Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 10-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #26
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
We'll have to be careful, though. Sometimes GLs died during Geoff's tenure on GL, but in other books he didn't write. It is sometimes hard to recall which ones those were.

Unless we just want to blame him for all of it, under the assumption that he was controlling all things GL behind the scenes...I'm not sure I'm prepared to believe that he micromanaged other titles quite that much, though, to dictate specific GLs to die.
List the ones you're confident he killed off. Put an asterisk beside the others.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #27
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Well, I'll start it off by saying I know he killed Saarek, in the lead-up to Blackest Night I think.

Also, as everybody knows, he also brought Hal Jordan back to life (I think he was supposed to still be technically dead as the Spectre, right?).

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-12-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Do you even count all the times a ring would come floating back and say the ring bearer of such and such sector was dead? So many nameless GLs died off panel. To do this you have to skim through every issue of his run, and those he heavily oversaw. Just to get a number.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #29
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The Lanternless rings would count. And if it happened under his supervision but he didn't carry out the execution himself, list it but put an asterix beside it.

Just list all the ones you can think of.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:17 PM   #30
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Do you even count all the times a ring would come floating back and say the ring bearer of such and such sector was dead? So many nameless GLs died off panel. To do this you have to skim through every issue of his run, and those he heavily oversaw. Just to get a number.
I could be wrong, but it also seemed like in the big events there were a bunch of nameless GLs that get mowed down but whom we can't be sure died. It's kind of like counting the fatalities in The Longest Day.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 AM   #31
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I could be wrong, but it also seemed like in the big events there were a bunch of nameless GLs that get mowed down but whom we can't be sure died. It's kind of like counting the fatalities in The Longest Day.
This is for the Lanterns who other writers created and he killed off. But if you know of any of his own Lanterns he killed off, please list them with that designation. Don't bother with the nameless ones.

And please restrict this to GREEN Lanterns.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #32
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Chaselon and Jack T. Chance.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #33
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Okay here's a question:

Continuity-wise:

Where exactly is Hal Jordan chronologically in the Justice League "Darkseid War" arc? In the latest one he looks like his mainstream, normal self, and he is rushing to protect Oa. Hence we can infer there is an OA to save.

I'm assuming the whole GL renegade mullet Hal with Krona's gauntlet is sometime *before* the Darkseid war arc or is this a different GL universe completely?
Locomoco808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #34
Space Cop
The Dandy

We posted an article somewhere here where TPTB at DC said Justice League's continuity was loose with the greater DCU. Technically, Superman should also be depowered and Batman should be Jim Gordon in a robotic suit. So, basically Johns wanted to have his cake and eat it too---using the classic version of the league (with Cyborg) no matter what they're doing in their own books. All of which seems to boil down to them not saying whether this is before Lost Army/Renegade or after.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:23 AM   #35
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yep. No continuity between the books at the moment. They can each do what they want to do.

It's for the best. DC has already destroyed continuity; they might as well stop pretending it exists and see if they can make better stories because of it.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 AM   #36
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Jeebus that sounds like the most dysfunctional arrangement I've ever heard.

No wonder you lot are often disgruntled.

Whatever DC execs are making, cut it by half.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:24 AM   #37
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomoco808 View Post
Jeebus that sounds like the most dysfunctional arrangement I've ever heard.

No wonder you lot are often disgruntled.

Whatever DC execs are making, cut it by half.
I dig up a couple of the comic news sites' articles on this from the summer, in case you want more detail:

From Newsarama: So Just How Loose Is DC's New 'Loose' Continuity?

and

From Bleeding Cool: A League Of Its Own?

It had been happening more or less since the beginning of the New 52 (like Dave said) and could be seen in the lack of connection between say Wonder Woman and Justice League or Harley Quinn and Suicide Squad, but DC made it official (if you can make something this vague "official") after Convergence.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #38
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default The greatest story never told

I really enjoyed the beginning of Volume 3 of Green Lantern, the Gerard Jones, Broderick, MD Bright renaissance of the Green Lantern franchise, growing from no books to eventually 3 monthlies and a quarterly. Anyway one of the storylines that never got fully addressed but that I was most hyped about was issue #19 Lantern's Light, in which Alan's Scott's apparition calls out to Hal, John and Guy . It really excited me because Alan was/is in my 3 favorite all time DC characters, along with Hal and Lightning Lad. That plus some silly DC editorial mandates had exiled the JSA into a stupid Norse Limbo, and the JSA was one of my three favorite DC franchises, along with the GLC and the LSH. The story however went no where because it was never mentioned again, probably because DC was saving the JSA rebirth for later, however my question is this, has/have any of you guys ever talked to Gerard Jones about the story he wanted to tell? There are tales of untold tales like what the storyline was going to be if Emerald Twilight didn't happen so I was curious if what Jones wanted to do with this storyline was supposed to be?
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:28 AM   #39
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Question about Pre-New52 Emerald Twilight Parallax and the impending showdown with Krona-Gauntlet Hal Jordan present continuity:

Regarding his abilities/power level. This guy has Parallax inside him-- ALONG with essentially the power levels of all the 3600 of the dead/retconned GL's from the universe he came from, ALONG with having ate their Central power battery. Oh, and ALONG with Parallax itself being the living embodiment/prime source of Fear.

Which I'm assuming "it" (Parallax) doesn't tap into much since all you see is overly blatant use of Will energy whenever Hal/Parallax uses his powers. (What I'm saying is.. and maybe I'm being a bit anal about... if Hal/Parallax uses Fear power, it would be yellow energy correct?)

I know there's a lot of retconning going on and not all of it is going to make complete sense, just wondering if this is the basic gist of what you old-time fans are thinking of even in the present "loose" continuity of the DC universe.

I mean, we've never seen (yet) the Hal/Parallax exhibit some kind of dual Will/Fear power exhibition right? But we might? I mean technically it's possible?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #40
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomoco808 View Post
Question about Pre-New52 Emerald Twilight Parallax and the impending showdown with Krona-Gauntlet Hal Jordan present continuity:

Regarding his abilities/power level. This guy has Parallax inside him-- ALONG with essentially the power levels of all the 3600 of the dead/retconned GL's from the universe he came from, ALONG with having ate their Central power battery. Oh, and ALONG with Parallax itself being the living embodiment/prime source of Fear.

Which I'm assuming "it" (Parallax) doesn't tap into much since all you see is overly blatant use of Will energy whenever Hal/Parallax uses his powers. (What I'm saying is.. and maybe I'm being a bit anal about... if Hal/Parallax uses Fear power, it would be yellow energy correct?)

I know there's a lot of retconning going on and not all of it is going to make complete sense, just wondering if this is the basic gist of what you old-time fans are thinking of even in the present "loose" continuity of the DC universe.

I mean, we've never seen (yet) the Hal/Parallax exhibit some kind of dual Will/Fear power exhibition right? But we might? I mean technically it's possible?
New 52 Parallax via Convergence as I understand it is the original. He doesn't know of the alien fear parasite -- this version is the one who assumes he did what he did to set things straight, with some guilt of what he did and presuming Renegade Hal will also fail Coast City.

His power level should be off the charts as the time travelled- parallel universe tralleling character with the entire power of the GLC.

New 52 Gauntlet Renegade Hal has an unpredictable weapon -- but should be a significant underdog in the upcoming conflict...
Old 02-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #41
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
New 52 Parallax via Convergence as I understand it is the original. He doesn't know of the alien fear parasite -- this version is the one who assumes he did what he did to set things straight, with some guilt of what he did and presuming Renegade Hal will also fail Coast City...
I agree, but since the Fear entity retcon predates the New 52, it's still possible this Hal-Parallax is possessed by it but not knowing it yet.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #42
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I agree, but since the Fear entity retcon predates the New 52, it's still possible this Hal-Parallax is possessed by it but not knowing it yet.
Yes, I agree. I went with what I think Parallax currently thinks of himself based on Convergence -- and was trying to keep my initial response less confusing, but I agree, it is very possible Renegade Hal will explain the parasite to this Parallax Hal...
Old 02-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #43
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

In the right hands, Parallax Hal can be, Hal's Ra's al Ghul, or Maestro (future version of the Hulk). An ultimate foe whose motivations are completely bad just complex, who only shows up once every few years for one heck of a storyline. He should never be over used, and saved for special big events/occasions. I hope the current GL writer (and the ones that follow) understand that. Especially if Sinestro is to remain an anti hero, then Hal needs a new big bad.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 PM   #44
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

They should flush Parallax and any mind-possessing entities. That stuff has outlived it usefulness. if it ever had any.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-09-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #45
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

It would be a hoot if Parallax Hal expelled the bug but still wanted to fix things. Explain or write his beliefs in a believable way and stop using the bug as a cop out. You don't have to agree with Magneto or Xavier to understand their reasoning. There could be a perfectly logical reason why Parallax Hal will forever be at odds with Green Lantern Hal.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #46
Lundonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
It would be a hoot if Parallax Hal expelled the bug but still wanted to fix things. Explain or write his beliefs in a believable way and stop using the bug as a cop out. You don't have to agree with Magneto or Xavier to understand their reasoning. There could be a perfectly logical reason why Parallax Hal will forever be at odds with Green Lantern Hal.
Well, I never bought into the idea we needed Parallax because he could be like Magneto - or Sinestro, plenty of anti-heroes and antagonists to choose from. That said, with the original Paralax out there, the interesting part for me against Renegade will be if either version of Hal finds a way to course correct for both of them. In other words can modern Hal turn Parallax from the essential dark side?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #47
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Okay, thematic arguments aside, we've all seen what a Parallax-empowered lantern can do. I mean, Parallax-empowered Sinestro killed all the old guardians with the exception of Ganthet. That was without taking all the collective power of the GLC or eating up their central battery.

But I think from reading everybody's subsequent posts I think I already have my answer. Parallax-Hal is basically (All the power of the GLC + Fear-Host-Avatar-thingy).

I think.

Vendetti or whomever probably won't capitalize on the fact that there is a essentially a Parallax clone there for Sinestro's taking from pre-New52 Parallax-Hal. I mean we already know from the Sinestro comics what he did with this universe's Parallax. He could use the power boost.

Just saying, there's a spare bulb right there, so to speak .... (not that the time continuities in either comic match up)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #48
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Vendetti seemed to purposely depower Parallax Hal. At his peak he recreated the multiverse but in one of his few recent appearances he was unable to reassemble Oa even though he thought that he could. Smart play you don't want Parallax at Super Sayian god mode, because that would mean Renegade Hal was at that level too, and godlike powerful characters are boring. I figure a little below Darkseid level powerful but above Superman level and typical Green Lantern level. I would hate for Sinestro to punk Parallax Hal, like he has punked GL Hal under Johns and how he punked the entity in his own Sinestro book.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #49
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
Vendetti seemed to purposely depower Parallax Hal. At his peak he recreated the multiverse but in one of his few recent appearances he was unable to reassemble Oa even though he thought that he could. Smart play you don't want Parallax at Super Sayian god mode, because that would mean Renegade Hal was at that level too, and godlike powerful characters are boring. I figure a little below Darkseid level powerful but above Superman level and typical Green Lantern level. I would hate for Sinestro to punk Parallax Hal, like he has punked GL Hal under Johns and how he punked the entity in his own Sinestro book.
Geoff loves Sinestro so much that he had him punk Hal. That's tragic.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #50
Locomoco808
Kilowog's Recruit

Ok experts, question on this Phantom Ring inclusion ......

From what I'm thinking this ring essentially is ..... a Bizarro white lantern ring?

Before they introduced this into the whole GL mythos they realized WL rings can use ANY power in the 7 spectrum range right?? I mean Kyle recently broke his ring and it shattered into the component 7 rings like Voltron.

So the phantom ring essentially does the same thing trans-spectrum thing like a white ring except no safety feature?? I guess the exiled guardian Rami didn't know white rings existed?