The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Indigo Lantern
Kyle's Nude Model

Send a message via AIM to Indigo Lantern Send a message via Skype™ to Indigo Lantern
Default New to the Lantern universe, read a little but where do I continue?

Kind people of TGLC,

I am very much new to the green lantern universe, I read my first green lantern comic just a few days ago after a rewatch of the JL/JLU animated and the (dare I say) not too good GL movie.

I've read DC:New Frontier and http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...-lantern-vol-6.

And this website; http://stefanmesch.wordpress.com/201...reading-order/

Adviced me to continue reading in brightest day.

As I download my comics(due to lack of physical comics in my area, I started with Brightest Day #1(Green lantern Corps 47), and immediately I've confused the heck out of myself.

So now I have no idea where to continue, and I'd like your advice(fan of John Stewart due to the JL/JLA thing, but all lanterns are cool).

Also, is the list I've been using bad? Do you guys have a better list? (and I apoligize if a list was 'stickied' somewhere on this forums, but I am horrid at forums.

Sorry for the incoherent long post, thanks for reading and perhaps helping!

Regards,

Indigo
Indigo Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Taking a look at the website you provided I'd say a lot of that list is overkill for a new reader, and if you want to get into current day GL (modern day GL doesn't even make the list until #47). That being said I'll let someone else comment on the effectiveness of the list since I haven't read a lot of the things on there and I'm not sure how much it'll contribute to your enjoyment.
As for your confusion, "In Brightest Day" which is listed at the #2 spot on that list is different from "Brightest Day" which is what you got, lol.

Anyways in my opinion if you want to jump onto to GL now there are two options:

#1) Start with Volume 4 which is what kicked off the "modern" era of Green Lantern. There's a slightly out of date reading order located here that lists the trades in order. While you might be a bit confused if you don't have exposure to the various backstories, I think that can be resolved rather easily via this forum/wikipedia (it's what I did when I read Rebirth for the first time).

#2) Jump on with Volume 5. DC recently relaunched/rebooted all their comics with new #1 issues. These are designed to be starting points for new readers and we're only about 6 issues in so catching should be rather trivial. Volume 5 however is very dependent on Volume 4 though, so it might be worth the time/money/effort to get the older trades

Hope that helps and happy reading!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Indigo Lantern
Kyle's Nude Model

Send a message via AIM to Indigo Lantern Send a message via Skype™ to Indigo Lantern

I see, any must-reads before I get into volume 4? Perhaps IN Brightest day?

-- Edit--

Also, check out my kickass signature.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

No. You already know the basics of GL, so just dive into that collection reading order for Volume 4. Anything before that would be out of your own curiosity, not continuity.

Sidenote: I just updated the end of that reading order.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Indigo Lantern
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
No. You already know the basics of GL, so just dive into that collection reading order for Volume 4. Anything before that would be out of your own curiosity, not continuity.

Sidenote: I just updated the end of that reading order.
Thanks for the update, this'll replace the list I had.

On another note, should I read anything before getting into volume 4? A few things confused me(the phantom, other lanterns thing).
Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

No. Just about everything before Volume 4 was removed from continuity, anyway, so it would only serve to confuse you. I'd say you could even start with "The Sinestro Corps War," which is all collected in trade paperback format.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
No. Just about everything before Volume 4 was removed from continuity, anyway, so it would only serve to confuse you. I'd say you could even start with "The Sinestro Corps War," which is all collected in trade paperback format.
Yeah. When the modern guys reference old stuff like that they're not really building on it, they're "retconning" it. That means they use the old elements (say a villain like Black Hand or Krona) but they completely change them around to fit their modern purposes. If you went back and tried to track down all those old references, you'd just be frustrated by how different they are.

That's the kind of thing you can do if/when you are really up to date on the new (series 4 and later) Green Lantern.
—Barry McGuire
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Indigo Lantern
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Thank you so much for this. I tend to be annoyed when I don't understand something, and I think this should be sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
That's the kind of thing you can do if/when you are really up to date on the new (series 4 and later) Green Lantern.
But still, I'm not 100% new to GL, but if I were I'd be even more confused. Also, is it common that the whole JL gets involved or am I reading the wrong comic again?

Last edited by Indigo Lantern; 02-23-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Indigo Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Lantern View Post
Also, is it common that the whole JL gets involved or am I reading the wrong comic again?
The whole JLA rarely makes an appearance in Green Lantern titles. That would be most likely in very large crossover events (like Blackest Night) and even then its not usually more than a few other characters.

All the books you're interested in should definitely say "Green Lantern" on the cover (GL, GL Corps, GL Emerald Warriors, and now GL New Guardians) with the possible exception of the new Red Lanterns.
—Barry McGuire
Old 02-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

For John specifically you could pick up the tail end of the last GLC volume which paired him with Lantern Kyle Rayner. The two fought against the Cyborg Superman as well as the Qwardian Weaponer later on, and John became an Indigo Lantern in "War of the Green Lanterns" in which he did some pretty wicked stuff. The Aftermath specials afterward bridged the gap between the War and the New 52 #1's, and set up John partnering up with Guy Gardner.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Indigo Lantern
Kyle's Nude Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
, and John became an Indigo Lantern in "War of the Green Lanterns"
That's an actual thing? I've got some reading to do.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Lantern View Post
That's an actual thing? I've got some reading to do.
You didn't know that? That is kind of funny.

As to why his face looks like that in the 2nd pic, I won't spoil it for you.
—Barry McGuire
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah... I almost spoiled it on accident.

On a side note Indigo, since this particular John moment happened in a series most didn't care for, way back when he was responsible for the planet Xanshi's destruction. It's the biggest mistake he's never been able to get past, and one of Kyle and John's deadliest enemies is the lone survivor of Xanshi... the former GL murderer and current Star Sapphire [appearing in New Guardians] Fatality. Do some digging on her on wikipedia and if you can't find the issues she appeared in I think I have the original story in doubles or even triples I wouldn't care to sell ya for cheap. I think it was a three issue arc during Kyle's rookie days, around issues #83-85.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote