The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lanterns
FLASHCHAT

View Poll Results: Rate GLs #9
* 0 0%
** 2 28.57%
*** 2 28.57%
**** 2 28.57%
***** 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default Green Lanterns #9 *Preview/Spoilers*

Green Lanterns #9 Preview
Writer: Sam Humphries
Artist: Robson Rocha

Old 10-19-2016, 04:11 AM   #2
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Awesome few pages of Hal in there. For anyone who's a "Moon Knight" fan, this pilot guy, if he does turn out to be the bad guy, reminds me of "The Black Spectre" who was that mirror image guy of the hero who ended up becoming a villain, because he felt like life cheated him out of heroic glory rather than realize it was never in him to be a hero - that a hero would have risen above his circumstances rather than succumb to bitterness and take it out on the world.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Issue out. Poll up. Review Posted.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

They dug THAT guy up to use? Is he going to end up a doppleganger for Hal?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
They dug THAT guy up to use? Is he going to end up a doppleganger for Hal?
Who knows. For now he's just a trouble maker instigating someone else to challenge the GLs.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
jhpace1
Guy's Drinking Buddy

So we get the life story of an "also-ran" guy. Who briefly met GL Hal Jordan in the past, but fell from grace with his life. Then he finds out there's so many human GLs he might have a chance as well, and spends the next 5, 10, or 15 years "training" himself to be a Green Lantern. And almost gets a ring. Except for a strange "malfunction". So what does Mr. Second Pick do? Wallow in his anger until a mysterious stranger tells him about the Phantom Ring.

Artwork was acceptable, characterizations couldn't be measured (seeing the GLs of Earth from the outside, totally new guy). Rather than Guy Gardner's clone or Hal Jordan from Earth-3 or Parallax or someone we old fans knew about, it's someone totally new. So how does a (self-trained) Joe Sixpack get his hands on a power ring? It's either got to be totally contrived or a lucky series of events. Of course, Simon and Jessica are still "rookies", which doesn't help. And having a rogue Guardian with full powers should keep Joe Sixpack from walking up and stealing the ring, right?

We'll see. Two mediocre stars.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
BLACK HAND
Fatality's Blacksmith

I liked this issue, nice origin story from a man on the street perspective; I could imagine more than a few nuts really looking for an angle to get their hands on the power rings.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK HAND View Post
I liked this issue, nice origin story from a man on the street perspective; I could imagine more than a few nuts really looking for an angle to get their hands on the power rings.
Ha. You really are catching up.

Yeah, just think how many of us here talk about wanting and what we'd do with a power ring. Imagine if they were a reality.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #9
BLACK HAND
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Ha. You really are catching up.

Yeah, just think how many of us here talk about wanting and what we'd do with a power ring. Imagine if they were a reality.
Yes I enjoyed that concept, and who hasn't felt like second best in their life, or constantly passed over for promotion or recognition? I would like more of these outside-of-the-box concepts in the book. The title really allows for endless possibility.

I can see most people using the ring selfishly, and there is probably a huge fear of keeping that power. It would be like a life on the run.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 AM   #10
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
It makes a great deal of sense that some people would aspire to be Lanterns, and a select few would become obsessed. This is an expansion of Ragnar's story premise, which was a well-conceived one.
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
It makes a great deal of sense that some people would aspire to be Lanterns, and a select few would become obsessed. This is an expansion of Ragnar's story premise, which was a well-conceived one.
It also reminded me of that Kyle story (vol. 3) where he gave an amputee construct legs and when they shorted out he became obsessed with getting the ring.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
BLACK HAND
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
It also reminded me of that Kyle story (vol. 3) where he gave an amputee construct legs and when they shorted out he became obsessed with getting the ring.
That sounds like an amazing story. I'd like to see more of those grounded emotional stories in the Green Lanterns title, leave the epic space stuff for Hal's title.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
That sounds like an amazing story. I'd like to see more of those grounded emotional stories in the Green Lanterns title, leave the epic space stuff for Hal's title.
I can't remember now whether that was all in one comic (like "six months later") or they spread it out. I do remember that the guy was walking up the stairs of the Statue of Liberty when Kyle was knocked unconscious or something and the construct legs gave out. One of the Kylies here could probably point you in the right direction.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
I can't remember now whether that was all in one comic (like "six months later") or they spread it out. I do remember that the guy was walking up the stairs of the Statue of Liberty when Kyle was knocked unconscious or something and the construct legs gave out. One of the Kylies here could probably point you in the right direction.
As I recall, him losing the legs wasn't because of Kyle (unless you count Kyle being responsible for the way they worked). In order for him to use the legs he had to actually concentrate, applying willpower, I think. He cut his hand on something part way up the Statue of Liberty's stairs, lost concentration, and lost his legs as a consequence. It's been a long time since I read it, so that may be a bit off, but I had the impression that his loss of the legs wasn't permanent, but that he came to hate that they were unreliable. At least enough that he was susceptible to Neron's temptation when he came calling, during the next big crossover event.