar War: Infinite Crisis Special."

Jade's at the epicenter of James Robinson and Mark Bagley's upcoming "Justice League of America"/"Justice Society of America" crossover that begins later this month in "Justice League of America" #46.

CBR spoke with Robinson about the "world-shattering, world-in-peril" story he and Bags are set to deliver in DC's two biggest team books, and the writer behind such critical hits as "Starman" and "The Golden Age" also shared news that ,while it was originally announced that he'd be writing two issues of "Justice Society of America," he's now sticking around for one extra issue to give the cataclysmic crossover one final salvo in a title that's near and dear to his heart.

Quote:
You have been writing "Justice League of America" for some time now, but you have been doing it without DC's big guns: Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. How does Trinity 2.0 - Supergirl, Dick Grayson and Donna Troy - stack up?

I think of them as a fresh, new original way to portray the trinity. A change from what we've been used to for so long. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Big 3, but at the same time I do like the freedom that comes with writing my version. I mean, I love writing Dick Grayson, because with him as Batman, there is a freedom and a spirit to the Batman persona that just isn't the same as the pathologically focused way that Bruce Wayne seems to do everything. There's much more of a lightness to him and I enjoy having that Batman to play with.

And then all of these other characters have very little backstory. I mean Jade really has the most. And so I had the freedom to...

No, what am I saying? That's not true at all. Donna has back story. Supergirl too. I think what I mean is that, with these versions having not been quite at the fore, fore, forefront of the DCU, there's more freedom to cherry-pick the aspects of their past that I want to use.

The good thing is that, with these characters, I'm free to use as much as I want or ignore as much as I want, so one of things that I've enjoyed doing, for instance, is streamlining Donna Troy and not dealing with all the confusing back-story and just making her into this really interesting character in her own right. I think in the past that she has been a second-rate Wonder Woman. I want her to be a first-rate Donna Troy.

And then there's Jesse Quick, who has almost a completely clean slate. Congo Bill. Starman. Very clean slates, too. So I'm having fun crafting this team of my own, and also because I don't have the Big 7 and I don't have to do what you would normally expect a Big 7 adventure story to be, I can take this book into interesting directions and have guest stars and use the DC Universe and just make it into this big, fun, sprawling epic of a book that can and will go anywhere and everywhere, in lots of unexpected directions.

Last week, one of those directions was the introduction of Supergirl to the title. Is Kara along for the ride now?

Yes, very much. I mean, I had hopes to hang onto Mon-El for a little longer, but unfortunately it wasn't to be and I had to send him back to the 30th century. Or send him on to the 30th century, I guess technically would be the correct thing to say.

But getting Supergirl instead is a fantastic boon. She had this big, rich history as a comic book character, but again has been out of the spotlight. I can focus on the areas of that past that I want to. The idea is to set up my own World's Finest team between her and Dick Grayson, where they're very much brother and sister - this super-sibling relationship, almost. It's something that no one has really had the opportunity to do before, so I'm really enjoying that, as well.

How will Donna react to this new dynamic?

I think Donna's a big girl, and it isn't like her relationship to Dick is going to be any less. The thing I like about this team is that everybody on it has lost someone in some way. Dick obviously lost his parents. And for now, anyway, he's lost Bruce Wayne. Supergirl has lost everybody except for Superman after the events of the 100 Minute War. Jesse Quick lost her father. He's "dead" dead now, not "lost in the Speedforce dead," and then to make matters worse she had to see him yet die again, so to speak, in "Blackest Night: JSA." In the course of the arc of the JLA/JSA crossover, we'll see that even though Jade has had to move on from Kyle Rayner, she's sort of not over him yet. But there's nothing she can do about it. She's had to move on, but she's still sort of lost that love. Bill and Mikaal have both lost people, or in Bill's case gorillas, that they loved in "Justice League: Cry for Justice." Donna was reminded she lost her husband and her baby during "Blackest Night." So they've all lost something. They're very much a family, sort of helping each other in that way, supporting each other. So that's something I like, as well, very much.

As much as you're known for your comic book writing, you're equally known for your great passion for comics of the past. With all the work you've done in comics, is writing a JLA/JSA crossover still extra special?

Absolutely. And getting to write all of it was a really great thrill. And having Mark Bagley drawing all of it so there could be a consistency to the art, as well as the writing. You might be surprised by some of the unexpected guest stars that I throw in there, as well. It's a big epic story.

I guess that's what JLA/JSA crossovers allow - and are expected to provide - big epic stories.

Absolutely. One of the things that I resolved to do with all my Justice League stories is make them big, world-shattering, world-in-peril stories. And it isn't like they go into with a "I hope we can do this even though we're the scrub team" attitude, either. They're the Justice League of America, so that's how they see it. That's how Batman and Donna Troy see it. And that's hopefully how the readers will see it too before too long.

You just called Dick, Batman. Do you ever slip up when you're referencing Dick, or is he very much Batman to you?

He's Batman to me. And he will be Batman until, well, I don't know. If he ever stops being Batman, I have no idea. I don't think anyone but Grant Morrison and his editors and maybe Dan DiDio know who or what will be Batman, but I certainly don't.

You mentioned Jesse Quick earlier. What role will her marriage to JSA's Hourman have to this story? Does it put them odds or does it bring the teams together?

They're going to both be in this adventure, even though Hourman is a JSA All-Star and no longer on the main team. But they'll be in there and we'll see their relationship. I love the fact that they're married. I mean, the thing that writers always seem to do with couples in comics is immediately divorce them and give them marital problems and I actually think that's crap. Not every marriage is doomed to failure. As far as I'm concerned, and it's up to the Justice Society writers to deal with, as well, but as far as I'm concerned, they're a happy couple and it gives us a really organic crossing over point between the two teams whenever and wherever we can do it.

What are the major differences between the two superhero teams and what roles do you think the JLA and the JSA play within the modern DCU?

Well, the Justice League of America is the team. It is the big DC Universe superhero team that fights the big threats. With the Justice Society, it's more a community of heroes that sort of takes on threats as they present themselves, but I don't feel like they are the first one that is called when the world is in danger. And yes, it's more about training new heroes, but from what I can see at the moment, with the two teams, that's sort of gone away a little bit.

But in terms of the book itself, the linking aspect to my crossover obviously is the return of Jade, the fact that's she's brought the bulk of the Starheart with her, after for so long there just being a small part of it on Earth. And the fact that it's corrupted Alan Scott and that Obsidian is a factor in this too. The two superheroes [Jade and Obsidian] represent the light and the darkness within the Starheart and within Alan's powers, so obviously they'll both be a factor in the upcoming crossover in ways that might surprise you. And the finale might surprise you, too. I think, it's a very satisfying ending, but also a slightly unsuspected ending that will occur when all of this finishes. I think fans will be happy.

With the big budget movie in production and the CG animated series just announced, not to mention Geoff Johns' massive story that he's been telling with Hal Jordan since the launch of "Green Lantern: Rebirth," Green Lantern has never been more popular. How much fun are you having putting the spotlight on Alan Scott for a change - the Golden Age Green Lantern?

It's a lot of fun. I do have this affinity for the Golden Age characters. I love the fact that I get the honor, I guess, after all of the work that has been done with Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps and everything else, I'm the one that gets to clarify the powers and the world of Alan Scott and Jade and Obsidian, which is this somewhat ancillary aspect to the Guardians of Oa.

For readers not familiar with the Starheart, can you give us the Cliff Notes version of the concept?

The Starheart was all of the chaotic and evil energy in the world, and that includes some elements like magic, all of that stuff. So that was all contained by the Guardians of Oa in the Starheart, and it required an equal amount - the fact that I know all of this from memory and say it on the phone while I'm walking the dog is crazy - but it required an equal amount of the Guardians' green energy to contain it. All of this merged together to create the energy of the Starheart, which is part magic, part elemental, part Green Lantern power. It's sort of a bit of everything, and when you have that much of it on Earth, obviously it's going to affect it in a very dramatic way because Earth is a giant elemental orb.

So Alan Scott, prior to this, has had his own way, with an amazing degree of will, to control this chaotic, elemental force and use it for good, but the amount he's had control over, which he thought was the sum total of the Starheart, now he realizes that he has only been controlling a fraction of it, so things are very different for him now. And that's why, for the next five issues, everything is topsy-turvy.

Was Jade a character you wanted to bring back, or did DC kindly request that you make her a part of Justice League of America and, in particular, this storyline?

I did ask to have her come back. I've always liked Jade. I've always been quite a fan. It shifted in a direction where I sort of lost interest in the narrative, but I was a big fan of "Infinity, Inc.," when it first came out. Jerry Ordway was doing the art and everything else. I've always had an affection for her and I've always felt that she's been underwritten. I mean, sure, she has a history, she's certainly been in enough teams and done enough things and been with Kyle Rayner for a very long time and was even a Green Lantern for a while, but I always felt there was still a lot of potential for her. When she was killed during the Rann-Thanagar War, I felt that it was a waste of the character. And when the idea came about of me having my own kind of "7" characters and doing my own thing with them, her name came up and it just felt like the right person to add to that team.

Is it your plan to stay on both titles post-crossover?

This storyline is part of a much bigger picture that I have worked out with Mark Bagley and my editor Eddie Berganza that we'll unfold over the next couple of years. So the Starheart and everything about it is just part of what will become a much bigger story as things go down the line. This is just the start. But it's a finite series that has a beginning and an ending to the story.

I was originally staying on "JSA" for #41 and #42, but now - just to give the Justice Society a bit more of a coda - I'm staying for #43 too. At the start, the ending was all in "Justice League of America" #48, and it just felt like the Justice Society didn't get their fair shake at the end.

And then there is a single-issue I'm really excited to write, "Justice League of America" #49, and then we go to #50, which is where another big arc will start. It's another big, epic story involving everything people will want to see in a Justice League story.

I was actually working on a couple of the beats today - I took a break from working on JLA/JSA crossover for a little while, and I was thinking, "Wow. This is a huge story," so I think people will be thrilled by it and you'll see heroes and villains from the DC Universe that you may not expect.

You mentioned your seven characters, but we haven't talked about two of them yet: Congo Bill and Mikaal Tomas. What does the future hold for this unlikely dynamic duo?

I'll be honest with you, in #49, I was going to do a solo story kind of focusing on them, but at the last minute, because of "Brightest Day," I realized it was probably best to focus on Jade a little bit more. So #49 is going to focus on Donna and Jade as they have an adventure in San Francisco, which is going to be their new home. And it's where I live, so I'm going to be representing the city. And then Bill and Mikaal - my own Blue and Gold - you will absolutely be seeing them in the future. I have a lot of things planned for them and one of the things that I'm having fun doing with Bill is that I am slowly building up his entire life, from being born in 1897 or 1898 to Scottish gamekeepers in Scotland. So that's his heritage, and I've come up with all of these things that he's done in his life. I'm never going to actually list them in chronological order, but over the course of all his appearances, if someone is interested enough, a few years from now you could probably put Bill's life in order from the day he was born until present day. The guy has been around for more than 100 years, so he's lived a hell of a life and he romanced a lot of beautiful women and done all of these things around the world., etc. He lets it slip out in #44 that he spied for the Canadians when he was in Prussia in WWI, and there will be other things that we'll be revealing along the way.

And if you want to know what his voice sounds like, he sort of sounds like a guttural, bestial version of Sean Connery's voice.

Last edited by W.West; 06-03-2010 at 09:46 PM.
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #43
W.West

JLA Artist Mark Bagley talks JLA/JSA Crossover

Newsarama talked with the artist about the upcoming JLA/JSA crossover and the differences readers might notice in his style as he deals with the iconic characters of the Justice League and Justice Society.

Quote:
Newsarama: Mark, is it a good time to talk right now? I know you're drawing a lot this month.

Mark Bagley: Now would be fine! But can I put you on speaker while I draw?

Nrama: Of course!

Bagley: That way, I can multi-task.

Nrama: That doesn't surprise me at all. Mark, now that you've been at DC a couple years, have you changed up your style at all, or is it not really that different to draw DC characters vs. Marvel characters?

Bagley: I caught myself at a convention saying it's the "same shit, different day," and that's a joke, but it's kind of the truth. You work with people you like, and you draw characters, and that doesn't really change. And drawing is kind of a construction process, no matter what the story is. Don't get me wrong — I have a lot of sentimental feel for these characters, particularly Spider-Man and Superman, but when you're doing it as a job, the process doesn't change that much.

That said, I did do one thing intentionally when I started drawing Trinity. I had spent years drawing teenage characters in my own sort of style, my own realm of comfort. And I felt that once I was doing Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, I felt like I had to do them a little more on model. I felt like I was making their faces or eyes too big. I felt like I should pull back. I look back at my earlier stuff, and I see that it was a tendency I had, to make the eyes too big.

So I'm intentionally trying to de-cartoon myself a little bit. And that works for faces like Superman and Wonder Woman and Batman. They look more mature.

Nrama: I suppose with the Ultimate line, you didn't have to follow any iconic look for most of those characters, since you guys were reinventing them.

Bagley: Right. It was my own baby and I could do pretty much anything I wanted to.

But I think, actually, it was a blessing in disguise. It's always good for an artist to take a critical look at what he's doing. Not just naturally evolve, which I think every artist does, but every now and then go, what exactly am I doing that could be better? And I had habits of eyes on the wrong plane and that sort of thing. I'm trying to really concentrate on things like that so I don't make the same mistake. I'm just making different ones now. [laughs]

Nrama: Specifically with this story, were you familiar with the Justice Society? You probably drew a lot of them in Trinity, didn't you? Most characters in the DCU showed up for that story.

Bagley: Yeah, I'm still not talking to Kurt Busiek. No, I'm kidding. You know, I drew almost everyone in Trinity, but I didn't draw a lot of them enough to really get comfortable with them or feel like I could take any liberties with them. With this crossover with the JSA, I'm getting to do a bit more of that.

Nrama: This storyline is concentrating on Jade and Alan Scott, so is there any thought about all the green light that's going to be swirling around these issues? Does a penciler even think about that kind of thing?

Bagley: I try to. It's such a challenge to the colorists. Color used to be so flat with three-color process, but now coloring is so important. It can kill a book. This whole storyline is a real challenge. There's a lot of ambient green light floating around. That changes all the colors around it, even in the costumes.

There have been places I've been thrilled with it and other places I haven't been very happy, because it's a real challenge. It's hard to do. Especially in the amount of time everybody's getting to do it. We're a little bit rushed.

They said, "Oh, you're going to be doing both JLA and JSA!!" And I was like, "What??? I mean, I'll try to do it, but I can't guarantee it'll get done. I'll try!"

Which is why I'm drawing as we speak.

Nrama: With the JSA, were you familiar with the characters? Did you follow this team at all, or were they new to you?

Bagley: I've read JSA over the years. I don't read as many comics now as I used to. When Geoff started writing it, they had some really great artists on the book, which got me looking at it.

So I was pretty aware of the characters. They have these iconic characters like Green Lantern and Flash and Hawkman, although Hawkman's not in this. But they also have these new legacy characters, and I haven't quite taken those guys to heart as much. I don't know why. Even as we speak, I'm drawing Atom Smasher. I love drawing giants, so it's fun to draw him. He's smashing the hell out of Green Lantern created images. But I had to pull out a reference and figure out how to draw his costume. I was like, "Ok, he's got a mask. Wow, that's a weird line across his belly there. Why is that there?" So I'm having to break out the references and kind of get used to the way these characters look.

I think James Robinson knows every character in the DC Universe. He pulls out the most obscure characters for the background. I have to get references for this one little tiny character in the background. But you know, that can be fun too. I mean, I'm learning a lot about all these characters.

Nrama: Is there a character in the JSA that stands out as one you enjoy drawing?

Bagley: Not really. I enjoy drawing them all. Green Lantern is fun to draw because I knew Marty Nodell [the character's co-creator], and hung out with him and his wife a lot over the years. They both passed recently, and it was fun to know them. I can see me doing that in 10 or 15 years, just doing convention after convention and just hanging out with fans and doing sketches and stuff.

The one I'm having trouble with is the original Flash. I hate that helmet. It's not that it doesn't work for his look; I actually like it and think it works. But it's just so hard for me to draw. I can't get it right! It drives me nuts! But aside from that, there aren't any problems.

Nrama: It's interesting that the hat is that challenging. Do you have to erase and redraw it? Is that what you do as you're penciling?

Bagley: Yes! Draw. Erase. Draw. Erase. Draw. Erase. Trace. [laughs] No, I don't trace. But I get is as good as I can get it in the time I have and then I say, "Well, that's as good as I'm going to get it. It's got to go." But I almost never feel like I have that helmet to where it looks right in my head. It probably looks fine to most people who read the book. But it just always looks odd to me. Pacheco kills on it. Eaglesham kills on it. They're like, oh yeah, it's just this. But then, I never felt like I did Peter Parker very well either.

Nrama: The team you're drawing for this JLA is a little different from Trinity, so are you getting to explore some new characters on that team?

Bagley: Yeah, this is definitely different. I enjoy drawing most of them a lot. Donna Troy is great. Jade's fun to draw too. Batman is, of course, fun to draw.

I actually enjoy drawing Supergirl a lot. She just entered the book. She's kind of young and fresh, and I think that's fun. I tend to do young characters well anyway.

I got to do that big punch-up between Power Girl and Supergirl last month and that was just a blast. You get to show off the differences in figures and the body types. I'm not one of these artists who draw five different characters with the same body type. At least, I don't intend to. It's always fun challenge to have that highlighted that way.

I drew a really nice panel in an upcoming issue of Supergirl, Power Girl and Donna Troy standing next to each other, and that's fun.

I actually like drawing Jesse Quick. She's the daughter of Johnny Quick that has taken his costume. And it actually looks really good on a running figure. I was bound and determined to redesign it when they said she was in the book, but once I started drawing it, I thought, this works fine!

Nrama: Are you working with more than one inker on these issues, Mark?

Bagley: I've got two inkers anyway. JLA is 30 pages a month. I think we might be going back to 22 in the future, but for now, we're splitting it up between Rob Hunter and Norm Rapmund. Norm is doing 10 pages out of 30, and Rob is doing 20. Rob didn't think he could do 30 and do a quality job. He likes to have a life, whereas, I don't have a life, so that works out well. I think during the crossover, Norm is inking the JSA issues and Rob is inking the JLA issues.

They have similar styles. Norm's a little more controlled than Rob is. And Rob's a little more expressive with his inks. It actually doesn't look bad next to each other. Aside from that, they have similar sensibilities when inking a page. So I don't mind having two inkers as much as I normally would.

It's harder to ink than you'd think. Inking isn't tracing. And when you bring as much to the book as these guys do... especially Rob, who I recently talked to about even pulling back on some of the detail, some of the really strong inking that he does. Sometimes less is more. He's really working hard at it and it looks amazing. I think he's becoming an even better inker.

Nrama: How is it different drawing a multi-character crossover with lots of action like this than it is to draw, for example, the more "talk-heavy" and non-costumed character issues you used to do with Ultimate Spider-Man?

Bagley: Well, drawing a figure in the background is just as important as drawing a character in the foreground, whether he's in a costume or in street clothes, you know? So there are similarities you don't even realize between the drawing in one type of story and another.

But you know, if you'd asked me 15 years ago, I'd have said, "Drawing the big, bang-up superhero fights with dozens of characters are the most fun!" But working with Brian [Michael Bendis] so long, I got to really enjoy drawing the character acting and emoting that can go along with that type of storytelling and drama.

This is such a change from that. This is a big, costume drama, superhero-supervillain mash-up type of book. I did that for years. I did it on New Warriors and on Thunderbolts. And it's taken a little getting used to, to get back into that. It's a lot of work. It's a team book, and I knew it would be a lot of work taking it over.

I just drew a page a couple weeks ago where Jade was at her mother's house, and the two of them were talking out in the back yard. And I stopped to think, "When was the last time I drew a woman in real clothes in a real room, with, like, regular furniture?" It had been months! And that's no criticism of James or anything like that. It's just the nature of the book. It's just the nature of the beast. It's not what we're going for.

But trust me, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's fun drawing real things. And I don't know if I would have said that 15 years ago.

I still hate drawing cars though. And, oh, by the way, I'm terrible at drawing gorillas.

Nrama: Well, that's a problem!

Bagley: I know! James loves Congorilla, and he's doing great things with him. And I do the best I can. But I'm just terrible at it. I pull out all my Art Adams reference and Joe Kubert reference for how they drew apes. And I think, "Yeah, I should be able to do this!" But then I draw it and think, "Aw this looks like hell." [laughs] Every once in awhile I nail it, but nine times out of ten, it seems like I just go over it again and again trying to get it right and have to say, "OK, this is the best it's going to get. Just let it go." You know? The inker will fix it. The colorist will fix it. That's just my one big complaint. I'm terrible at drawing gorillas.

Nrama: You're staying on JLA for a while, right?

Bagley: Yes! I'm here for the foreseeable future. And you know, I know I complained in this interview, but I really am enjoying the hell out of this book and this story. When I'm drawing it, I'm not getting to sit down and really enjoy the story as much as I do when I see the finished product. When the book comes out and I actually read it, it reads really damn well. You see the thing as a whole and it just works so well. James knows what he's doing. It's a good book, and he's got some cool stuff coming up. It's all about the Starheart and the end of the world. It's definitely worth reading.

Nrama: Then let's end by you just answering what it is you're enjoying most about working on Justice League, or even what you enjoy the most about working on comics?

Bagley: What I enjoy about working on a comic like JLA — well, what I enjoy about working on any comic, really — is the storytelling. I had a discussion with Tim Sale about this in Charlotte a couple weeks ago. I should probably ink. I used to ink. But I make a really good living penciling because I'm faster than, well, the Flash, and I just love the storytelling part of it. Once I get done doing that part of it, I tend to get a little anxious to get on to the next page to figure out how I'm going to work out the next sequence. Working full script, it's less of a challenge than it used to be. And it's actually a little less fun for me. But that's the part I enjoy the most.

Last edited by W.West; 06-17-2010 at 02:21 PM.
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #44
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Two issues in and I'm liking it, I thought JSA #41 was almost filler, but it progressed the story.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #45
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

The storyline is somewhat obscure (all this chaotic magic stuff) and doesn't really fit with the rest of the Brightest Day stuff, but I like it. This is my first time reading JSA since just after the Magog series, so it's nice to be back.

The art is not great, but it's not bad. The dialog is a step up from CFJ, which is a good thing.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #46
Shingo Wol

Looks like that scene from Origins and omens may come true after all...
Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #47
War of Light Vet
Hal's Understudy

I'm really enjoying it , I like how Jade's energy is darker because of the remaining black lantern in her, its been a fun story arc thus far

"WHO CONTROLS WHAT NOW?" - Hal Jordan
War of Light Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #48
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by War of Light Vet View Post
I'm really enjoying it , I like how Jade's energy is darker because of the remaining black lantern in her, its been a fun story arc thus far
Is that what that is? I always assumed it was because of the Starhearts power. But with other hero's having problems with their powers it makes sense
Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #49
Shingo Wol

So Jade's energy is the malfunction. Interesting.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #50
War of Light Vet
Hal's Understudy

That's what I took it as anyway.
Here's what I got...

Jade- Darker Energy, connected to the black lantern power

Capt. Boomerang- Black Boomerang Constructs

Hawks- When they kiss, they become all zombie, necro-fetishy

Max Lord- When he mind controls, the person becomes non-animated corpses w/ black lantern logo on them

Aquaman- summons zombie aquatic life

Firestorm- Has spewed black goo on a rescued individual, has a 3rd party in the matrix

Martian Manhunter, Hawk, Zoom, Osiris and Deadman Idk about,

Osiris cracked a statue of his sister by using his power, but it didnt seem too black lanternish

just what i've noticed about the resurrected

"WHO CONTROLS WHAT NOW?" - Hal Jordan
War of Light Vet is offline   Reply With Quote