Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a Crimson in my stash so I'll practice with a few things before I find the right one (and even then I just like Rose -- since I can't have First Curse in D2), and I rather liked Thorn in D1 so hopefully I find the handling much the same. We'll see.

I'll try the upscaled version of The Arms Dealer for the exotic bow quest tomorrow since the modifiers are much more punishing and I need to be sure of my setup (probably going to run Nightstalker to both handle mobs and benefit my allies).

...I never even touched the original Leviathan raid, so Legend of Acrius is just lying around in my Hunter's quest log.

Anyway, I downloaded Mortal Kombat XL. I seriously want to get Injustice 2 Legendary Edition, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, and Axion Verge as well (and maybe Resident Evil Revelations, but I haven't decided on that one just yet).

God, these ongoing sales are both saving me a shitload of money and making me splurge.

edit -- also received my PS3 copy of the original Assassin's Creed. Eventually I'll get around to playing it.
    Agent Purple
    The Illustrated Man
    Last edited by Agent Purple; 05-21-2020, 01:55 AM. Reason: Hidden Post, Crouching Edit
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• I completed the hellish reprise of Savathun's Song for the last step of the Thorn quest today. The final boss took my team and me a dozen or so attempts with differing strategies and weapon sets until we finally got through it. I was using Bygones, Wavesplitter, and Hammerhead in the victorious run, which is weird since my tryhardiest set up is Crimson, Point of the Stag, and Hammerhead. Made me rethink my tryhard setup, but only just. I was also using Blade Barrage instead of Mobius Quiver, so I don't know what was going on with that. It was just a really difficult boss fight.
      Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

• Tried to grind 1000 shotgun kills for the last real step of Felwinter's Lie, but going into Shattered Throne with no experience there and weak gear was not a good idea (and I'll just ruin the lore experience). Instead went to Mars for Escalation Protocol, which helps deal with the Rose quest anyway. Me and randoms did up to level 4 before I needed to hop off.

Bought the Deluxe Edition of LEGO DC Super-Villains, got all the DLC as well. Only had time to get past the first stage of the prison and exited the game when it gave me control of Joker. I designed my custom character to basically be a redheaded female Deathstroke named Red Scorpion (got the name after watching Brandon Tenold's review of the Lundgren '80s action flick).

Still need to download AC Odyssey Gold Edition and Injustice 2 Legendary Edition. I watched ACG's review of Maneater and it looks like pretty solid dumb fun but I'll wait for the developer, Tripwire Interactive, to fix some bugs and to discount the game to hopefully $20 because $40 is a steep request even with most games being $60.

Comment

• /\If you had the XBone we could be trading kill challenges in Hitman seasons.

Comment

• One day I'll get an X1X and slowly work my way through some gems. I gotta focus on paying off my second student loan ($3k) and I am seriously planning to get a new car maybe next month or the month after, the sooner the better. Problem is that means even with 0% APR for 60 months (shit you not, Subaru is having this right now and will probably renew it) I won't get a huge amount for my trade and I'll end up with a car payment, hopefully no higher than $200.

Comment

• Gaming is expensive. I probably won’t get the next gen. At this point, I really only maintain for MK and Hitman and happen to get/play a few others along the way. That’s probably not enough to justify the money.

Comment

• I tried this afternoon to get one very difficult mission done in Destiny 2 so I could finally get another exotic quest done. I couldn't believe my luck when I loaded into the end of the mission...only to be nearly insta-killed because despite the mission power level being 900 and myself being 980, I was experiencing mission modifiers that cranked up the enemy health and damage while disabling the mini-map.

One of the other players left, another joined, and after several tries we barely managed to beat it. Leviathan's Breath is now mine, and I'm dreading doing the Savathun's Song ultra-hard version for Thorn even if I do like that gun. Rose/Lumina quest is slowly progressing thanks to Escalation Protocol, but I need to get an understanding of Blind Well as an alternative grind and I still need to get a high score in a nightfall.

I'm at around 80% of the thousand shotgun kills needed for Felwinter's Lie before it's permanently closed out (maybe, who knows if they'll bring it back later), I should be done sometime tomorrow or Monday evening at the latest. I'm probably not going to get Fourth Horseman in time but I barely used that gun in Destiny 1, so that's hardly a major loss.

I should really get to trying out Uncharted and Shadow of Mordor, but I decided to fire up LEGO DC Super-Villains. It's a large step forward from the last time I played a LEGO game, and it just feels good to goof around as a cartoon bad guy (and the selection is huge). Only issue I encountered so far was when I was driving around town in the Joker Truck and reached Clayface in Chinatown to recruit him, for some reason the Truck moved forward when I was not even in it and got stuck on the sidewalk. I'd say Harley suddenly skating after the Truck instead of riding inside is also a bug but she was in where she needed to be at each section so I guess it worked out.

I can only imagine how long it'll take me to unlock all the secrets in this game, and I'm already having flashbacks to when I worked myself silly in LEGO Star Wars getting everything.

Comment

• 1) Got to Gorilla City and beat the boss, saved and quit. LEGO DCSV really needs to wait until I make a little more progress in Destiny 2.

2) Bungie is providing a grace period to nearly-complete bounties before expiring them, but I don't really know what that fully entails. I at least need to finish the 35 encounters and 50k nightfall score for the Lumina quest, and I should have time this weekend at the least. Sadly I can't just do solo Escalation Protocol because that doesn't count. Guess it's Blind Well. Oh, and I like the look of the Felwinter's Lie ornament but refuse to pay real money.

3) Downloaded Injustice 2: Legendary Edition but don't have the time to start it right now. At some point I need to get the first one.

4) Watched The Completionist's review of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, and he does an absolutely phenomenal job (only exceptions being two player titles that literally nobody, even pro players, have any idea how to actually unlock). Dude put in 100 or so hours and over 3,300 online matches and beat the game something like a hundred-plus times. I'm honestly in awe of him and his dedication, both to playing the game and making a comprehensive video.

After seeing it, I've decided to grab that game, probably Axiom Verge, and AC Odyssey Gold Edition before the current sale ends over the next couple days (so it doesn't take absolutely forever to download everything). Once that's done, I'm going to have to let at least one more paycheck roll in before I buy anymore discounted games I want.

Comment

• Been playing Destiny 2 pretty much exclusively this past week. Got a bunch of my online friends to pick it back up, too. We had a party of five last night, but at least two more are re-installing it, so we should have plenty for a couple fire teams soon enough. Gonna try to put a rais together for next weekend. Probably just the first Leviathon raid, as most of them haven't done it, yet, and I've only done it once. If it goes well, we may end up tackling more each week. We already do enough together to cover all the other clan engrams, and one of them and myself regularly run guided games for people seeking, just because we can. But yeah, all things considered, it should be fun.

I'm probably gonna try to refocus a bit on some single player games, though. I've been wanting to revisit the Dragon Age trilogy for a while, so I might do that. I've got so many other sole player games on my backlog, though, so I probably shouldn't. I need to burn through some of those.

I did try my hand at Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, and was quite enjoying it until I ran into a puzzle I couldn't solve. Yeah I could look it up online, but I don't like to use walkthroughs on my first time through a game, so if I get stuck I get stuck. Oh, well. Spent nearly three hours trying to solve the thing before quitting and deleting the game. It seemed like I was so close so many times, but for whatever reason I couldn't find it, and that's the end of a game run for me. If it's too difficult to complete without a guide, I don't play it.

Thinking about picking up Red Dead Redemption 2 or God of War next. Or maybe Shadow of War, or even Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I dunno. So many options in my backlog, I'll probably just end up playing more Destiny 2.

Comment

• I completed an invitation from the Nine in Destiny 2, saw a cutscene with the Drifter and some random Hunter using what had to be a Thorn replica. I had to ask my one friend for details because that confused the hell out of me. Still need to do the nightfall so that I can progress Rose/Lumina. I also (FINALLY) flipped through my copy of The Art of Destiny, Volume 2 and it really made me want to go back and do the raids again to complete my armor/weapon sets. Maybe some day.

Decided to feel generous last night and after doing a few of the weekly Black Tusk invasions in Division 2, I accepted another player's call. My response was immediate even though it took a couple minutes to load into the mission (because the servers are notoriously fickle). Surprise! The mission said "Normal" but was actually "Challenging" and me and the host had to wipe at several spots before completing it because I'm barely doing enough damage on that difficulty and the enemies are absolute assholes. Oh, and the host abruptly disconnected during the final attempt at the boss, which almost gave me a heart attack. He rejoined after I astonishingly managed to snatch victory from the jaws of certain defeat, I saluted, and departed. Earlier today I tried to use the call for backup option to get a full squad while doing Hard mode District Union Arena, but only one person got the invite and they declined, and then I couldn't get anyone else to respond so I just ended up doing it all solo. I have the sinking feeling this will continue until I get Warlords DLC and max my character again.

I'm almost done with downloading discounted games. I grabbed Lords of the Fallen Complete Edition last night and AC Rogue Remastered this morning. Other than AC Origins Gold Edition there isn't much left that I really feel the need to get before the sales end, and the stuff I've bought will last me a damn while longer.

I've also been watching a ton of old Mortal Kombat videos because I could never beat the games except for 1 (Shao Kahn, man, he beat me like I owed my mucho dinero), and it made me want to hunt down collectable copies of the first few games on Genesis, and maybe even get and play Trilogy on PlayStation 1 (thankfully PS2 can play PS1 games and use the memory cards). But then I saw I already have Trilogy for PS1 when I was grabbing Art of Destiny Volume 2 off the shelf. Saved myself a mistake there.

I also spent a chunk of today watching Rick Kackis videos explaining the Leviathan raid and Eater of Worlds and Spire of Stars. At some point I'd like to do all the Destiny 2 raid content but sheesh, the mechanics being so heavy makes all the Leviathan stuff feel like I'm right back in King's Fall.

I'll do the nightfall tomorrow evening after dinner.

Comment

• Shit happened, apparently my mother is becoming increasingly delusional (she now wants a gun in the house because she's a scared old white woman, etc), so I had to message my older sister to get her up to speed and hopefully she can talk her out of this bullshit.

But then I decided to try the Ordeal nightfall on Adept to test the waters and ended up with a score of 30k and a new emblem. It wasn't overly difficult but I don't have time to do the regular nightfall now (which sucks, because it's Inverted Spire, which I like and now must wait for on another week). I'll knuckle up and use r/fireteams for a crew tomorrow. Also, since I completed a nightfall the Risk/Reward quest updated and...gave me Riskrunner. Which the game gives you during the Red War story anyway. Seriously, Bungie? I mean, yes, visiting the Cosmodrome again, fighting the Fallen and Spider Tanks, and doing the jumping puzzle was a nostalgic treat, but come the hell on.

But yes, interesting night for me.

Comment

• Last night, my the guys in my clan decided at the last minute that our final ceucible game of the night was going to be a triumph run... One Hand Behind Our Backs... no one was forbidden from failing it, but none of us wanted to be the first one to break the triumph, and so in the end we succeeded. We won a match with a full fireteam without anyone casting their super, and at 150-67 it wasn't even a close match. Good times.

Comment

• That's great news, man!

A good friend of mine has been helping me with my Lumina quest lately, equipping his own copy and doing strikes/Menagerie with me (which started my Truth quest). We also did a few nightfalls, namely Will of the Thousands (I destroyed every crystal I could find even though that's probably not retroactive, but whatever) and then Insight Terminus for Hero Ordeal (a couple times even, but once the second run ended with ~87k points I heard thunder outside and immediately logged off to preserve my PS4 from power loss).

He also had his current clan's founder invite me and I accepted, getting access to a couple clan engrams (nothing special but still good to have). Dude even told me about easy raid loot in Last Wish and Garden of Salvation so we did the Wishing Wall chest and I got the Hunter helmet; I'd love to get the auto rifle from Garden but we'll see.

Maybe this weekend I'll try out Survival so I can get rolling on Broadsword again.

Comment

• A few members of my clan and I beat the Leviathan raid over the weekend, so I was able to get the Watcher lenses I needed for the Izanagi's Burden quest. The rest of that quest should be simple enough, though I am now stuck needing a rare bounty, which is unfortunate as I had just completed one before that requirement popped up. But such as it is. We're planning to do the Eater of Worlds raid this upcoming weekend, and none of us have done that one before, so it should be fun.

In related news, I went to turn on my 4KTV today to hop on and do my daily bunker buster, but the TV wouldn't turn on. I did some trouble shooting to no avail, and wound up calling my friend, through whom I purchased it, and he says it sound like a bad power board (he's on a Geek Squad for Best Buy), and said he'd transfer the warranty to me tomorrow, so I can call my local Best Buy to have them come and take a look at it and/or replace it with a similar model -- which will technically be an upgrade at a loss for the company. But then that's what you buy their extended protection plans for.

At any rate, I still have my old HDTV, so hopefully I'll get that hooked up tomorrow. It sucks, though, I've been waiting for the Seventh Seraph auto-rifle to be the weapon of the day for the last week or so, and now that I can't get on, Rasputin finally has it up... ah, well.

Comment

• Moved forward a bunch in Shadowkeep, now my Hunter has a full (poorly-rolled) Dreambane armor set (which looks dope, and I put on some nice shaders to make it look hella scary-sexy). I have to say the red specters as patrol beacons is an amazing and welcome change, and I had fun running around the Moon again (went into the old observatory near the broken sky-bridge and found a figure that said I lacked something, so I guess there's plenty for me to uncover all over again).

I did unlock the Tranquility sniper (while using my new Beloved), and the Horned Wreath item I needed to find was in the Chamber of Night. It sounded familiar but I watched a video to be sure and had immediate Vietnam Flashback Syndrome from playing Destiny 1 and being trapped in the boss room during the Taken King campaign.

I moved forward some quests:

Only need to do the timed mission to unlock Outbreak Perfected, and then again on Heroic for the catalyst

Defeated the Evil Meatball Primeval to begin the Malfeasance quest

Slight kill progress with Void damage to move Thorn forward

Almost done with the Tommy's Matchbook catalyst

Randomly received Cerberus +1 and then its catalyst, and was doing a heroic public event and found a yellow triangle on the ground which turned out to be Fighting Lion's catalyst

Lumina will be difficult from here because I need to kill an invading player in Gambit before he kills a teammate, which will be borderline impossible because I'm mediocre in PvP

Grabbed a lot of Gambit quests, and I actually progressed the Free Advertising quest a bit (hopefully it hasn't reset for this new season). I find myself liking Gambit and even Prime more than regular Crucible, and hopefully I can get some of that armor and some well-rolled weapons in time.

Managed to grab the class armor Valkyrian skins last night before bed. I don't like the Valkyrian skins at all but they at least give another option.

"The Dorito People of Nebulon IV" is my favorite way of describing the Black Pyramid Ships. Thanks, Datto.

Well, looks like some of the emblem/shader quests are gone for good, so I guess I'm going to have to make sure to complete these new ones in time.

Comment

Working...
                                X