The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 08-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #26
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

no they shouldnt give him a ring although that would be cool......i like his magical mystical mysterious origin in fact i believe they should play that up more......
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Well Till there is a Geoff-Con, Alan's powers are Half Mystical Half Guardian. His Lantern and Ring are made from a fragment of the StarHeart that combined with a GLC Power Battery and Ring that belonged to GL 2814 Yalan Gur, who went rogue so the guardians changed his rings weakness from yellow to wood and some Chinese guys beat him near to death. (GL Vol 3 #19)

Darth_Andrea
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

If I were writting GL I would make it happen. I would come up with a good reason why he also had a Green Lantern corps ring. I would let him join in major Green Lantern event fights and have a costume that resembled a mix between his and a corps uniform. Then when crissis is over he goes back to Earth and resumes his original Green Lantern Identity.

How cool would a mini be with Alan on Oa being trained for major space battles with the corps? Have each Major lantern teaching a diffrent lesson. And also exploring what a influnce Alan has made on the the Green Lanterns they have become.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Limelantern
Better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined

Send a message via Skype™ to Limelantern

I kinda think Alan's origin needs a retcon or two. It is such a convoluted mess that has been rewritten (badly) over and over again and really makes little sense. First it's a meteor, then it's a magical meteor, then it's the starheart, then it's Yalan Gur's ring reprogrammed by the Guardians, then it's chaos magic, now it's just the Starheart again.

Obviously some kind of connection to the Guardians has to be made, because a green ring and lantern shaped battery that just so happens to work exactly like the Green Lanterns by mere coincidence if a little too far fetched. Maybe it could be a Qwardian experiment meant to copy a GL ring, or some magically created item for the same purpose. An Empire of Tears item meant to counteract the Guardians made of chaos magic, something.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #30
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Yea... and how old is supposed to be? Roughly...
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 AM   #31
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

With Alan's involvement in Blackest Night, I'm certain it will once again be retonned in order to have something to do with the emotional spectrum.

In fairness, though, the Starheart has always been wild magic contined by the Guardians. "Chaos magic" is just another way of saying that. Also, Alan's story was fitted into the meteor in GLCQ (the meteor hit Yalang) and Yalang hasn't been mentioned since.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #32
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

well in the old days he was on earth two he could journey to earth one when the story demanded it but he was on his own. at least alan is still alive we can thank our lucky stars for that at least he is a great character
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #33
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Yea... and how old is supposed to be? Roughly...
Between 95 and 100 right now. The year of Alan Scott's birth might have been given in a retcon somewhere, but it'd have to be so obscure that it won't get mentioned again. Basically, Alan encountered the lamp he fashioned into a ring and lantern in 1940. He was also reported to be young then, but old enough to be an engineer, so him being 25 at the time is pretty close. So he was probably born around 1915.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #34
GL Logan

I would definitely leave Alan Scott as is. He is a unique and very compelling character... no need to change that to make him "one of the guys".
Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #35
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

and.... what is the explanation currently used for why Jay Garrick and Alan Scott NOT being 100 right now?

Is it the Ragnarok/Abraxis scenario from the Armageddon: Inferno story?

And if so... how come people remember Superman Prime but the JSA don't?

Like... how come SOME of the pre-crisis shit changed... but that part didn't?
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #36
Ninty
Star Manphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Logan View Post
I would definitely leave Alan Scott as is. He is a unique and very compelling character... no need to change that to make him "one of the guys".
agree with what this guy is saying. or as people say if it aint broke why try and fix it lol Alan Scott is fine the way he is.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #37
Groot
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelantern View Post
I kinda think Alan's origin needs a retcon or two. It is such a convoluted mess that has been rewritten (badly) over and over again and really makes little sense. First it's a meteor, then it's a magical meteor, then it's the starheart, then it's Yalan Gur's ring reprogrammed by the Guardians, then it's chaos magic, now it's just the Starheart again.

Obviously some kind of connection to the Guardians has to be made, because a green ring and lantern shaped battery that just so happens to work exactly like the Green Lanterns by mere coincidence if a little too far fetched. Maybe it could be a Qwardian experiment meant to copy a GL ring, or some magically created item for the same purpose. An Empire of Tears item meant to counteract the Guardians made of chaos magic, something.
I don't think his origin is going to be changed too much, but his ring might have some special part in the spectrum, and we're going to find out what will happen when he goes near a Blue Lantern as well... that should be interesting.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #38
Mosaic
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I hope I see him in a regular Green Lantern uniform one day. Even if it's only temporary.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #39
BatmanofSector2814
Hal's Understudy

The only problem i have with Alan Scott is that he doesnt have his own solo series. But thats just me being picky. im not a big fan of team books and i dont want to have to read JSA to read Scott. I would also like to see him interact more in Gotham City, seeing as that's his home town. again, thats just me.
BatmanofSector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #40
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Colonel Xonic

I still say make him an officer and give him a costume, keep the ring, it's technically a GL one anyway.
Colonel Xonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:59 AM   #41
supercoolcasey
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninty View Post
agree with what this guy is saying. or as people say if it aint broke why try and fix it lol Alan Scott is fine the way he is.
agreed
supercoolcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #42
HB-Jay

I don't want him to get a real GL ring or not until after BN is over . . . I WANT TO SEE ALAN'S RING NEXT TO A BLUE LANTERN!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #43
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

I thnk they would only spoil alans character if they gave him a ring.
On his own, he is a powerful unique character who has an important role already.

Also if somethng happens to the glc, its alwys cool to hav alan to turn to. eg. when he gave kyle a crash course in being a gl when kyle 1st got his ring.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #44
James Hunter

The Guardians consider Alan an ally (as well they should) and use him as an elder statesman when he is needed in that role (look at the pep talk he gave to Kyle in "Emerald Dawn" after Alex died aned when Kyle was over-whelmed by what had happened to him) but there's absolutely NO WAY that Alan should be given a ring by the Guardians.

A large part of his appeal as a character is that he is unique and I like the more magical qualities of the starheart.

give Alan a GL corps ring and he becomes just one of 7000 and his uniqueness and appeal is sacrificed, IMHO.

Cheers.

James.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #45
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Light of Life View Post
I don't think his origin is going to be changed too much, but his ring might have some special part in the spectrum, and we're going to find out what will happen when he goes near a Blue Lantern as well... that should be interesting.

what im really interested in are we gona see where the guardians made the rings at? for instance alan carved his out of a meteor that hit earth. could we see a huge thing with blue lanterns and maybe scott do something of where the green comes from?
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #46
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
what im really interested in are we gona see where the guardians made the rings at? for instance alan carved his out of a meteor that hit earth. could we see a huge thing with blue lanterns and maybe scott do something of where the green comes from?
Didn't Ganthet and Sayd just "make" Blue Rings out of thin air? For all we know, that's what the Guardians did back in the day. Atrocitus formed his out of Blood and Magic, Agent Orange just seemed to get one after he got the Battery, and the Zamarons turned Star Sapphires into Rings.

Alans Ring is unique, so is his whole character, which is why I think we deserve a re-telling of his "official" origins. It could be very interesting.

Think of the Emerald Eye of Ekron, which was a "prototype weapon" created by the Guardians.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #47
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
and.... what is the explanation currently used for why Jay Garrick and Alan Scott NOT being 100 right now?

Is it the Ragnarok/Abraxis scenario from the Armageddon: Inferno story?

And if so... how come people remember Superman Prime but the JSA don't?

Like... how come SOME of the pre-crisis shit changed... but that part didn't?
I guess they were not affected because they were in the Ragnarok pocket dimension.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #48
Light of OA
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

I would definitely keep Alan separate from the Corps. To a certain extent. Some connection must be made between him and the glc. I think blackest night is perfect for that. With the magical aspect of his ring, maybe this is one of the secrets the guardians have been hiding for so long as some of these characters have been talking about. Just maybe, that magical aspect might be the thing to bring back the fallen in blackest night. I don't think he should change, but I wouldn't mind a connection.

Last edited by Light of OA; 12-04-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: misspell
Light of OA is offline   Reply With Quote