Lil' Leaguer

Default Sinestro #16 *Preview/Spoilers*

Sinestro #16 Preview
Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artists: Brad Walker & Ethan Van Sciver

Old 10-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

I like the camaraderie between Black Adam and Sinestro.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
buffalorock
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I like the camaraderie between Black Adam and Sinestro.
Agreed, they played it off nicely here. I thought the "silent contemplation" panels were well placed.

Very interesting twist at the end too.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'm a bit confused, though. This is the Pale Bishop that Black Adam defeated ages ago, right? So have the Pale Vicars been operating without a Pale Bishop all this time until Sinestro unwittingly woke him, or is there another Pale Bishop out there?

And is this a rogue, or are we going to be treated to another round of "See, the Guardians were really evil all along!" and this was one of their past schemes?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
Tarmode
Green Lantern Initiate

Better issue than the last few combined. Good to see Black Adam and Sinestro's friendship at play.You get a sense of Lyssa Drak in plot mode, and Soranik's attraction for Adam. The reveal at the end of the book leaves you in surprise/shock mode for a minute or two, but after that, when you think about it, makes a lot of sense.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I'm a bit confused, though. This is the Pale Bishop that Black Adam defeated ages ago, right? So have the Pale Vicars been operating without a Pale Bishop all this time until Sinestro unwittingly woke him, or is there another Pale Bishop out there?

And is this a rogue, or are we going to be treated to another round of "See, the Guardians were really evil all along!" and this was one of their past schemes?
Yeah, I took it as they have not had an actual leader in centuries.

And yeah, the secret bad guardian didn't thrill me. I almost posted that yesterday, but I wanted to just make a quick, positive comment instead.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Review: Sinestro #16
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
There have been some good Thaal-Adam moments in the Injustice series, but nothing this extensive, so I agree that they kind of dropped the ball, but it was still fun.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Three-and-a-half stars. Round up to four if you must.

We have a Black Adam / Sinestro crossover as Sinestro and his Corps comes to visit Earth. Kahndaq, specifically. And in rather poetic language, they arrive during a partial eclipse of the Sun (Green Lantern throwback, anyone?). Black Adam is quick to arrive to greet Sinestro, and the Middle Eastern country throws a celebration. Not that Black Adam is slow to show his superiority in his own kingdom, which causes Sinestro to get to the point: his research has indicated that Black Adam faced The Paling centuries ago. Sinestro wants Black Adam to tell him how he defeated them. But Black Adam will only tell Sinestro. Lyssa Drak's objections aside, Sinestro follows Black Adam to the tombs of his conquests. And there, both will be surprised.

Artwork was more than acceptable, with vibrant colors and believable faces and bodies. Brad Walker, Ethan Van Sciver, Drew Hennessy, and Jason Wright continue to be top-notch in this book. (Not that Karl Kerschl's variant cover won't bring a grin.) Two top villains, one confident in his kingdom, the other confident in his authority, came through their looks and words. And the rest of Sinestro's Corps members.

The surprise at the end was believable, because really, who in the DC universe cares about emotions more than a handful of characters? I'll leave that as a hint. And don't forget, Sinestro no longer has the Parallax Entity, since he left it in Warworld / New Korugar.

The arch about The Paling continues, and they are as hard to root out as the Weaponers of Qward. But something was missing from this issue (others above have mentioned this), some "oomph" that the previous issues had. It's good as part of a series, but not by itself, somehow.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote