The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 11-24-2020, 10:47 PM   #126
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
That's where we're different, because unless it's a trait that is essential to the character, I accept that characters (especially in an ongoing multiverse) will change in certain ways. Nick Fury was initially white in the comics. Now most of the world's concept of who he is centers around the MCU version, but the race change didn't change anything vital about the character.
If I heard that the Arrowverse was going to feature an older Kyle who was divorced and no longer interested in dating, I wouldn't just throw up my hands. There are still ways to make Kyle the character that he's meant to be, even under those circumstances. That's true for most characters.
The race change alone didn't change anything vital about Nick Fury, but he most certainly wasn't a Howling Commando back during WWII, he didn't lose his eye in battle, nor was he given the Infinity Serum to slow his aging. Not to mention he was in SHIELD at it's earliest stages. No, we got desk jockey Fury who lost his eye to Carol Danvers' f***ing cat that was brought into SHIELD proper BECAUSE of interacting with Carol. Ultimate Comics Fury was still Nick Fury, MCU Fury is just trash after the bullshit that was Captain Marvel.

An older divorced Kyle might be something new and done well enough, however it's not the same as changing his sexuality to non-binary or making him Cuban instead of half Mexican and letting us know about it with every appearance. Every time he's advertised as a 'popular Hispanic hero' it makes me cringe, not because I'm not okay with the retcon but because at the height of his popularity he was of Irish decent and the retcon didn't come until much later. He's done alright since then, but it has less to do with him now being part Hispanic and more to due with the fact he had a solid fanbase BEFORE the changes were ever introduced.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #127
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
The race change alone didn't change anything vital about Nick Fury, but he most certainly wasn't a Howling Commando back during WWII, he didn't lose his eye in battle, nor was he given the Infinity Serum to slow his aging. Not to mention he was in SHIELD at it's earliest stages. No, we got desk jockey Fury who lost his eye to Carol Danvers' f***ing cat that was brought into SHIELD proper BECAUSE of interacting with Carol. Ultimate Comics Fury was still Nick Fury, MCU Fury is just trash after the bullshit that was Captain Marvel.
I don't want to get too far off topic, but I thought Captain Marvel was a solid overall effort. It's not top 5 in the MCU, but it did a lot of things well. However, one of those things was not the adaptation of the Kree-Skrull war. There isn't supposed to be a sympathetic side in that conflict. That didn't sit well with me.