The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1
View Poll Results: Alan Scott: The Ongoing Series... would you buy it?
Yes 25 71.43%
No 3 8.57%
JSA is enough Alan Scott for me 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #26
GLJIMT

I think a maxi done by Neil Gaiman and Drawn by Tim Sale is the way to go. And really explore the Magic of Alans Lantern. As only Gaiman could and Tim Sales art would give it a kind of grimy magical essense.

I would by this and I think alot of others would. Plus DC would catch the Gaiman fans that have zero interest in Alan.

I am a Gaiman fan, I am a DC Fan, I had not bought a Marvel Book in nearly 10 years.

Marvel announces 1602 By Gaiman..... It went on my list. and I own all of them, I have no idea where to store them in my collection by I got them, Even with just a basic understanding of the Marvel U I really enjoyed that series

So Gaiman / Sale Presents Alan Scott: Green Lantern
Subtitle: Whence came the Green Flame?

Someone go present this idea to DC now, the more I think about it the better it sounds!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #27
PowerRingE3

Yea, A maxi is probably a better idea, in case of bad sales and it would make a good story without making it drawing out (if they give a decent conclusion)
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I voted for it of course. I love Alan Scott, love him as GL, and I love the JSA.

That said, I do think there would be some big problems making an Alan Scott GL series fly. First off, the guy is in his 90s. Leaving aside the whole bit about his power giving him the ability to change how old he looks, can Dc market a guy in his 90s who looks 50 that's married to a 85 or 90 year old woman? Do they kill molly off? Make Alan single again? What about his costume? I love it and all the outdated outfits of the old JSA, but that works in a team book. On his own, DC would be pressured to revamp Alan and "clean him up" for a new generation. They could deage him to his 20s or 30s again, and then take the Starheart out of him completely to make him 100% human once and for all, so that he'd have to rely on his ring and give the stories someillusion of danger to the character.

The way I honestly see it, is that there are two options for the guy if DC was serious about giving him a shot (which I know they aren't).

One is to deage him and make him follow his path in Kingdom Come. Give him that armor or something that reslembles it. A costume that is red, green, yellow, brown and purple just doesn't work in a mainstream ongoing. Kill off Molly and make a whole new cast of characters, and a new direction. It would need some hook for the series to make it stand out form GL and GLC.

The second is to do a Vertigo series much like Sandman Mystery Theater, and set it in Alan's heyday in the 1940s. Turn away from super hero stories and make it a mystical horror title, where alan fights monsters and magic.

The second choice I listed is the most pleasing to ME, but I could see how DC could play with the first option and make it fly.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #29
PowerRingE3

yea thats what they should have done when they deaged him in GLCQ. I think thats where they was goin but didn't get there. The vertigo idea is the best, it make the most sense but if he gets deaged(again) than molly has to go and a new cast is needed to differ from GLC
Old 08-04-2007, 01:54 AM   #30
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerRingE3 View Post
yea thats what they should have done when they deaged him in GLCQ. I think thats where they was goin but didn't get there. The vertigo idea is the best, it make the most sense but if he gets deaged(again) than molly has to go and a new cast is needed to differ from GLC
Actually I think if the deaged him again, Keep Molly on let him suffer through that. Then have her die of old age while he knows that he has at least another 40 years or so. I think a lot of interesting story could come out of 30ish Alan married to 90ish Molly.

There is serious character developement potential in this
Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #31
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLJIMT View Post
Actually I think if the deaged him again, Keep Molly on let him suffer through that. Then have her die of old age while he knows that he has at least another 40 years or so.
yea thats kinda what i meant. Its kinda like "why did she have to die but i continue to stay young"
Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 AM   #32
GLC2814.4

Huge Alan fan, would definitely buy a regular series, but I agree with the distinguished gentlemen from above this post that say a maxi-series, and Tim Sale would be great, although whoever drew Alan for the GLC Quarterly arcs was also decent.

I think that fact that he is seperate from the Corps is what makes him appealing, I loved all the original stories, the All-Star Squadron redo's of the 70's and 80's, and everything after (although I thought it was more "90's superhero-ing" when they ripped the chest emblem off and he went by Sentinel.

The thing that appeals to me is that he was created in an entirely different time, and Marty Nodell came up with the idea (we all know the story), but I like the fact that it was somewhat inspired by Aladdin's Lamp. Alan should always have that mystical quality about him, sets him apart from the obvious sci-fi heritage that the GLC stems from.

I dont have it in front of me, but I think it was a one shot called "In Brightest Day" (was about Alan's first run in with Grundy redux) that would be a great style for a new series.

We need an Alan smiley, I'm gonna wear Kyle out -
Old 09-10-2007, 04:41 AM   #33
GLJIMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC2814.4 View Post
Impossible, he has Ion..................oh wait
Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
All right, let me work on one.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #35
genesistorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
All right, let me work on one.
Well, and a John and Guy one!!
Pleeeeease??
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #36
GLC2814.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesistorm View Post
Well, and a John and Guy one!!
Pleeeeease??
Crap, I done opened Pandora's Box now, aint I -
Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 AM   #37
GLC2814.4

OMIGOD! You are fantabulous! Muchos Thank Yous!!

Going to have to reinvent the Kyle-o-Meter of hotness.

In order of coolness - My opinion, so Kyle haters, shut it!

- The shiznit of all shiznits
- Sophisticated and cool, like expensive champagne
- Still cool, but sagging a bit in the coinpurse
- Straight donkey-shite
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #38
genesistorm

Quote:
Crap, I done opened Pandora's Box now, aint I -
No! I just asked for John, and Guy.. and maybe Kilowog, Salaak, Arisia has to be there too..
oh, and why not Katma Tui?
Maybe Kreon, and....
(goes on as the sound fades slowly..)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #39
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

i'd prefer a mini or maxi rather an ongoing
Old 12-06-2007, 08:21 PM   #40
Greenlant78
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

I love Alan the way he is, no need to deage. His JSA:Classifieds atest to that. I voted yes because as of late I feel he's getting snubbed out of the JSA. Everyones seeing action but we really aren't seeing Alan. I enjoy the fact he's not a member of the corp, it would be like reading JLA, compared to JSA..2 similar books that read and feel different. I like the idea of a more "paranormal" feel to the book, but I really like the idea of him being the guy watching over the streets, as we really don't see that in the current GL series.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #41
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Would I buy it? Yes. As a monthly? It would really depend on the story quality, if it worked in smaller arcs, yes. If it was drawn out to have ever story take 6 issues with most of each issue being talky (Bendis?), no.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #42
Prime
Attention Whore

Meh. Alan's my least favorite Earth GL. JSA is enough Alan for me.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM   #43
JMW326
Green Lantern Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to JMW326

I would buy it and give it a try if the creative team was good. They would have to hook me with some good artwork first.
JMW326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #44
SHADOWLANTERN

I would. I mean the he is the seasoned vet They all come to him for advise. His power ring is more on the magic thing and the Guardians can always call on him if that's a magic problem that the lanterns can't handle. That's a angle or story line.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:41 AM   #45
Prime
Attention Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWLANTERN View Post
I would. I mean the he is the seasoned vet They all come to him for advise. His power ring is more on the magic thing and the Guardians can always call on him if that's a magic problem that the lanterns can't handle. That's a angle or story line.
Not a bad idea.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #46
HalFingJordan

Far as I'm concerned Alan was just keeping the name alive until the Silver Age came around and they made the real Green Lantern. But I'm biased.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #47
zhivago

I prefer to see Alan in supporting roles
Old 12-19-2007, 04:05 AM   #48
Myth

Actually they explained part of why Alan has a ring again and why he looks older. Alan's appearance is based upon how he views himself, and when he was the Sentinel he still imagined himself as a young man in his prime. Now that he's accepted his age and his growing responsibilities, he views himself as he should. The ring on his finger is purely symbolic as all of his powers are internalized.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:09 AM   #49
Lishego

if it had a good writer or good artist, I love the charcter, but any book poorly written is a turn off, or if the art just blows.