The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 AM   #51
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Second Invincible Iron Man #20 PREVIEW
Writer: Matt Fraction
Artist: Salvador Larroca
Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #52
Malkavian
Kyle's Nude Model

Am loving the Invincible Iron Man series.
But like said before for alot of people, i also started reading iron man because of Extremis. And i really liked the new suit/power he gave himself. It made sense. He became more than "a guy in a tech suit" (Owyeah Am a Warren Ellis Follower, he is the internet jesus )

Fraction's run i like, but i'm really looking forward towards the end. I want to know how they are going to fix this all.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #53
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkavian View Post
Am loving the Invincible Iron Man series.
But like said before for alot of people, i also started reading iron man because of Extremis. And i really liked the new suit/power he gave himself. It made sense. He became more than "a guy in a tech suit" (Owyeah Am a Warren Ellis Follower, he is the internet jesus )

Fraction's run i like, but i'm really looking forward towards the end. I want to know how they are going to fix this all.
The end? Fraction's run will last forever!

Hopefully without Larroca!
Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #54
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
Picked up Invincible Iron Man Vol. 1 TPB. LCS owner let me have it for $10, so figured it was worth. I've heard nothing, especially from Castle on this site about good it is so figured 5 issues for $10 was a good bargain.
I'd stick with it past The Five Nightmares and into World's Most Wanted. I let my friend borrow my copy of The Five Nightmares graphic novel, and he wasn't overly impressed, but he loved World's Most Wanted when I let him borrow my 12 issues of that story. He said it was "approximately eleventy billion times better", which might be a slight exaggeration on his part.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #55
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I'd stick with it past The Five Nightmares and into World's Most Wanted. I let my friend borrow my copy of The Five Nightmares graphic novel, and he wasn't overly impressed, but he loved World's Most Wanted when I let him borrow my 12 issues of that story. He said it was "approximately eleventy billion times better", which might be a slight exaggeration on his part.
Yeah, true. Hell, even Larroca improved. I thought now was bad, but looking back...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #56
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Castle View Post
Yeah, true. Hell, even Larroca improved. I thought now was bad, but looking back...
Yes, I think Larroca has improved by giant leaps and bounds since his start on the book, to the point where he's now just about servicable.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #57
DougG_ATL
Senior Corps Member

If you go back to Larocca's art on X-Men from the early 2000's, you can see that his art is MUCH better when traditionally inked. His art looks flat because they're just darkening the pencils in Photoshop and sending straight to D'Armata for colors. Without the keen eye an inker provides for depth and shadow, the art has that mucky, flat look.

The art on Invincible Iron Man has improved quite a bit and like Keyser said, it's just reached the point where it's not distracting. I'd have preferred Roberto de la Torre or Patrick Zircher handle the art on this title.
DougG_ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #58
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Yes, I think Larroca has improved by giant leaps and bounds since his start on the book, to the point where he's now just about servicable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG_ATL View Post
If you go back to Larocca's art on X-Men from the early 2000's, you can see that his art is MUCH better when traditionally inked. His art looks flat because they're just darkening the pencils in Photoshop and sending straight to D'Armata for colors. Without the keen eye an inker provides for depth and shadow, the art has that mucky, flat look.

The art on Invincible Iron Man has improved quite a bit and like Keyser said, it's just reached the point where it's not distracting. I'd have preferred Roberto de la Torre or Patrick Zircher handle the art on this title.
Yes, I agree, and there have been times when I've appreciated Larroca's art, just not the computer shit. Oh, and I hate D'Armata too.

Torre is great on Daredevil and I'd love to see Zircher on Thor.

I'll have to think of who I'd realistically put on Iron Man.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #59
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Yes, I agree, and there have been times when I've appreciated Larroca's art, just not the computer shit. Oh, and I hate D'Armata too.

Torre is great on Daredevil and I'd love to see Zircher on Thor.

I'll have to think of who I'd realistically put on Iron Man.
I dunno. Flawed as he is, I think it's gotten to the point where Larroca's style has become an integral part of the book's identity, so much so that I might actually... miss him were he to leave.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #60
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I dunno. Flawed as he is, I think it's gotten to the point where Larroca's style has become an integral part of the book's identity, so much so that I might actually... miss him were he to leave.
No, no, no, no, no, kick him off now!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #61
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Gonna crack Most Wanted sometime this week. Its gonna be a better read than the first arc right?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #62
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
No, no, no, no, no, kick him off now!
Agreed.

I wouldn't mind Jimenez.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #63
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Gonna crack Most Wanted sometime this week. Its gonna be a better read than the first arc right?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
Agreed.

I wouldn't mind Jimenez.
Sure, but he's busy on Astonishing.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #64
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

If only Steve Mcniven could keep up with a monthly then I would say him. Why not Simone Bianchi
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #65
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
If only Steve Mcniven could keep up with a monthly then I would say him. Why not Simone Bianchi
Either of those would be great. McNiven is working on a Millar project. And Bianchi is working on a mini.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #66
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

A very ballsy move by Fraction in Invincible Iron Man #20, devoting 6 pages to a Tony Stark monologue. And though it was just half a dozen pages of Tony Stark sitting on a chair and talking, it managed to be the most compelling part of the issue.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #67
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

I also liked the subtle shift from being a "Dark Reign story" to being very much an "Iron Man story", with Osborn washing his hands of Stark, leaving it for Iron Man villains Madame Masque and Ghost to take the reins as prime antagonists.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #68
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Yes, good stuff. Larroca.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #69
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
A very ballsy move by Fraction in Invincible Iron Man #20, devoting 6 pages to a Tony Stark monologue. And though it was just half a dozen pages of Tony Stark sitting on a chair and talking, it managed to be the most compelling part of the issue.
I thought the same thing when I started reading. But Fraction pulls it off flawlessly.

Excellent issue.

Last edited by myuserid; 11-27-2009 at 02:01 PM.
myuserid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #70
mateus
R.D.J.'s Baby Mama

Send a message via AIM to mateus Send a message via MSN to mateus Send a message via Yahoo to mateus

Quote:
i think its because he might have a little more slack on the leash from Marvel. i'm a big fan of Fraction's Iron Man and like others have said in 5 Nightmares and WMW he gets stark but only in small sparks here and there. in that single monologue however Fraction owns Stark and it was a perfect read!

i'm also looking forward to the dream sequences as they could kick total ass.
mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #71
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Yeah, I want to know what's going on in those dream sequences too.

I'm sure it has something to do with him coming back.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #72
mateus
R.D.J.'s Baby Mama

Send a message via AIM to mateus Send a message via MSN to mateus Send a message via Yahoo to mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuserid View Post
Yeah, I want to know what's going on in those dream sequences too.

I'm sure it has something to do with him coming back.
thats the thing. we've been speculating over at advancediron.org that it may not be all that it seems.
see its sort of been spoiled that Strange is going to come in to try and bring Tony back but Tony doesnt want to come back. so some AI members have speculated that the constructs seen in his dream sequence may be his conscience kicking in. we know hes digging up the iron man armor with the help of his mom and dad but what for? and what does it really represent?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #73
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateus View Post
thats the thing. we've been speculating over at advancediron.org that it may not be all that it seems.
see its sort of been spoiled that Strange is going to come in to try and bring Tony back but Tony doesnt want to come back. so some AI members have speculated that the constructs seen in his dream sequence may be his conscience kicking in. we know hes digging up the iron man armor with the help of his mom and dad but what for? and what does it really represent?
That's an interesting theory.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #74
Keyser Soze
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateus View Post
How is advancediron.org, anyway? I stumbled across it once, while searching for a good Iron Man fan community, but I was put off by the general hostility displayed towards the work of Fraction, the Knaufs, or any other modern depiction of Iron Man, making me fear that it was populated entirely by jaded old curmudgeons who want the Layton years back and hate Iron Man now for "going mainstream". Or did I just happen upon a particularly negative thread?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #75
mateus
R.D.J.'s Baby Mama

Quote:
How is advancediron.org, anyway? I stumbled across it once, while searching for a good Iron Man fan community, but I was put off by the general hostility displayed towards the work of Fraction, the Knaufs, or any other modern depiction of Iron Man, making me fear that it was populated entirely by jaded old curmudgeons who want the Layton years back and hate Iron Man now for "going mainstream". Or did I just happen upon a particularly negative thread?
its an awesome community with a lot of disgrunted fans because either:
1) Iron Man has been shiat on for the past 3 years by Marvel and their not fixing it fast enough
2) Invincible is more about talking and drama than actual Iron Man kicking butt.

it saddens me thats its that way right now because i really do enjoy the IM discussion when its actually being discussed. and most are still on the fence about Fraction. they know he gets Tony but the two above points have stopped them from liking the book as much as us new guys.